Lady Marmalade [VoltTurn in XY OU]

LADY MARMALADE
I am so excited to bring you my XY OU team, all centered on the incomparable Shift Gear Genesect. I saw that Gene got a bunch of goodies this generation, and I wanted to craft my team to support one of the newest and most devastating sweepers in the tier. I also wanted to experiment with a new playstyle, VoltTurn. I’ve been unsuccessful with them in the past, so I had to go back to the basics to figure out what makes a VoltTurn team good, and I’d like to believe that I’ve found it. I now present the Queens of Pop.

TEAM BUILDING

I started off with the aforementioned Shift Gear Genesect.

Immediately, I decided to add Rotom-Wash to the mix. The two have impeccable synergy, and Rotom’s bulk is much appreciated.

Stealth Rocks was a must, and I needed someone who could force switches, beat Genesect’s counters, and gain momentum. In comes Landorus-Therian.

Gen VI brought in a new team consideration: who’s going to occupy the Mega slot? I needed a Mega who could still VoltTurn but had other utility. Although controversial, [Mega]Ampharos was my decision.

Dragons seemed to be a concern with this team, and I didn’t want to depend on my main sweeper to be the main switch-in to a predicted Dragon move. I decided to go with Whimsicott, who’s new typing not only grants it a Dragon-immunity, but gives it some useful resistances to Fighting, Dark, and a neutrality to Bug. Plus it’s got tons of utility for my team.

The last slot changed a lot. Ideally, I wanted someone who could take advantage of an immunity (either a Ghost immunity for Aegislash or a Fighting immunity for [Mega]Lucario). I originally decided to go with Meloetta, who could use her Ghost resistance to switch into all Aegislash while also hitting back hard.

After a few battles where Meloetta became a glorified sac, I decided to switch things up. I needed a little more speed, but I hate using Choice Scarfers. So I went natural with Infernape. Another controversy, I know, but bear with me.

Nicki Minaj (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

I know, Landy-T is a dude and Nicki Minaj is…not. But I’d like to believe he’s more like Roman, Nicki’s aggressive male alter-ego. Landorus-T is fairly standard, and performs as well as expected. He’s got good natural bulk, good speed, and strong attacking stats even when uninvested. He can reliably lay down Stealth Rocks and put a stop to some of the most powerful physical threats in the tier. Originally I ran Knock Off, which was nice, but left me wanting against Dragons and Gliscor. So I switched to HP-Ice, but it hasn’t seen much use so far. We’ll see. Not too much to say except Rue Paul would be proud.

Britney Spears (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Britney has never looked better, and her career is still alive, even after nearly 20 years in the business. Much like Britney, Rotom-W has been around for a long time, doing what she does best: being a bitch. Rotom is the peanut butter to the various jams on this team: perfect synergy with Genesect, near-perfect synergy with Landy-T, great synergy with Infernape, even better synergy with Whimsicott. She’s very much the glue for my team, and has the bulk to hold it all together. Standard Chesto Resto, with a focus on physical bulk to take on Talonflame, who can pose a huge threat to Genesect. Maybe considering throwing in some speed to outspeed max-speed Heatran (got shredded by a max-speed Magma Storm Heatran).

Ke$ha (Ampharos) (F) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Heal Bell

Love her or hate her, she’s getting wasted and having sex with truckers. Ke$ha’s long, tangled mane is awash with hard liquor and gasoline, so keep her away from fire. MAmphy has been my favorite Mega (sorry MBanette) since its release. She got a great retype and some much needed bulk to finally make her relevant in OU. What’s more, she has the strongest Volt Switch IN THE GAME. I couldn’t pass that up. It gets near-perfect neutral coverage between its three moves, and runs the ever-useful Heal Bell for the untimely status. People underestimate 1) how powerful she is and 2) how bulky she is, which is always to my advantage.

Katy Perry (Infernape) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Baby, you’re a firework! Katy Perry spares no expense to make an entrance, and Infernape knows a thing or two about flashy entrances (read: its head is on fire). People really think Infernape is unviable in this metagame. But what they fail to realize is that as a metagame becomes more hostile to a Pokemon, that Pokemon can find a new niche within the same context. Most people don’t expect me to use Infernape seriously, but she’s got so much I’m looking for: great synergy with my team, naturally high attacking stats, and a fabulous movepool. I decided to go with Choice Band instead of Scarf. It lets me get the most out of Infernape power-wise while still letting me take advantage of her natural speed. The all-star movepool consists of Close Combat and Flare Blitz, which will hurt even if resisted, a subtly boosted Mach Punch (great for unsuspecting Greninja), and U-turn, the icing on the cake. Personally, I love using her. But show me someone who can do what Katy Perry does better and I’ll consider.

