The Bulky Offense Mega-Venusaur Team!

Hey guys!

Before I start the RMT, I would like to point out that I am a returning veteran from Gen IV, who skipped gen V due to the weather wars getting annoying. This is my first RMT in a couple of years and my team could be missing coverage for certain threats which I am not aware of. This is the reason why I made this RMT, obviously! I used this team for over 50 battles on Pokemon Online with a rating of +1300. It's not the best rating out there, but I don't mind. (I use this simulator, because I can play it on my Android device, which is very handy when I travel) Now, let's start with the RMT!

1. Team Building Process
Step 1:
I have been in the tutor program on Smogon before, and I basically learned how to make a team there. I was pointed out that I had to find one ''star'' pokemon, which I can build a team around. I picked Mega Venusaur, because I wanted to make a Bulky Offensive team and Mega Venusaur fits that theme perfectly.

Step 2: Because Venusaur is partly grass-typed, I wanted to make a Fire/Water/Grass core. Rotom-W immediately came to my thought process, because it covers threats like Talonflame and works pretty well with venusaur, synergy wise. To complete the Fire/Water/Grass core, I added Heatran to the party. It can use Stealth Rock and with the amount of resistances it has, it is a valuable asset to my team.

Step 3: Then I wanted some priority in my team. Scizor came into my mind, as it's bulky enough to take a few hits and it learns Defog, which can come in handy. Just to be sure, I also added Azumarill with a Choice Band, otherwise, Dragons would ruin me.

Step 4: Last but not least, I needed something that could take are of Thunder Waves and Electric moves in general, while also stopping Ground moves. Landorus-T and Gliscor were the best options, and I chose the first one, because otherwise my team would be too wall-ish, and I wanted some power.

Step 5: After a lot of battles on Pokemon Online, I came to the conclusion that Scizor was not a good asset to my team. I needed speed and Defog wasn't really needed since I have no Stealth Rock weaknesses, and my team has great momentum with U-Turn and Volt Switch. I didn't want to lose that, so I simply chose to use Genesect with a Choice Scarf.

2. The Team!

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 192 HP /252 Atk / 64 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
~~~ Landorus-T helps with Aegislash and Excadrill. I do have to watch out for the Autotomize set on Aegislash, those run Hidden Power Ice, which instantly kills Landorus-T. I chose Earthquake and Stone Edge as coverage moves, because it's nearly unresisted and these two moves never gave me trouble. At first, I used Rock Slide over Stone Edge, but the difference in power is just too big and I miss out on OHKO's. I hate moves that often miss, but I had no choice. Double Dance set is most of the time a surprise factor and deals with heavy offense pokemon. EV Spread is suggested by Lucas Hobbs and allows Landorus-T to become more bulky than it already is, surviving a move from +1 Jolly Mega Lucario.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Blaze Kick
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
~~~ I never got to use this dude in Gen V, since I skipped that Gen, but now I know why it was banned. Download makes it a formidable sweeper, in both attacking departments. Genesect is known for its amazing revenge killing abilities and because of that, it can deal with numerous threats like Dragon Dancing Dragon-types. Also, because of Blaze Kick, Special Defensively Jirachi and Air Balloon Excadrill are not a threat anymore, since both of them are 2HKO'd by Blaze Kick. BoltBeam is used for coverage and U-Turn for the obvious Volt Switch / U-Turn combo.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Play Rough
~~~ Azumarill is my plain Dragon switch-in. It destroys Mega Charizard X, and any other Dragon-type that does not set-up. This is just the standard Azumarill, with priority to kill set-uppers like Lucario, Volcarona, Talonflame, the list goes on. Azumarill is also my Fighting-type killer. Conkeldurr is one of the threats on this team and Azumarill has to take care of it if Venusaur is down. Max HP and max ATK for being tanky, as Azumarill doesn't need to outspeed anything.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
~~~ Again, a standard set. I chose ChestoResto because I like the reliable recovery, even though it's for one turn. Pain Split is just too situational for me and it's not available for me in-game, which I plan on recreating when the team is done testing. Rotom-Wash is also my status absorber, and I really need one since Thunder Wave is kind of annoying for my team and so is Will-O-Wisp. Rotom-W is a good Talonflame counter, eats other water-types and it's just a very bulky pokemon. No need to explain anything further. I chose for the physical EV spread and nature, because most of pokemon that Rotom-W needs to check are physical based.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fire Blast
~~~ Heatran is my favourite legendary and I want to use it in all my teams, if it fits. It does fit in this team, and with Air Balloon, it checks Excadrill and opposing Landorus-T, which otherwise wrecks the shit out of this move. It's also nice for Heatran that it can switch-in on Ground-type moves. Hidden Power Ice kills Dragons and Landorus-T, which some people don't expect. Stealth Rock is needed for opposing Charizard Y's (big threat). Also, Heatran loves to eat Will-O-Wisps. It's too bad that it can't do anything against opposing Rotom-W's, but that's why Venusaur is in this team. The EV spread is made to be as strong as possible and as fast as possible.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SDef
Bold Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
~~~ The big star! The big wall! The big Sleep Inducer! This pokemon is great. It can eat any move that is not Flying and Psychic-typed. Synthesis gives it a reliable recovery together with Giga Drain. Sludge Bomb is mainly there for Fairy-types like Togekiss and Sylveon, who like to switch-in on Venusaur. I used to run Earthquake, but I only used it for Heatran, Scizor, Tyranitar, Aegislash, etc. They all wall Venusaur and I needed to do something. Sleep Powder, however, renders a pokemon almost useless. I need advice on this, since I don't know which is the better option. The EV spread is made for Earthquake and to take physical hits like a boss. I changed the EV spread from a Defensive Tank to a Mixed Tank.

