Pokémon Entei

Status
Not open for further replies.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Most of the burns are coming from Scald and WoW on Ghosts - all special attackers. Physical Entei is going to be scary.

A classic resttalk Milotic seems like it would make a near perfect counter. It doesn't mind switching into sacred fire (and the burn just boosts it's defense). Bulldoze, Extremespeed, and Stone Edge do next to nothing, while it can either scald entei or dragon tail it through some rocks.

If anyone feels like doing calcs (I'm lazy):
Milotic @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Scald

The PP on Sacred Fire is pretty irrelevant, as Entei is an early game 'Mon. The objective is to switch him into a WoW, punch holes in stuff, then die and let your set-up sweepers clean up. I think.
This. Also later on when your PP are gone on Sacred Fire (if game lasts long enough or you had many switch-in opportiunities) you may just switch-off to Flare Blitz or your coverage moves. Early game - just try to burn as much stuff as possible, while later on spam different moves. Everything should be crippled to the point where your coverage moves are enough to keep offensive pressure. Of course this is ideal situation, but as long as you cripple 2-3 mons Entei IMO did his job. At least on Choice Band set.

A classic resttalk Milotic seems like it would make a near perfect counter. It doesn't mind switching into sacred fire (and the burn just boosts it's defense). Bulldoze, Extremespeed, and Stone Edge do next to nothing, while it can either scald entei or dragon tail it through some rocks.

If anyone feels like doing calcs (I'm lazy):
Milotic @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Scald
RestTalk Suicune should do the trick as well, while IMO being slightly better RestTalker for OU enviroment. Bulky Starmie should be ok as well, as in case of burn it may just switch out and heal burn with Natural Cure. Politoad should easily handle him as well, problem is that burn may still be a bit annoying. Defensive Poison Heal Gliscor can do the trick as well, but CB Sacred Fire hits for
43.47%-51.14% but thanks to Poison Heal (and Protect) he can't 2HKO you back and can't burn you. Although it would be better to have Poison Heal active or hope that you won't get unlucky burn at turn 1.

RestTalk Suicune should do the trick as well, while IMO being slightly better RestTalker for OU enviroment. Bulky Starmie should be ok as well, as in case of burn it may just switch out and heal burn with Natural Cure. Politoad should easily handle him as well, problem is that burn may still be a bit annoying. Defensive Poison Heal Gliscor can do the trick as well, but CB Sacred Fire hits for
43.47%-51.14% but thanks to Poison Heal (and Protect) he can't 2HKO you back and can't burn you. Although it would be better to have Poison Heal active or hope that you won't get unlucky burn at turn 1.
RestTalk Suicune isn't exactly better suited to the offensive environment; he's less bulky, and if he runs calm mind he's walled by quite a few pokemon, and it he runs two move coverage he's left quite prone to set up by any water type (think Calm Mind Keldeo, Belly Drum Azu, Swords Dance Crawdaunt, etc.

Oh, right, forgot roar. Nvm.

Milotic does still posses slightly superior bulk and a better ability though, so it's definitely worth the consideration.

If Entei somehow MANAGED to get off 8 Sacred Fires, that's a good thing. Honestly it'd be pretty fricking amazing. If you wanted power, Choice Band and Flare Blitz is there for you, which you might as well use Talonflame or Infernape for for their superior speed. I think Assault Vest + Sacred Fire burns make for something bulkier than many would anticipate, while doing damn good damage at that. Could switch into Ice Beams and Moonblasts aimed at Dragons like they were nothing at that point. Seriously, once this thing gets popular, he's going to prompt switches. And ironically if Flash Fire came out than opposing Entei would be the best switch in lol.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I used CB Entei briefly in Showdown today in a team consisted of phys defensive Skarmory/SpD Hippo/SD mega Luke/Gengar/Sub Kyu-B and it was AWESOME. It throws people off-guard and Sacred Fire hits a lot, seriously. And the 50% burn chance is the icing on the cake. Fucking wonderful. Awesome. Beautiful <3

I'm probably going to try an AV set next, I've been too tempted. But I like the immediate power and offensive pressure of the CB set.

And ironically if Flash Fire came out than opposing Entei would be the best switch in lol.
Nah, Stone Edge.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think the best sets for Entei are gonna be the CB set or flame charge LO

Flame Charge
Sacred Fire
Stone Edge / Bulldoze
Extreme Speed

the flame charge set could very well be garbage, but im very confident that the CB set is going to propel it to OU. With defog or a good spinner, getting rocks off the field is not a problem. and you can just nuke opposing teams with whatever attack you want to use.

