Pokémon Delphox

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is why are we talking UU when we have no idea what UU will be like? Umbreon for example I can't see nearly as used if we get enough fairies in the tier (Which doesn't seem unlikely) and Staraptor ends up not getting stuck in BL again. Not to mention we have the Mega Evolutions that aren't getting that much usage dropping down there unless their stones get banned from the tier.

All that said, the speed does do one thing. Delphox doesn't have to deal with how cluttered the 80-100 speed tier's been this generation. I mean yeah, with its current movepool it won't be a top tier threat, especially not in OU, but it'll be fine in whatever tier it finally decided to float around in.

Grass Knot.
252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 190-226 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Nice try. Also Shadow Ball has the same power and is more useful, so I don't know why you'd ever use Grass Knot.

The only thing Delphox could do over Victini (IMO) is take down Landorus-I with HP-Ice (and possibly non-scarfed Garchomp). Magician adds Thief to every attacking move and thats cool. Playing with Switcheroo could mess the opponent's team big time. Delphox cant use Wish as well as other defensive pokes. Wish could be used as a parting gift for another team member tho.

252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Slowking: 190-226 (48.2 - 57.3%) -- 46.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Nice try. Also Shadow Ball has the same power and is more useful, so I don't know why you'd ever use Grass Knot.
Calm mind.

Would a grass knot from a max special attack Deplhox with life orb 2HKO a slowking at 100%?
No. 3HKO at best with a specs set, Life Orb obviously clocks in at lower damage and takes recoil. It's only a 2HKO at +1 but that turns into a 3HKO if Slowking is wearing AV. Slowking always 2HKOs with Scald.

Okay so we all agreed that Delphox is not going to be a full time major part of the OU meta at this point yes? Good. As far as Victini vs Delphox goes, Delphox is the better special sweeper in my personal opinion because of Calm Mind and 104 Base Speed, as well as being better for Choice Specs sets. That said, Victini is better off running physical from experience, as its physical movepool is pretty good and that burn immunity is nice.

Anyway yeah, we all kinda agree its not viable as a full time deal in OU. Not a bad pokemon, but just not good enough and generally frightened by a ton of things in the current Meta. If it had some more options like Moonblast and Aura Sphere though, MAYBE it might find itself a bit more usage. On the brighter end of things, its actually pretty good if you play Battle Spot 3vs3, though that's a whole different deal.

Really, someone please tell me about a time when those extra 4 in base speed that offensive delphox has helped saved them a battle. What are you doing with those points to speed? The only things that I can think of that Victini speed ties or is slower than that Delphox outspeed that might prove critical are Tentacruel, Celebi, and Jirachi, but the first pair almost never run max speed and the second pair are highly unlikely to stay in on you in the first place. Are you people having trouble with pidgeots? Is that it?

Maybe M-Medicham, but if the you're going to use a signiicantly weaker and frailer pokemon with poorer moves just because you're scared of a single pokemon, maybe you should look to something else instead on your team.

Zoroark still outruns you, Mienshao still outruns you, Mismagius still outruns you, M-Pinsir still outruns you, so many things outrun you still that there is no trade-off in using offensive Delphox over Victini because you shouldn't consider it. If it's speed was 109, and could thus use it's pychic STAB against the musketeers, then maybe I'd see something. But it doesn't. It's still pretty much in the same speed tier as Victini.

Really, someone please tell me about a time when those extra 4 in base speed that offensive delphox has helped saved them a battle. What are you doing with those points to speed? The only things that I can think of that Victini speed ties or is slower than that Delphox out speed that might prove critical are Tentacruel, Celebi, and Jirachi, but the first pair almost never run max speed and the second pair are highly unlikely to stay in on you in the first place. Are you people having trouble with pidgeots? Is that it?

Maybe M-Medicham, but if the you're going to use a signiicantly weaker and frailer pokemon with poorer moves just because you're scared of a single pokemon, maybe you should look to something else instead on your team.

Zoroark still outruns you, Mienshao still outruns you, Mismagius still outruns you, M-Pinsir still outruns you, so many things outrun you still that there is no trade-off in using offensive Delphox over Victini because you shouldn't consider it. If it's speed was 109, and could thus use it's pychic STAB against the musketeers, then maybe I'd see something. But it doesn't. It's still pretty much in the same speed tier as Victini.
My Timid Delphox is able to outspeed a jolly Garchomp while it used Outrage. My Delphox switched in, used Hypnosis, Calm Mind, then OKed Garchomp with psyshock. Thats got to count for something.

My Timid Delphox is able to outspeed a jolly Garchomp while it used Outrage. My Delphox switched in, used Hypnosis, Calm Mind, then OKed Garchomp with psyshock. Thats got to count for something.
That's what I would file under "down to the wire." The fact that you willingly switched in a Delphox on a rampaging Garchomp makes me think that you were probably out of other options, and trusting to a highly unreliable move and then setting up on it while it sleeps (which when put together makes for about a 40% success rate for what you did) doesn't really qualify as reliably beating a pokemon, at least not by my standards.

I've been experimenting with a Delphox set and from experience I've found it to be surprisingly effective.

Delphox @ Leftovers
Trait: Blaze
IVs: 0 Atk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe , -Atk)
-Substitute
-Fire Blast
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball / Hidden Power (Fighting) / Hidden Power (Ice)

This set is designed to act more like a scout, and Delphox surprisingly does well at this role. It won't be sweeping anytime soon, due to its lack of offensive options, but again, its designed to scout, not sweep. Foul Play is rare, but having an IV of 0 in Attack is helpful in case the opponent has it, and Delphox doesn't need or use its Attack stat anyway. Now onto the important stuff: A Timid Nature and max EVs assures the Delphox will outspeed Garchomp and have a fast Sub. Max special attack is a must-have in order to do as much damage as possible, especially since Delphox is holding Leftovers and won't be boosting. Fire Blast is the STAB move of choice and Psyshock allows Delphox to do massive damage to more bulky Pokémon. Shadow Ball provides decent coverage, but HP Fighting or Ice can be used instead. It all goes down to personal preference for the last slot.

