Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
confusion also can just switch out and remove and aura sphere/aerial ace are not very commonly attacks, any better explanation ?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I might go to a local pokemon tournament that's happening in a few weeks near my place, and to be honest I don't know their rules yet, but I assume they'll follow Nintendo's official rules, this means mega khan, megengar, blaziken etc are unbanned.

I'm brainstorming team ideas, and I don't know if I should use a VoltTurn team (Scizor/Rotom-W/Talonflame) to abuse MeGengar's ability to the max or if I should use mega khan and destroy everything. Opinions?

Also, how can said Pokemon be countered? Since I'm predicting LOTS of Blazikens are going to be in the tournament, I might use a Pokemon weak to fighting and have him carry Protect so I can hurt Blaziken with his own HJK. And for Mega Khan I was thinking of using Cofagrigus maybe or Sableye. Is the former available pre-bank?

This might not be the right place lol, but it's still harmless to ask.

Last edited:
I might go to a local pokemon tournament that's happening in a few weeks near my place, and to be honest I don't know their rules yet, but I assume they'll follow Nintendo's official rules, this means mega khan, megengar, blaziken etc are unbanned.

I'm brainstorming team ideas, and I don't know if I should use a VoltTurn team (Scizor/Rotom-W/Talonflame) to abuse MeGengar's ability to the max or if I should use mega khan and destroy everything. Opinions?

Also, how can said Pokemon be countered? Since I'm predicting LOTS of Blazikens I might use a Pokemon weak to fighting and have him carry Protect so I can hurt Blaziken with his own HJK. And for Mega Khan I was thinking of using Cofagrigus maybe or Sableye. Is the former available pre-bank?

Blaziken is checked by Azumarill and Talonflame. Since I assume most people will be too lazy to RNG a good one in Gen 5, teach it Thunderpunch, and transfer it over, one might even say they are safe counters. For Mega Kangaskhan, Sableye is the only one available without Bank, but there are ways around it, like Klefki, and Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn.

If you are allowed to, use Mega Gengar, alongside some sweeper. Tailor your moves to support that sweeper. For instance, Energy Ball is used on it to get rid of Rotom-W for an allied DD Gyarados. You should be able to win a lot of games.

If you can get your hands on a Misdreavus with Perish Song, even better. Breed it onto your Gengar. Use it.

Bump. Does anyone have any idea? I'm new to the forums, so I don't know where a Round thread would go.
Nowhere. Ask in the research forums.

My guess is that Round is a group attack, much like the elemental Pledge moves, so the first user, upon using it, will activate a special subroutine within the game code, merging the turn orders of its teammate with itself, so that the tandem Round counts as a single attack.

Nowhere. Ask in the research forums.

My guess is that Round is a group attack, much like the elemental Pledge moves, so the first user, upon using it, will activate a special subroutine within the game code, merging the turn orders of its teammate with itself, so that the tandem Round counts as a single attack.
My experience is that the fastest user uses Round, and then the second-fastest user uses Round, and then the slowest user might use Round. Sometimes, it gets to ride along on the same speed as the first Pokemon. Other times, it still uses its own Speed, and doesn't get to attack until any opponents faster than it. I haven't been able to find a pattern.
I'll go ask in Research, then.

EDIT: Nope, sticky thread in Research says that it is absolutely not for discussion. To "Competitive Discussion" it is.

My experience is that the fastest user uses Round, and then the second-fastest user uses Round, and then the slowest user might use Round. Sometimes, it gets to ride along on the same speed as the first Pokemon. Other times, it still uses its own Speed, and doesn't get to attack until any opponents faster than it. I haven't been able to find a pattern.
I'll go ask in Research, then.

EDIT: Nope, sticky thread in Research says that it is absolutely not for discussion. To "Competitive Discussion" it is.
You're not trying to start a non-research discussion, you're trying to discern (encourage people to research, if you will) the mechanics of a move. That is 100% the domain of the Research section. This is the thread where you should post your question: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-mechanics-research.3489239/

If Banette uses Will-o-Wisp on the turn it mega evolves, does will-o-wisp get +1 priority from Prankster on that turn or does the turn resolve using normal speed?

