Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

OK, it's time for an intervention.

We have to work fast before his drug addiction causes permanent damage to his body
It's funny because coming into this project, I saw Dragalgae's pre-release screenshot and thought, "Boy, I sure feel sorry for the poor sap who has to sprite out Methdra over there." And here I am, fresh from the maple.

Alright, so before we have another Noivern on our hands, let's get some of the proportions talk out of the way now, before I add shading and make it harder to correct at a later date. This here is the current WIP of Dragalgae I threw together in around three hours. It's proportions are based primarily on in-game screenshots such as this one, with some ideas of depth and width integrated from the official art. Mainly just tossing this out for two reasons: one, to see if everyone is cool with the current proportions before I move on to shading; two, to show what I've been working on for the past day. This morning, however, I decided to break from this beasty to work on some of my other more metallic friends.

So hoipefully this fixes the orientation issue. Re-oriented the head quite a bit in order to make more of the side show with a few minor touch-ups around it. New one is the one on the left, old is on the right for comparison. I'd like to know if I'm on the right track here or not, or hey, even if it looks good enough to progress on. But yeah, I have more steel to come. i'm going to burn in hell for that pun

So hey, I tinkered with the swords some more. I think the one on the left (relative to us in both cases) should still have some slight angling to it, as without the angling, it just looks kinda flat, and not like its facing the opponent. Each of the two sets has slight differences, although currently I'm partial to using the left column. Bottom left's sword is slightly wider on right blade and left blade has a less obvious angling on the interior as well as a clearer tip. Top left looks more angled to the opponent, as previously mentioned. Tips on these would be appreciated.

PoM's original edits:

Sláinte.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Would like to point out that, Gardevoir Mega Evolves into the shiny version over PS.

EDIT: Mega Charizard Y is also suffering the same effect

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Would like to point out that, Gardevoir Mega Evolves into the shiny version over PS.
From the dex and pokemonshowdown.com/sprites directory it looks all good so this should probably sort itself out on the next server reset.

(I did however notice the shiny gard static sprite uses a different palette for the blacks than the animated one, time to fix that!)

OK, it's time for an intervention.

We have to work fast before his drug addiction causes permanent damage to his body
It's funny because coming into this project, I saw Dragalgae's pre-release screenshot and thought, "Boy, I sure feel sorry for the poor sap who has to sprite out Methdra over there." And here I am, fresh from the maple.

Alright, so before we have another Noivern on our hands, let's get some of the proportions talk out of the way now, before I add shading and make it harder to correct at a later date. This here is the current WIP of Dragalgae I threw together in around three hours. It's proportions are based primarily on in-game screenshots such as this one, with some ideas of depth and width integrated from the official art. Mainly just tossing this out for two reasons: one, to see if everyone is cool with the current proportions before I move on to shading; two, to show what I've been working on for the past day. This morning, however, I decided to break from this beasty to work on some of my other more metallic friends.
Dragalge is gorgeous. I think that I prefer the left Doublade column as well.

Just out of curiosity, will the revamped cries be added later on in the future or am I asking this too soon? I've been following the progress of this project since day 1 and I'm genuinely into this little organisation that's going on here! Keep up the great work :]

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just out of curiosity, will the revamped cries be added later on in the future or am I asking this too soon? I've been following the progress of this project since day 1 and I'm genuinely into this little organisation that's going on here! Keep up the great work :]
The cries aren't technically part of pixel art but it might be something I tackle outside of this thread, a method of recording cries was recently found so I really just need to find enough people who are willing and able.

EDIT:

check this crazy stuff out

>

>

Quanyails corrected a ton of butt and front flowers. I made this thing much bigger, it can now stand among its legendary peers.

(it's still a crappy sea slug that no doubt will get a mega or something in the next games though)

Last edited:

Added black outlines, shaded the whiskers, and updated the backsprite with the new changes. princessofmusic, you confused me with your lefts and rights!

EDIT: Defined the front head spikes a bit

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
A bit over due but I finally finished up mega obama's back animation. Would have gotten it done sooner if the family wasnt so distracting lol but better late than never. Anyway, here he is.

mega-obama-back.gif

With that being done, all it needs now is a shiny recolor which us easy to do but before I do that, I want to hear your thoughts. Think it might look a bit messier than its front but maybe its just my eyes.

