Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Watch out, Layell, Wobble might write a song about you in his next album for revenge. :C

Also, you somehow always say that you're going to do an update hours before I'm about to post something important. And inside, I'm screaming, "Wait. WAIT!"

Well... I'm more sorry to Siiilver than anyone else. But it's been bothering me more and more how odd Fletchling looks, especially after I saw the versions by GeoisEvil and N-kin.

above left: Geo; above right: N-Kin

I was about 90 percent sure that I wanted to do a Binky revamp, and I feel that it turned out great. As mentioned in the master list, my main problem with the other sprite is how flat it is and how the front kind of looks like it's staring at us rather than the enemy. Also, it wasn't cute enough.

Before I go on with Chesnaught's back, I'd just like to talk about Helioptile for a moment.

The current Helioptile appears far too large compared to most other sprites. See below (3rd from left):

Helioptile's height is said to be 1'08'', same as Treecko. But the current Helioptile sprite (3rd from left), while nearly identical in pixel height to Treecko's sprite, clearly has a far larger head. In fact, Helioptile's head seems arguably larger than Charizard's! It's fair to say that the current Helioptile is out of proportion.

The reason is that for most Pokemon with a snake-like physique (like Helioptile), their recorded height is not their vertical height, but the length from head to tail. This is evidenced by Arbok having the same height as Groudon, Serperior having the same height as Kyurem-B, and Dragonair being taller than Dragonite/Regigigas.

This means that Heloptile's given height of 1'08'' is longer than his vertical height; in short, Helioptile's sprite should be shorter.

So! I propose a shrunken Helioptile -- the 1st from the left.
Y/N?

princessofmusic said:
Well... I'm more sorry to Siiilver than anyone else.
fletchling just needs to have a little longer legs. I think. And maybe a sharper beak. And the thing I have with n-kin's thing is, it doesn't really look gen-5 ish. Sharpening the beak wouldn't be a prob. And about your QC, PoM, it looks a bit wonky. I think the beak should be lowered by 1 pixel. That's it. Replacing the current legs with yours shouldn't be a prob either. Also, don't feel too sorry for me. I don't have a BIG job to do. I feel more sorry for LU. The entire Malamar he animated had to be scrapped =/

the change...

left: old. Right: new

I just took PoM's and changed the beak a bit. Though I'm pretty sure it isn't accurate though... =/

Last edited:
So here's Chesnaught's back QC'd.

The front's gone through some slight colour changes as well.
...Yeah, I don't really like it at all....

EDIT: princessofmusic Ahh dangit I didn't see the updated version. Will do!
And yeah I was referring to the back.

Last edited:
Before I forget...

I didn't make this, but if you go to my profile, you'll see that Turtleye has been having problems with posting on the forums and left me a message with this instead. I like it, so I think that we should ask for a matching back.

K I fixed the problem Fuck you too IE.
Anyway, I'm here to drop MegaZam QC. I redid the eye and did a bit to the color scheme 'cause it looked a tad to dull to me.
I can change the colors right back if you want that thou.

And besides that, I felt this needed to be done:

Merry (late) Christmas everyone! :D

Oh and this:
Name: Turtleye

1. How did you choose your Smogon username?
- Well this one is easy. I like Turtles. So one day, I decided to sign up for a game about mouses, called TransForMice (it's not known much but meh, it's fun). But The name ''Turtle'' was already taken, so I decided to randomly put -ye behind. And my nickname was born. Before I made that name up, my username was TorterraTheBest. :p

2. What is your favourite colour? (you may pick more than one, limit 3)
- I must say, Green and Orange take first spot. Then Sky Blue follows.

3. Approximately how long have you been spriting?
- at least 3 years, but I ''paused'' in 2012

4. Why did you join the sprite project? (write as little as one sentence, or as much as a paragraph)
- It got my attention and I was actually one of the first to join, but I got kinda ignored. So I waited a bit after I found out I suck at making up sprites. I'm better at editing them xD.

5. a) What are your favourite Pokemon? Pick three.
1. Torterra
2. Luxray
3. Staraptor
(Basically my first Pearl team. I love them <3)

5. b) What is your favourite gen. 6 Pokemon?5
- Eh, hard one. But I'd say Talonflame. (Lol I dont own a 3DS or 2DS)

6. If you were a Pokemon, what would you be, and why?
- Hard one as well. Every Pokemon is awesome. But I'd like to be able to fly so probably Swellow or Braviary.

