Battle Mechanics Research

now that i have all the previously 80 BP natural gift berries in x/y, i checked to see if my +20 BP hypothesis was correct, as well as confirm their types stayed the same, plus get maranga+kee berry's types and power. the short version is that they are all 100 BP, all the old ones have the same type, and maranga and kee berry are dark and fairy-typed, respectively.

the long version involves an exploud (and quagsire for a brief period) getting the shit beat out of it by a simisear:

Lv 42 Simisear with 104 attack
Exploud with 78 defense
Quagsire with 97 defense

neutral natural gift with 95/100/105 BPs:
Vs Exploud
95: 39-47
100: 42-50
105: 44-52

Vs Quagsire
95: 32-38
100: 34-40
105: 35-42

i stopped getting damage rolls once i got at least one roll that was impossible with 95 and 105 BP each. bolded values are impossible with 95 BP, and underlined values are impossible with 105 BP. with the exception of salac berry, all of the following use exploud as the defending pokemon.

super-effective on quagsire=grass
Damage rolls: 44, 42, 43, 46, 46, 49

resisted by bergmite=ice
Damage rolls: 48, 45, 46, 50, 46, 49, 50, 47, 46, 48, 46, 46, 47, 43

doesn't affect gengar, resisted by muk=fighting
Damage rolls (vs quagsire): 34, 39

doesn't affect forretress=poison
Damage rolls: 44, 46, 43, 49

doesn't affect vivillon=ground
Damage rolls: 44, 49, 49, 45, 47, 42

super-effective on accelgor, neutral on garchomp=flying
Damage rolls: 49, 48, 43

doesn't affect zoroark=psychic
Damage rolls: 50, 48, 48, 49, 46, 47, 42

super-effective on sawk, resisted by muk=fairy
Damage rolls: 45, 47, 49, 47, 49, 47, 47, 43

resisted by sawk, super-effective on gengar=dark
Damage rolls: 46, 46, 48, 43

I'm sure this has already been posted, but I've always been curious, so I thought I'd post anyway. If regular Kangaskhan's ability is changed to Mummy, then mega evolves, its ability doesn't stay Mummy, it still becomes Parental Bond.

Storm Drain changed?

I tested in Triple Battle. My Greninja used Scald and Gastrodon gets Special attack boost twice

^ Are you sure that the first ability prompt didn't just say "Gastrodon took the attack?"
The stat bonus occurs on the 2nd ability prompt where it says it rose.

By the way, excuse me if this was brought up already,
but Ally Switch will automatically fail in multi battles.
Learned that the hard way last night. D:

giratina-o does not take boosted damage from knock off, much like mega evos. my lv 44 banette with 133 attack did 68 damage to my 88 defense giratina-o, when a boosted knock off would've done 96-114 damage.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Just tested the above. Confirming that it doesn't deal extra dmg.

my 36 atk lv.30 Tangela did 6 dmg to my 425/227 HP/Def LV.100 Giratina-O. Damage range for unboosted Knock Off was 6-8.

What happens if Quick Feet Scolipede is transferred to XY? (It might e obvious but I want confirmation about it's hidden ability being changed or just him getting a second one)
I haven't been able to confirm anything myself, but I have heard (from GameFAQs, take this with a grain of salt) that it's like a Gen 3 ability in a Gen 4 game. Venipede/Whirlipede/Scolipede will keep Quick Feet, but then if they evolve, they will change to Speed Boost.

Neat bit of trivia here I discovered during last night's Battle Spot session.
I wasn't intending (or even contemplating) on finding out the following,
this may or may not be useful information.

Quick Guard does not block moves granted priority by the item Quick Claw.

Neat bit of trivia here I discovered during last night's Battle Spot session.
I wasn't intending (or even contemplating) on finding out the following,
this may or may not be useful information.

Quick Guard does not block moves granted priority by the item Quick Claw.
IIRC that's because Quick Claw doesn't actually add priority the way Gale Wings or Prankster do. It just allows you to move first if your move and your opponent's move are in the same priority bracket.

Does Big Root boost the healing of HP-absorbing moves by 30%, or 33.3...%?

Asking because according to experiments on Bulbapedia's discussion pages, Oblivion Wing's restoration was boosted from 75% to 100% under a Big Root, instead of 97.5%. But I can't find anything proving whether the usual 50% restoration is boosted to 65% or 66.6...%.

I doubt that the critical rate at default stage remains 1/16.

