First competitive team

Status
Not open for further replies.
After having this account for a while and recently getting into Pokemon Showdown, I realised I need some help. I plan on using this team on Showdown and IRL tournaments. The idea behind this was a balanced team. On to the team I guess.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- U-turn​

Greninja's main purpose on this team is revenge killing. I ran timid nature on it to ensure it can outspeed pokemon such as Alakazam. U-turn is helpful for Greninja to scout the other team. Its outstanding speed allows it to effectively set up spikes. I originally considered an Expert Belt but Life Orb proved to be the better choice because this guy's a glass cannon anyway. Might as well try and dish out as much damage as possible.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Claw
- Leech Seed​

Trevenant is my multipurpose pokemon. It serves as a special wall but more importantly as my spinblocker. It's ability allows it to be a status absorber and leftovers, leech seed and horn leech give it reliable recovery. That paired with Will-O-Wisp lets it burn physical attackers and stall effectively.

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Morning Sun​

Espeon is my lead pokemon, it also works as a counter to hazard leads such as Smeargle. The objective is to set up both Reflect and Light Screen as quick as possible. Max investment in speed lets it set up effectively. I ran morning sun because despite max hp effort values, Espeon is really frail. Light clay is the best item choice so the rest of my team can set up easily.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang​

Gliscor is my team's physical wall. I know from experience that Sub + Protect is annoying so I figured might as well use it myself. It was a decision between Stealth rock or Toxic. I went with stealth rock because Trevenant would be passing around burns anyway. It would also help my sweepers.The effort value spread is so it can outspeed certain pokemon but maintain it's bulk.

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Extremespeed
- Close Combat
- Morning Sun​

Instead of running everyone's new favorite bird Talonflame, I decided to run the less common but definitely more bulky Arcanine. I ran extremespeed so it has some form of priority so it can revenge kill. Close Combat and Wild Charge allows Arcanine to take care of most of the pokemon that resist it's STAB.
Choice Band + Adamant nature lets it deal as much damage as it can.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot​

My mega pokemon and late game sweeper. I decided to go with a special set because my team needs something to take care of special walls. Thanks to it's typing it can easily switch in if rocks are up because the damage would be miniscule. With adaptability and one nasty plot, it can sweep up whatevers left by the time I start using it.

So anyway there you have it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, this is a pretty good balanced team, and you did a pretty good job for what I'm assuming is your first team. Here's some things that I would personally recommend.

Right off the bat though, it's important that each Pokemon have at least 3 lines of information to help raters give the best rate possible. Otherwise, a lot must be assumed about how you play!

Notably, I find the lack of hazards on such a balanced team somewhat shocking. You even subconsciously put in a spinblocker in the form of Trevenant, and having hazards would really help you out when you try to sweep with Lucario lategame, as finding an opportunity to Nasty Plot can be difficult. To start off, try experimenting with Spikes on Greninja over Dark Pulse. A pokemon with such excellent coverage and STAB on everything forces a lot of switches; prime opportunities to set up Spikes. Every layer counts! Also, since PokeBank is technically available on showdown, Stealth Rock on Gliscor over Ice Fang is technically legal now. I'd give that a shot as well!

If you're running Leech Seed and Horn Leech on Trevenant, run Leftovers and Natural Cure. You're right, Sitrus Berry and Harvest is gimmicky, and if you are going to run gimmicks, you pretty much have to go all the way with it. Don't try to run half in half. Leftovers will provide overall better recovery for you in most cases and Natural Cure gives your team a very important asset, and that's status absorption.

That's it from me! Good luck.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.
Your descriptions are too short to fit the RMT rules requirements.
I encourage you to PM me an updated version of this team with beefed up descriptions, and since you're new, to join the Mentor Program. I'll be unlocking this thread after that.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)