Also, how can said Pokemon be countered? Since I'm predicting LOTS of Blazikens are going to be in the tournament, I might use a Pokemon weak to fighting and have him carry Protect so I can hurt Blaziken with his own HJK. And for Mega Khan I was thinking of using Cofagrigus maybe or Sableye. Is the former available pre-bank?

If they are following the "official" rules, then they're playing doubles, because the VGC format is flat level 50 doubles.

Blaziken is much, much less of a problem in doubles; it relies on heavy-hitting single target attacks to destroy teams and it isn't tough enough to survive to "sweep" in doubles. (Is Blaziken even legal under current VGC rules? Am I crazy? I seem to think for some reason that it's not in the Kalos Dex, ergo illegal in VGC)

MegaKhan also is much less of a problem, because Parental Bond doesn't apply to area-hitting moves.

First thing I'd do is find out for sure what ruleset they're using, because that's important information. Doubles is a very different environment from singles.

252+ Atk Hawlucha Flying Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cacturne: 684-808 (198.8 - 234.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Does this take in to account the dual typing that flying press has?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If they are following the "official" rules, then they're playing doubles, because the VGC format is flat level 50 doubles.

Blaziken is much, much less of a problem in doubles; it relies on heavy-hitting single target attacks to destroy teams and it isn't tough enough to survive to "sweep" in doubles. (Is Blaziken even legal under current VGC rules? Am I crazy? I seem to think for some reason that it's not in the Kalos Dex, ergo illegal in VGC)

MegaKhan also is much less of a problem, because Parental Bond doesn't apply to area-hitting moves.

First thing I'd do is find out for sure what ruleset they're using, because that's important information. Doubles is a very different environment from singles.
Pretty sure it's only singles, but what I meant is that they would probably use the same banlist as Nintendo, but yeah, I'll try and see what rules they use.

252+ Atk Hawlucha Flying Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cacturne: 684-808 (198.8 - 234.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Does this take in to account the dual typing that flying press has?
Yeah, it does; the only way it can outdamage Acrobatics is by hitting for 4x weakness.

252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Cacturne: 474-558 (137.7 - 162.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Please help me :(

Should i keep it...
Yveltl Hasty

IVs: 16, 17 / 30, 31 / 30, 31 / 31 / 30, 31 / 30, 31
Stats at Lv.50: 194 / 151 / 103 / 151 / 118 / 130

Please help me :(

Should i keep it...
Yveltl Hasty

IVs: 16, 17 / 30, 31 / 30, 31 / 31 / 30, 31 / 30, 31
Stats at Lv.50: 194 / 151 / 103 / 151 / 118 / 130
Wow I want that thing. You should keep it in my PC box :P.

If it's really 5-IV, then...damn. If not, close enough.

I can't seem to find an answer for this, does anyone know what determines the faint order from Perish Song? Is it just random?
Speed, just like Sandstorm and Hail damage, Toxic and Burn damage, Leftovers recovery, and so on. The faster one dies first.

With Sandstorm damage this is a good way to check your opponent's Speed investment.

Hi, I've just caught a Careful Zygarde and its IVs are: 31 / 31 / 26 / 14 / 31 / 29

Should I keep it or continue soft-resetting?

Last edited:
Hello, I'm trying to build a team around Charizard-Y and so far i've got an excadrill and an azumarill on the list, what else can I get? No legendaries, thanks!

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I've just caught a Careful Zygarde and its IVs are: 31 / 31 / 26 / 14 / 31 / 29

Should I keep it or continue soft-resetting?
Careful isn't the most optimal nature for Zygarde but if you're ok with that, the IVs are good enough to keep.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello, I'm trying to build a team around Charizard-Y and so far i've got an excadrill and an azumarill on the list, what else can I get? No legendaries, thanks!
I've never used Charizard Y, so you might want to this comment w/ a grain of salt.
A mon to abuse the sun CharYzard brings could be useful. Venusaur and other grass types can help you smack the water types that your team currently seems to have trouble with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)