168+ Atk Entei Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 180-212 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just want to point out that if anyone wants to run a more defensive Entei set that I think enough Attack to 2HKO standard Skarmory is probably a good benchmark. Adamant with 168 At EVs guarantees 2HKO with Leftovers, not counting Burn or Stealth Rock. You could get away with a lot less if you factor those in.

Most of the burns are coming from Scald and WoW on Ghosts - all special attackers. Physical Entei is going to be scary.
You are forgetting Trevenant and Gourgiest

Overall, it seems now stall players have another threat outside all those dark types (with knock off) to play around, not a good news at all = =

Last edited:

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
You are forgetting Trevenant and Gourgiest

Overall, it seems now stall players have another threat outside all those dark types (with knock off) to play around, not a good news at all = =
"WoW on Ghosts."

Does that not include Trevenant and Gourgeist?

I've been trying out a stally set of:

Entei w/ Leftovers
252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Speed Careful (speed creeps max speed neutral nature base 70s like Breloom, Cloyster, Bisharp, Metagross and Skarmory)
Sacred Fire
Roar
Rest
Sleep Talk

Basically, make sure you have some hazards down for the best effect, then Sacred Fire anything in sight until it gets burned. Roar it out and repeat. When your health gets low, use Rest. Then, Sleep Talk to rack up more burns and hazards damage. The nice perk with Sleep Talk on a phazer is that Sleep Talk will use whatever move it summons at regular priority (so Roar can potentially go first if you're faster), and that's part of why I like to outspeed stuff with Entei and have tried some faster EV spreads but the bulk difference is noticeable. Also, it's nice to be able to burn physical attackers before they hit back.

You can go physically defensive too, I suppose, it depends on whether you want to be kind of balanced and wall burned physical attackers and weaker special attackers, or if you want to go all out physical and just be a great wall at where you focus. Makes a big difference though. Some calcs from very common pokes running around:

Vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD / 0 Def Entei
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Entei: 218-258 (50.2 - 59.4%) -- 73.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Entei: 270-318 (62.2 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Entei: 108-127 (24.8 - 29.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Entei: 137-162 (31.5 - 37.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Entei: 122-144 (28.1 - 33.1%) -- 88.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 240+ SpD Entei: 144-170 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 10.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meanwhile, if you shift those 240 SpD EVs to Def and Impish naute:
4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 314-372 (72.3 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Entei: 190-225 (43.7 - 51.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 156-184 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- 92.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Entei: 97-115 (22.3 - 26.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 SpA Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 176-208 (40.5 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Entei: 206-244 (47.4 - 56.2%) -- 25.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So hopefully that can paint a decent picture. Also, I just realized this is a surprisingly decent Genesect counter, provided you don't have hazards on your side or you'll get really worn down switching into U-turns all the time.

Once Flash Fire is released, I think Entei will be one of the best users of Assault Vest. For one, Sacred Fire hits like a truck and a burn is like buffing up your Def, so you can run just a standard Atk / Spe set with Adamant Nature. Assault Vest boosts your Special Defense immensely anyways, so you won't have to worry there either. Your main move will be Sacred Fire and then Extremespeed will kill weakened threats once they are at ~17% or so. You'll want Stone Edge as coverage and do whatever you want for the last slot: Eruption, Extrasensory, Shadow Ball, Overheat, Giga Impact, Bulldoze, etc., but not like you'll be using it anyways. Entei has 115 Base HP which is really good for tanking hits, so that will make it really viable. The weather nerd makes rain a non-factor in its potential, so thank god Gamefreak gave it to it this generation. The next best set is the Choice band! since it hits ridiculously hard and it's bulk complements the burn chance. Extremespeed will make Choice Band really good too. Life Orb seems interesting, but the damage is probably going to be a problem for it, since it's bulky and has no reliable recovery. Well, these are my thoughts on Entei and it will definitely see some use. X/Y also gave it an epic design IMO. Stealth Rock though... And probably water weakness will hold it back.

Once Flash Fire is released, I think Entei will be one of the best users of Assault Vest. For one, Sacred Fire hits like a truck and a burn is like buffing up your Def, so you can run just a standard Atk / Spe set with Adamant Nature. Assault Vest boosts your Special Defense immensely anyways, so you won't have to worry there either. Your main move will be Sacred Fire and then Extremespeed will kill weakened threats once they are at ~17% or so. You'll want Stone Edge as coverage and do whatever you want for the last slot: Eruption, Extrasensory, Shadow Ball, Overheat, Giga Impact, Bulldoze, etc., but not like you'll be using it anyways. Entei has 115 Base HP which is really good for tanking hits, so that will make it really viable. The weather nerd makes rain a non-factor in its potential, so thank god Gamefreak gave it to it this generation. The next best set is the Choice band! since it hits ridiculously hard and it's bulk complements the burn chance. Extremespeed will make Choice Band really good too. Life Orb seems interesting, but the damage is probably going to be a problem for it, since it's bulky and has no reliable recovery. Well, these are my thoughts on Entei and it will definitely see some use. X/Y also gave it an epic design IMO. Stealth Rock though... And probably water weakness will hold it back.

