Pokémon Goodra [REVAMP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially if you Baton Pass Ingrain to it, Goodra is very very susceptible to status. If you want to stall with Ingrain+Leftovers my suggestion is to use Rain Dance over Fire Blast and Hydration over Gooey, so it can't be harmed by status while stalling. Acid Armor makes it so that Goodra isn't killed by physical attackers anyways, and after 2-3 Acid Armors Gooey is completely pointless. Muddy Water can also be used over the Poison-type move if you use Rain Dance. You'll need support for stuff like Azumarill, but it's better than needing to get rid of all status inflictors first.
I thought exactly about that option too. While I know status moves will be a pain in the ass, my reason for not going for that would be because I think my goodra would be able to do more damage to more pokemon before it goes out. If a pokemon is wasting a turn to put up a toxic/will-o-wisp, that just gives me an extra turn to boost defense/attack and knock it out. The regen from leftovers (and ingrain if I get it) will be helpful in keeping me alive against these status moves.

The goal is to take out the big attackers/sweepers on the opponents team, especially those that would try and switch in on a Goodra

I thought exactly about that option too. While I know status moves will be a pain in the ass, my reason for not going for that would be because I think my goodra would be able to do more damage to more pokemon before it goes out. If a pokemon is wasting a turn to put up a toxic/will-o-wisp, that just gives me an extra turn to boost defense/attack and knock it out. The regen from leftovers (and ingrain if I get it) will be helpful in keeping me alive against these status moves.

The goal is to take out the big attackers/sweepers on the opponents team, especially those that would try and switch in on a Goodra
The only thing I would think about changing would be to switch gooey with sap sipper just in case someone gets desperate and tries to put up a spore

If a mon is using Toxic chances are it is a stallbreaker (Gliscor, Crobat) or a wall (Blissey, Chansey, Tentacruel, Jellicent, Gastrodon). If someone Toxics your Goodra and you can't break through it (and chances are you can't), you're in a lot of trouble, and as such I really recommend Hydration with Rain Dance. You don't miss out on that many wins anyways, since you can tank attacks like they're nothing especially when you don't have to worry about status.

You know we always have Clerics to handle status.

Oh, if Goodra is the last Pokemon standing, I recommend Hydration Dance (Hydration + Rain Dance) so you won't be stalled and walled to death while your sitting there launching your Fire Blasts and Muddy Waters.

I like goodra but like many other people said he's not "great". Although that special defense is awesome it has 3 good abilities and a solid movepool I probably wouldn't use it.

What Goodra really needed was Bulk Up/Curse/Calm Mind. If he had any of those moves, he could have been a much bigger threat thanks to the Hydration + Rest shenanigans. I think Gooey has some cool potential for more offensive teams that need a good pivot.
breed it for curse

What about a hydration goodra. Have drizzle set up with damp rock then swich into goodra. Thunder has 100% acurracy making it great on this set along with rest for instant recovery. Then have STAB dragon pulse and sludge wave for fairies I love this set a lot and it hasn't failed me yet

What about a hydration goodra. Have drizzle set up with damp rock then swich into goodra. Thunder has 100% acurracy making it great on this set along with rest for instant recovery. Then have STAB dragon pulse and sludge wave for fairies I love this set a lot and it hasn't failed me yet
Would you have rest on goodra for instant recovery in rain?

Yea I have my politoed with damp rock use rain dance. Swich over Do heavy damage then when weak I use rest for instant health when rain dance ends I just swich back into my bulky polities and start over

ive never used a goodra before. i bet it would be good in double because of muddy water and sap sipper. plus its movepool is huge. it would be a good assist/wall pokemon because of its pseudo legendary stats and it could be easly healed by a partners energy ball.

You know we always have Clerics to handle status.

Oh, if Goodra is the last Pokemon standing, I recommend Hydration Dance (Hydration + Rain Dance) so you won't be stalled and walled to death while your sitting there launching your Fire Blasts and Muddy Waters.
He was discussing Baton Passing Ingrain. Which is, by the way, not a really effective tactic with Goodra, as it is giant status bait.

ive never used a goodra before. i bet it would be good in double because of muddy water and sap sipper. plus its movepool is huge. it would be a good assist/wall pokemon because of its pseudo legendary stats and it could be easly healed by a partners energy ball.
Sap Sipper does not heal. It boosts Attack. Which is cool, but there aren't that many Grass-type moves going around in Doubles for you to abuse (no, it doesn't redirect Spore). Also it's using Muddy Water anyways.

If a mon is using Toxic chances are it is a stallbreaker (Gliscor, Crobat) or a wall (Blissey, Chansey, Tentacruel, Jellicent, Gastrodon). If someone Toxics your Goodra and you can't break through it (and chances are you can't), you're in a lot of trouble, and as such I really recommend Hydration with Rain Dance. You don't miss out on that many wins anyways, since you can tank attacks like they're nothing especially when you don't have to worry about status.
Hey I totally agree with u. But u can put raindance on your smeargle then replace acid armour with rest and go for hydration rest set. Smeargle sets up ingrain then rain dance next he baton passes over to goodra who will be able to take down steel and ice types. If u get a status condition hydration will get rid of it. Since u are getting rid of acid armour. I suggest switching ur defendce evs since goodras spD is so high

Hey I totally agree with u. But u can put raindance on your smeargle then replace acid armour with rest and go for hydration rest set. Smeargle sets up ingrain then rain dance next he baton passes over to goodra who will be able to take down steel and ice types. If u get a status condition hydration will get rid of it. Since u are getting rid of acid armour. I suggest switching ur defendce evs since goodras spD is so high
Smeargle's Rain only lasts for 5 turns, so it's better if Goodra can heal its own status with that set. Also SpD EVs are there since after 2 or so Acid Armors Defense doesn't matter.

