The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

Whelp, all I can say is wow...GSP vacates his title. Good for him I guess, better to walk out on top, young, and with a decent fortune over continuing to fight. Though who knows, may just end up being a year or two break before he gets the itch to fight again.

So, I see Silva winning back the title easily assuming he doesn't act stupid again, as in all likelihood he just got Serra'd by Weidman. Unless his chin has really given out.

Barnett/Browne, I dunno, tempting to go with the younger fighter but Browne made some dumb moves against Overeem and that front kick KO was to me a bit lucky anyways. So thinking Barnett will take this.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tate win over Rousey as well, Rousey came off as a complete heel on TUF, and looking at some of her interviews and such, I don't think it's that far off. Plus Tate is hotter imo. Rousey's just a 1-trick pony with the armbar anyways and it won't always work for her except against the rather lacking competition in a small division. If Cat was still in over Tate I would pick Cat to win via knees anyways.

Edit: This is exactly why I need to root against the fighters I secretly want to win >.>

Though Silva/Weidman seems a bit inconclusive still, yes technically Silva lost and Weidman had R1 likely on the scorecards, but that's a bit of a freak occurrence Silva breaking his leg like that in R2. Talk about an unfulfilling end...either way the MW division is still freed up for new competitors now since Silva will be out for a while for any 3rd potential match to happen, if he even bothers returning. Personally, I'm expecting Sonnen to move down any time to challenge again, he sells fights well and I think he's a better fighter overall than Weidman. Probably being a bit disrespectful to Weidman, but outside of Silva his fights against other top competition has consisted of Munoz and Maia, there's still plenty of other MW and LHWs moving down that'll probably beat him. Not expecting his reign to last long.

Last edited:
^Weidman's way better than Sonnen imo. Sonnen has nothing on Weidman who is stronger than him in every area. Weidman would sub Sonnen early imo. The only 205er who could realistically drop down and challenge Weidman imo would be Rashad and he's probably content at 205. Maybe if Cormier ragdolls him he might. Shogun might drop down but I don't think he could beat Weidman or any of the top 3-4 guys below him at this point.

Silva's done bro, I'm 100% certain. That injury will take a year minimum just to get back into fighting shape and Silva's been trying to retire for a while now. Maybe. Who knows.

Full props to Chris Weidman. He's a competitor and a humble, awesome guy. He's a top man in my book. He showed no fear against Silva and took it to him like a champ should. This is what almost all of Silva's previous opponents were incapable of. I thought the fight was over when he dropped Silva in the first.

Extremely unfortunate what happened with the ending, but that's life for ya. It sucks because you could feel the fight picking up and just as it did, it ended. I feel bummed out for the fans who were there live, for Weidman, and for Silva of course because that looked very painful. If this really is the end, thanks for everything Silva. Same for GSP. Same for Vitali Klitschko, though unrelated.

185 is where it's at right now. Bring on Vitor. Bring on Jacare. Bring on Machida. Bring on Mousasi. Damn is it looking exciting at middleweight. Bring back Palhares to make things interesting. 2014 is going to be interesting to see how it all pans out. My favorite is Mousasi. I think he will KO Machida. He's smart and patient enough not to rush Machida and will catch him imo. Or win a split decision. I think he's a more complete striker than Machida and will time and stalk him all night. Weidman will most likely beat Belfort. Jacare is the wild card. Weidman, Jacare, or Mousasi will be 185 champ at the end of next year. I think any of these 5 guys (besides Palhares, who probably will never see UFC lights again) are capable of beating each other.

As for the bimbo fight, I don't really care tbh. How many good women fighters are there even? I like Ronda because she's sexy and because she was brought up in Gokor's gym. I like anyone Gokor trains besides Karo Parisyan. Too bad his guy Manny lost but I like Denis Siver, so it's all good.