7. Describe your competitive Pokemon experience, e.g., favourite tier(s).
- When I firts Joined Smogon, I didn't post for about mid July. I joined in May i think. end May. So I started in UU, because OU was too ''mainstream'' IMO. But I didn't like UU (too much of the same stuff everywhere!) and dropped down one tier. I loved it right away because it was balanced and there were a lot of fun pokes. Even Torterra was viable there which made me happy =). Then arrived the time when I wanted to sign up for the RU Open. Around that time I joined the project as well. and signing in was the. Worst. Decision. Ever. Look it up in the thread for yourselves. But yea, after that I kinda quitted for a week or 2. Then i returned and took a fresh start (kinda) with my own built manual rain team in RU. From then on I still failed at battling but I enjoyed it.

OPTIONAL QUESTIONS:

8. Cool/random facts about yourself? What do you like to do outside of art/spriting?
- I wear glasses. And I like buildin' stuff in Minecraft. I'm quite good at that ^^

9. Which sprites have been your favourite to work on?/Which do you think turned out the best?
- I can't really answer this, since none of my work so far got onto the sheet or is replaced. For a reason, others were better. But the one I had most fun with was definitely my try at MegaSaur

10. Any shout-outs to your fellow spriters?
- You're doing an amazing job, keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Before I go on with Chesnaught's back, I'd just like to talk about Helioptile for a moment.

The current Helioptile appears far too large compared to most other sprites. See below (3rd from left):

Helioptile's height is said to be 1'08'', same as Treecko. But the current Helioptile sprite (3rd from left), while nearly identical in pixel height to Treecko's sprite, clearly has a far larger head. In fact, Helioptile's head seems arguably larger than Charizard's! It's fair to say that the current Helioptile is out of proportion.

The reason is that for most Pokemon with a snake-like physique (like Helioptile), their recorded height is not their vertical height, but the length from head to tail. This is evidenced by Arbok having the same height as Groudon, Serperior having the same height as Kyurem-B, and Dragonair being taller than Dragonite/Regigigas.

This means that Heloptile's given height of 1'08'' is longer than his vertical height; in short, Helioptile's sprite should be shorter.

So! I propose a shrunken Helioptile -- the 1st from the left.
Y/N?
Good call. Mini Helioptile does not disappoint! Just wanted to make a few changes with it.

Is this all right?

Right, 'twas the best I could do

And here's the ChariXards with less pronounced foreheads

Was this what you had in mind princessofmusic? It's odd, because I originally took the heads from normal Charizard, and already reduced the forehead alot.
Now I'm tempted to call it Flathead.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel like this is not game freak's style... Not just the teeth, but it as a whole.
This isn't exactly a helpful thing because yes that sprite is in BW style, it uses the correct colours, the correct contrast, the correct shading techniques. We just are constrained by limits of pixels that have been shed in the sixth generation.

I'll take a look at some shiny recolouring for that gyara in time but some good teeth improvement.

After basking in the green gardens of Bulbapedia researching about Pokemon sizes and such, I'm contemplating to alter the size of the current Helioptile sprite. Although Ice-Cold Claws is correct, that the old sprite is too big, I just think that the new one should be a tad bit larger. Like we're talking about, a pixel or two taller. The reason behind it is that Helioptile's size is taken from a vertical height, as opposed from head to tail. ICC is again, correct about how Arbok and Serperior is smaller than Groudon and Kyurem-B respectively for such reasons. Now moving onto Helioptile, although it has a serpentine body, let's not forget that he has legs. That puts him into the group of bipedal pokemon with tails. Compared to Pokemon belonging in the same grouping as him with the same height, he just fell short by mere pixels. Those Pokemon were Squirtle and Mankey. Some other Pokemon are Chimchar and Oshawott (although this otter is smaller compared to them @_@).

Basically, what I'm just saying is that Helioptile should be about the same size as the listed Pokemon above. I mainly use Squirtle as a reference.

So yeah, lol. Again, I'm just hesitating to enlarge the new sprite because we're just talking about a pixel or two difference in height. So, do ya'll think that it's even necessary to resize lil' Helioptile ?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
After basking in the green gardens of Bulbapedia researching about Pokemon sizes and such, I'm contemplating to alter the size of the current Helioptile sprite. Although Ice-Cold Claws is correct, that the old sprite is too big, I just think that the new one should be a tad bit larger. Like we're talking about, a pixel or two taller. The reason behind it is that Helioptile's size is taken from a vertical height, as opposed from head to tail. ICC is again, correct about how Arbok and Serperior is smaller than Groudon and Kyurem-B respectively for such reasons. Now moving onto Helioptile, although it has a serpentine body, let's not forget that he has legs. That puts him into the group of bipedal pokemon with tails. Compared to Pokemon belonging in the same grouping as him with the same height, he just fell short by mere pixels. Those Pokemon were Squirtle and Mankey. Some other Pokemon are Chimchar and Oshawott (although this otter is smaller compared to them @_@).

Basically, what I'm just saying is that Helioptile should be about the same size as the listed Pokemon above. I mainly use Squirtle as a reference.

