Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Minor changes to Honedge. I mostly just made it less soft and rounded, like seriously that thing is a literal sword. I doubt it's perfect, but I've gone as far as I can go with this.

Ampharos looks great, so very great. I never knew that style of hair could look so draconic.

Minor changes to Honedge. I mostly just made it less soft and rounded, like seriously that thing is a literal sword. I doubt it's perfect, but I've gone as far as I can go with this.
This has irritated me for a while now. princessofmusic pointed out some things quite a while ago that don't appear to have been rectified.
  • The blade is crooked compared to the hilt.
  • The colour of the the ribbon is incorrect.
Personally, I feel a back should be created for this one instead - whilst it's just my opinion, this is the best one we have imo:
honedge.png

Well, time to break the silence with my 800th post. And, if I can like my own posts, this'll be my 100th like as well. Such impeccable timing.

On a whim I wanted to redo Hawlucha, just cause he's grown on me this gen.

I took this guy's artwork (here) (I'm asking permission I haven't heard from him yet though) and used it as a base for a new hawlucha sprite, shading it to match the top down light source the older sprites use. I've just started to animate it, and after realizing the back sprite needs to match I'll do that as well.

As you can see the idle stance it bit different than the in game one (its based off the art), I hope thats not problematic. If its any consolation I'll make him/her flap his wings up after a couple of cycles of an idle animation when I animate him.

Comments, concerns, and criticisms are welcome!

With all that pardon if I'm breaking any rules or steppin on anyone's toes without knowing it.
I think your pose on Hawlucha looks pretty good as it stands, I'm just afraid it might be too big. Aside from that, the outline is a little overly dark in some areas (namely the head and right arm), and I'd recommend making the white-shade a tad darker, as it's hard to distinguish from the highlight currently. Nothing a little QC couldn't handle, imo. It's a great sprite though, aside from those issues. I look forward to seeing more of your work. +)

The Skiddo and Gogoat sprites currently on the chart aren't direct palette swaps, but these should be. The Gogoat on the right is a QC of Siiilver's Gogoat.
There are a couple things that bug me about the current versions of these two sprites. In Skiddo's case, its eyes seem to be facing the camera in the front sprite, or are just incomplete in the backsprite. It's horn also needs to be separated, as it does have two separate horns instead of just one. In the backsprite, its legs also look awkward because they all appear to be angled parallel to each other. I think I might try doing a quick QC on this one to see if I can fix it up later tonight, as there are multiple small things that are bothering me that I feel I could fix relatively fast.
My primary issue with Gogoat is that its pose makes it look like it's looking down on its opponent. It might just be the eyeliner, but idk, I need to look at how it looks ingame. Maybe we could lower the head a bit? Aside from that, I feel the horns could be angled better/be made thicker, and the feet look a tad weird because we you can see the back-spurs from the front.

Anyway, between school starting up again, having to take school pictures, watching Pulp Fiction, watching the second Hobbit movie, and joining the Pathfinder Society (All of which are reasons for my inactivity, although it doesn't excuse radio silence for four days, sorry about that long break), I finally managed to make a thing. And here he is now!

Dragalge

Made the backsprite for Toxic Seahorse finally. It took me around 4 hours to hammer out lineart for this guy. Normally it takes me two at max. Like wow. Also made a few minor edits to the front, so yeah. I probably need to color correct this soon, as I think something about my *hiking it back and forth between laptops* method seems to make the colors more pastel than they should be. Aside from that, comments and criticisms are appreciated as always. +)

Anyway, hopefully this hour-long post makes up for my inactivity. Also, Layell, Mega Scizor's showdown sprites could probably be updated with these two by now. I think LU said he had plans to edit them some more, but these are still good placeholders for the time being.

Sláinte!

EDIT: Dangit, I can't like my own posts. Ok then, not posting again until I like someone's post, as I need the image for posterity's sake lol.

Dragalge

Made the backsprite for Toxic Seahorse finally. It took me around 4 hours to hammer out lineart for this guy. Normally it takes me two at max. Like wow. Also made a few minor edits to the front, so yeah. I probably need to color correct this soon, as I think something about my *hiking it back and forth between laptops* method seems to make the colors more pastel than they should be. Aside from that, comments and criticisms are appreciated as always. +)

Anyway, hopefully this hour-long post makes up for my inactivity. Also, Layell, Mega Scizor's showdown sprites could probably be updated with these two by now. I think LU said he had plans to edit them some more, but these are still good placeholders for the time being.
I think the head in the front sprite seems a tiny bit to flat. Probably just me, but one or two pixels of shade might change something.
Oh, and you may now like my post.

Legitimate Username

is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

200th post, proudly dedicated to a revamp of my original contribution to the project. Mega Mawile, everyone.

I considered changing the pose to match in-game, with either the mouths being closed or the jaws being at the same height. However, it can be much more expressive in the official artwork pose, with the body and both jaws being fully visible. In-game this problem doesn't exist, as Mawile is 3D and can be viewed from any angle, but in 2D, I don't want parts of it to be overly obstructed. Likewise, while I think closed jaws would look cool, it would make the teeth much more difficult to animate due to the weird ways in which they overlap. So I kept the pose the same as before.

I spent a lot of time studying the shiny version in order to get it right. The pink is supposed to be the same colour as Mega Mawile's legs, and NOT the same colour as regular shiny Mawile's hair. Likewise, the colour of the mouth and eyes stay the same as in the normal version, rather than changing alongside the hair and legs. In order to account for this in the animation, I changed the pink in the mouth and eye to cyan, and the gray in the eye to dark blue. That way, the animated version can be recoloured to make both the regular and the shiny versions without any trouble.