I think next is Travis Brown vs Werdum and winner gets Cain. That was a badass stoppage for Brown. Didn't see that coming. Thought Barnet's experience would see him through but the fight didn't last long enough to really see how well Brown could handle the wrestling.

Unrelated to tonight but 170 is going to be interesting now as well. I think Jake Shields and Johnny Hendricks are the 2 guys most likely to hold the belt this time next year. Who the hell knows lol.

Last edited:
Oh and speaking of WILDCARDS, guess who is rumored to be returning to the octagon????? Hint: 'THE NEXT BIG THING...'

Hopefully it's true and if it is I really wouldn't be that surprised. He was the biggest draw the UFC's ever had. No surprise if they dish out the big bucks to get 'em back.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
glad Weidman defeated Silva again. If it wasn't Silva it was gonna be GSP. Not a fan of Silva or his fighting style. And I have to agree with Matt Serra too, fuck him.

Expecting Brock Lesnar back in mid 2014 and expect Velasquez to tear him a 4th hole.

Be interesting to see if Vitor magically loses size and mass before fighting in the US again, not that I'm saying the Brazilian athletic commission is shady as fuck.. oh wait that's exactly what I'm saying.

Expecting Brock Lesnar back in mid 2014 and expect Velasquez to tear him a 4th hole.
Even if Lesnar does come back (unlikely) the odds of him getting to fight Velasquez again are slim to none.

Why would Lesnar ever want to bother with the UFC again, he just restarted his wrestling gig and he was champ of the UFC, which is about as high as you can get, I doubt he's motivated to bother trying again since he's probably only wrestling for the money over joy of doing it. Besides, unless he can ever learn to take a punch, he's just gonna get TKOed like before if he faces Velazquez. Though I still think Lesnar is a good case of what if MMA was mainstream earlier, he's still a giant physical specimen and pretty damn fast, if he'd learned it early on I think he could have very well been a long reigning HW champ.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Be interesting to see if Vitor magically loses size and mass before fighting in the US again, not that I'm saying the Brazilian athletic commission is shady as fuck.. oh wait that's exactly what I'm saying.

Even if Lesnar does come back (unlikely) the odds of him getting to fight Velasquez again are slim to none.
Man at this point the type of shit Dana is doing I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. I hate to say it, but I think you were right about Dana making weird decisions and just making stupid decisions in general. I think the UFC can be better.

Wow good fight between Romero and Brunson. Crazy shit. Both looked impressive. I wonder if Romero could actually compete at the top level? Hard to believe he's a middleweight.

Also epic liver kick KO by Luke Rockhold. I'm telling you guys middleweight is where it's at at this point. Rockhold calling out both Bisping and Belfort was cool too hahah. Bring 'em on!

Cole Miller looked great, and Brad Tavares is only getting better and better. He's a wily cat, always comes to fight.

Looks like they're gonna do Hendo/Shogun 2 now...honestly, mixed feelings. Their fight is easily one of the best of all time, but going at it a second time, I don't know...there's no point to it in a way. Why do a sequel except for more money really. It's like any fight now will probably disappoint compared to the first, likely with one or the other getting (T)KOed now for sure, as time hasn't been kind to either fighter. Hendo dropped 2 really close fights and (annoyingly) got flattened by Steroid-Belfort, and Rua dropped 2 straight also before delivering a KO of his last opponent.

Hendo/Shogun cannot possibly live up to the first fight.

Wow good fight between Romero and Brunson. Crazy shit. Both looked impressive. I wonder if Romero could actually compete at the top level? Hard to believe he's a middleweight.

Also epic liver kick KO by Luke Rockhold. I'm telling you guys middleweight is where it's at at this point. Rockhold calling out both Bisping and Belfort was cool too hahah. Bring 'em on!
I doubt Romero can cut any more, he wrestled at 187 and generally you don't see wrestlers get much smaller, he could have that Dan Henderson type muscle density that makes him heavier than his size would suggest.

