New Years Resolutions

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I know there's a thread in Firebot, but there is a serious discussion to be had.

Did you have any plans for last year? How did those go? Did you achieve your goals? What did you do to achieve them?

Do you have any plans for this new year? What are they? Why? How will you go about achieving them? What steps are you taking right now to assure you'll meet your goal? How would you rate your chances of achieving your goal? How soon do you think you'll achieve it?

At the very end of 2012 I bought a starter raft and tried floating with my daughter. She loved it so much that I quickly made plans to float the entire Meramec River, from the huge spring where it starts all 229 miles to where it dumps into the Mississippi River. Using googlemaps and online guides, I broke the entire river into 1, or 2, or 3 day float trips. Every warm weekend, starting in February 2013 , we tackled 1 section at a time. In early November we floated the final section. We'd done it! I am incredibly proud of my 6 year old daughter (5 when we started!) for roughing it with Dad the whole time. Sleeping outdoors, hiking and setting up and taking down camp. I'll never forget those trips for the rest of my life.

This year I'm planning to float 3 smaller, clearer, prettier, more remote rivers with my daughter. All rivers start out so beautiful and clear, but after so many miles any river gets full of sediment and the landscape gets flat and urbanized and just boring. So this year we're going to focus on 3 smaller rivers in our state (Missouri) that are all entirely national parks and protected conservation land. We'll float the Jack's Fork River, the Current River, and the 11 Point River.

Also, instead of breaking it up and spreading it out over the whole year, I think we'll do it in 3 trips. Two 45 mile floats and an 80-100 mile float. We both love to be outdoors, camping and floating and fishing and swimming and just exploring every cave and spring and beach. But floating one huge river was just too much.

What I'll do to prepare is to get on googlemaps again and check any guides and blogs from people who have been there to figure out where the best put in, camping, and take out spots will be. I'll then have to figure out what time of year I'll be shooting for for each trip. The Current River has enough springs to be floated any time of the year, but the 11 Point and Jack's Fork are smaller and I'll probably have to do both of them early in the spring as soon as it warms up. Thankfully, they're both merely 3 day trips so any weekend that I can get a Friday and Monday off will do. As for gear, I should have all of that ready. I bought a new canoe, a very nice one that's very stable. I've got the seats set up in it and have made sure all my camping gear will fit. So preparation wise, all I've got to do is luck into a good weekend (weather wise) to get 2 vacation days off, and map out each put in and take out point. I'll also take the time to memorize every bend and obstacle right before we leave.

There's a 100% chance that we'll achieve these goals this year. I have no doubt. We tackled a much larger river last year with worse gear. The only challenge will be the length of the trips. We've only been on one 3 day float before and we've got two 3 day floats and probably a 5 or 6 day float planned for this year. My daughter did fine on every single float last year, so I'm sure she'll do fine on these too.

So that's my goal, to float the Jack's Fork, 11 Point, and Current River (at least the protected conservation areas) by the end of the year. What about you?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I really want to learn the piano this year. This was actually my New Year's resolution last year, but it wasn't accomplished due to laziness, so I'm definitely going to shoot for doing it this year. I'm gonna try to learn more about music and performing in general, since I sort of forgot everything after I dropped out of Marching Band and haven't performed for anyone in years, which kinda sucks because I do still really love music. I already play the saxophone and I'm gonna try to practice more in general and I'll see if I can get my hands on a Harmonica and learn that too since that seems really cool. (I just have no idea what kind to buy lol)

I also am gonna aim to learn Vietnamese this year...I am Vietnamese and part of a Vietnamese community in real life but I can barely speak the language (apparently I insisted my parents speak English when I was a child so I never learned? idk lol). It makes me feel kind of left out sometimes :P

And finally, this is likely not going to happen but I really want to start a band! The problem is that I just that...I...don't know anybody, lol! If anybody reading this is in the Orlando area and is a jazz/swing/big band/whatever musician or interested in playing video game/anime/film soundtracks CALL ME. I already have a band name: The Cheetahmen (girls are welcome though)

Hope everyone has a great 2014!

This year I'm going to practice more drawing, to improve my digital art skills. Been too lazy last year, so I need to make up for it. My aim was to make some realistic pokemon arts, just like Arvalis'.

I'm also planning to continue my Piano Lessons. I stopped learning when I'm 12, now that I'm 21 and not so busy besides making art commissions, I think I have more time learning to play the piano once again. My family is musically inclined and I'm the only one who doesn't play the piano well, though I can sing.

So that's about it!! Happy New Year everyone!!