While lot of changes were certainly necessary here, one of the other reasons I wanted to redo this was so that I could use Mega Mawile as the example in a future animation tutorial. Besides my thoroughly biased opinion as to what sprite I would use for such endeavours, I think that this would be ideal since I can easily copy the motions of the old animation files onto the new sprite, meaning that I don't need to work as hard on actual animation and making it look good, and can instead put some of the focus on collecting example screenshots. Don't expect that to happen for a long time though.

Last edited:
Some minor QC edits to Mega Aerodactyl:

Made the spikes bigger (especially the chin)
Changed the inner jaw and nose shape slightly
Changed the tail because it looked kind of conical and it doesn't seem to be that way(as far as I can tell)

Legitimate Username

TeraVolt

Alright, here's some comments on Mega Aerodactyl, listed from bad to good:

Ok people seriously need to stop changing the nose, it's literally just the tiniest bit pointier than regular Aerodactyl's and it's being seriously overdone. My original version doesn't include that because it was before the difference was clear, but seriously don't overdo it. vaderdarkside's version was hideous enough, I have no idea why it's on PS despite only receiving negative feedback (I'm not even exaggerating for the sake of emphasis here like I often do, I just checked it on PS today and I am EXTRAORDINARILY appalled). This version's nose is more passable (except the backsprite), but I still wouldn't call it an improvement.

Your change to the tip of the tail made it incorrect when it was correct before, look at the official artwork.

The black claws on Aerodactyl's feet are now visible on the frontsprite, but they should actually be obstructed by the legs like in the previous version. Look at the BW Aerodactyl sprite and you'll see that they should only be visible from the back, because the frontsprite isn't sideways enough to make them visible.

The tail spikes on the frontsprite are placed more accurately than before, but you didn't change it on the backsprite. Come on.

I REALLY like the extra details added to the spikes, it really looks much cooler now. The chin spike is also facing the right direction and the sizes of the wing spikes are more accurate now, well done on that.

EDIT: Finished fixing it. Oh god the overlap between the tail's spikes and the left wing's spikes looks awful, but I guess there's no real way around it.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Some minor QC edits to Mega Aerodactyl:

Made the spikes bigger (especially the chin)
Changed the inner jaw and nose shape slightly
Changed the tail because it looked kind of conical and it doesn't seem to be that way(as far as I can tell)
IMO, I think mega areo should have a band new sprite made from scratch instead of it using regular areo's gen 5 sprite. I kind of think it would look better if it used its gen 3 pose.

I just dont think that pose is working for it but maybe its just me.

Any pokemon with sprites that you think are poorly made or just not good enough atm ?
I'd be happy to help :)

(I won't do Mega-Aero tho, that looks like it's beyond my league)
I'm glad you're willing to help. I suggest going through the spreadsheet in page 1 and finding a sprite that you think you can improve or redo. Keep in mind that we won't necessarily take your sprite unless it's clearly higher in quality than the existing sprite. Also you should make a back sprite.

ugh speaking of back sprites im still struggling with megazard Y :(

Hey, I made a shiny sprite for Chesnaught, both front and back.
I will make the other starter shinies right now, but I'll post this here first:

I'm new, but I hope you like it.

EDIT 1: Greninja and Delphox finished.

EDIT 2: Finished Quilladin, Braixen and Frogadier.

I hope this helps you. :toast:

Last edited:
IMO, I think mega areo should have a band new sprite made from scratch instead of it using regular areo's gen 5 sprite. I kind of think it would look better if it used its gen 3 pose.

I just dont think that pose is working for it but maybe its just me.
I made one a long time ago using the gen 4 sprite, if that would help.

Hey, I made a shiny sprite for Chesnaught, both front and back.
I will make the other starter shinies right now, but I'll post this here first:

I'm new, but I hope you like it.
Just pointing out, I have a.ready made shinies for the Froakie line.

I made one a long time ago using the gen 4 sprite, if that would help.

Just pointing out, I have a.ready made shinies for the Froakie line.
Oh, okay. I noticed your message too late, but I did not make Froakie itself yet.
I'll just make chespin and fennekin now.

**Shiny Pokemon**

I made Chespin and Fennekin, but not Froakie, because it was already made.

They look happy!

EDIT 1: I made sliggoo and goodra, but goomy already exists in showdown as a shiny.

Aren't they cute?!
EDIT 2: Klefki, Mega Gengar, Mega Tyranitar and Charizard Mega X!

EDIT 3: Mega Aerodactyl!

Last edited:
Dragalge

Dragalge looks great, although the angle of the back sprite bothers me, as it faces too far to the side. Nevertheless, that's my only concern aside from the colours, so I'm glad to see Dragalge done.

Since you always link music in your sprite updates, for Dragalge, I would've picked the underwater Maridia theme from Super Metroid.

Honedge

Doublade

Aegislash

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yo Legitimate Username

If you got to animate twice I fell bad for you son.

I got 99 palette swaps and this Mawile is one.

Yeah I set the eyes and mouth to its own colours, and down to two. I don't think the sprite looks any worse for wear. Let me know what you think.

Also there was some extra greys in the fronts mouth for some reason I took care of that.

ALSO apparently I edited old back, but you see the mouth colours + eyes right that is the important thing.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I chatted with UU leader koko on three mons that have a good UU shelf life for lovely animations. He recommended Diggersby, Florges, and Zygarde. That last one is not ready for animation so it's one I'll be working on to get ready.

Any takers?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I chatted with UU leader koko on three mons that have a good UU shelf life for lovely animations. He recommended Diggersby, Florges, and Zygarde. That last one is not ready for animation so it's one I'll be working on to get ready.

Any takers?
Sure I can do diggersby. Dont think it will be difficult to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)