Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favourite offensive core right now: CB Genesect (stolen from creative movesets thread, truley sory xoxoxo)/Specs Porygon-Z. Opposing Download can be played with by tweaking your defensive EVs to make it boost the unused attack stat, but DOUBLE Download is nothing to laugh at, especially not when stacked with a choice item boost. With Genesect/PZ, you have strong +2 priority, the strongest first turn U-turn you can get, outrageous offences both physically and specially and only 2 weaknesses. Plenty of good pivots resist both Fire and Fighting, so take your pick. And don't just throw around Tri Attack willy-nilly when you know the opponent has lots of Steels, Ghosts and pink blobs left alive.

I've been using a surprisingly good volt-turn core in UU that also functions pretty well in OU as well:

Brobat (Crobat) @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Cross Poison
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- U-turn

Magneto (Magnezone) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Analytic boosted Volt Switches and Banded U-Turns wear down the opponent fast and these two have perfect type synergy. The only major flaw is that they cannot muscle past electric types as easily as other pokemon, so a ground type could complete the core

I've been using a surprisingly good volt-turn core in UU that also functions pretty well in OU as well:

Jolly Nature
- Cross Poison
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Analytic boosted Volt Switches and Banded U-Turns wear down the opponent fast and these two have perfect type synergy. The only major flaw is that they cannot muscle past electric types as easily as other pokemon, so a ground type could complete the core
Rotom-H is a pretty solid counter to your core. I won't the Banded Cross Poison from Crobat, and can OHKO with Thunderbolt, while is can HOKO Magnezone with Overheat.

I've discovered that Gyarados and Excadrill formulate an absolutely fabulous core together. They synergize perfectly, with Excadrill taking on Electric-types with nothing to fear, even being neutral to HP Ice, which many, many Electric types run. Excadrill also provides spinning for Gyarados, while Intimidate helps Excadrill switch in to physical attacks.

Been thinking of Mega-Mawile and Rotom-Wash. Rotom can switch in on the Fire and Ground moves that bother Mawile, then he can Volt Switch (or just switch if he's too slow) out and have Mawile tank the incoming Grass attack. Wish support would be nice though.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've discovered that Gyarados and Excadrill formulate an absolutely fabulous core together. They synergize perfectly, with Excadrill taking on Electric-types with nothing to fear, even being neutral to HP Ice, which many, many Electric types run. Excadrill also provides spinning for Gyarados, while Intimidate helps Excadrill switch in to physical attacks.
True, but neither can switch into Rotom-W, the #1 OU Pokemon, without fearing to get crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Although I guess Gyarados could hold a Lum Berry, but it would get destroyed by Volt Switch regardless.

Last edited:
True, but neither can switch into Rotom-W, the #1 OU Pokemon, without fearing to get crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Although I guess Gyarados could hold a Lum Berry, but it would get destroyed by Vot Switch regardless.
To be fair, many physical attackers can't switch into Rotom-W without fearing to get crippled by Will-O-Wisp.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus

Jolly Nature
- Cross Poison
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang
- U-turn

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

You should add a Gastrodon for Rotom-H. Covers your Fire weakness, and patches up the water neutrality.

True, but neither can switch into Rotom-W, the #1 OU Pokemon, without fearing to get crippled by Will-O-Wisp. Although I guess Gyarados could hold a Lum Berry, but it would get destroyed by Volt Switch regardless.
However, if you're SURE the opponent will Volt Switch (which Rotom-W does most of the time) you can easily switch in Excadrill and smack it with Mold Breaker EQ

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 455-538 (149.67 - 176.97%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 318-374 (104.6 - 123.02%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is what i've been running

Trevenant @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Spd / 180 Def
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Noivern @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast/Boomburst
- Switcheroo

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Not the greatest core but I like it :) also alternatively you could use harvest Trevenant (I prefer Natural Cure though)

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Last edited:

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
I've been thinking about a MegaVenusaur/Tyranitar or a MegaTyranitar/Venusaur core. They both resist each others weaknesses nicely, and Venusaur can run Weather Ball for a base 100 power rock move. Mega Venusaur sacrifices Black Sludge for bulk. MegaTyranitar sacrifices Leftovers or Assault Vest for bulk and power. This core also counters all of the main threats in the game.

Can someone share their grwninja cores, hes so hard to build a team around due to his frailty​
I believe you might like the Greninja / Galvantula cores that were talked about a while back in the thread. I personally can't see the value in Greninja (except for the ghost/dark resistance it can't use very well and protean trolling).

I find that Togekiss with Ferrothorn works well, especially against dragons as they carry a fire move or rock move (normally) and depending on which one they have you can switch. Also Ferrothorn can paralyse opponents so togekiss can air slash them for all the Hax.

One of my Favorite cores last Gen was Flash Fire Chandelure and Ferrothorn. Ferro could switch into Chandelure's weaknesses and vice versa. It kind of got battered by the steel nerf, but it can still be used.

What is a good Core involving a Machamp? That isn't Rachi+Champ. And I would like for it to be to where Champ is in a Offensive Core. I have a current team of Heatran, Slowking, and Ferrothorn (Grass Water Fire defensive core) Rotom-W and Durant.

One of my Favorite cores last Gen was Flash Fire Chandelure and Ferrothorn. Ferro could switch into Chandelure's weaknesses and vice versa. It kind of got battered by the steel nerf, but it can still be used.
Dark-types really help with patching up the Ghost and Dark-type weakness that arose with this core, and Greninja works fairly well. Chandelure can cover the weaknesses to Fighting, Grass, Fairy, and Bug, while Ferrothorn can take on Electric-type attacks.

Hi everybody. This is a double weather core I've been playing with for a while which works quite well.

