The Inverse Battle ǝɯɐƃɐʇǝɯ

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm saying that they will stay popular forever and then people will realise that shaymin sky isbthe best way to deal with them, resulting in shaymin-sky getting ultra popular. Then it might get banned. Whatever happens though, chansey and avalugg are staying in the top 5 most used.

On another note, immunity is much better for snorlax.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, I'm saying that they will stay popular forever and then people will realise that shaymin sky isbthe best way to deal with them, resulting in shaymin-sky getting ultra popular. Then it might get banned. Whatever happens though, chansey and avalugg are staying in the top 5 most used.

On another note, immunity is much better for snorlax.
Shaymin-Sky will get banned no matter what. It's simply overpowered.
I'm guessing Thick Fat is used on Snorlax to take hits from Avalugg better.

Last edited:
Normal: the best offensive type but defensively it's rather average because it lacks resistances besides fighting.
Normal is one of the best defensive types as well. In defensively oriented metas, having no weaknesses is better than having a lot of resistances.

Electric: Decent offensively, but only 1 resistance and 3 weaknesses, though only 2 of them really matter (lol Steel).
It's also worth mentioning that many Electric types have an ability that completely negates their weakness to Electric, leaving them with two very rarely seen weaknesses (Flying and Steel). Unfortunately most Electric-types tend to be on the frail side so this doesn't really matter much.

Flying: a pretty bad type. It's weak to ground, grass and bug and it's SE only against steel, electric and rock, 3 uncommon and defensively poor types.
Flying is noticeable defensively because it takes almost no damage from entry hazards (resists Stealth Rock, is immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Sticky Web). Another plus is Roost, that lets Flying-types recover while also negating their common weaknesses.
I'd say Flying is more on the good-average side of the spectrum defensively.

Fighting: actually pretty good both offensively and defensively besides the SR weakness. Being the only type that truly counters Psychic types is also a plus.
I honestly find Fighting to be one of the worst types in the game. It sucks defensively and it's even worse offensively (if your hits are resisted by both Normal- and Ice-types you are going nowhere in this meta).

I've been asserting since the beginning of this meta that Thick Fat Snorlax has no reasons to be used over Immunity Snorlax. Toxic is literally everywhere in Inverse Battle because there are so few Pokémon that aren't affected by it, while Ice- and Fire-type attacks are not a concern anyway.

Here's my thoughts on the types as whole in the current metagame, feel free to disagree if you wish...

Normal: the best offensive type but defensively it's rather average because it lacks resistances besides fighting.
Fire: pretty mediocre offensively and really bad defensively, though it does resist Stealth Rock so a few pokemon with a better secondary type like Volcarona can benefit from it.
Water: not as bad as I thought. It has two useful resistances (especially Grass) and decent neutral coverage. Being able to beat grass types is a big plus.
Grass: a metagame-defining type, which makes grass, water, electric and ground moves more common than usual, so defensively it isn't as good as it should be. Offensively it one of the best types though.
Electric: Decent offensively, but only 1 resistance and 3 weaknesses, though only 2 of them really matter (lol Steel).
Ice: the best defensive type and surprisingly enough it's also pretty good offensively because it's the only type SE against ice, making ice attacks a necessity for most teams.
Psychic: it's very close to Gen 1 Psychic, having excellent neutral coverage and relatively uncommon weaknesses.
Ground: thanks to its advantage against grass, it's decent both offensively and defensively, though the SR weakness hurts.
Rock: the second or third worst defensive type because of its Normal weakness, and offensively it isn't that good since it's resisted by common ice, bug and flying types.
Flying: a pretty bad type. It's weak to ground, grass and bug and it's SE only against steel, electric and rock, 3 uncommon and defensively poor types.
Bug: very similiar to grass, though slightly worse offensively in exchange for a better defensive type. Overall one of the top 5 types.
Ghost: it has an awful normal weakness, but it's strong offensively and it's notable for being the only type SE against normal. Unfortunately Shadow Ball and Shadow Claw don't quite cut it against defensive behemoths like Chansey and Snorlax. Overall it's pretty mediocre.
Dark: an average type much like in singles, except its relationship with Psychic and Fighting types are reversed. Overall a decent type.
Steel: to call it "the ice type of inverse battles" is an insult to ice types. Not only is it utterly atrocious defensively, but it's terrible offensively as well. Avoid steel types unless you have a very good reason to use them. At least they can make good use of Weakness Policy...
Poison: the true ice type of inverse battles. Excellent offensively, though resisted by an important type (Grass), below average defensively, though resistant to another important type (Psychic).
Fighting: actually pretty good both offensively and defensively besides the SR weakness. Being the only type that truly counters Psychic types is also a plus.
Dragon: one of the best offensive types, resisted only by itself. Defensively it's rather average and the grass weakness is especially troublesome. Overall a solid type.
Fairy: pretty bad. It's SE against uncommon types and resisted by the common dragons. Its common weaknesses do it no favors either. It does have decent neutral coverage though.

