5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If I'm trying to go for a sweet scent/wild encounter, what should my settings be? You don't have to go through everything, it would help if you could just tell me what the Method and Encounter Type settings should be in BOTH windows (time finder AND the main window).

edit: and as a side question, IVRNG frames and PIDRNG frames are different?
PIDRNG frames are advanced by chatot pitches, and IVRNG frames are advanced by... what, walking 128 steps? What else? And do you have to advance your IVRNG frames first before you advance your PIDRNG frames?
The encounter type would just be (Wild Pokemon). You don't need to use the timer finder for anything other than the seed information regarding starting time/IVs/keypresses. Copy the seed to the main window, click the button that says calculate initial PIDRNG frame, and that will give you your starting frame.

As for the IVRNG, that what controls the IVs, and the PIDRNG controls the PID (ability/nature/shininess/gender/item). The PIDRNG is advanced by walking near grass, wandering NPCs, custom chatters, the C-gear, and a few other things. The IVRNG is advanced by walking, withdrawing a Pokemon from the PC, the C-gear, and battles.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
If I'm trying to go for a sweet scent/wild encounter, what should my settings be? You don't have to go through everything, it would help if you could just tell me what the Method and Encounter Type settings should be in BOTH windows (time finder AND the main window).

edit: and as a side question, IVRNG frames and PIDRNG frames are different?
PIDRNG frames are advanced by chatot pitches, and IVRNG frames are advanced by... what, walking 128 steps? What else? And do you have to advance your IVRNG frames first before you advance your PIDRNG frames?
Just as an add-on to what Agonist said (since I was thoroughly ninja'd), when you find your seeds, the time finder method should be "IVs (standard seed)" and you'd also have to input the encounter slot of whatever it is you are trying to rng (in addition to the method mentioned by Agonist). The main window would be method "Gen V PIDRNG" and the encounter type would again be "Wild Pokemon."

yes, the IVRNG is advanced by the number of Pokemon in your party every 128 steps. You don't have to advance it first, but if you will be walking, I would advance it first since that method also affects the PIDRNG, depending on your location.

Hello, sorry if this is a noobie question, but I couldn't find the latest version of RNG Reporter. I found the link on one of these threads, but the link is broken it just redirects to some error page.

Am I just looking in the wrong places? Can someone help me find the latest version please? The only download I could find was for an older version, and the instructions in the FAQ said to always use the latest version. Will this be an issue?

How are encounter slots affected by Swarm Pokémon? Thought of going for a Tyrogue but I don't know what encounter slot to go for

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
How are encounter slots affected by Swarm Pokémon? Thought of going for a Tyrogue but I don't know what encounter slot to go for
If you change the encounter type to Wild Pokemon (swarm) the reporter should take care of it for you. For example, if you choose that method in the main window, it will say "swarm" in the encounter slot column indicating that you will find the swarm Pokemon.

Edit: To answer your question specifically, I think they can appear in any encounter slot, so just choose a method of "Wild Pokemon (swarm)" and leave encounter slot as "any" in the time Finder and you should be good.

Last edited:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Edit: To answer your question specifically, I think they can appear in any encounter slot, so just choose a method of "Wild Pokemon (swarm)" and leave encounter slot as "any" in the time Finder and you should be good.
Yeah, they replace the normal encounter for any slot. Just make sure the date doesn't roll over on you while trying to abuse them, and you shouldn't have any difficulty with it.

Thanks for the help. Because of your help and some tinkering I caught myself a Jolly Shiny Cobalion 31/31/31/14/31/31! :)

I have one last question I think. NPC's walking randomly affects the PIDRNG frames? Or does it affect the IVRNG frames? Or both?

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks for the help. Because of your help and some tinkering I caught myself a Jolly Shiny Cobalion 31/31/31/14/31/31! :)

I have one last question I think. NPC's walking randomly affects the PIDRNG frames? Or does it affect the IVRNG frames? Or both?
Congrats! Glad I could help :)

They advance the PIDRNG frames only.

