The Myrmidons ( peaks dont matter but it is 2300 and rising)

I am not new to pokemon this gen but I have only actually made the leap this gen so I am a little unfamiliar wiht the workings of pokes from Pokebank. Anyway that being said here is the team at a glance

I was very fascinated with the celitran core and decided that gastrodon would fit in perfectly to round out the fwg core. Also gastrodon helps with the rise of sand teams. They are such a solid defensive core it is awesome. My offensive core started around mega pinsir and then tyranitar to help with talonflame and the like, keldeo came in off a suggestion on PS and I wanted a poke to be choiced so he made the cut.

In depth

OFFENSIVE CORE

(AJAX)Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Rash Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
Like I said tyranitar is here to ward off talonflame and other threats to my team like dragons or steels types, I find that he also works well with gastrodon because he doesnt mind sand and he is just a very solid bulky attacker and is only made better by assault vest. I have ice beam for dragons and predicted gliscors or lando/tornadus. Fire Blast is obviously for steel types, a side note I have enough bulk to take a max attack adamant superpower from scizor and then OHKO with FB. Dark Pulse is surprising because most expect crunch and may switch into a physical wall and still get hit hard by DP, and stone edge is almost exclusively for talonflame but also other birds like zapdos.

The ev spread could be different but I am finding it works just fine.

(Patroclus)Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Icy Wind

This guy is brand new to me and he is a fantastic poke to have choiced I just dont know if it should be scarfed or specs, I lost my only game because it was not scarfed. I just recently changed to scarf and am playing around with the water move whether it be surf or hydro pump. The set seems standard enough to me, he just comes in and revenge kills or hits hard with the awesome special fighting move secret sword. Icy wind is a surprisingly hard hitting move on gliscor and the genies, it OHKOs them, so that is a welcome addition. The problem is he and pinsir are both weak to talonflame, but I have other things for that.

(ACHILLES)Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie/Aerilate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Close Combat
To be honest in a good game I dont even need to use this guy, but if I see a chance to set up a SD something is going down, and usually a few things. He doesnt have the best coverage I sometimes wish I had x-scissor but I just cant part with any of the moves. I have jolly over adamant because I just dont want him to have to take a hit. The only other issue with him is his speed pre mega is sub par and that is a factor I have to play around.

DEFENSIVE CORE

(Hector)Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
Okay on to my favorite part my defensive core. While I know celebi and heatran is not anything revolutionary, I havent seen gastrodon thrown into that party before and he covers the others very nicely as he can handle weakness that the other two have. I have toxic because if I can toxic something i can usually stall it out just by making smart switches.

The main reason I included him though is to help counter sand teams as he can take most hits and hopefully get a burn off or at least deal solid damage. recover is for longevity and is necessary because I make him take ALOT of hits. Earthpower is nice for steel types like excadrill and heatran.

(Paris)Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 SDef / 252 HP / 36 Spd
Gentle Nature
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- U-turn

With these last two I dont know what to say about them that you probably dont already know, but this celebi is my Lucario counter, it can counter just about every set except for physical ones that carry crunch but I havent run into those. I mean this thing can live two +2 dark pulses all while paralyzing and allowing keldeo to come in and OHKO. Or just stall out with giga drain. This also has natural cure which is a godsend because that also means it COMPLETELY walls rotom-w, it can take a burn/eat up a hydro pump or volt-switch easily, and just giga drain til it dies. Seriously if all this thing does is wall rotom or lucario it did its job.

(Priam)Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SDef
Modest Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect/ Ancient Power
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Right off the bat I think Heatran might need Air balloon but it is hard to take off leftovers because as long as I can keep switching out on EQ's I find the health recovery to be a life save because unlike my other two he doesnt get recover. I usually dont lead with him but I just try and find the time to set up stealth rocks and start roaring until I kill talonflame, its funny I have like 3 counters to talonflame, but they are mandatory because that bird is scary.

So theres the Myrmidons, they are fierce as they are loyal but they are ready to adapt to better take out those pesky trojans. But now onto the threat list and replays.