Akizakura, a Japanese trainer tested the rates with his ROMs, having his Skill Link Shellders use Icicle Spear (4 Shellders, with PP 30, each hitting 5 times). Results are as below:
Rank 0: 53 critical hits in 600 times (1/12 assumed)
Rank 1 (Scope Lens): 86 critical hits in 600 times (1/6, perhaps)
Rank 2 (Focus Energy Baton-Passed): 294 critical hits in 600 times (1/2 assumed)
Rank 3 (Scope Lens and Focus Energy Baton-Passed): 150 critical hits in 150 times (always)

This is a statistical analysis, each following a beta distribution. At Rank 0, the critical rate is probably(99.47%) higher than 1/16, and assumed 1/12.
Rank 0:
Mode of Rate: 0.0883 (1/11.3)
Probability of Rate 1/16 or lower: 0.53%
Probability of Rate 1/10 or higher: 18.56%
95% confidence interval: Between 0.0682 and 0.1138
Rank 1:
Mode of Rate: 0.1433 (1/6.98)
Probability of Rate 1/8 or lower: 8.23%
Probability of Rate 1/6 or higher: 6.52%
95% confidence interval: Between 0.1176 and 0.1737
Rank 2:
Mode of Rate: 0.49 (1/2.04)
Probability of Rate 9/20 or lower: 2.45%
Probability of Rate 11/20 or higher: 0.16%
95% confidence interval: Between 0.4502 and 0.5300

However, including previously posted data at Rank 1, there are 377 critical hits in 2987 trials. According to the results, the hypothesis of rate 1/8 can't be rejected, though SUN guesses it 1/6.
Mode of Rate: 0.1262 (1/7.92)
Probability of Rate 1/8 or lower: 40.99%
Probability of Rate 1/7 or higher: 0.44%
95% confidence interval: Between 0.1094 and 0.1357

Sorry, but both pages are written in Japanese.
In-game Test by Akizakura
Statistical Analysis by SUN

Fling + Unburden + Iron Ball?
Unburden activates any time an item is lost. So Flinging an item will grant a Pokémon the effects of Unburden. If you're curious about the way turn order and speed is affected, turn order is decided before the turn started. For speed, you will be operating at 50% speed as long as you're holding the ball, but once you Fling the Iron Ball you'll be at 200%.

So on another note, I don't know if this was already confirmed in the thread, but Aerilate will not boost the range of attacks in triple battles, unlike other Flying-type moves. (Air Cutter being the only flying type move that can't hit anywhere on the field.)

Last edited:
Has anyone tested to see whether Unnerve prevents the consumption of Berry Juice?
no, they don't.

other random things:
-parting shot is intercepted by pursuit when used versus a slower pursuit user.
-unnerve does not prevent berry juice from activating.
-sleep talk does not trigger stance change, regardless of the move it picks.
-electric terrain giving a boost to electric moves of grounded mons was alluded to earlier in the thread, which i wanted to confirm, as well as see if its power boost matched grassy terrain's of 50% (spoilers: yes to both):

lv 45 magneton with 138 special attack using thunderbolt vs 89 special defense avalugg:
111, 120, 117, 117, 121, 127, 109, 108
a 135 BP thunderbolt (before STAB) should yield anywhere between 108-127 damage, so electric terrain does indeed provide a 50% boost to electric moves of grounded mons.

So it would appear that toxic hits thru Phantom Force ingame, but I haven't been able to replicate this with any other status move.

So it would appear that toxic hits thru Phantom Force ingame, but I haven't been able to replicate this with any other status move.
what you're likely witnessing is a new property of toxic where when used by a poison-type, it's as if the pokemon has no guard and won't miss, including misses that would be caused by phantom force (or dig/fly/etc).

what you're likely witnessing is a new property of toxic where when used by a poison-type, it's as if the pokemon has no guard and won't miss, including misses that would be caused by phantom force (or dig/fly/etc).
That would probably be it. Can't think of any other reason.

Does Feint lift the effects of Wide Guard and Quick Guard for all of the opponent's Pokémon or just the one who was attacked or used the protection?

Since according to TVs ingame Incinerate destroys gems now, can we see if Unnerve disallows Gems from Working?
V4Victini and I tested out incinerate and can verify that Incinerate does in fact burn gems away like the in-game tv shows describe. Since Incinerate got this treatment, I checked to see if Unnerve prevented the use of gems in a similar way. It did not, V4 was free to use his normal gem while my Unnerve Pyroar was out.

This is possibly a stupid question but how does Memento function against Magic Bounce / Magic Coat? Because Parting Shot is reversed by these moves and abilities (user takes a stat hit while the target is forced out), I'm sort of hopeful that Memento now KO's a target with Magic Bounce at the cost of sharp attack stat drops to the user.
Then again I may be crazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)