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think new years resolutions are dumb. Not in terms of bettering yourself and learning a new skill, but in terms of the timing. If you want to learn something or do something (such as join a gym for example), don't fucking wait till new years to do it. It's an arbitrary point in time. Do it now. Like as soon as you decide you want to do something, whether that happens to fall on new years or the middle of July. I've never ever had a new years resolution for that reason.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think new years resolutions are dumb. Not in terms of bettering yourself and learning a new skill, but in terms of the timing. If you want to learn something or do something (such as join a gym for example), don't fucking wait till new years to do it. It's an arbitrary point in time. Do it now. Like as soon as you decide you want to do something, whether that happens to fall on new years or the middle of July. I've never ever had a new years resolution for that reason.
I just think it's fun to use it as an excuse to say I'll do something and then not do it at all.

Hi Stallion :-) ! I absolutely agree with you : you don't have to wait until the start of a new year to learn or do something, in terms of timing, of course. If you're really motivated to change your life around, you can do it anytime. It's a principle of willpower. Indeed, when your life needs to change asap, you need to change it asap. I know it sounds really obvious but it is true. It looks easy on paper but, to realise that change, you'll have to find inner-strengh. If that change is really important / urgent, your mind will think it's important / urgent. Eventually, you'll materialize your hopes (such as taking better care of your health, etc.) !

But, some people wait until the start of a new year to start fresh. Those people are also right. You have to put things in perspective. Even though many people don't realise what they had planned, there are still people that do. The people that don't are essentially lazy people. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them, I made the same mistake they did a few years ago. They don't think further, in the future ; they write on paper what they should do and that's all. I can't say it's a bad method, because I'm in NO WAY perfect, but I think I have developed my own technique to do it. First, you'll have to make a list of what you have right now (Do you have willpower ? Are you broke ? Are you rich ? Have you got a job ? Are you happy ? and the list goes on) in one column and what you need / want (learning a new skill, finding a boyfriend / girlfriend, loosing weight, etc.) in an other one. Compared to your current situation, you can make big or little changes. For example, when you're broke and can't go to the gym, you have to plan yourself your training. But, there is one thing that doesn't change no matter what is your current situation ; and that is how you're going to intend to succeed. You have to make baby steps in what you're planning to do. For instance, let's say you're a woman in her early 30's and you want to find a boyfriend. You can't just walk out there thinking a boy is going to pop out of nowhere. Of course, love at first sight exists (-somewhere-), but you can't plan something based on the odd chance that it might happen. Take it slow... Make a list. Write on it little things you could do every day, or every other day, that will lead you to your goal. It has worked for me, so I hope it will for others.

Now, I could write you a whole essay about that subject, but it's not necessary. I think you got the point. I'm one of those people who need to start fresh. Moreover, I have friends like you, who do what they want to do anytime ; they don't think you gotta wait until the start of a new year. Nevertheless, there are other people who don't work like that. They need to find strengh, and that strengh comes from the start of a new year (-at least, for me-).

Last edited:
This year I would like to engage in athletics, performing well, and try to study more, have more fun and become a good player :D

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hi Stallion :-) ! I absolutely agree with you : you don't have to wait until the start of a new year to learn or do something, in terms of timing, of course. If you're really motivated to change your life around, you can do it anytime. It's a principle of willpower. Indeed, when your life needs to change asap, you need to change it asap. I know it sounds really obvious but it is true. It looks easy on paper but, to realise that change, you'll have to find inner-strengh. If that change is really important / urgent, your mind will think it's important / urgent. Eventually, you'll materialize your hopes (such as taking better care of your health, etc.) !

But, some people wait until the start of a new year to start fresh. Those people are also right. You have to put things in perspective. Even though many people don't realise what they had planned, there are still people that do. The people that don't are essentially lazy people. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them, I made the same mistake they did a few years ago. They don't think further, in the future ; they write on paper what they should do and that's all. I can't say it's a bad method, because I'm in NO WAY perfect, but I think I have developed my own technique to do it. First, you'll have to make a list of what you have right now (Do you have willpower ? Are you broke ? Are you rich ? Have you got a job ? Are you happy ? and the list goes on) in one column and what you need / want (learning a new skill, finding a boyfriend / girlfriend, loosing weight, etc.) in an other one. Compared to your current situation, you can make big or little changes. For example, when you're broke and can't go to the gym, you have to plan yourself your training. But, there is one thing that doesn't change no matter what is your current situation ; and that is how you're going to intend to succeed. You have to make baby steps in what you're planning to do. For instance, let's say you're a woman in her early 30's and you want to find a boyfriend. You can't just walk out there thinking a boy is going to pop out of nowhere. Of course, love at first sight exists (-somewhere-), but you can't plan something based on the odd chance that it might happen. Take it slow... Make a list. Write on it little things you could do every day, or every other day, that will lead you to your goal. It has worked for me, so I hope it will for others.