THREAT LIST

Mega-Garchomp- this thing came in and destroyed me mercilessly, I had absolutely no answer to it, maybe if keldeo was scarfed and got off an icy wind mega pinsir could KO but Idont know that thing is scary.

Genesect and Rotom cores ( or other volt turn cores) Celebi and heatran just cant quite handle these in a two on two I mean individually heatran destroys genesect and celebi eats rotom alive but I just cant touch them in that duo. I just have to hope for a genesect ban.

Charizard-y - has proven difficult especially if TTar is weak or misses stone edge, because then charizard can just solar beam and flame his way through my team, I mean heatran stops him but cant touch him. especially with roost.

Those are all I have encountered so far but I am sure I will find more.

REPLAYS
Here is a good battle that shows the fantastic synergy between my team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74334967
I didnt even need to use pinsir, but like I said this game is perfect to show how my team works.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74353535

Here is one against a very good opponent
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74349584
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74906444
This last one was a standard team but my opponent wasnt too great
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74917050

I have made a few teams but I am really happy and proud of this one not because it is super original or unique but I did make it basically by myself(some help from PS) and actually have fun when battling with it.

I hope you enjoyed the RMT any feedback is appreciated

Last edited:

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
In your first replay the opponent had the wrong evs on talonflame so it died after two stealth rock switch ins. He should have sacced Gogoat (why is he using this) then set up Talonflame on Heatran. If he had done this it would show the Talonflame weakness a lot more clearly. You need to put Toxic or Ancientpower over protect on Heatran if you are relying on it to beat Talonflame like you did in this battle (you sacced tyranitar).

Really just saying this because if your opponent had been any good he should have won with that endgame scenario.

Edit - I would stick with leftovers, you have ground type fairly covered with Celebi's resist, Gastrodon being physically bulky and Pinsir's immunity (if mega evolved). Air Balloon is more suited to offensive teams since you generally get the one use out of it. You built this team with a defensive core so the chances are you want Heatran to stick around longer rather than trying to be a one time Excadrill check or something. The main advantage on more offensive teams would be versus Garchomp/Dragonite but you don't have HP Ice so you can only hope for a burn / roar them anyway.

Last edited:
In your first replay the opponent had the wrong evs on talonflame so it died after two stealth rock switch ins. He should have sacced Gogoat (why is he using this) then set up Talonflame on Heatran. If he had done this it would show the Talonflame weakness a lot more clearly. You need to put Toxic or Ancientpower over protect on Heatran if you are relying on it to beat Talonflame like you did in this battle (you sacced tyranitar).

Really just saying this because if your opponent had been any good he should have won with that endgame scenario.
hmm I watched it again and I didnt see what you meant at first but if that talon flame had bulk up or SD which it probably did you are right that would have went different if he played that way. My only problem getting rid of protect on heatran is it helps me a lot for scouting and the lefties recovery was key especially in that battle.

But thanks for pointing that out, next time I will just play smarter around tflame but if that doesnt work than maybe I will switch to ancientpower. Do you think I should put air balloon on if I get rid of protect?

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Hey, got the request, so I'll try to rate this team!

So, this team tries to make a sweep with mega pinsir happen, and I can tell you right now, it isn't hard at all. I use him too, and mega pinsir is just such a beast, his ability and 155 attack stat are nothing to mess with. Your tyranitar and keldeo attempt to open up holes in the team, while heatran, celebi, and gastrodon all try to stop the opponent from sweeping. Cool.

However, this team still is sorely lacking in speed. You have no solid revenge killer; and that is a huge problem for this team. Any pokemon like a shift gear genesect or any dragon dancer can come in once celebi and gastrodon has been slightly weakened and can usually just sweep your entire team outright. Which is why I certainly support the switch to scarf keldeo. I don't think of keldeo as a good hit-and-run pokemon, especially when rain has been nerfed, so I think a revenge killing keldeo would work much better with this team.