Last edited:
Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Naughty
-Flame Charge
-Psychic
-Power-Up-Punch
-Hypnosis

Delphox @ Life Orb
Naughty
-Flame Charge
-Psychic
-Power-Up-Punch
-Hypnosis
A) Don't use physical Delphox, Victini exists.
B) Don't use Power-Up Punch on anything except M-Kang, it really sucks.
C) Flame Charge should never be your only Physical STAB option, it's pitiful.
D) You should always run a +Speed Nature on Delphox, it really wants to abuse that trolly base 104 speed.
E) Hypnosis generally sucks, just don't use it kids.
F) WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN

Delphox @ Life Orb
Naughty
-Flame Charge
-Psychic
-Power-Up-Punch
-Hypnosis
You are just ASKING to get slaughtered! Delphox is in no way a physical poke. Thats almost as bad as using physical Alakazam. It's a REALLY bad idea!

Last edited:
Really, someone please tell me about a time when those extra 4 in base speed that offensive delphox has helped saved them a battle. What are you doing with those points to speed? The only things that I can think of that Victini speed ties or is slower than that Delphox outspeed that might prove critical are Tentacruel, Celebi, and Jirachi, but the first pair almost never run max speed and the second pair are highly unlikely to stay in on you in the first place. Are you people having trouble with pidgeots? Is that it?

Emolga (103)
Garchomp, Furfou (102)
Pidgeot, elemental monkeys, Landorus-I, Thundurus-I (101)
Charizard+Megas, Fearow, Ninetales, Tentacruel, Dodrio, Voltorb, Mega-Kangaskhan, Zapdos, Mew, Typhlosion, Miltank, Entei, Celebi, Mega-Blaziken, Linoone, Mega-Gardevoir, Slaking, Mega-Medicham, Flygon, Salamence, Jirachi, Staraptor, Palkia, Regigigas, Manaphy, Shaymin-Land, Victini, Volcarona(100)

All of those are outsped by Delphox, but outspeed/speed tie Victini. I bolded the better pokemon.

Delphox
Swiper no swiping, Swiper no swiping, Swiper no......swiping...
Item:Fire/Psychic Gem(until they find a way to bring them in game) Sitrus Berry/Kasib Berry
Ability: Magician
Nature: Modest/Timid
Evs: Sp.Atk:252/Spe:252/HP:6
Moveset:
Calm Mind
Psychic/Psyshock
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Shadow Ball

Comments: This set has really worked well for me, it has been a great sweeper and would be better if the gems were released but are currently not, hopefully with an update in the Global Link. For now use one of the consumable berries. Calm mind is great having good Sp.Attack and Sp.Defense with great speed to hold it off. Fire Blast is for the power housers, but if you want a guaranteed hit you should have the Flamethrower. Pshychic is strong, but Psyshock can help with sp.defensive walls like Goodra and Sylveon. Shadow ball is just there to cover against weakness threats like Ageislash, but it cannot have much else to work with unless you wanted HP Fighting but HP is just too weak anymore, it should only be used if there is not much else. All in all this set has worked well for me, sweep at least a pokemon or two off my opponents team so I must be doing something right.

Last edited:
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Garchomp: 270-320 (75.6 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Your opponent likely wasn't runnign 0/0-, but are you sure this happened?

HP is just too weak anymore, it should only be used if there is not much else.
Understatment. My Raichu at +6 252 SpAtk EV's using HP ice on someone quad weak to it barely did anything. And the opposing poke didn't have any Def or SpDef boosts, and wasn't even any sort of wall. (I'm pretty sure it was Garchomp or something, though I'm not for sure. I just remember for sure that it was quad weak to ice.) I need to get rid of HP on my Raichu because it's so pitifully weak that I don't think I'd could ever possibly get a KO with it. and yes, I realize that this is pretty far off topic.

Understatment. My Raichu at +6 252 SpAtk EV's using HP ice on someone quad weak to it barely did anything. And the opposing poke didn't have any Def or SpDef boosts, and wasn't even any sort of wall. (I'm pretty sure it was Garchomp or something, though I'm not for sure. I just remember for sure that it was quad weak to ice.) I need to get rid of HP on my Raichu because it's so pitifully weak that I don't think I'd could ever possibly get a KO with it. and yes, I realize that this is pretty far off topic.

It is relevant, because HP used to be a common move on special attackers in general. If it can't save a boosted Raichu, how can it work on Delphox?

Ok, So maybe I was a bit harsh on HP, 60 base is still good, 65 would of been better but, Delphox is just better of with Shadow ball than HP fighting or ground is all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Ok, So maybe I was a bit harsh on HP, 60 base is still good, 65 would of been better but, Delphox is just better of with Shadow ball than HP fighting or ground is all I'm saying.
I'd disagree:
252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 218-260 (56.4 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 73-86 (18.9 - 22.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just for this reason honestly, Heatran walls Delphox lacking Hidden Power [Ground]

Does Heatran still occasionally carry a Balloon in OU now like it did in 5th gen? That could wall Delphox anyway.

I'd disagree:
252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 218-260 (56.4 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Delphox Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 73-86 (18.9 - 22.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just for this reason honestly, Heatran walls Delphox lacking Hidden Power [Ground]
I would not keep my Delphox in with Heatran, like adman2 said Heatrans with air ballon are common, and Heatrans most likely carry Earth Power so Delphox will most likely die with one or 2 earth powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)