Middleweight is pretty much exactly like it was 3 years ago again: 1 clear cut champion, 1 interesting challenger who can't take the needle out of his arse, and a bunch of fun fights between the also rans.

I know I'm the oddball probably, but I just don't see Weidman holding the MW title for that long, I think there are far better fighters on the roster as a whole and while he beat Silva, they just seem fluky in a way if you consider one was due to arrogance and the 2nd due to freak injury. And I hate saying that as i never liked Silva much in the first place lol.

I'd like to see more of Weidman fighting, as he was only what, 9-0 or something going into his first fight with Silva with his matches coming against largely no names. If anything, I see the belt swapping waists quite a bit over the next few years, I doubt there's going to be another massive reign.

^You never know bro. Weidman's good. Really good. I didn't think Silva would be champ for so long after the Travis Lutter fight. I don't really know what to say about the Weidman/Silva fights. Obviously my guy lost. If anything it's made me go back to beating my shins with my bamboo stick every day. So there's that lol. Really I'm sad to see both Silva (probably) and GSP retire. Apparently one of the main reasons GSP retired is because the UFC wasn't willing to work with him on stricter drug testing policy. Also because Dana is a douche.

I lost some respect for Silva in the Maia fight, where he taunted Maia, called him mama's boy, and cussed at him for 5 rounds. Never really read into why I really don't care for motives. Just hate asshole behavior. Silva was extremely disrespectful, and Maia just sucked for not bringing anything for Silva. Still after everything I love watching Silva fight. And so does everyone else.

I didn't think Cain would murder JDS not once but twice the way he did lol. People improve. Weidman will probably only get better. And he needs to with hungy Vitor, Jacare, Machida, Mousasi, and others wanting what's currently his.

I agree Hendo/Shogun 2 cannot possibly live up to expectations. And again I'll pick Shogun, even though this fight really has no relevance to the title picture, or the rankings. Honestly the first fight decision was a scam. Should have been a tie. Shogun spent rounds 4 and 5 sitting on top of Henderson in the mount after making a massive comeback. Henderson was carried out of the ring. How was neither round 4 or 5 a 10-8 for Shogun? And people want to argue that the round where Henderson hurt Shogun should have been a 10-8 whereas Hendo just laid there and took a beating in the last 2 rounds.

Also trax I was surprised that Romero was a middleweight and not a higher weight class. I like the way he fights though. Seemingly way too relaxed but he really pushes on in later rounds and I bet you that comes from from all his wrestling experience. Champions know to pace and when to do stuff and not just panic and attack desperately. He was loosing that fight and made an impressive comeback. I thought 12 to 6 elbows were illegal thought? Not sure how that was allowed.

I know I'm the oddball probably, but I just don't see Weidman holding the MW title for that long, I think there are far better fighters on the roster as a whole and while he beat Silva, they just seem fluky in a way if you consider one was due to arrogance and the 2nd due to freak injury. And I hate saying that as i never liked Silva much in the first place lol.
He was dominating Silva in both fights before the finish, so I don't think you can put it down to flukes -- first fight was Anderson doing his usual thing and Weidman was the first guy good enough to make him pay for it, second fight especially Silva was just getting mauled everywhere, in the clinch, on the mat, even striking. If you were going to raise a question mark, I think it would be over Silvas age, I think he was 37 going into the first fight and so far as I'm aware no fighter who is primarily a striker has stayed at the top beyond that age in MMA (Chuck started declining at 37 too now I think about it).

Also trax I was surprised that Romero was a middleweight and not a higher weight class. I like the way he fights though. Seemingly way too relaxed but he really pushes on in later rounds and I bet you that comes from from all his wrestling experience. Champions know to pace and when to do stuff and not just panic and attack desperately. He was loosing that fight and made an impressive comeback. I thought 12 to 6 elbows were illegal thought? Not sure how that was allowed.
He actually fought at LHW for a bit, but when he fought Feijao the size gap seemed fairly apparent so I guess that's why he dropped down. Those elbows were 12-6 but Brunson was done when they started landing anyway imo.