3. I need your help!
I would to thank anyone in advance that is making time for me to rate my team. Any criticism is appreciated, even the bad ones. I am here to learn and to become a good teambuilder, as I enjoy making teams.

Last edited:
Hey, this team looks pretty generic, but needless to say it's very solid as well. Charizard-Y is a threat to any team really, if you're worried you can use Thunderbolt on Genesect which should do solid damage. Conkeldurr is pretty much a free switch into Mega Venusaur to get off a Sleep Powder, so not really a big deal (you also have Azumarill). Mega Lucario can also be a problem if Genesect gets in Vacuum Wave range as from there it's a clean sweep after a Nasty Plot. For that reason you might want to try out Scarfed Landorus-T, and then run Rock Polish Genesect as your sweeper.

Good luck with the team and have fun!

Hey, this team looks pretty generic, but needless to say it's very solid as well. Charizard-Y is a threat to any team really, if you're worried you can use Thunderbolt on Genesect which should do solid damage. Conkeldurr is pretty much a free switch into Mega Venusaur to get off a Sleep Powder, so not really a big deal (you also have Azumarill). Mega Lucario can also be a problem if Genesect gets in Vacuum Wave range as from there it's a clean sweep after a Nasty Plot. For that reason you might want to try out Scarfed Landorus-T, and then run Rock Polish Genesect as your sweeper.

Good luck with the team and have fun!
Thanks! I have battled some mega lucario's, and they mostly do not get the Nasty Plot up because of the momentum. If I ever get into trouble with mega lucario, I will use your suggestions. I will change Thunderbolt on Genesect and try that out. Thanks for the suggestions!

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
You mention Mega Charizard Y as a threat, but Heatran walls that thing it hell and back. It might just be my luck, but I've never seen a MegaZard Y carry Earthquake. But I agree with giving Genesect Thunderbolt over Bug Buzz because it appreciates the coverage.
As for Conkeldurr, although you don't have a specific counter for it, your team can easily work around it. What I mean by that is that Landorus has Intimidate, which Conkeldurr hates, and believe it or not, Azumarill outspeeds Conkeldurr. Because of this, Azumarill can simply use Play Rough and OHKO the most common Conkeldurr before it even has the chance to use Knock Off.
Here's the calc: 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 560-660 (135.2 - 159.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Of course, Conkeldurr can theoretically run some Speed EVs, but that's pretty gimmicky, and even if it does manage to Knock Off Azumarill's Band, Azumarill still has a decent chance to OHKO.
Here's the calc for that: 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 372-440 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Azumarill also has the pleasure of not being completely crippled when it loses its item, so I'd say that you have a very good team on your hands.

Unfortunately, and I don't want to sound like a negative nancy, the only big problem I see in the team is that Genesect has a very good chance of being banned if you listen to the chat on PS. But with a team built this well, I have complete confidence that you're prepared for that.