+

AGSGDLVG (Whimsicott) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Moonblast

ArianaGrandeSelenaGomezDemiLovatoVictoriaJustice, FYI. Cookie-cutter teen beauties who got their start on Nickelodeon/Disney channel and have since taken advantage of their pre-teen following to boost their record sales in the adult world. Even if their music is annoying, the business model is infallible. Whimsicott, like a teeny bopper, performs multiple duties while going to the prom with two dates in under 22 minutes. Lovely typing grants it some interesting resistants, while its speed investment is just enough to get the jump on MLucario. Encore is ideal for beating boosters (Dragonite, Volcarona, MCharizard X, etc.) while Taunt halts hazards and stops set-ups and status. I went with Moonblast instead of Giga Drain because it’s a higher base power move with better coverage. Even uninvested, it hits pretty hard. Come and get the way you give me a heart attack of gold.

P!nk (Genesect) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Download
Hasty Nature
- Shift Gear
- Iron Head
- Blaze Kick
- Extreme Speed

And now, it’s time for the OG herself, Grammy Award-winning punk mom herself, P!nk! Although she has shed most of her unsavory countenance, she’ll always be the same old dyed-hair alternative gal who somehow knows how to appeal to the mainstream market. Genesect is a threat. Do not go to sleep on her. Don’t let her get a +1 Atk, and don’t let her get a Shift Gear under her belt, because by the time all this has happened, it will be too late for you to do anything. I try to play conservatively with her, only bringing her out when her checks have been thoroughly weakened and her counters have been eliminated. Unfortunately, because this is an event Genesect, I am forced to run Hasty rather than Jolly, and trust me, you notice the reduced Defense. Otherwise, this set is lethal. Lum Berry gives me a little insurance against status, and although the boost from a Life Orb would be nice, the residual damage would only cut Genesect’s time short and reduce her already diminished bulk. Blaze Kick and Extreme Speed are essential, and get damn good coverage. The only thing I needed was the appropriate STAB, and Iron Head seemed much more useful to me than X-Scissor (more neutral coverage). If you see her at +2/+2, “blow me one last kiss”.

THREATS

Heatran: Getting rid of this thing is a must if I want to sweep with Genesect. It resists the whole moveset, and can destroy her with a Fire move.

Gliscor: It naturally outspeeds most of my team and can stall me out with Toxic or outright beat me with Earthquake. I gotta make sure this thing is worn down before I try to sweep.

Various Bulky Waters: With Rotom-W and MAmphy, this isn’t such a big deal. But I’ve gotta stay vigilant.

MegaCharizard X: If I can’t stop this thing from setting up on me, it will outright sweep me. The weird thing is, Whimsicott is my best answer, and can Encore it on a Dragon move or a boosting move. But I can never play too safe.

REPLAYS:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73904753
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-73820022
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74077255
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74222029
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74643057
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-74756100

IMPORTABLE
Code:
P!nk (Genesect) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Download
Hasty Nature
- Shift Gear
- Iron Head
- Blaze Kick
- Extreme Speed

Nicki Minaj (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Britney Spears (Rotom-Wash) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Ke$ha (Ampharos) (F) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Heal Bell

Katy Perry (Infernape) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

AGSGDLVG (Whimsicott) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Moonblast
So that’s the team. For your rates, keep in mind that I would like to keep SG Genesect as my main sweeper, and that I would like all the other team members to be VoltTurn-capable.

I hope you enjoyed reading, thanks!

Last edited:
I use this team when I'm up at my friend's house. I really enoy using it thanks for posting =] It's really fun and if you play it well it can get things done. It has trouble with some things, no doubt, but if it gets going it's a train. When there's momentum against me, sometimes it can be hard to stop because some of the mons can get weakened or don't take a hit so this team plays best at an advantage and getting a good start is also very important. I also never noticed how strong this Genesect is and how many different ways it can be played to benefit the team. Genesect is the best bluffer firstly, so I can play it and create from there, and it also gets good damage before and after the shift gear so I can weaken things and run or set up for a sweep.

The Amphy hits, hard. So it's great for weakening things and the Rotom is great to spam until I find a better position to do things.

Great team if I do say but due to the way it plays, it may cost you some matches just from how much it needs to be playing at an advantage or from a good start. I'm not sure I've had a great comeback win with the team and I'm not sure it has much potential to do so either.

- Yuy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)