Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Celebi form Bank
Modest
24 5 31 31 31 29

Any suggestion set?
Without transferring from a Gen 5 game, Celebi's offensive movepool is rather shallow. No Earth Power, and your IVs give Celebi a hidden power Dragon, which is no good either. With that nature and IV spread, I'd probably go with the Gen 5 Offensive Celebi. Modest, 54HP/252 S.Atk/204 Speed. The speed EVs (with your 29 IV) puts you at 285 speed, which outspeeds positive base 80s (Mamoswine, Dragonite, etc.). For moves, I'd use Leaf Storm/Psychic/Thunder Wave or U-Turn/Recover. I used this set extensively in gen 5 (albeit with Earth Power over Psychic) and it performed fairly well for me. For item, I used Life Orb so Leaf Storm would hit like a nuke, but Leftovers is acceptable for passive recovery.

Night shade, Knock Off, or Foul Play on Bold Prankster Sableye? I'm leaning toward foul play but it's at level 13 right now and I'd have to level it until 50...Or I guess I could go knock off for a middle ground type thing...but how useful is knock off especially with all the mega stones running around?

Also do most people play at the flat level 50 setting? I haven't done any link battles yet (still trying to get my competitive team set up) and I want to know if I have to level my pokemon all the way to 100 or if I can just leave them wherever they are when I'm done training them/giving them moves/evolving them etc.

Night shade, Knock Off, or Foul Play on Bold Prankster Sableye? I'm leaning toward foul play but it's at level 13 right now and I'd have to level it until 50...Or I guess I could go knock off for a middle ground type thing...but how useful is knock off especially with all the mega stones running around?

Also do most people play at the flat level 50 setting? I haven't done any link battles yet (still trying to get my competitive team set up) and I want to know if I have to level my pokemon all the way to 100 or if I can just leave them wherever they are when I'm done training them/giving them moves/evolving them etc.
Flat level 50 is common for cartridge battles, so level doesn't really matter beyond evolution and learning moves.

It's really between Knock Off and Foul Play, and personally I'd lean towards Knock Off. Foul Play, of course, uses the opponent's attack rating; this does you very little good when Prankster Will-o-Wisp is one of Sableye's biggest and shiniest toys. On the other side of the coin, you will pretty much never see more than one Mega Stone per team, and Knock Off still causes some serious problems for quite a few other threats. Stripping something of Lefties recovery is nice; stripping a Choice Band or Life Orb can seriously cripple something as an offensive threat.

Flat level 50 is common for cartridge battles, so level doesn't really matter beyond evolution and learning moves.

It's really between Knock Off and Foul Play, and personally I'd lean towards Knock Off. Foul Play, of course, uses the opponent's attack rating; this does you very little good when Prankster Will-o-Wisp is one of Sableye's biggest and shiniest toys. On the other side of the coin, you will pretty much never see more than one Mega Stone per team, and Knock Off still causes some serious problems for quite a few other threats. Stripping something of Lefties recovery is nice; stripping a Choice Band or Life Orb can seriously cripple something as an offensive threat.
Excellent, that makes perfect sense. Knock off it is. Thanks!

I am not sure if this is where to post it but does any one have a list of OU pokemon that can only be obtained through the bank?

To the people who transfered raichu and pikachu from the bank

Does Raichu with new breeding mechanics and event relearner can have the Volt-tackle and E-speed combo?

Something like this

Raichu@Life Orb
-Volt Tackle
-E-Speed
-Brick Break
-Substitute /Knock Off

Question: Which Pokemon from Gens 1 through 5 had their Hidden Abilities released in XY and not in prior games? I believe the Litwick line is one.

Does Raichu with new breeding mechanics and event relearner can have the Volt-tackle and E-speed combo?
Event moves cannot be inherited :s

I am not sure if this is where to post it but does any one have a list of OU pokemon that can only be obtained through the bank?
Look up what's available through the 3 Kalos dexes and the Friend Safari. If it's not there (including evolutions and pre-evolutions), then it's only obtainable through the bank unless I'm missing a few exceptions. Also keep in mind transfer-only moves like from the move tutors which can affect how well a Pokemon can perform in OU.

Last edited:
Can someone please give me a short but enough explanation on "bulk"? How are HP and the 2 defensive stats related?
1 HP is pretty much the equivalent of 1 def and 1 spd
No, no, no. That is a very, very common fallacy, and is completely false.

Basically, the ratio of the attacker's offensive stat and the defender's defensive stat is calculated, some multipliers such as Base Attack Power, crit, and random number are applied, and that damage is taken off the HP stat. This means, that for a mon with high defenses and low HP (Shuckle, for example), it is better to max the HP first (or in the case of Shuckle, 248 HP EVs for switching into Stealth Rock), and then take care of defenses. HP increases bulk on both ends. However, as the stats approach the HP=Def state, investing in one particular defense will boost that defense more than HP boosts it, and finding that balance between HP and defensive EVs is very helpful for maximizing bulk on one end. As stats approach Blissey level, it is better to invest in both defenses before HP, unless you are using Counter or Mirror Coat. This is why many people use 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD Bold Chansey/Blissey, and on any moveset other than Counter, it is probably the wisest investment.