Source for Calcs: http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

You mention Mega Charizard Y as a threat, but Heatran walls that thing it hell and back. It might just be my luck, but I've never seen a MegaZard Y carry Earthquake. But I agree with giving Genesect Thunderbolt over Bug Buzz because it appreciates the coverage.
As for Conkeldurr, although you don't have a specific counter for it, your team can easily work around it. What I mean by that is that Landorus has Intimidate, which Conkeldurr hates, and believe it or not, Azumarill outspeeds Conkeldurr. Because of this, Azumarill can simply use Play Rough and OHKO the most common Conkeldurr before it even has the chance to use Knock Off.
Here's the calc: 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 560-660 (135.2 - 159.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Of course, Conkeldurr can theoretically run some Speed EVs, but that's pretty gimmicky, and even if it does manage to Knock Off Azumarill's Band, Azumarill still has a decent chance to OHKO.
Here's the calc for that: 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 372-440 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Azumarill also has the pleasure of not being completely crippled when it loses its item, so I'd say that you have a very good team on your hands.

Unfortunately, and I don't want to sound like a negative nancy, the only big problem I see in the team is that Genesect has a very good chance of being banned if you listen to the chat on PS. But with a team built this well, I have complete confidence that you're prepared for that.

First and foremost, I want to thank you for your post! I appreciate the time and effort you put into Rating my Team. As for Genesect's possible ban, I was not aware of that. I am going to test out an alternative if it comes down to Genesect being banned. I guess you could say that I have a trauma with Charizard Y. I have battled a mixed Charizard Y before and it ran Earthquake, which destroyed Heatran. Evertime I see a Charizard Y, I immediately start to think that is has Earthquake. I think Conkeldurr isn't such a threat afterall. I can see how to deal with it now.

Also, do you think that I need a resistance to Rock? I am missing that as of right now, and with Terrakion, that's going to be a little bit of a nuisance.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
First and foremost, I want to thank you for your post! I appreciate the time and effort you put into Rating my Team. As for Genesect's possible ban, I was not aware of that. I am going to test out an alternative if it comes down to Genesect being banned. I guess you could say that I have a trauma with Charizard Y. I have battled a mixed Charizard Y before and it ran Earthquake, which destroyed Heatran. Evertime I see a Charizard Y, I immediately start to think that is has Earthquake. I think Conkeldurr isn't such a threat afterall. I can see how to deal with it now.

Also, do you think that I need a resistance to Rock? I am missing that as of right now, and with Terrakion, that's going to be a little bit of a nuisance.
Mega Venusaur doesn't resist Rocks, but it's so bulky that they're negligent. It also walls all the common Rock users (Terrakion, Landorus, Tyranitar, Hippowdon).
As for Stealth Rock, nothing on your team resists it, but at the same time, nothing on your team is bothered by it.
If it absolutely paranoids you, when if Genesect is banned you could opt for a good spinner or Defoger like Excadrill or Mandibuzz (although she's weak to Stealth Rock, she carries Roost and is extremely bulky).

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Also, please pardon the double post, but I noticed that your Venusaur has Overgrow.
If you replace it with Chlorophyll, you can outspeed Mega Charizard Y (due to the sun) even with Min Speed and put it to sleep if you're sure that it has Earthquake. And of course, if it lacks Earthquake, Heatran walls it. Plus the Air Balloon adds an extra layer of security.

Also, please pardon the double post, but I noticed that your Venusaur has Overgrow.
If you replace it with Chlorophyll, you can outspeed Mega Charizard Y (due to the sun) even with Min Speed and put it to sleep if you're sure that it has Earthquake. And of course, if it lacks Earthquake, Heatran walls it. Plus the Air Balloon adds an extra layer of security.
Those are good suggestions. I might try Excadrill with Rapid Spin if Genesect gets banned. I do miss out on the speed though. Also, I think that Mega Lucario is a big threat afterall. The Special Nasty Plot set is deadly and nothing kills it. Do you have a solution for that? Also, I am not sure on the EV spread on Landorus. Should I run max HP and ATK, or do I need Speed EV's to outspeed something? Chlorophyll is a good idea on Venusaur, I will add that.

