AGDQ 2014 Jan. 5th-11th - A Speedrun charity event for the Prevent Cancer Foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Awesome Games Done Quick 2014 - A 7-day Speerun charity event for the Prevent Cancer Foundation by SDA
BONUS STREAM Jan. 12th-14th

-Approved by cookie​

Hi all. So I'm posting this thread to promote this amazing charity event called "Awesome Games Done Quick". Every year since 2011 (I think), speedrunners from SpeedDemosArchive (SDA) and SpeedRunsLive (SRL) come together to play games as fast as they can to raise money for a good cause. People from all over world, ranging from the US and Canada, to places like Europe (one guy is from my homeland, Sweden) and Australia. Last year, these guys raised over 400 000 dollars for the Prevent Cancer Foundation, and for their summer event the same year, Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ), they raised over 250 000 dollars for Doctors Without Borders. These are no small feats, and shows that this is no joke.

The event runs from January 5th (12PM EST) through the 11th, with a bonus stream running from January 12th through the 14th, and can be watched on SDA's website as well as on their Twitch.tv channel. The stream is ongoing for 24 hours every day during this week.

These guys won't forcefully ask you to donate to this cause. Just by watching you support it, as the ad revenue from Twitch goes directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. However, by donating you can win some awesome prices if you donate the ammount required. You can read more about this on SDA's homepage (links below).

So, if you enjoy videogames and want to support a great cause, please tune in and watch these people do what they love (some even do this for a living). You'll be highly entertained, I promise you that.

Links:

SDA/GamesDoneQuick's homepage:
http://gamesdonequick.com/
SDA's Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

Watch the event on either of these pages.

SDA's Youtube channel: http://tinyurl.com/nvww2m6

Check out SDA's Youtube channel for speedruns and past marathon runs if you're curious about what speedruns really are.

The AGDQ schedule: http://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Check this page out to see what games are going to be run, as well as the times they will be on stream (times are shown as your local time).

Jak and Daxter (highly entertaining runner)
Super Monkey Ball 2
Banjo Kazooie

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (this will blow your mind; it's a lot more technical than you'd think + an amazing runner)

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World
TLoZ: A Link to the Past

TLoZ: Twilight Princess
Donkey Kong Country 1-3
Diddy Kong Racing (watch the current WR holder run this; this will entertain you)

TLoZ: Majora's Mask
TLoZ: Ocarina of Time
Super Metroid

Paper Mario
(this game will have the same, let's say, "entertainment value" as Diddy Kong Racing)
Super Mario 64 (this will be one-handed)
TLoZ: Wind Waker HD

These are just my recommendations from past experiences; I haven't been disappointed by these games before. But watch as much as you can; you never know what will happen with these runs. There might be some hidden gems in that schedule.

Also, feel free to discuss the runs you've seen throughout the week. However, don't badmouth any of the runners or the audience, wheter it's some personal thing about them or if they made some mistake during their run. These people take their time and spent their own money to get to this event to raise money for a good cause.

Thanks for taking your time reading this, and I hope you take your time to watch as well. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them to the best of my abilities. Other users may have an answer as well.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This years line-up is just killer 100% Yoshi's Island, 1:10 Pikmin 3, TAS Block, Fire Emblem runs, AoE2, Glitched Soul Silver, 4 person Super Metroid Race, WWHD, what more can you ask for in a week?

I'll certainly be watching this a ton, I'll probably be chatting with folks in #orangeislands or #firebot all week about the current runs whenever I'm not in class.

Last edited:

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This years line-up is just killer 100% Yoshi's Island, 1:10 Pikmin 3, TAS Block, Fire Emblem runs, AoE2, Glitched Soul Silver, 4 person Super Metroid Race, WWHD, what more can you ask for in a week?

I'll certainly be watching this a ton, I'll probably be chatting with folks in #orangeislands or #firebot all week about the current runs whenever I'm not in class.
Yeah, this is going to be hype as hell. Especially Yoshi's Island. I've beeen watching Trihex training his ass off for the 100% WR, so it will certainly be something.

It's gonna be great to if the RNG gods are on Cosmo's side as well, lol. I watched a like 15 minute attempt for the Swift Sail on stream a few days back. Plus, that a guy found a new Helmaroc skip 2 hours before Cosmo was leaving for AGDQ. I wonder if he'll try it out.

Gonna watch as much as I can of this, despite having to go to work inbetween runs. I'll be able to catch most of the games I wanna watch, except I'll miss half of Twilight Princess and most likely the whole Kid Icarus run. ;-; Got sunday and monday off though, very happy about that.

Also, see you in #OI then.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Really sad that paraxade and darkspinesonic aren't doing any runs this year, but I'll definitely stay tuned for Sonic Adventure DX, Halo 2, what looks like the WR holder for IWBTG, Twilight Princess, and of course, anything cosmo's doing.

Also do we know if WWHD removed any skips as of now? I haven't been keeping up with any WR's outside of Sonic Generations for the past few months.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Also do we know if WWHD removed any skips as of now? I haven't been keeping up with any WR's outside of Sonic Generations for the past few months.
Depends on what you mean by "removed". Like, do you mean what they can't do anymore, or do you mean what got removed from the route itself?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The runs of WW versus WWHD are very very different currently, at first Cosmo thought that WWHD wouldn't be run as much as the first but some nice things happened.

Pros to WWHD:
-You can skip the dumb intro
-Faster boat travel with sail
-Faster song conducting
-Gamepad item switching/tingle (not 100% on this but seems so from casual viewing)
-Tingle quest greatly reduced

Cons
-No storage thus no 'superswims'

Aesthetic
-Spanish text is faster in WWHD while in WW it's Japanese

WW World Record any%: 4:25:54
WWHD World Record any%: 4:17:53

Time may still show if someone can perfectly pull off every superswim and such and beat the HD version but it's nice to the update didn't just remove every skip and make it a worse game to watch being run.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Spanish text isn't the fastest though. Italian is slightly faster, but without a PAL Wii U, you can't change it to italian, so most americans, including Cosmo, settle with spanish. Just figured I'd put that other there.

Also, before this new Helmaroc skip (haven't seen the new one myself yet), you couldn't float past Helmaroc so you had to hit it with the hammer to advance. This made the old zombie hover over the spikes harder since Helmaroc could intercept it with its attacks.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Skips aren't the end all be all of whether a speed run is fun to watch or not, hell classic Tomb Raider runs are pretty awful due to the kind of exploits that go on in them.

that was the best thing like surely if we can do that we can beat cancer right

sorry I am just super amazed

(here is a video of it
)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
I hope some of you go back to watch Sonic R to appreciate the absurdity of cosplay sing alongs.

Tri-Hex was on fire in his Yoshi's Island run. Apparently literally, because they've evacuated the building.

TRIHEX IS ON FUCKING FIRE. He stepped his game up so fucking much that it was scary. He learned all the newest tricks with ease and the most deadly fact....he was more consistant at the game than even me. I literally had no shot at getting good at the game before AGDQ topic was made so I accepted defeat and realized Trihex was the only runner who literally deserved the game (this means he earned the right to represent #yoshi at AGDQ if it got in and everyone in #yoshi agreed with me). I've never seen anyone work so hard and the day I watched him do his first run with these new strats was the first Yoshi's Island stream I've seen since my last run in April. That's how confident I was when I decided to skip offering Yoshi's Island for AGDQ.

is anyone else having problems watching the stream at all? I had no problems at SGDQ and this is just really annoying me right now

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Replays of the day should be up the next day I think, I know they have the videos from yesterday on the videos tab so basing it on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)