TL;DR: Unless your name is Chansey or Blissey, always invest in HP before defenses.

I want to make a Baton Pass team, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any tips, or is there a guide of some kind I can refer to?

I want to make a Baton Pass team, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any tips, or is there a guide of some kind I can refer to?
Full Baton Pass teams involve Baton Passing around boosts to each other. This can be set up in many ways, but you will NEED:

-Ninjask (initial speed boosts are very important)
-Smeargle (Ingrain to prevent phasing)
-Espeon (Magic Bounce to prevent Taunt and phasing, Calm Mind, STORED POWER)
-Mr. Mime (Soundproof to prevent Perish Song, Calm Mind)

The next couple slots are suited to fill in the gaps.

-Mew (Baton Passes anything you want, can Taunt opponents, can kill Sableye or genies in an emergency, 101 HP Substitutes)
-Mega Scizor (Baton Passes Iron Defense)
-Vaporeon (Baton Passes Aqua Ring and Acid Armor, provides Wish support, gigantic Substitutes)
-Gorebyss (Baton Passes Aqua Ring, Acid Armor, and Amnesia if need be)
-Strong attacker that knows Baton Pass (ex. Zapdos). This is needed to kill opposing mons whenever it needs to, and can Baton Pass its boosts too. It can pivot and late-game sweep. Pick one that synergizes well with your team.

Where do you guys find what Pokemon are used most often on Pokemon Showdown? I'd like to know, particularly for some of the more "gimmicky" metagames like Inverse and Sky Battles.

So I finally caught a shiny Clauncher (yes, using the chain fishing) and I reaaaaally like the look of it so I want to use it in competitive battles. It's got:

A nature that's neither good nor bad (-Def, +Sp.Def)
IV total somewhere between 0 and 90 (IV judge says it's got "decent potential")
Best IV is Sp.Atk, but it's only 16-25 (IV judge says it's "definitely good")

Since its speed isn't that high anyway, do you think I could realistically use this guy if I EV train it right?

So I finally caught a shiny Clauncher (yes, using the chain fishing) and I reaaaaally like the look of it so I want to use it in competitive battles. It's got:

A nature that's neither good nor bad (-Def, +Sp.Def)
IV total somewhere between 0 and 90 (IV judge says it's got "decent potential")
Best IV is Sp.Atk, but it's only 16-25 (IV judge says it's "definitely good")

Since its speed isn't that high anyway, do you think I could realistically use this guy if I EV train it right?
Without a special attack-boosting nature (you'd want modest) and with an imperfect Special attack stat so far off from 31, you'd likely often miss out on crucial OHKOs/2-hit KOs, so this probably would not be a good idea, sorry :\

I see everybody saying sulveon is better then florges, but why? As cleric role (only thing im intrtested at) they both got wish, status healer, protect. Sylv has slightly higher hp but florges way more sp def! Sylv does have a potentialy better offendive move with pixilate echoed voice. Yet is that the only reason for chosing sylveon?

I see everybody saying sulveon is better then florges, but why? As cleric role (only thing im intrtested at) they both got wish, status healer, protect. Sylv has slightly higher hp but florges way more sp def! Sylv does have a potentialy better offendive move with pixilate echoed voice. Yet is that the only reason for chosing sylveon?
Higher HP means a lot for a Wish user, because it directly controls the power of their Wish. Also, Sylveon has access to a low-speed Baton Pass via Eevee levelup, allowing it to send a Wish to an ally after taking a hit in a turn, which means an ally at critical health can receive a Wish without having to worry about being finished off before it affects them as long as they can survive any existing entry hazards. Florges does not have access to Baton Pass and so must switch to pass a wish to an ally, which leaves that ally open to getting wrecked by an incoming attack before they can restore their health.

Sylveon also takes Physical hits significantly better than Florges thanks to the higher HP pool, though they're about equal (percentage-wise) on how much Special damage they take.

Higher HP means a lot for a Wish user, because it directly controls the power of their Wish. Also, Sylveon has access to a low-speed Baton Pass via Eevee levelup, allowing it to send a Wish to an ally after taking a hit in a turn, which means an ally at critical health can receive a Wish without having to worry about being finished off before it affects them as long as they can survive any existing entry hazards. Florges does not have access to Baton Pass and so must switch to pass a wish to an ally, which leaves that ally open to getting wrecked by an incoming attack before they can restore their health.

Sylveon also takes Physical hits significantly better than Florges thanks to the higher HP pool, though they're about equal (percentage-wise) on how much Special damage they take.

Ofcourse, wish hp. Havent thought of that. Neither of baton pass. your explanayion is smazing ty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)