However, there are two problems with this team still once we make keldeo scarfed: there's a significant loss in power and there is still no hazard removal for mega pinsir, which is not good. Thus, since I don't really see a rash t-tar as being too scary, I would recommend changing tyranitar to a defog latios.
He provides some offensive pressure on the team that is lost when specs-->scarf and with a life orb, he can certainly smack rotom-w into the range where pinsir can clean up. The sand doesn't seem to be doing much for this team and AV rash tyranitar is not really hitting that hard, despite its coverage.

Lastly, a cool little option I've found for mega pinsir is Feint>Quick Attack. Feint is a 30 base power move with +2 priority that ignores protect, detect, spiky shield, kings shield, etc. Its a little weaker, but after an SD and rocks, you can cleanly OHKO talonflame without fear of it being invested in a lot of speed. You can also clean up weakened banded genesect and weakened dnite without having to fear of the extremespeed, which in my opinion, is a huge advantage, despite being a little weaker than QA. I don't know any notable kills you miss out on, so I think it's a cool little option you can try out.

I hope I was able to help, good luck with the team!

Latios (M) @ Life Orb (could go ebelt if you wanna fake a choice item)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt (For skarmory. I don't think you need surf for heatran because you have eq on mega pinsir...guess you could run hp fire, but its preference mostly)
- Defog

Wow thanks for the rate, I think latios is going to fit perfectly because I have noticed that rocks are not mega pinsirs friend, I also am excited to try out feint, but I thought it only worked through a protect or something but I must be wrong. I am leaning towards hp fire on latios though mainly for genesect which has been driving me crazy.

Then again my keldeo has hp fire so I guess Ill stik with tbolt

Change Keldeos HP to either ghost(Jelly) or bug(Celebi) Standard Genesect is OHKO by specs surf after rocks making HP fire on Keldeo pointless. I also don't see why you're using Rash on Tar then using AV with it. If you mainly use it for TalonFlame I would just give him leftovers.

Overall pretty annoying team to face. I think I was the one beat you(don't really to many Specs Keldeo anymore).

Change Keldeos HP to either ghost(Jelly) or bug(Celebi) Standard Genesect is OHKO by specs surf after rocks making HP fire on Keldeo pointless. I also don't see why you're using Rash on Tar then using AV with it. If you mainly use it for TalonFlame I would just give him leftovers.

Overall pretty annoying team to face. I think I was the one beat you(don't really to many Specs Keldeo anymore).
hmm celebi gets handled by heatran but I do have issues with ghosts so I think I will try that out thanks.

as for ttar he needs no physical bulk to handle tflame but as of right now I am using the latios set previously suggested I will switch the op if I keep having success

Hello.

Sick team you have here. Now I don't want to screw the synergy of this team so I won't change the pokemon but I have a few nitpicks.

One flaw I see is that your team is not very speedy so to help with that, you can try Scarf Keldeo which adds a lot of speed which I think it can benefit your team quite nicely.

Now I don't think your team has much problems with Ferrothorn nor with Skarmory and Scizor so I suggest you try out HP electric over HP Fire on Keldeo as I consider Standard Gyarados and Jellicent more threatening than Scizor and Ferrothorn as I also see problems with Standard Gyarados with Moxie.And I also recommend you try out Surf over Scald while the burn is nice to get, it misses out on KO's and with Surf you guarantee KOs you originally would not get with Scald but with Surf you can.

If you find Charizard Y to be an issue you can also try out AncientPower over Protect as personally I'm not really a big fan of protect, and AncientPower helps vs Talonflame extremely well, and with that you can actually touch Charizard Y and Talonflame.

Hope you liked this rate and I felt really great rating a team from a rater!

Good Luck and have fun!

Hello.

Sick team you have here. Now I don't want to screw the synergy of this team so I won't change the pokemon but I have a few nitpicks.

One flaw I see is that your team is not very speedy so to help with that, you can try Scarf Keldeo which adds a lot of speed which I think it can benefit your team quite nicely.

Now I don't think your team has much problems with Ferrothorn nor with Skarmory and Scizor so I suggest you try out HP electric over HP Fire on Keldeo as I consider Standard Gyarados and Jellicent more threatening than Scizor and Ferrothorn as I also see problems with Standard Gyarados with Moxie.And I also recommend you try out Surf over Scald while the burn is nice to get, it misses out on KO's and with Surf you guarantee KOs you originally would not get with Scald but with Surf you can.

