How has Smogon affected you?

Hmmm...
As you can see by my join date, I'm not an oldfag at all, so I can't say that Smogon's flipped my life upside-down, especially since my best friends haven't been from here, but I'll do my best.

I've been aware of the existence of Smogon since about 2010, a bit before B/W were revealed. When I popped in in 2013, though, I was largely in the X/Y chat. I had the time to blab a lot because this was at the time where my best bro was ignoring me and I had no job, therefore had a great deal of free time outside of school. The fast-paced nature of the X/Y board "taught" me that it was fine/good to talk a lot.
So, as a lot of you people know, I talked.
A lot.
And not just in the X/Y chat.
To the point where 'Shiruba's postcount" became a mini-meme, though not to the extent of contact Birkal or Are Smogon Ruining the Metagame?. RODAN, Crux and Stellar managed to shut me up, though, after my hiatus.

Nowadays, Firebot is easily my favourite part of this site, and the part I check more than anything. Sure, I, like many others, have been "verbally gang-raped" as vader so eloquently put it, but it's been a helluva learning experience. It's a bit stressful, the "sink or swim" thing about learning the customs of the Internet, but it's not as bad as a fast-paced job because you're, well, on the Internet, where you can navigate away at any time and collect yourself if needed. Even now, though, I do try to "fit in," as is the social need of a human, in the sense that I want people to like me, nehehehe. The first part of my "career" here was me trying to do that, but in a more annoying way. Learning how to not be dumb is gut, though I'm obviously still dumb - the board necro was intentional stupidity to gauge the reaction, though.

Competitive battling has also been a cool experience for me, mainly due to the people I've met. There are a lot of interesting people on PS!, and that simulator is the thing that got me to join a Mexican gang for about two days. Also met a Latino guitarist and a German clinic worker, among others. Lots of colourful people, all coming together to play one game. It's cool how all-encompassing Pokemon is - imo, it's one of its best qualities.

I'd like to think that this place has taught me how to "Internet" better, though, and there are a lot of cool people on this website, especially the aforementioned RODAN, faint, vader, jynx, THE_IRON_KENYAN, hipmonlee {despite being too young to have really seen him around in his heyday, though I've seen old threads}, and of course, Ricky Charizard 1998. I haven't actually personally met any of the above, really, but I like reading your posts. You seem to be cool. I've probably forgotten some people, too.

newtonja, it gets easier, I promise. Messing up is embarrassing as hell, particularly if you do it on a rather large forum with a lot of different opinions that you're not used to, but you do start to get over it eventually, or improve your premeditation skills.
Also - I thought that it was Newtoninja before I actually wrote it out. The more you know.

Calm_Mind_Latias, try Scarf Latios. I loved him on my Gen V OU team. Not as good with all of those damn Genesects running around, though.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Hmmm...
As you can see by my join date, I'm not an oldfag at all, so I can't say that Smogon's flipped my life upside-down, especially since my best friends haven't been from here, but I'll do my best.

I've been aware of the existence of Smogon since about 2010, a bit before B/W were revealed. When I popped in in 2013, though, I was largely in the X/Y chat. I had the time to blab a lot because this was at the time where my best bro was ignoring me and I had no job, therefore had a great deal of free time outside of school. The fast-paced nature of the X/Y board "taught" me that it was fine/good to talk a lot.
So, as a lot of you people know, I talked.
A lot.
And not just in the X/Y chat.
To the point where 'Shiruba's postcount" became a mini-meme, though not to the extent of contact Birkal or Are Smogon Ruining the Metagame?. RODAN, Crux and Stellar managed to shut me up, though, after my hiatus.

Nowadays, Firebot is easily my favourite part of this site, and the part I check more than anything. Sure, I, like many others, have been "verbally gang-raped" as vader so eloquently put it, but it's been a helluva learning experience. It's a bit stressful, the "sink or swim" thing about learning the customs of the Internet, but it's not as bad as a fast-paced job because you're, well, on the Internet, where you can navigate away at any time and collect yourself if needed. Even now, though, I do try to "fit in," as is the social need of a human, in the sense that I want people to like me, nehehehe. The first part of my "career" here was me trying to do that, but in a more annoying way. Learning how to not be dumb is gut, though I'm obviously still dumb - the board necro was intentional stupidity to gauge the reaction, though.