Star

is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis the defending RU Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OGC & Tour Head
Gonna start of by saying Conkeldurr is not at all a threat to your team. It hates intimidate and Azumarill can OHKO it. Also Mega Venusaur walls it to hell and back. To help with the Char-Y problem I would suggest Ancientpower on Heatran. It is also incredibly useful on the off chance it gets a stat boost which makes Heatran near impossible to stop.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Those are good suggestions. I might try Excadrill with Rapid Spin if Genesect gets banned. I do miss out on the speed though. Also, I think that Mega Lucario is a big threat afterall. The Special Nasty Plot set is deadly and nothing kills it. Do you have a solution for that? Also, I am not sure on the EV spread on Landorus. Should I run max HP and ATK, or do I need Speed EV's to outspeed something? Chlorophyll is a good idea on Venusaur, I will add that.
The best counters to Lucario are Aegislash and Talonflame. Lucario can work around Aegislash, but putting Talonflame on your team would make you have to completely rework your team.
I was looking at your team to think what I'd personally replace Genesect with then it is likely banned. And the answer was right in front of us. Conkeldurr. It fits your team style, being a bulky offensive Pokemon, plus it's excellent on its own right and resists Rock, like you looked into. He also is a good check to Lucario, as Lucario cannot OHKO it without a crit.
Here's the calc: 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 296-350 (71.4 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
While at the same time, Conkeldurr OHKOs Mega Lucario 100% of the time while recovering a chunk of the HP it lost.
Here's that calc: 252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 318-374 (113.1 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As always, source for calcs: http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

Gonna start of by saying Conkeldurr is not at all a threat to your team. It hates intimidate and Azumarill can OHKO it. Also Mega Venusaur walls it to hell and back. To help with the Char-Y problem I would suggest Ancientpower on Heatran. It is also incredibly useful on the off chance it gets a stat boost which makes Heatran near impossible to stop.
You are right! I did not know how to play around Conkeldurr, now I do! Thanks for your input!

The best counters to Lucario are Aegislash and Talonflame. Lucario can work around Aegislash, but putting Talonflame on your team would make you have to completely rework your team.
I was looking at your team to think what I'd personally replace Genesect with then it is likely banned. And the answer was right in front of us. Conkeldurr. It fits your team style, being a bulky offensive Pokemon, plus it's excellent on its own right and resists Rock, like you looked into. He also is a good check to Lucario, as Lucario cannot OHKO it without a crit.
Here's the calc: 252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 296-350 (71.4 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
While at the same time, Conkeldurr OHKOs Mega Lucario 100% of the time while recovering a chunk of the HP it lost.
Here's that calc: 252+ Atk Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Lucario: 318-374 (113.1 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As always, source for calcs: http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/
Conkeldurr sounds like an awesome pokemon for this team. I will definitely use it if Genesect gets banned. I should playtest it first though, so I'll do that! Those calcs are looking good and Conkeldurr is really awesome to play with. Definitely a good suggestion! I do miss out on speed though, which is kind of a sacrifice.

Bug buzz is unneeded, I wouldswould suggest either iron head to nail fairies hard, giga drain ohkos most rotom washes, although venasaur kinda makes that unnecessary, or as others have suggested, t bolt

Doesnt zard-y carry focus blast like always?

Doesnt zard-y carry focus blast like always?
It might carry Focus Blast yeah. Usually people avoid Focus Blast because of the accuracy.

Anyways, I changed the movesets as suggested by Liarliarpantsonfire. I like the fact that Shift Gear Genesect is a surprising factor. I have Landorus-T the Choice Scarf, as the Double Dancer often did not get the chance to sweep. Also, it has U-turn so that works with Rotom-W.

This is a great team with great synergy, however i'd watch out for air balloon excadrill, huge issue for your team if it's max attack and speed, your team just gets whooped because rotom-w just gets completely destroyed even with max physical bulk, and there's only so much azumarill and mega venusaur can take from eq. Just throwing this out there because air balloon excadrill is very common and landorus-t is your only pokemon preventing excadrill from completely ruining your team, your landorus-t is also scarfed, so it's recommended to run a double dancer set on your landorus-t to switch it around, and landorus-t is a much better answer to opposing defensive teams, as well as hyper offense. In the case of beating any excadrill easier (bar sand rush), run choice scarf genesect with blaze kick to switch it up, as well as beating assault vest excadrill, and scarf genesect beats dragons if your azumarill is gone. You obviously don't have to use this advice tho if you really feel choice scarf lando-t can handle air balloon excadrill. Leech seed support is also recommended on mega venusaur for pink blobs, and for the rest of the team really.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Blaze Kick
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