Extremespeed + flash fire is Illegal, as Extremespeed is an Gen 4 event.

Iron head/tail looks like it can fit in amazing! it hits fairys, and rock types which the latter would resist all your moves

Iron head/tail looks like it can fit in amazing! it hits fairys, and rock types which the latter would resist all your moves
Well no you could always hit Rock-Types with Stone Edge, and nothing's new about Iron head being there besides that it now smacks the occasional Fairy. (But what will you hit? Azumarill for standard effectivity?)

Also, Bulk doesn't come much into the Arcanine/Entei debate. Entei is making up some ground on the former but I think the discussed Electric and Fighting movepool is the most important thing. Remember, Fighting hits those rock-types well too, and Electric gets Water-Types harder than anything Entei has.
I don't see an awful lot happening to Entei in Gen VI.

To the people who've been testing Entei, which CB set seems to be most effective so far? Standard 252/252 Atk/Spd, or is there an important power/speed benchmark he can hit which allows him to invest more in bulk?

To the people who've been testing Entei, which CB set seems to be most effective so far? Standard 252/252 Atk/Spd, or is there an important power/speed benchmark he can hit which allows him to invest more in bulk?
As a base 100, I think it's important to always run max Spe and Jolly.

I as many people know am a huge arcanine fan and while i think arcanine will be the better tank i am thouroughly excited for entai this gen as i love dogs and physical fire types that are not infernape. Even then i think entai will be a welcome addition to the meta and even if it doesnt make ou it will still be very viable.

Adamant means you are outsped by Jolly Excadrill by 3 points. You'll also be outsped by max speed Hyderigon, Excadrill, Haxorus, Landorus-T, Lucario, Kyurem-B, Roserade, and Mega Garchomp. Excadrill and Landlos primarily will be a problem unless you use Balloon. Max speed Adamant puts you just over Timid Rotom-W, although that version usually runs Choice Scarf. I think at the least you want 288 Speed to outrun Gyarados and Mega Venusaur/Dragonite/Mamoswine.

I think bulldoze should be used as the fourth move. Sacred Fire and Extreme Speed are usually the only moves needed, but Entei attracts Heatran like moths to a light. It's a clean 2hko with max attack, and has niche uses outside of that if for some reason hitting a predicted switch with a speed drop is more important than burning it. I don't know if I'd run it on a banded set though, as being locked into non stab bulldoze is iffy to say the least.

Extremespeed + flash fire is Illegal, as Extremespeed is an Gen 4 event.

It's legal since SF if from move relearner, the only implication about using ES is that you cannot use Jolly, which may or may not be significant, we'll see.

These are some speed Benchmarks to aim for, not sure about power ones though.
  • 196 Adamant outspeeds 252 Jolly Mamoswine, Dragonite, Venusaur and speedties with 220 Adamant Haxorus
  • 96 Adamant outspeeds 252 Neutral Mamoswine, Dragonite, Venusaur
  • 40 Adamant outspeeds Standard Gliscor, Defensive Celebi, Zapdos
  • 252 Jolly outspeeds Scarfless Genesect, and speedties with other base 100s (for obvious reasons), but no ESpeed

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks Banded Entei should run BOTH Flare Blitz and Sacred Fire? Both clearly have their advantages, and Entei's physical movepool is so bad that it isn't missing much if you run both, (let's be honest guys, Bulldoze is crap.)

Well it all depends if you're not gonna put any supporting moves or not, or if your set needs filler, which with SF, doesnt seem to be a problem anymore, pretty much if you need filler it's gonna be ES if you feel you can run adamant or Iron head for any other nature

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Am I the only one who thinks Banded Entei should run BOTH Flare Blitz and Sacred Fire? Both clearly have their advantages, and Entei's physical movepool is so bad that it isn't missing much if you run both, (let's be honest guys, Bulldoze is crap.)
Bulldoze might be crap

But Heatran a shit

Heatran is the reason a LOT of Pokemon have to run moves they would never run, just to hit it. Entei is already struggling enough vs the meta as is, no reason to run Blitz + Fire and make Entei lose to Heatran too when he has the option to actually OHKO him when Banded. Heatran will be his #1 switch-in, so a way to beat him is practically mandatory.

Being able to freely spam Sacred Fire whenever is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)