So yeah, lol. Again, I'm just hesitating to enlarge the new sprite because we're just talking about a pixel or two difference in height. So, do ya'll think that it's even necessary to resize lil' Helioptile ?
Here's something that can help. You see that he has a big head compared to his body right? So I looked at a few pokemon that have a somewhat similar body structure and these are what I found that are a bit similar regardless of being the wrong size.

They have big heads compared to their bodies as well. So when comparing heliotile to them, Its pretty accurate. Maybe it might need a couple tweaks here and there to make it even better but it looks like its just about done. Maybe try making his head a pixel wider or adjusting his chin to see how it would look.

Edit: I like the edited charizard x. The forehead looks much better now. Another thing I would look at for it is its tail fire on the back sprite. Think it should be moved slightly to the left or if you are limited in space, you could edit the flame to make it not look like its shooting straight up from the tail at that angle.

So, I just thought that I'd pop in here and post a palette-updated Heliolisk sprite in accordance to princessofmusic's master list:

Also, I had been having some computer issues, but they're all fixed now, so I should be able to post more of the shinies I mentioned I had earlier soon.

So, I just thought that I'd pop in here and post a palette-updated Heliolisk sprite in accordance to princessofmusic's master list:

Also, I had been having some computer issues, but they're all fixed now, so I should be able to post more of the shinies I mentioned I had earlier soon.
Still think the brightest blue in the eye should be removed - both Helioptile and Heliolisk have the same eye style so why would one have a blue inside eye whilst the other is white?

leafbarrett

Better than he thinks
So, before I spend more of my time on this, I want to ask: Are we allowed to attempt QC at our own discretion, or do we need permission, or... what?

MBCMechachu

formerly Pikafan2000
is an Artist
Still think the brightest blue in the eye should be removed - both Helioptile and Heliolisk have the same eye style so why would one have a blue inside eye whilst the other is white?
I have that exact Heliolisk sprite on deviantart but I made some improvements on it myself. As you can see I made the head look the other way thus having to repostion the entire sprite in order to fit in with the changes. Along with it I slightly adjusted the color scheme to it using some of the colors similar to the ones used on the 3D model.

Attachments

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To better keep track of things I've colorued orange everything else I think never needs to be touched again, so if you think they need QC edits you'll want to talk to me first. For the most part this is everything that has been approved for animation (with some notable exceptions that have already been discussed).

This also gives me a better idea of how far along we are, I'm visual like that.

I have that exact Heliolisk sprite on deviantart but I made some improvements on it myself. As you can see I made the head look the other way thus having to repostion the entire sprite in order to fit in with the changes. Along with it I slightly adjusted the color scheme to it using some of the colors similar to the ones used on the 3D model.
Think you missed the point of what I was saying - there's a bright blue pixel that I feel looks very out of place at the top left of it's eye (lemme show you the old one I had):

heliolisk.png

Given Helioptile and Heliolisk have the same eyestyle (albeit Heliolisk is slightly angrier), I feel that part of the eye should be white instead of bright blue.

His eye kept bothering me, so:

-Reverted left eye back to Arkeis' design
-Moved right eye up one pixel
-Thickened his horn to accommodate the eye changes
-Made his tail a bit bulkier to fix the perspective
-Tried to make his tail fins more like the in-game model

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
Attention all spriters.

So princessofmusic and I discovered earlier in the month that we live in the same relative area, after she was given the animation veto. So we are going to take advantage of that and meet up, eat some food, play pokemon, and more importantly talk about sprites (or even make sprites who knows)! This is going to happen on Monday the 30th, we will try to document this occasion to the best of our ability. Most importantly this will be one of the rare times we can run through a lot of content in a short amount of time, knowing the both of us that will probably involve everything. But if you want us to consider certain things do consider messaging one/both of us the day before and we will do our best to figure everything out.

Quany did a few Zygarde edits, and I'm doing some more. I've made the front bigger and am working to make the back bigger as well. It's going well and looks like a properly menacingly sized legendary slug.

Last edited:
So yeah. I did the backs of MegaZam and Mega Blaziken. JShowing the complete QC on both
Mega Alakazam:

So, not much difference really. I made the eye bigger so 'Zam now has an eye and he doesn't look as psychopatic anymore as he did. Aside from that, I only slightly changed the colors of the highlights so he looks somewhat better in my opinion.

Next up is Blaziken:

The only note here was to make the flames look less like they're made out of paper. Done. However I had found that the flames of Blazikens right hand of the backsprite looked like they were not going behind him.
Thats what mean. It looks like they go towards the opponent.
So I changed that. It doesn't look like anything with much effort but it was rather difficult since the red parts of the flames are the same color as the base red used for the body. So yeah. I also slightly edited the ''horn'' so it's not sticking out too much.

Also, yay for my first QC's :p

Also one question; why is #xysprites so dead

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 46)