With the set switch-up's you still have a volt-turn core, beat excadrill easier, and you have a better answer to defensive teams with lando-t, which can also sweep HO teams very easily with rock polish. In addition, dragons won't be much of an issue if azumarill is dead. Lando-t completely destroys lucario, set-up rock polish on any lucario set if it decides to hit you with a +1 close combat, or if the person is wise enough to switch out lucario. This lando-t set is still bulky, and avoids 2HKO from +1 jolly lucario, even though it doesn't matter much. If this lando-t sets up on HO or defensive teams, it's pretty much gg. Only thing standing in this things way is skarmory, as well as gliscor and opposing lando-t, however because you have chestorest rotom-w, these pokemon are goners, and lando-t takes advantage of that very well. I recommend 28 spA ev's on rotom-w to guarantee 0HKO on gliscor so it doesn't toxic stall if you want to save chesto berry, and the absence of 28 def ev's is unnoticed. Blaze kick on genesect for a guaranteed 2HKO on the bulky spinner excadrill set, while flamethrower isn't a guaranteed 2HKO because blaze kick gets the download boost from most excadrill, specially defensive jirachi likewise is guaranteed 2HKO'd. Metagross is never seen, but +1 tbolt is guaranteed 2HKO. If you don't want ferrothorn to live a fire type move however, use flamethrower as it almost always gets the download boost. Additional attack ev's can be used as well.

Last edited:
I would actually just shift iron head on genesect for ice beam, seeing as gliscor/dragonite and landorus-t are a major issue to get past without that. Iron head should mostly be covered well by blaze kick/ice beam (as rock/fairies will be hit for neutral by one of the two).

On mega venusaur, I would go mixed EVs. I think the standard is 168 positive nature on the SDef side and the rest in defense, but I haven't checked the analysis on it. It is, though a fantastic mixed wall even when heatran goes max Sdef (Since both are fantastic at walling threats that hit neutral on either side regardless of spread).

Lastly, I suggest leftover/painsplit on rotom-w. Rest/Chesto is actually only good for short games and the general concensus seems to be that pain split is generally more useful.

-You mention Rotom-W as a TF counter. Change heatran's HP ice or Earth power to ancient power or change both to toxic/protect. This will allow you to have a chance vs TF with a pokemon that is by and large better suited for TF.
More importantly, vs teams with both TF and Pinsir-m (dual flying HO teams), you'll have a chance to win with dedicated counters to both (as rotom-w works really, really well vs pinsir-m, just don't get hit by MB EQ).

Other than that, looks good. Good luck.

This is a great team with great synergy, however i'd watch out for air balloon excadrill, huge issue for your team if it's max attack and speed, your team just gets whooped because rotom-w just gets completely destroyed even with max physical bulk, and there's only so much azumarill and mega venusaur can take from eq. Just throwing this out there because air balloon excadrill is very common and landorus-t is your only pokemon preventing excadrill from completely ruining your team, your landorus-t is also scarfed, so it's recommended to run a double dancer set on your landorus-t to switch it around, and landorus-t is a much better answer to opposing defensive teams, as well as hyper offense. In the case of beating any excadrill easier (bar sand rush), run choice scarf genesect with blaze kick to switch it up, as well as beating assault vest excadrill, and scarf genesect beats dragons if your azumarill is gone. You obviously don't have to use this advice tho if you really feel choice scarf lando-t can handle air balloon excadrill. Leech seed support is also recommended on mega venusaur for pink blobs, and for the rest of the team really.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Blaze Kick
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

With the set switch-up's you still have a volt-turn core, beat excadrill easier, and you have a better answer to defensive teams with lando-t, which can also sweep HO teams very easily with rock polish. In addition, dragons won't be much of an issue if azumarill is dead. Lando-t completely destroys lucario, set-up rock polish on any lucario set if it decides to hit you with a +1 close combat, or if the person is wise enough to switch out lucario. This lando-t set is still bulky, and avoids 2HKO from +1 jolly lucario, even though it doesn't matter much. If this lando-t sets up on HO or defensive teams, it's pretty much gg. Only thing standing in this things way is skarmory, as well as gliscor and opposing lando-t, however because you have chestorest rotom-w, these pokemon are goners, and lando-t takes advantage of that very well. I recommend 28 spA ev's on rotom-w to guarantee 0HKO on gliscor so it doesn't toxic stall if you want to save chesto berry, and the absence of 28 def ev's is unnoticed. Blaze kick on genesect for a guaranteed 2HKO on the bulky spinner excadrill set, while flamethrower isn't a guaranteed 2HKO because blaze kick gets the download boost from most excadrill, specially defensive jirachi likewise is guaranteed 2HKO'd. Metagross is never seen, but +1 tbolt is guaranteed 2HKO. If you don't want ferrothorn to live a fire type move however, use flamethrower as it almost always gets the download boost. Additional attack ev's can be used as well.
I actually used to run those sets on this team, but someone else suggested that I should use a Scarf Landorus to revenge kill Mega Special Lucario. Otherwise, it'll kill me. Should I switch back or not?