Now, I could write you a whole essay about that subject, but it's not necessary. I think you got the point. I'm one of those people who need to start fresh. Moreover, I have friends like you, who do what they want to do anytime ; they don't think you gotta wait until the start of a new year. Nevertheless, there are other people who don't work like that. They need to find strengh, and that strengh comes from the start of a new year (-at least, for me-).
Very well put mini essay, what you said definitely makes sense!

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Erm... I don't have any.
I never accomplished any, so I'm not going to make any :p
If I ever want to start anything, I just start it regardless to what time of the year it is.

I really want to learn the piano this year. This was actually my New Year's resolution last year, but it wasn't accomplished due to laziness, so I'm definitely going to shoot for doing it this year. I'm gonna try to learn more about music and performing in general, since I sort of forgot everything after I dropped out of Marching Band and haven't performed for anyone in years, which kinda sucks because I do still really love music. I already play the saxophone and I'm gonna try to practice more in general and I'll see if I can get my hands on a Harmonica and learn that too since that seems really cool. (I just have no idea what kind to buy lol)

I also am gonna aim to learn Vietnamese this year...I am Vietnamese and part of a Vietnamese community in real life but I can barely speak the language (apparently I insisted my parents speak English when I was a child so I never learned? idk lol). It makes me feel kind of left out sometimes :P

And finally, this is likely not going to happen but I really want to start a band! The problem is that I just that...I...don't know anybody, lol! If anybody reading this is in the Orlando area and is a jazz/swing/big band/whatever musician or interested in playing video game/anime/film soundtracks CALL ME. I already have a band name: The Cheetahmen (girls are welcome though)

Hope everyone has a great 2014!
Whoa, just being nosy and to annoy you -- is your surname Nguyen? xD

I always wanted to learn some Polish because I'm part Polish. (a small part though)
But there aren't any resources here in Hong Kong for Polish, so I never did learn any.
I assume that distant relative spoke Cantonese back then.

Last year's resolution was to quit smoking because I wanted to be healthier. I managed to quit cold turkey but ended up gaining 20 pounds. So this year my resolution is to work off everything I've gained.

Definitely agree that New Year's Resolutions should be begun the second the idea comes to mind rather than a certain day because I've definitely never woke up the next day suddenly feeling more inspired than before. Baby steps are always crucial too- I basically feel that eating one or two less donuts a day for example is something you 100% do whether you can fully follow through with eating healthy or not. If you can sustain change every single day it will add up no matter how small it is.

My New Year's goal came the day after, I remembered like everyone here my sleep schedule needs work- my combined sleep wake time is about 25 hours which is for clear reasons unsustainable. Ideally I will wake up at 6:25 AM every single day on an exact 24 hour plan, which I will do by waking up at 6:25 every single day. I plan to make this reasonable by giving myself two cheat days a week at first where I rest as I want to and only requiring myself to stay up 2-4 hours after waking up if I've simply asked too much of my body. These two cheat days will be permanently necessary because I will have to wake up before 5 for work sometimes and that's just not happening everyday. I feel that if I can keep slowly integrating this exact time into my body for a few weeks to months I am entitled to progress and will be able to move to part 2 of my project.

When I can naturally wake up at that time basically every day I will start focusing more heavily on sending the message to my body to sleep at a certain time around 9 PM probably. I really have no clue what my body's sleep demands are. It's literally somewhere between 7-12 hours per night (probably biased on whatever 25 hour schedule my body thinks the world runs) which is why I feel I have to wake up at the same exact time every day first to teach myself again that I am supposed to use 24.

Inspiration to follow through with this is provided by want to maximize quality daytime with friends, reach my physical peaks, and not become dead during 7:30 AM chemistry.

This year, I plan to lose the weight I gained during the holidays (freaking Thanksgiving man). I decided to try going on a no starch / sugar diet this time since everything I've tried in the past did not go well. After a week of doing this, I've never felt better! I have more energy, am more alert, and I lost 2 pounds. Also, sugar-free gum is a lifesaver on this diet. Hahaha!

I also plan to be more involved on Smogon, since I wasn't too much at all last year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)