I'll give my take on it too. I'm only good at the gimmicky kind of metagames. :)

Normal is a great type, as it is only weak to Ghost, and can hit Ghosts and Rock types super-effective now. Don't expect to plow through everything with Boomburst and Return because of Avalugg and Chansey (though Choice Band Diggersby can be a huge pain for Avalugg if it catches it on the switch, even more so with Facade). Don't use Slaking, kiddies! Avalugg will block you every time.

Fire isn't the best, with weaknesses to Grass, Bug, and other Fire types.

Water is decent for taking Grass moves, but watch out for all the Ice moves flying around.

Grass is a powerful defensive type, especially in the form of Tangrowth. Offensively, Skymin can fling around Seed Flares, and Chansey hates Leech Seed.

Electric still can't be paralyzed, which is worth considering as Thunder Wave sees some use. The loss of effectiveness against Water and Flying hurts it somewhat, but you may want to carry it for the odd Grass types such as Tangrowth or Breloom. Ground types are common enough (Diggersby, Flygon, even Groudon) that it can be good for taking them out.

Ice is the best type, at least defensively. Avalugg is the physical Blissey standard OU could only dream of, and it even gets Rapid Spin. The only physical Pokemon it fears are Shell Smash Cloyster and Black Kyurem with Ice Beam. Articuno is also a beast with Roost and Heal Bell. You need some Ice attacks to take out Avalugg at least. Mono Ice is no longer a gimmick, kiddies!

Psychic reclaims much of its Gen 1 glory, only being resisted by the uncommon Fighting and the more common Poison (see Scolipede, Gengar). You may want to carry Psychic attacks to take out stuff like Malamar and Mega Alakazam.

Ground is good for taking out Flying types now, and I've taken quite a few Grass attacks with Diggersby.

Rock has a Normal weakness, true, but Tyranitar can eat Water, Ice, and Grass attacks and laugh in Kyogre's face. I wouldn't count it out.

Flying now resists Electric, but trades it for stuff like Grass and Bug weaknesses. Still, beware of Articuno.

Bug is another good typing here. And you thought U-Turn was just for switching. . .

Ghost gets new weaknesses, but now it becomes worth considering to take out the Normal types running around like Diggersby, Chansey, Cincinno, and Snorlax.

Dark is somewhat underwhelming here, at least in my experience. Of course, this tier allows Darkrai. . .

Steel is now a crummy typing. Why do so many people think they can take Aegislash and use the Kings Shield and Swords Dance set like in OU? Genesect is good, but more for Bug than Steel.

Poison can take out Ground types now, and I've had Diggersby taken down by Sludge Bombs before. Psychic resistance is always good.

I hardly see Fighting types, so I can't say much about them here.

Dragon is only resisted by itself now, so beware the Black Kyurem and Rayquaza. However, its defenses leave much to be desired with Water, Electric, and Grass weaknesses.