I'm using ivrng method to get a hidden power fire Latios on black 2. I've hit my seed several(around 12) times but I can't manage to get the nature I want I have a timid munna with synchronize in the lead and have tried saving again right in front of it but no thing helps is it just bad luck or does the 50% chance of synchronize decrease with rng?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I'm using ivrng method to get a hidden power fire Latios on black 2. I've hit my seed several(around 12) times but I can't manage to get the nature I want I have a timid munna with synchronize in the lead and have tried saving again right in front of it but no thing helps is it just bad luck or does the 50% chance of synchronize decrease with rng?
Could you post any screen shots, or provide the seed info, please? Are you advancing the PID frames at all (preferably with Chatot)? RNG doesn't affect the game at all (aside from requiring you to change the date) so it wouldn't have an effect on the percentage, but if you're doing the same thing every time, it makes sense that you would be getting the exact same results.

Hmm, I for some reason just CAN'T get this right. I'm using the 9.96.5 RNG Reporter
I'm on a 3DS XL. I'm trying to RNG a 31/30/30/31/31/31 Jolly Cobalion in Black 1

I found this spread...

And when I copy it into the main part of the program, then click Calculate Initial PIDRNG frame...

Is this correct so far?
So then it tells me...

NOW. Here is where I am confused.

Do I set the date to 12/27/09 and the time to 16:46, then hit A at 16:46:27 (8 seconds before it says)
Do I set the date to 12/27/09 and the time to 16:46, then hit A at 16:46:35 (does it use my profile to give me the proper 3DS time?)
Is 46 the frame I land on? Do I just go in and encounter?
Do I land on 1 and have to listen to Chatot 45 times?
Do I land on 0 and have to listen to Chatot 46 times?

Sorry haha, I used to do this a lot back in the Platinum era but it's been too long haha.

you start at :27 if using a 3ds.
normally you land on frame 46 and don;t need any more advancements, but if there are wnpcs in the area you won't be able to hit the first frame at all.

I hope this isn't too vague to answer but I'm having serious troubles. Not only am I failing to hit my desired seed, I am failing to hit any seed in the nearby range for some reason.

I'm RNGing a Terrakion. I started out with a seed that started on the PID I wanted. Doing this I was able to hit nearby seeds (different timer0) though I was 2 frames ahead each time due to WNPCs. I changed my seed to something more appropriate but I've reset about 5 times and have not hit any seed in a range of 20 seconds and 25 timer0s. I've triple checked my time, I'm using my calibrated settings, I don't see what I could possibly be doing wrong here. I'm using serebii's IV calculator, I'm immediately battling Terrakion, I'm not holding down any buttons I shouldn't be, I'm not turning on C-Gear. I'm using the Mac PPRNG program. The exact settings and everything for the seed can be seen in this screenshot: http://puu.sh/5Xw33.png.

you start at :27 if using a 3ds.
normally you land on frame 46 and don;t need any more advancements, but if there are wnpcs in the area you won't be able to hit the first frame at all.
Thank you! But still even with this helpful info, it is just not working. I have matched Jolly occasionally but never the stats. :/
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is there a way to see where I landed so I know what to adjust?

EDIT: Oh duh, right click. AHA! I was a second too early many times. Time to adjust...

EDIT: WOOOOOOO! I had to wait an an extra second but I got it. Maybe I was just doing my sync a little too quickly. Thanks so much Kadabrium!

Last edited:

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
I hope this isn't too vague to answer but I'm having serious troubles. Not only am I failing to hit my desired seed, I am failing to hit any seed in the nearby range for some reason.

I'm RNGing a Terrakion. I started out with a seed that started on the PID I wanted. Doing this I was able to hit nearby seeds (different timer0) though I was 2 frames ahead each time due to WNPCs. I changed my seed to something more appropriate but I've reset about 5 times and have not hit any seed in a range of 20 seconds and 25 timer0s. I've triple checked my time, I'm using my calibrated settings, I don't see what I could possibly be doing wrong here. I'm using serebii's IV calculator, I'm immediately battling Terrakion, I'm not holding down any buttons I shouldn't be, I'm not turning on C-Gear. I'm using the Mac PPRNG program. The exact settings and everything for the seed can be seen in this screenshot: http://puu.sh/5Xw33.png.
If you aren't advancing the IV frame, you can always input the IVs in the DS Parameter Searcher to see what seed you hit.