Competitive battling has also been a cool experience for me, mainly due to the people I've met. There are a lot of interesting people on PS!, and that simulator is the thing that got me to join a Mexican gang for about two days. Also met a Latino guitarist and a German clinic worker, among others. Lots of colourful people, all coming together to play one game. It's cool how all-encompassing Pokemon is - imo, it's one of its best qualities.

I'd like to think that this place has taught me how to "Internet" better, though, and there are a lot of cool people on this website, especially the aforementioned RODAN, faint, vader, jynx, THE_IRON_KENYAN, hipmonlee {despite being too young to have really seen him around in his heyday, though I've seen old threads}, and of course, Ricky Charizard 1998. I haven't actually personally met any of the above, really, but I like reading your posts. You seem to be cool. I've probably forgotten some people, too.

newtonja, it gets easier, I promise. Messing up is embarrassing as hell, particularly if you do it on a rather large forum with a lot of different opinions that you're not used to, but you do start to get over it eventually, or improve your premeditation skills.
Also - I thought that it was Newtoninja before I actually wrote it out. The more you know.

Calm_Mind_Latias, try Scarf Latios. I loved him on my Gen V OU team. Not as good with all of those damn Genesects running around, though.
Actually, I found it difficult to start in Smogon, but I believe that it will become better once people start to know each other.
Although I registered years ago, I didn't start posting until XY. I originally came here to scout for news to translate into Chinese. (Especially when I discovered that some people here have connections with the Spanish Nintendo Magazine staff)

I registered so long ago that I registered a new account thinking that the old one would be long gone, but then accidentally logged in the old one.
So I continued to use the old one in order to guard against people who bully newbies. (Though I don't think I've seen any of this happening here)

But then, I just became chatty. xD

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
There was a time when I would count down the clock in school so I could get home and get on DJD's CAP Server

The people I met there, some of which have left, some of which are still around, brought me so much joy during a very painful and stressful part of life

Being able to become active again over winter break has shown me how much I missed my friends and the community; I hope the second semester won't be nearly as time consuming so I can remain active

Smogon also taught me how to play Dota 2!!!

In short Smogon turned me from an extroverted asshole in calm and collected individual, significantly more mature as well, although that may have been a result of progressing through puberty that was going to happen anyways.

Im gonna make this short and straight to the point. Smogon started as a little Pokemon battling site for me. The I started participating in chat and made some pretty cool friends that I talk to irl outide of Showdown. I find myself on this site most of the day. It taught me that no matter how different you are from someone,one thing that you share in common can bound any type of people. It made me a less aggressive communicator thanks to mutes and warnings. I love Showdown, and what started out as a last resort back-up site became my virtual playground that I'll never forget.

i started lurking smogon somewhere around early 2006. i think diamond and pearl were approaching, and i wanted to see what was up. i played a bit of netbattle around that time; i was a decent though not exactly a spectacular rse player (i was fucking twelve years old lol). i spent a lot of time lurking cong and firebot and, even though i didn't register here until 2009, i spent a considerable amount of time lurking the forums during those years but didn't actually participate for fear of castigation. i ended up getting tutoring and becoming a decent though probably unspectacular player and i hit #50 on the ladder sometimes (which admittedly isn't that impressive of an accomplishment, but whatever). i think some—though not a lot—of the cong threads helped me understand different perspectives on political issues, even if i didn't necessarily agree with them. uh, from the experience as a player that smogon has given me, i also think it's helped me learn to think more creatively – several of my tutors really stressed the element of surprise in pokemon, and i think i've begun to take a more inventive and creative when doing things in my life thanks to my experiences with pokemon.

i haven't exactly made many friends here and i don't think i talk to anyone here regularly, but this place really has made a difference to me. i really like going through old cong threads every once in a while and sometimes checking firebot. speaking of which, i remember reading pale fire in high school because someone (i think doctor heartbreak?) listed it among his favorite books, which led me to start reading again after a 1-2 year slump. given the fact that i have ninety posts, most of which have been in the rmt/battling 101/tournament forums, i haven't impacted the community much, but i thought i might as well post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)