If you find Charizard Y to be an issue you can also try out AncientPower over Protect as personally I'm not really a big fan of protect, and AncientPower helps vs Talonflame extremely well, and with that you can actually touch Charizard Y and Talonflame.

Hope you liked this rate and I felt really great rating a team from a rater!

Good Luck and have fun!

Thanks for the rate... I have been really changing keldeo around alot and now that I got rid of ttar( temporarily) im wondering if I should keep him at all. That being said with specs I can hit the same ko's with scald but I like being faster than things lol... so i will take your suggestions to keldeo and if they dont work out I think ill just switch it out all together. I really am glad you helped with keldeo because I had no idea how to use this thing.

As fir Heatran I think ancient power is better because exclusive fire coverage isnt very good and id like to hit the aforementioned pokes.

Thanks again for the rate it was really helpful

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Hello. It's a really nice team you have here, but there are a couple of things I would change. First of all Keldeo needs a scarf to add some speed to your team and it provides a check to Mega Garchomp which decimates your team otherwise. I would keep HP Fire because it is a clean OHKO on Genesect who think they can tank a hit and Thunderbolt.

As for the Heatran, I'm not sure Ancientpower is really a great option. Heatran completely walls Talonflame and Charizard Y and in my experience those two will never stay in. To deal with it, I was thinking of adding Pursuit over Dark Pulse on Tyranitar. You can switch into Talonflame and hit it for major damage when it tries to switch out.

For Keldeo, I would suggest Hydro Pump over scald. I know the accuracy is iffy, but it nets key KOs and overall puts nice dents in the other team that Mega Pinsir can clean up on.

Hope this helped!

BASED

Banned deucer.
One big problem I see with this team is that it has a big problem handling Mega-Pinsir. Firstly I will show you the calcs.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 174-205 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Heatran: 384-456 (99.4 - 118.1%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 230-272 (56.9 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I do not see the need to do calcs for the rest of your team as to the fact that Mega-Pinsir would take them all out with a Return or do half with a quick attack. To get rid of this weakness there is actually a lot of pokes you could use things like bulky Gyarados, Landorus-T, Zapdos, etc. But what I would recommend and what I think works best on your team is none other than the most popular Pokemon in X/Y OU Rotom-Wash.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
I suggest Rotom-Wash to replace Gastrodon. Though Gastrodon can live two Returns (without hazards up) Rotom-Wash takes Mega-Pinsir on much better. With this Rotom-W you can hit Mega-Pinsir with a Volt Switch for super effective damage or just Will-O-Wisp it and leave the Pinsir rendered useless. This Rotom-Wash also counters Talonflame which in situations can destroy your team. Also Rotom-Wash still works well with the rest of your defensive core as well as keep the keeps your fwg (fire/water/grass) core. That is all I have to say I hope you found this helpful and goodbye :]

Alright thanks guys for these suggestions, I will be updating the original post with the changes. The only change I think I am not going with is the switch to latios from ttar, while im open to get rid of ttar I would only like to do so if I also replaced keldeo but I like their synergy and have gotten a lot of good tips for keldeo. SO ttar stays and Im putting on pursuit over DP. Anyway like I said Ill update the post.

The only thing I havent tested yet is possibly changing gastrodon, I dont use rotom-w because he is on every other one of my teams but I was thinking a defensive gyarados because I dont really have an electric weakness and it is covered nicely by celetran. So if there are any suggestions for a gyarados setId love to hear them, I was thinking sleep talk.

Have you had to handle a Talonflame or Mega Lucario? These two could really wreck your team.
yeah physical lucarios are really difficult for me to handle, but most are special luckily and I can handle those by paralyzing with celebi and then easily OHKOing with heatran or keldeo. But if its physical crunch OHKOs celebi and I start getting destroyed lol.

As for talonflame I usually handle him by using SR with heatran when he comes out and then start roaring til its dead, but U never had problems with talonflame because gastrodon can also handle him if he is at a good amount of health...also ttar easily kills it.