I hardly see Fairies here. Having a Dragon weakness doesn't do it any favors.

No, it doesn't. Abilities work the same.

EDIT: By the way, has anyone else noticed that thanks to Thick Fat and the Ground typing, Mamoswine is the only Ice-type that actuallly resists Ice? =P

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wait, does Thick Fat make you weak to fire and ice in inverse battles?
Whoops, typo.

As a side note, Fighting appears to have switched places with Psychic and now sucks defensively due to a U-Turn/Pursuit weakness. They aren't all that great offensively either. Tyranitar can now trap Breloom and other frail Fighting types. The only reason Mienshao's semi-decent is because of U-Turn. Otherwise, Fighting-types should not be used much.

The replay couldn't save due to an error on the server, but I can make a case against Attack Deoxys. Granted, Tyranitar IS weak to Psychic now, but a mixed Attack Deoxys (implying that not all 252 EVs were used for Special Attack) used a Psycho Boost took out my 252 Special Defense, 4 HP Careful Tyranitar. . .in the sand. . .with HALF Special Attack. It was NOT choiced, as he had used Superpower earlier.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
EDIT: By the way, has anyone else noticed that thanks to Thick Fat and the Ground typing, Mamoswine is the only Ice-type that actuallly resists Ice? =P
Indeed, and it's an overall excellent tank with only 2 not-so-common weaknesses, many useful resistances (ice, fire, water, fighting and grass) and great STABs. It also gets Knock Off and Stealth rock so it can support too!
It even gets dual screens if you feel creative, though set-up sweepers are hard to use in a tier dominated by powerful walls and phazers.

I believe I've fought you twice today actually lol
I'm chubby penguins. Totally agree with you, forget lugia or giratina walls, Chansey and avalugg are the shit. I fought the #2 today and he uses a similar defensive strategy but he also uses mew very well which acts as a bulky taunter with good typing, unpredictability, a good stab, and will-o-miss to top it off. I'm Currently at 2290 and still unbeaten with this team, but deviation is going down painfully slowly.

Cool! I had a suspicion I've seen you often today. I didn't know you were 2290! That explains how good you were. (Meanwhile I try using Ubers and do worse than when I use standard Pokemon).

I hate Mew! It usually carries Taunt and Will-o-Wisp, in addition to Psychic or Psyshock. Inverse battles make Psychics quite bulky.

Listen, I'm sorry if I'm about to sound condescending or mean, but... stop overselling Avalugg and Chansey.
Saying that a team is good or unbeaten just because it uses them as a defensive core sounds incredibly naïve to my ear.

First of all, that's what many people have been using since the beginning of this meta. It's nothing new, it's nothing special, and it says absolutely nothing about one's team or how it works.

Second, this core was good but beatable before Pokébank. But now, with all the Ubers roaming around, it's almost trivial to beat. Most Ubers fall in any of the following categories: a) they are insanely strong mixed attackers that can take down Avalugg/Chansey/Blissey by targeting their weaker side; b) they are special attackers that can set up in Chansey/Blissey's face thanks to 101+ Substitutes and Calm Mind; 3) they are special attackers that have some other trick to break through Chansey/Blissey (Shaymin-S has Air Slash/Seed Flare, Mega Gengar has Shadow Tag/Perish Song, etc.).

Third, they don't help you beat other stall teams (which are extremely common). This is why using Mew as part of the defensive core is not a similar strategy at all. Mew is not simply defensive like Chansey and Avalugg, it also helps you beat other defensive cores, thanks to Taunt. And it also helps you stop some threats Avalugg/Chansey can't handle, like last standing Curselax.

I've never battled against you, but from what you said in this thread, no, you aren't winning because you use Avalugg and Chansey. You are winning because you use frigging Shaymin-S and Kyogre!