There's no way for me to get 100% accurate IVs without saving the game since I'm using a retail cart. Is there a certain parameter other than time and timer0 that would be off somehow?

chiizu

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP RNG
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
There's no way for me to get 100% accurate IVs without saving the game since I'm using a retail cart. Is there a certain parameter other than time and timer0 that would be off somehow?
You don't need 100% accurate IVs. PPRNG accepts IV ranges. If the level is too low, you can use rare candies since you won't be saving anyway.

If you are on a 3DS with Black2/White2 it's possible that VCount varies slightly. Again, the DS Parameter Searcher can help you here.

I can use the program fine by using the default settings, but I'm wondering, what do the parameters {actual seconds, VCount, Timer0, GxStat, VFrame} mean?

I am using the PIDRNG method to catch a hp fire Latinos in black 2
My question is if it says my starting frame is 52 and the actual frame I want is 57 does that mean I should ACTUALLY start at 52 compare the noises and go till 56.
In the time finder my frame is 1 and set to min 1 and max 1. The seed is 7460AE23AD926AF7

I'm pretty new to RNGing (trying for white and black 2) and I have some questions. I just dled and installed RNG Reporter and I'm trying to calibrate my parameters. I click "DS PArameters Search" and fill in my version, language, DS type and DS Mac Address. I saved in cave 1 of victory road and caught the first pokemon with sweet scent and found its IVs using pokecheck. I enter those in the DS PArameter Finder and click search but nothing appears in the grey results box. Am I doing something wrong?

So I've been trying to get a Latias in White 2 with a regular IVRNG method, not PIDRNG. I've done this successfully on a Terrakion in Black, and I'm assuming it's the same method in White 2. However, whenever I advance the frames, I get the wrong Latias. Is there something I need to be informed about? Like starting frames or anything? For example, I assume I start on frame 1, and there's a seed which says is on frame 36. I put 5 mons in my party, save two steps before the encounter spot. I start up my game at the required time, account for delay (1 second), do the number of steps to advance the frames, and step into the encounter spot at the last step (896th step). However, I keep getting the wrong stats.

What am I doing wrong? Is Latias not considered a Stationary Pokemon or something?

I know NPC movement in the Dreamyard affects PID, but it's not supposed to affect IVRNG right?

And does it have something to do with BW2? Can I not use the methods for BW IVRNG?

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
So I've been trying to get a Latias in White 2 with a regular IVRNG method, not PIDRNG. I've done this successfully on a Terrakion in Black, and I'm assuming it's the same method in White 2. However, whenever I advance the frames, I get the wrong Latias. Is there something I need to be informed about? Like starting frames or anything? For example, I assume I start on frame 1, and there's a seed which says is on frame 36. I put 5 mons in my party, save two steps before the encounter spot. I start up my game at the required time, account for delay (1 second), do the number of steps to advance the frames, and step into the encounter spot at the last step (896th step). However, I keep getting the wrong stats.

What am I doing wrong? Is Latias not considered a Stationary Pokemon or something?

I know NPC movement in the Dreamyard affects PID, but it's not supposed to affect IVRNG right?

And does it have something to do with BW2? Can I not use the methods for BW IVRNG?
Yes there is one NPC IIRC, and it is doing the screw-ups on the advances, so doing IV advances isn't recommended.
Just do the PID advances, not the IVs.... easier that way ;)

I'm pretty new to RNGing (trying for white and black 2) and I have some questions. I just dled and installed RNG Reporter and I'm trying to calibrate my parameters. I click "DS PArameters Search" and fill in my version, language, DS type and DS Mac Address. I saved in cave 1 of victory road and caught the first pokemon with sweet scent and found its IVs using pokecheck. I enter those in the DS PArameter Finder and click search but nothing appears in the grey results box. Am I doing something wrong?
Did you take the time carefully? are you using a stopwatcher or the Eon Timer to do so? In my experience you don't get any results is your time is a little off. Try Calibrating again using the Eon timer to hit your second.

Hi I've been RNG'ing a Terrakion I hit my seed with the IVs 31/31/31/31/31/31 but it has the wrong nature? What did I do wrong?
This is kinda vague, more info could be helpful. In the meanwhile, what is your starting frame?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)