Layell That zygarde looks much better now size wise. You also gave it all of its butt flowers. But since you are making it stand up that tall I think it should curve a little like a real snake like arbok would.

Besides the fact that zygarde is much stubbier than arbok, they have a similar body structure. So think it would be a pretty good reference to use if you decide to change it again.

Also one question; why is #xysprites so dead
Not sure if rhetorical question, but it's half alive when I log on at night and pepper Layell with annoying questions until 4am.

But yeah, I have more steel to come. i'm going to burn in hell for that pun
Not nearly as bad as this:

Looks like this is one bank... we want to vault open.

This is the bank that has a lot of... interest,

I guess we better... cheque the bank first.

(check for u dumb americans)
Later, a reply by darkie: we can always bank on Layell to ruin an otherwise promising thread

So I did my homework.
MegaZam:

I hope it looks better now :3

Mega Blaziken:

Itried to make the lines somewhat smoother. The left leg has a almost completely straight outline but if I made it go out one pixel it would look weird. =/ Also changed the highlight on the beige part as you wanted. outside that just some small changes here and there, and the horn ofcourse ^^

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To make it easier for animation, is it possible if the spriters make an extra sprite with things such as mega blaziken's wrist flame not blocking its body? It wouldnt have to be done on every sprite. Just if whatever is blocked have a chance of having some detail that could be missed.

EDIT: Since spewpa has a new sprite, I'll go ahead and animate it along with scatterbug to complete the 3 beginner bugs.

EDIT 2: After taking another look at charizard x, think the problem is the end of its tail for the back sprite. Its inconsistent with the front sprite since it doesnt curve up. That might be why the flame looks off.

Last edited:
EDIT: Since spewpa has a new sprite, I'll go ahead and animate it along with scatterbug to complete the 3 beginner bugs.
Not sure if its been added to the spreadsheet, but Im currently working on redoing Scatterbug's front sprite. I'd possibly hold off on animating him for a bit longer, but Spewpa is definitely fair game.

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick comments:

I have (admittedly low priority) plans for Mega Garchomp. Its body and stance need to be less like regular Garchomp's.

On a similar note, I noticed Diggersby was also orange on the chart, when it really shouldn't be. The perspective still doesn't match up between the front and back sprites' left ear, it should be either less extreme (smaller) on the front, or more extreme (also smaller) on the back.

Zygarde is better, but I definitely agree with Typhlito's comments about it. The neck would look much better if it was curved more backwards. More importantly, the head needs to be substantially bigger too.

Sorry I can't fix this stuff myself right now. And in case I don't see you, good afternoon, good evening, and good night.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
Hah Spewpa was really easy to animate. Got it done in under an hour. I did make it move the same as its old spewpa animation though but meh, it doesnt really move much anyway. Anyway, here he is.

swepa-front.gif
swepa-back.gif

Looks like swirlix is next on my list to animate. That animated swirlix that was posted earlier gave me some ideas.

Spewpa looks adorable. But is it normal for front/back animations to be off sync from each other?

I decided that I've been putting this one on hold for long enough. The Sugimori art is out, and it shows us that the black key second from the left definitely has one large tooth, not two smaller teeth.

The set from Christmas Day hasn't been added to the chart, so I changed something last minute.

Stumpy

OK, time for today's update from me.
-Noivern:

Fixed the backruff to be less detailed. Conversely, it used to look like the right version. I can try to make a bit more of a middle-ground between the two if need be, no idea if you guys wanted it just straight neutral like this or not. So yeah, scratch this guy off the QC list.

-Scatterbug:

Slight edits to the backsprite's head, but main edits made on the frontsprite. I shrank the head to better match the backsprite, as well as moving down both the eyes and face. Scatterbug looks much more nervous now and it removes the weird fish-eye camera that wasn't there that everyone thought was. Also, additional note on Scatterbug's pose that I initially left out of my previous posts last month: Scatterbug's pose in this art is based off of the existing caterpillars of the Pokemon universe. As far as I'm aware, there is no existing caterpillar Pokemon that has all of its legs planted on the ground, and so I have it rearing up to match the trend. Initially, this is likely what caused the fish-eye effect, as the Pokedex camera was angled slightly underneath it in my reference so that I could get an idea of it rearing up. So yeah, now that that's explained, let's move on to the real news.