Last edited:

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Josh Thompson looked solid as fuck even if he "lost". I was actually surprised by his Jiu-Jitsu more than anything else. It's good to see fighters using their Jitz with more frequency and with solid technique now in days. Cerrone just has that good kickboxing. He has it down good enough to land headkicks with ease.

Next card should be good. Rooting for Barao and the Mexican-American Lamas, though Aldo is respectable. Another Brown Pride holding a belt wouldn't be bad though!

So...with a Thompson loss, how are they going to solve the muddied contender now for LW? Do they do a Pettis/Bendo rubber match now, which is already 2-0 in Pettis' favor? Or do they grab another strong LW like Melendez, who arguably should've beaten Bendo in their fight and just came off a great one with Sanchez? Doubtful Thompson will still get it, as outside of Diaz (since GSP requested him specifically, and for money), I don't think anyone's been given a shot still after just losing their bout.

Next LW title shot presumably goes to TJ Grant. Doubt Melendez or Diaz will get it seeing as they were both meant to fight Nurmagomedov and either pulled out or didn't accept. Bendo is another option but I suspect the UFC doesn't really want a third Bendo/Pettis match yet.

Next LW title shot presumably goes to TJ Grant. Doubt Melendez or Diaz will get it seeing as they were both meant to fight Nurmagomedov and either pulled out or didn't accept. Bendo is another option but I suspect the UFC doesn't really want a third Bendo/Pettis match yet.
Geez how did I forget poor Grant, that's who was originally the challenger before Pettis stepped in when he got injured. He should get his due finally.

So apparently Silva and Sonnen actually brawled for a bit on TUF Brazil. Hoping they show some of it here, otherwise gonna have to find it somewhere on YouTube in the future.

Two words: publicity stunt. TUF ratings have been lagging for ages, can pretty much guarantee this is to get people to buy fight pass.

Barao is just a cut above the rest of the division, only interesting fights are Cruz when he recovers or a Wineland rematch.. or someone convincing Joe B to go back up to 135.

Barao and Aldo are animals. And Aldo is the king of the jungle.

Overeem owned Mir pretty easily, too. Let's see him take on JDS. He could give Velasquez a good fight if he could string together a couple of wins. I think JDS would KO him though.

Aldo vs Pettis needs to happen, too. Aldo idolizes Penn and Couture for being champs in different divisions, and hopefully he will move up and whoop Pettis. Dana White doesn't want the fight to happen. I guarantee it. Pettis is exciting for the UFC at LW and the last time Aldo headlined a card he drew something like 180K views.

I guess the California Kid will never become a UFC champion and will have to settle for being a great WEC champion instead...seriously, he's burned through how many tries in 2-3 divisions now? Guess he's just too old at this point.

Hey guys, new here. I'd like to join this outstanding thread! I'm an amateur MMA lightweight fighter (plan on debuting in pro later this year, or maybe next year lol) though I mostly compete regularly in grappling. Getting pretty addicted to this pokemon competitive battling too (i've always enjoyed rpgs and such, I found about this after beating the game for nostalgia purposes, and it is complex and fun as hell). So anyways, that's my introduction (thought this would be the right thread to do it).

About UFC 169, it pretty much showed just how good Aldo and Barao really are. Make no mistake, Faber is better than ever, his destruction of Michael Macdonald was INSANE (a lot of people don't really realize HOW GOOD that kid is)... I've been a fan of Dominick Cruz for a long time now too, specially his stand up game with all his faints and such, but now i'm more sure than ever that Barao is on another level. Aldo had one of the most dificult opponents he's ever faced, a lot of people don't know Ricardo Lamas that much, but, besides the champ and Chad Mendes (who in my opinion should be next in line) hes the top dog in that division.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)