Lilligant @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 Def / 252 SAtk / 184 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire] / [Ice]

Main sweeper of the core. She can abuse Sun and Chlorophyll either to revenge kill low health enemies or to put them to sleep and start boosting with Quiver Dance, so that when sunlight fades she will be faster than the opponent anyway.
Giga Drain lets it heal while sweeping (and also sometimes beat enemies relying on toxic stalling). I usually prefer HP Fire since enemies tend to send in Genesect to revenge (while you outspeed and OHKO), but I guess HP Ice could work too.

Charizard (F) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

Drought user for Lilli and main wallbreaker. The 5 turns of sun are usually enough to let Lilli Sleep Powder + Quiver Dance so Ninetales is not needed. I use mixed CharY because it is unexpected, so it gets me many surprise KOs.
It also opens the way for a Lilli sweep eliminating most of its counters. Flare Blitz takes care of the pink blobs, Earthquake of Heatran and Brick Break of Ttar. Those are also some of the main answers to Char itself so eliminating them allows for easy Fire Blast spam. Fire Blitz also lets me suicide KO Char if I don't need it any more to let Lilli come in with more turns of sun left.
I prefer Fire Blast over Overheat to let the opponent think it is a Special CharY. I rarely miss Solarbeam since Rotoms/Bulky waters are easy setup opportunities for Lilli.

Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers / Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef or 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Sassy / Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock / Ice Fang

When you get enough QDs with Lilli the last thing you want is seeing a Talonflame KO you with priority Brave Bird. The solution is to Pursuit trap it with Ttar. Tttar can trap Lati@s which could wall Char and Lilli. Sand Stream also ensures that you are not overrun by other sun sweepers and abusers.
The leftovers variant also provides rocks while the CB one Pursuit traps more effectively.

This core has trouble with bulky dragons not named Lati@s, such as Goodra, so pairing this with a powerful Fairy could be an idea. Also a spinner/defog user is almost necessary.
What Fairy-spinner-defogger would you advise me to use without stacking too many electric and ice weaknesses?

Last edited:
Hi everybody. This is a double weather core I've been playing with for a while which works quite well.

Lilligant @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 Def / 252 SAtk / 184 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire] / [Ice]

Main sweeper of the core. She can abuse Sun and Chlorophyll either to revenge kill low health enemies or to put them to sleep and start boosting with Quiver Dance, so that when sunlight fades she will be faster than the opponent anyway.
Giga Drain lets it heal while sweeping (and also sometimes beat enemies relying on toxic stalling). I usually prefer HP Fire since enemies tend to send in Genesect to revenge (while you outspeed and OHKO), but I guess HP Ice could work too.

Charizard (F) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

Drought user for Lilli and main wallbreaker. The 5 turns of sun are usually enough to let Lilli Sleep Powder + Quiver Dance so Ninetales is not needed. I use mixed CharY because it is unexpected, so it gets me many surprise KOs.
It also opens the way for a Lilli sweep eliminating most of its counters. Flare Blitz takes care of the pink blobs, Earthquake of Heatran and Brick Break of Ttar. Those are also some of the main answers to Char itself so eliminating them allows for easy Fire Blast spam. Fire Blitz also lets me suicide KO Char if I don't need it any more to let Lilli come in with more turns of sun left.
I prefer Fire Blast over Overheat to let the opponent think it is a Special CharY. I rarely miss Solarbeam since Rotoms/Bulky waters are easy setup opportunities for Lilli.

Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers / Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef or 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Sassy / Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock / Ice Fang

When you get enough QDs with Lilli the last thing you want is seeing a Talonflame KO you with priority Brave Bird. The solution is to Pursuit trap it with Ttar. Tttar can trap Lati@s which could wall Char and Lilli. Sand Stream also ensures that you are not overrun by other sun sweepers and abusers.
The leftovers variant also provides rocks while the CB one Pursuit traps more effectively.

This core has trouble with bulky dragons not named Lati@s, such as Goodra, so pairing this with a powerful Fairy could be an idea. Also a spinner/defog user is almost necessary.
What Fairy-spinner-defogger would you advise me to use without stacking too many electric and ice weaknesses?
You know what, I've been thinking about double-weather for a while now, since I tried ZardY + Victini and faced a lot of opponents exploiting my Sun. Is this a thing?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but azumarill and ferrothorn form an amazing core as they cover each others weaknesses perfectly.

This is what i've been running

Trevenant @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Noivern @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast/Boomburst
- Switcheroo

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Not the greatest core but I like it :) also alternatively you could use harvest Trevenant (I prefer Natural Cure though)

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest
That actually works really well considering the rain from politoed gives noivern a 100% accurate hurricane and they all cover each others weaknesses .

I'm planning on building the Talonflame/ScarfRaptor core since it's apparently so good. Suggestions for a defensive core to back those two up? Only things that jump out that look really good are either ferrothorn or megasaur.

I'm planning on building the Talonflame/ScarfRaptor core since it's apparently so good. Suggestions for a defensive core to back those two up? Only things that jump out that look really good are either ferrothorn or megasaur.
Maybe a Spinner? Excadrill is the only one who goes to mind since he resists both Rock and Electric which hurts both Talon and Raptor not to mention SR hazard >.>

While both of them can cover Excadrills Fighting/Ground/Fire weaknesses c:

You can also go Ferro/Mega Venusaur + Rotom - W to make a FWG with Talon :)

Hope this helps!

I bealive that a good core whould be a Togetic with eviolite and Follow me. And for partner a M-absol , M-mawile or Aegishlash because Togetic will take the damage and the other with
two Swords Danse they will get + 4 Attack and with Shandow Sneak or Sucker Punch to KO almost anything with one move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)