-Dragalgae: (-alge it is indeed, PoM. Still calling it -algae though, just because I know that's what they were going for lol)

So this thing's finally shaded. Colors were ripped from other XY sprites I've worked on, so I don't remember where the originals came from. The pink was from Quilladin's ear spikes, the horn color was taken from Doublade pre-PoM edits, the brown from Tyrunt, and the lilac from pre-PoM Doublade's sash, color-shifted slightly to make it purple. It's what I had on-hand and I didn't feel like finding new colors, so hey, it works. The only concern I have about it at time of posting is that the back whisker (The long branch things coming out of the back of his head, to be specific) might be making it somewhat cluttered around his back area. I'd like some input on this in particular as I have no idea if I should just remove it completely (such as in the Sugomori artwork) shift its position to be somewhat visible somewhere else, or just leave it as is, fairly visible but also kinda cluttery. (That sentence made sense, right?) Aside from that, any criticisms would be appreciated as usual. Backsprite on this guy or Mega Scizor should be next on my to-do list.

As a side note:
-Frogadier:
Nothing. I have no idea what you're talking about, to-do list. I did a quick scan of the Serebii thread and couldn't find anything other that he might be too tall, which he isn't. I'd scratch this off the list personally.

And finally:

-Gougeist:
I decided to take up QC on this guy in the middle of everything I'm currently doing. Current Gourgeist suffers from numerous issues in terms of proportions, detailwork, etc, so I'm going to take this on as a long-term project on the side. I'll post updates whenever I have a final product in terms of the Very Large sprite, which is the one I'm currently working on. Again, this is just a long-term side project. I'm just using this as a way for me to not get tired of working on the same thing, essentially a spriting break. So yeah, might have some stuff to show come tomorrow, might be three days from now. We'll see. +)

Also, princessofmusic , gotta give you some credit, I think those puns may have indeed beaten out mine. Not sure if that's something to be proud of though.

Last edited:
Right, 'twas the best I could do

And here's the ChariXards with less pronounced foreheads

Was this what you had in mind princessofmusic? It's odd, because I originally took the heads from normal Charizard, and already reduced the forehead alot.
Now I'm tempted to call it Flathead.
Sorry for popping in like this, but Mega Charizard X's wings are wrong on the back sprite.
The blue part (well, blue from the front) joins up at the back like a cape; there should be nine blue flaps in total, with the central one joining the wings and going over Charizard's back. The flap closest to the body on the front sprite should really be hidden behind its back.
See this screenshot for what I mean:

Also, I think the black wingtip on the left side of the back sprite should be a bit smaller.

Oh, and I can't unsee Chesnaught's O_O face (the side of its eye looks like a pupil, with the edge of the 'helmet' looking like the side of an eye). Not sure how much you can do about that though.

Mega Blaze take 3

K I fiddled around a bit with the hair ish thing. I hope it's not as 'blobby' anymore as it was.
Also I noticed that the right leg is missing the 'horn' thing so I edited it in, as well as doing some work on the tail.
If PoM accepts this I'll work on flameless ones for the animators :D.

Turtleye , I think you should take the color of the fire from the tail of charizard, and use those colors for the fire on mega blaziken's fists. For some reason, I'm not liking the fire

Turtleye , I think you should take the color of the fire from the tail of charizard, and use those colors for the fire on mega blaziken's fists. For some reason, I'm not liking the fire
I would have done that, if only I'd have the room to do that. Curruntly it already sits at 15 colors.
And yes, I tried Charizards color already, but it meant I would have to replace that for the current body color too. And that meant I wouldnhavemto change the palette, which I didnt like sincenI like the current palette. I tried a 'inbetween' color but that didnt turn out right. So yeah...

So, as you may recall, A few minutes ago, (lol 43 minutes to be precise) I wondered about needing a different pose MChomp. I had one made. Anyone mind if I just post it?

Its got a few odd pixels floating, which I can fix, and isn't 100% done, but just wanted to post it anyways to see the consensus.

And yes, I apoligize that I posted after the current one has an animation and everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)