Kyogre is just my counter to bulky grass types actually lol. I'm not saying it's unbeaten* JUST BECAUSE of my defensive core, but the team together seems to synergies well. And I know chansey/avalugg is nothgin new or special, but that doesn't mean it's not very good. And yes, I do have problems with stall teams, but they tend to fall apart after 70 or so turns.
Also, i wanna battle you now, you sound like a good challenge lol

*just got beaten by a crit, actually. Now my deviation is completely stuck at 127 so i'll have to make a new alt. edit: new alt is 'penguin brawl'.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they're UNBEATABLE; just a very good defensive core of the kind you can't get in OU.

I always have the worst time when I actually use Ubers. I've realized that some of them have hard counters too. I use a max Attack, max Special Defense Gogoat as a hard counter to Skymin, and Kyogre can be beaten with specially defensive Tyranitar (Aqua Tail can hurt Kyogre, Skymin, and the odd Dragon pretty badly). Avalugg can be beaten (2HKO) with Ice Beams from the same Tyranitar with some Special Attacking investment. It also has a hard time with Choice Band Diggersby.

My usual team now is something like: Avalugg, Chansey, Tyranitar, Scolipede, Mega Gengar, and Gogoat. I may ditch Mega Gengar, because of the "Ubers Curse" I seem to have with them.

Can't ANYTHING be beaten with enough flinches? :)

As for Mega Gengar, I tried it again, and it is INCREDIBLY BROKEN. Shadow Tag, Pain Split, and Taunt are just too good for standard.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The metagame seems dominated by a lot of Ubers right now and I'm thinking on banning or not, but only if the ubers are too overcentralising. Since pokebank has been lifted only so recently and I haven't been unable to play much, what would you say are the worst threats? From what I've seen, I'm banning Mega Gengar straight away (to be updated later) for the same reasons it was banned on OU.

Good. Mega Gengar is silly.

I would suggest banning Skymin. It's banned in OU, and Grass/Flying suddenly isn't such a bad typing in Inverse. I can hard counter it with specially defensive Gogoat, but that's the thing; I needed a Pokemon specifically designed to beat Skymin, because only Sap Sipper and types that are 4X resistant to Grass can stand a Seed Flare. As for special walls, Substitute and Leech Seed laugh at Chansey. I also run Tyranitar as a secondary special wall just in case Kyogre and Skymin come to play. (You may want to ban Kyogre too, come to think of it. . .)

skymin gets into trouble with bulky water types like suicune or kyogre, and kyogre gets owned by things like tyranitar, so i'm thinking that those 2 are actually fair. since pretty much all water types check shaymin sky, maybe it should be aloud, and if it is aloud, it can also check darkrai. goes around in a sort of circle. skymin isn't very bulky, just has good coverage, decent moves, and a good ability. Yes, it's good, but i think that powerhouse normal types are generally more powerful. As long as mew two and arceus are out of the equation, i think all is fine. Why was mega gengar banned?

skymin gets into trouble with bulky water types like suicune or kyogre, and kyogre gets owned by things like tyranitar, so i'm thinking that those 2 are actually fair. since pretty much all water types check shaymin sky, maybe it should be aloud, and if it is aloud, it can also check darkrai. goes around in a sort of circle. skymin isn't very bulky, just has good coverage, decent moves, and a good ability. Yes, it's good, but i think that powerhouse normal types are generally more powerful. As long as mew two and arceus are out of the equation, i think all is fine. Why was mega gengar banned?
Mega Gengar should be banned because it's a fast special attacker with a sizable support movepool that HAS SHADOW TAG. It's also just bulky enough to survive some hits. It's the perfect way to break Chansey and Avalugg (Taunt + Pain Split + Shadow Ball).

You have a good point about Skymin. I don't often see Suicunes, but when I do, they are very effective walls.

ok, thanks for explaining the wall-breaking power of mega gengar.
Also, your gogoat is a crazy counter to skymin lol
i see why everything else has been banned but i honestly think it's pretty balanced now, pokemon-wise (not type-wise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)