[#slimetime]
Goodra #706

Type :

Base Stats [Showdown!] : 80 / 100 / 70 / 115 / 140 / 80
Ability : Hydration / Sap Sipper / (Hidden) Gooey

• Hydration heals any status conditions under the influence of the weather, Rain.
  • Sap Sipper raises the user's Attack by one stage when attacked with a Grass-Type Move. It also grants an immunity to Grass-Type moves.
  • Gooey lowers the Speed of the attacking Pokemon if it makes contact with the user.
Movepool : The level at which Goodra learns the following moves will be updated sometime in the future. (Source : http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/goodra.3489688/)
  • Outrage
  • Draco Meteor
  • Aqua Tail
  • Power Whip
  • Feint
  • Rock Smash
  • Strength
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Infestation
  • Thunderbolt
  • Toxic
  • Protect
  • Return
  • Ice Beam
  • Tackle
  • Bubble
  • Absorb
  • Bide
  • Rain Dance
  • Dragon Breath
  • Flail
  • Body Slam
  • Muddy Water
  • Fire Blast
  • Earthquake
  • Focus Blast
  • Sludge Bomb
  • Hidden Power
  • Rest
  • Dragon Tail
Potential Movesets :

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Nature: Sassy / Calm
Moveset:
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Dragon Tail / Power Whip
- Thunderbolt / Sludge Wave

The Sassy nature is used to avoid the 2HKO from Greninja's Ice Beam after SR and OHKO back with either Draco Meteor or Fire Blast, both of which OHKO after two rounds of LO. Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse are classic STAB moves, choose power or reliability depending on how you like to play. Same goes with Fire Blast and Flamethrower. Dragon Tail slowly wears down Tyranitar switch-ins (Dragon Tail + SR damage build up very fast, especially on Tyranitar sets that lack Lefties, which is most of them) and phazes special sweepers that Goodra walls, such as QD Volcarona. Power Whip is an alternative to deal more immediate damage to Tyranitar, doing 39.1 - 46.53% to 252 HP Tyranitar (30.47% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock) an otherwise perfect counter to Goodra which could harass Goodra with sandstorm damage + Pursuit. It also covers some other Water-types such as Starmie and Vaporeon, making it easier for Goodra to use Sludge Wave over Thunderbolt to deal with some Fairy-types. On the last slot, Thunderbolt is the first slash to cover Pokemon such as Azumarill, Togekiss, Tentacruel, and Mega Charizard Y (Goodra is one of the best switch-ins to this beast), but Sludge Wave is a perfectly viable option if you have trouble with Sylveon and Florges.

Earthquake is not worth it atm as Heatran is not available.

**not my set**
The stats you posted for Goodra are slightly incorrect. Goodra has base 90 HP, base 110 SpA, and base 150 (believe it or not) SpD. People who posted on this forum probably know this already, but i thought i would just bring it up. If you do not believe me, then check Goodra on Bulbapedia, and it will show.

:( Goodra doesn't learn recovery thru Milotic
If Goodra had some form of reliable recovery it would be awesome.
Switching in to sponge attack a lot (and since you can't hold lefties with Assault Vest) really takes a toll on Goodra. Plus he's susceptible to SR and Spikes so you really can't switch him around all willy-nilly.

if you are going stall goodra you could run rest. with its huge spd and acid armor/curse it would be really hard to ko in the 2 turns

But a sleeping Goodra is set-up bait. Unless...
Has anyone tried a Rest-talk Goodra? I feel that it might increase Goodra's overall "tankiness".

He was discussing Baton Passing Ingrain. Which is, by the way, not a really effective tactic with Goodra, as it is giant status bait.

Sap Sipper does not heal. It boosts Attack. Which is cool, but there aren't that many Grass-type moves going around in Doubles for you to abuse (no, it doesn't redirect Spore). Also it's using Muddy Water anyways.
Well, there IS Petal Blizzard. Which can be used in a similar fashion to Discharge/Lightning Rod.

oh i guess i confused it with water asorb or something

Smeargle's Rain only lasts for 5 turns, so it's better if Goodra can heal its own status with that set. Also SpD EVs are there since after 2 or so Acid Armors Defense doesn't matter.
not if u put damp rock on it. That's at least 6 turns in the rain for goodra to destroy and rest up

So are we saying something like:

Rip Van Winkle
Goodra @ Assault Vest / Chesto Berry (?)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

Has anyone tried this out? I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how well it does. Combined it with entry hazards and it may be like Dragonite 2.0

So are we saying something like:

Rip Van Winkle
Goodra @ Assault Vest / Chesto Berry (?)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

Has anyone tried this out? I'll give it a shot tomorrow and see how well it does. Combined it with entry hazards and it may be like Dragonite 2.0
Except that you can't run Rest/Sleep Talk with Assault Vest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)