College Football 2013-2014 Thread

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
to mre's point, it's kind of a shame that the sec will once again go to the national championship. if good sec teams lose to another sec team, that's cool. if good teams from other conferences lose, well fuck off.

still happy about msu beating osu, big ten title and assured rose bowl.. and hey, the storyline would have been "big ten choking again" if the buckeyes played for the national championship because they were bound to lose.

if you look past conferences and just at records, the best one-loss team is probably two-time defending national champion Alabama... and Auburn is the team that beat Bama. I don't think anyone can justify anyone else in the country over a two time national champion or the team that beat them.

in general that's true (SEC teams are highly ranked, and teams that lose to highly ranked teams don't drop as much in the rankings if they lose, which perpetuates the cycle) but I think it's pretty fair in this case. the only one loss teams that can possibly have any gripe with this year are MSU (12-1 and beat OSU) and Baylor (11-1) and maybe Alabama (11-1 and were basically even with Auburn). going by strength of schedule and who beat who, Auburn is clearly the #1 out of those four. I think this season ended with as little controversy as the system allows.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
While I'd feel better about the SEC not being in the NC at all, because then they can't possibly win it, at least if/when FSU stomps Auburn now I won't have to hear any excuses about the SEC streak being "preserved" because they didn't actually lose (due to not going). \o/

Of course I am also an OSU fan and I would prefer the "lol big ten/OSU choking again" to "lol OSU is fraud shit schedule lost to the only good team they played." Even though FSU has a worse schedule (regardless of the fact they played it better) and Alabama's isn't much better even with SEC inflation. And everybody should be saddened that the BCS doesn't go out in much controversy. GOTTA LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE THOUGH

two-time defending national champion Alabama
Only because they got a rematch they didn't deserve. See: Michigan 2006. See: SEC bias.

A big congrats to Michigan State from me! There's only one team I'd rather have in the Rose Bowl (I'm a U-M fan, tough year eh), but I can't imagine a better way for you guys to grab it.

I guess I'm just glad that this line-up of BCS bowls will be nowhere near as retarded as the line-ups from the last two years. Bowling Green : BCS "Savior"

>Johnny Manziel intercepts two passes to give A&M the comeback victory

SAY IT WITH ME NOW: SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC SEC

*sigh*

I wish we were in the Orange Bowl now. Sugar seems to be a Graveyard for SEC teams nowadays.

Didn't think we'd repeat the Utah debacle. Almost similar scenarios (sacks and TOs all over the place).

Here's hoping McCarron's draft stock doesn't hit rock bottom and he actually gets some starting time. Wishing him well for the NFL (Moseley and the rest of the seniors / early departures as well).

Derrick Henry will be amazing for the next two years, and we still will have a good WR core. MAYBE the OL will be better.

I imagine Saban/Smart will spend most of the offseason making tweaks to combat uptempo offenses (and hell, Saban/Nussmeier might make the Alabama offense uptempo).

DePriest, Sunseri, Collins, Allen, and Robinson will be studs on defense next year.

Maybe this new recruiting class will fix our maligned secondary.

Last edited:
As an tOSU fan, I'm going to say we're probably screwed... We have a better offense than Clemson, no doubt, but what the hell are we going to do now down Roby and Noah Spence gone, we're in deep trouble. We'll never get a defensive stop if we can't just sack Boyd every play. Well... We do have the line to do it, but when your corners play contain defense between the 20s and only 'contain' passes from not breaking 30+ yards a try (and sometimes not even that), we're going to need some choke by Clemson to win this.

Send them some of that UM magic... We'll be fine if they choke like those poor children from the corn and blue.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
happybrain.jpg

alolbama

Edit since nobody else has posted in front of me yet: Case in point of SEC bias being incredibly real in the world of college football, just in case anyone doubted it (I hope not). Wisconsin was favored over South Carolina despite being ranked 10 below (nevermind they lost) and Oklahoma State is favored over Missouri despite being five under. Vegas cares not for your media bias, BSPN.

Last edited:
what's your point? both of the underdogs won!

...in fact, all four of the underdogs in the BCS games (MSU, Oklahoma, Clemson, and UCF) won their games. conclusion: we don't know shit about college football (you know, the usual)

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
OSU got fucked by that bullshit DPI call that was a ten-point swing. and they cost me $$$ FUCK

OSU sucks and loses to lolclemson because miller gets injured and he/meyer is too stubborn to sit for the best backup in the nation FUCK

GOD DAMMIT OSU sucks

I would call that last B. Miller INT a Ref score.

Seriously, never have I heard anyone try to cover his ref's own ass more.

But yeah, Guiton needed to come out after Miller got leveled on that TD pass to Carlos.

Well, OSU is having a wonderful signing day. Fix up that patchwork defense.

But damn, we knew this from Northwestern, but Urban is like Jim Tressel when the game is in a tough spot... He is so rigid. After 2 3-and-outs, Kenny would be my man for that high powered OSU offense. You couldn't afford to NOT score.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)