Here are some relevant calcs

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gastrodon: 195-231 (45.7 - 54.2%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 218-260 (73.1 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Mega Lucario Crunch vs. 220 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 190-224 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 33.2%chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Mega Lucario Crunch vs. 220 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 378-446 (95.4 - 112.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Mega Lucario Dark Pulse vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Celebi: 134-158 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- 29.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Mega Lucario Dark Pulse vs. 220 HP / 252+ SpD Celebi: 266-314 (67.1 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
What do you do about status, or don't you have much of a problem with it between Heatran (for WoW) and Celebi?

What do you do about status, or don't you have much of a problem with it between Heatran (for WoW) and Celebi?
I handle status usually by careful switches, WoW are so obvious I never really get burned because if they scald I go to gastrodon for the spatk boost and if they WoW I just switch to HEatran...but if its rotom-w I just switch to celebi and take the burn then when rotom switches my celebi gets natural cured so thats fine.

The status that really gets me is toxic on gastrodon, sometimes my gastro getting toxicd is game over for me because I need him to stall some things out. BUt again heatran also eats up toxic because of his awesome typing. So if I play right I usually dont get messed up by status too bad.

BUt yeah if you think about it my team doesnt mind most status anyway I mean ttar is basically a special attacker and doesnt mind the burn, keldeo is also special and a revenge killer so is fine with toxic or burn, pinsir hates it but he only comes in to sweep, and my defensive core can dance around status users pretty easily

Seems like you've got it covered pretty well then, good job. I was just curious from the perspective of my own team building efforts!

In terms of Mega Garchomp, you could always swap your Gastrodon for a defense focused Quagsire (EQ instead of Earth Power, but all other moves can stay the same). It can take most things +252 Atk Mega Garchomp would throw at it baring Outrage (which I doubt most would run anyway with Fairies and when they could have better coverage) and then stall it out with Toxic or a Scald burn; this is a revenge kill option rather than a counter, but it's better than nothing. It would also wall Genesect pretty easily (with Unaware it ignores the Download boost) and it's good at walling any boosting physical sweeper in general - for example (not that you have any trouble with Mega Lucario as you point out with Celebi, but it does make a good gold standard):

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 96.7% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It can't take special hits like Gastrodon can or hit for good damage, but it is still useful at stall and it seems like you've got the special side of things more or less covered anyway between AV TTar and Celebi.

Seems like you've got it covered pretty well then, good job. I was just curious from the perspective of my own team building efforts!

In terms of Mega Garchomp, you could always swap your Gastrodon for a defense focused Quagsire (EQ instead of Earth Power, but all other moves can stay the same). It can take most things +252 Atk Mega Garchomp would throw at it baring Outrage (which I doubt most would run anyway with Fairies and when they could have better coverage) and then stall it out with Toxic or a Scald burn; this is a revenge kill option rather than a counter, but it's better than nothing. It would also wall Genesect pretty easily (with Unaware it ignores the Download boost) and it's good at walling any boosting physical sweeper in general - for example (not that you have any trouble with Mega Lucario as you point out with Celebi, but it does make a good gold standard):

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 106-126 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 96.7% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It can't take special hits like Gastrodon can or hit for good damage, but it is still useful at stall and it seems like you've got the special side of things more or less covered anyway between AV TTar and Celebi.
Really nice suggestion, that sounds perfect because I do have the pecial defense covered and Gastrodon is great but it seems like quagsire just outclasses it which is neat. Gyarados also wasnt working out for me... so im excited to try this.

Thanks everybody for rating here is my most recent replay that I lost but I think it is a good game(it came down to a speed tie) so it should be a good point to look at to point out any more tweakes this team needs.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74867838
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74906444

Last edited:

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
So I have a change I was thinking about changes for Mega Pinsir. I was thinking Earthquake over Close Combat so you can don't lose defense and can tank one or two hits. Also Mold Breaker over Moxie before mega evolving. This helps nail the ever annoying Rotom-W.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)