Also, I will change the EVs on the pokes, as suggested by Ajwf.

What ever you do, don't you ever use ancient power on heatran, god awful coverage, and toxic is needed to beat latias, and also beats volcarona still. And rotom-w can still volt-switch against a talonflame to handle a certain switch because your team can handle pretty much anything very well.

Last edited:
I actually used to run those sets on this team, but someone else suggested that I should use a Scarf Landorus to revenge kill Mega Special Lucario. Otherwise, it'll kill me. Should I switch back or not?

Also, I will change the EVs on the pokes, as suggested by Ajwf.
Well, for one, azumarill laughs at mega special lucario, and mega special lucario typically can't run priority, so it's easy to work around with scarf genesect and band azumarill. Two, the sets as well as the spreads are suited for physical lucario counter and handling dragons and excadrill better. +1 tbolt from genesect (87.9 - 103.5%) takes out many slightly weakened mega lucario if azumarill can't handle mega special lucario. On a lesser note, i like using 252 hp/ 196 def/ 60 spD with a bold nature on mega venusaur to handle latias better, as it avoids the 2HKO from psyshock from latias even with life orb, and also hard counters keldeo, just in general a more balanced mixed tank spread. For advice I use specific ev's to handle certain threats on a team that could otherwise cause a team some trouble (I made up the landorus-t ev's in my first post). Because your team forces a lot of switches, I would find a way to fit spikes on your team.

Last edited:
Well, for one, azumarill laughs at mega special lucario, and mega special lucario typically can't run priority, so it's easy to work around with scarf genesect and band azumarill. Two, the sets as well as the spreads are suited for physical lucario counter and handling dragons and excadrill better. +1 tbolt from genesect (87.9 - 103.5%) takes out many slightly weakened mega lucario if azumarill can't handle mega special lucario. On a lesser note, i like using 252 hp/ 196 def/ 60 spD with a bold nature on mega venusaur to handle latias better, as it avoids the 2HKO from psyshock from latias even with life orb, and also hard counters keldeo, just in general a more balanced mixed tank spread. For advice I use specific ev's to handle certain threats on a team that could otherwise cause a team some trouble (I made up the landorus-t ev's in my first post). Because your team forces a lot of switches, I would find a way to fit spikes on your team.
After some testing, I came to the conclusion that your suggestions were better and thus, I reverted back to my initial team with the EV spreads you suggested.

I would like to thank you for your time and effort into rating this team!

Unfortunately, it seems pretty likely that genesect will be banned, so you may have to rebuild your team a little bit differently. If he does get banned, life orb mamoswine with stealth rock would be a great fit, as well as making heatran specially defensive to handle lati twins and handle talonflame and volcarona easier by toxic stalling them because it doesn't have to run stealth rock in order to scout moves and stall for toxic and leftovers recovery instead of an air balloon. Choice scarf jirachi could also be a great alternative if genesect indeed does get banned, however gets destroyed by excadrill. If mega lucario is banned, choice scarf tyranitar and choice band or double dance terrakion would be a great replacement for landorus-t and genesect for a more sand-based team, however leech seed may have to be run instead of sludge bomb to sorta remedy sand dmg and a weaker recovery move, however still fits well in being able to beat threats that ttar and terrakion can't handle, such as conkeldurr, azumarill, and greninja to an extent. Specially defensive spread could be used on rotom-w to beat greninja as well.

Last edited:
You mentioned using Excadrill if Gene gets banded and I just thought I would bring a scarfed set to your attention. In my experience it catches a lot of things off guard, and you said you would miss the speeed of genesect. It also checks mega luke [was gonna get banned anyways tho]

Scarfrachi is actually a pretty good idea. I might use that ;o. Also, I could use a more offensive Venusaur with HP Fire to deal with Excadrill?

mega venusaur with HP fire doesn't do dittly squat to assault vest excadrill, you'd be better off just using giga drain and keep your defensive set. Just put the excadrill to sleep, that would be a better option.

P.S. because this is a dedicated mega venusaur team, don't consider my sand team idea, counter-intuitive because your own ttar would be countering your own mega venusaur, reducing synthesis recovery.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)