Pokémon Dragonite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragonite's problem is speed, not bulk. Multiscale already allows it to setup on nearly anything, assault vest is just pointless, and you arent doing much without a speed boost.

The only WeakNite set I like is

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance
Roost
Dragon Claw
Fire Punch

Dragon Dance and Roost are a must. (Jolly is worthless) After 1 DD only priority Ice Shard or HP Ice Jolteon/ Manectric will outspeed you. If you see them assume that you will be hit with an Ice move and hit them because a setup will not be worth it. Outrage should never be used on a setup pokemon because of a free switch for Fairy type and a huge momentum swing in their favor. Fire Punch for steel types, but Thunder Punch is a great alternative if you can't stand Togekiss or Azumarill. EQ is good, but you can't kill Skarmory or Togekiss, ever.

The only problems I really have with this set are a Focus Sash Mamoswine with Ice Shard or Icicle Crash or Cloyster. Statuses are annoying and I miss Lum Berry at times, but always roll with Heal Bell or Aromatherapy on the team. You can use this set as a Lead or a Late Game Sweeper, and proceed to reak havoc.
Hey, that's the set I use. I get past sashes by partnering him with a hazard setter. I use a ferrothorn who also spreads paralysis so Dragonite has a chance for free set up turns.

Sorry if this has been said before, but how about a max atk max HP assault vest set with Powerup punch? Do you think that could do any good? It's easy to get to +1 with it, and your special bulk is still very good, but you are much more threatening, even if it's just for the +1 extreme speed.
Like SmashBrosBrawl said, Dragonite's speed is too low for him to hope to sweep without DD, and an assault vest removes any chance at recovery. I'd say leave the AV sets to things like Conkeldurr

Benghazi

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Hey, that's the set I use. I get past sashes by partnering him with a hazard setter. I use a ferrothorn who also spreads paralysis so Dragonite has a chance for free set up turns.

Like SmashBrosBrawl said, Dragonite's speed is too low for him to hope to sweep without DD, and an assault vest removes any chance at recovery. I'd say leave the AV sets to things like Conkeldurr
Yeah that's a great idea! Who do you use? I love Sylveon as a wish/ Heal Bell user and they work amazingly.

Yeah that's a great idea! Who do you use? I love Sylveon as a wish/ Heal Bell user and they work amazingly.
I've been using an Espeon. Just having it on a team discourages SR setters and status inducers. He also pretty much owns Rotom-W and Heatran (I use a calm mind set), 2 pokemon that this set dislikes. Prediction gets messy though, so I'm open to suggestions

Benghazi

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I've been using an Espeon. Just having it on a team discourages SR setters and status inducers. He also pretty much owns Rotom-W and Heatran (I use a calm mind set), 2 pokemon that this set dislikes. Prediction gets messy though, so I'm open to suggestions
Yeah that's a good idea. I use Tentacruel with Liquid Ooze and Rapid Spin, so much lighter on the prediction. Paired with Gliscor and Sylveon this defensive core does a great job at defending Dragonite. They spread status like the plague, remove hazards, and they have great survivability. I also use Magnezone to remove steels and flying pokemon. He fits a smaller niche and I don't use him that often barring him owning Genesect choiced into a Ice Beam/ Iron Head. My DNite can be used as a Lead depending on the pokemon in the preview. As long as the opponent isn't a terrible battler Dragonite can take out a couple of pokemon, but as a late game sweeper with the opposing team beaten down a little then Dragonite is unbeatable.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Recently, I have been using (AND been blown to bits by) CB Dragonite. It's still surprisingly good in this meta-- mostly because it's surprising how vulnerable a lot of teams are to a good old fashioned CB ExtremeSpeed. Actually, I almost never find myself hitting Outrage (and Superpower sucks, use EQ). With physical attackers being so apt at getting round Steel types in this meta (Talonflame, Luke one shotting Skarm, Aegislash abusing Shadow Ball, etc.), truly bulky physical Steel types like Skarm and Foretress are more rare, and less able to handle Dragonite, while fairies take a lot of damage from a CB ExSpeed or EQ. Also so many expecting the Weakness Policy set makes this thing lethal. I'd recommend people to try it out.

Recently, I have been using (AND been blown to bits by) CB Dragonite. It's still surprisingly good in this meta-- mostly because it's surprising how vulnerable a lot of teams are to a good old fashioned CB ExtremeSpeed. Actually, I almost never find myself hitting Outrage (and Superpower sucks, use EQ). With physical attackers being so apt at getting round Steel types in this meta (Talonflame, Luke one shotting Skarm, Aegislash abusing Shadow Ball, etc.), truly bulky physical Steel types like Skarm and Foretress are more rare, and less able to handle Dragonite, while fairies take a lot of damage from a CB ExSpeed or EQ. Also so many expecting the Weakness Policy set makes this thing lethal. I'd recommend people to try it out.
Agreed. I have been using a CB Dragonite on my team. Works as an excellent revenge killer and late game sweeper. With all the priority this generation that +2 priority CB Extremespeed is more useful than ever, especially with hazards down if given the chance. I use a CB Dragonite on a double dragon team with Mega Garchomp, and the two work wonderful together. Garchomp weakens the counters to spam Outrage later in the game aswell.

Dragonite@Choice Band
Multiscale
Adamant
4hp/252atk/252spe
-Outrage/Dragon claw
-Earthquake
-Extremespeed
-Fire Punch/Thunderpunch

Last edited:
^ Been using CBnite for about a week on a few test teams and it still wrecks everything. You can't spam outrage as much now but meh :/.

Agreed. I have been using a CB Dragonite on my team. Works as an excellent revenge killer and late game sweeper. With all the priority this generation that +2 priority CB Extremespeed is more useful than ever, especially with hazards down if given the chance. I use a CB Dragonite on a double dragon team with Mega Garchomp, and the two work wonderful together. Garchomp weakens the counters to spam Outrage later in the game aswell.

Dragonite@Choice Band
Multiscale
Adamant
4hp/252atk/252spe
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Extremespeed
-Fire Punch/Thunderpunch

Wow I was just about to post this set too lmfao, CB nite is still a threat this gen, however I'd just add / Dragon claw with D claw ur not locked so faries can switch in and hurt ur dnite

Wow I was just about to post this set too lmfao, CB nite is still a threat this gen, however I'd just add / Dragon claw with D claw ur not locked so faries can switch in and hurt ur dnite
its a good set haha. pretty sure outrage stops if a fairy switches in tho, but yeah being locked in against a steel like Aegislash aint much better. Dragon claw is always a nice option to outrage.

So, I found a really sweet Dragonite EV spread + Moveset, and it seemingly works to kill everything.
Ability: Multiscale
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 232 Spd / 108 Atk / 168 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
So, first, the speed EVs let it outspeed noivern (123) after Dancing once and anything below Noivern's speed. The Specially Defensive EVs was an idea when I saw Greninja still OHKOd this thing even through the Multiscale, these EVs make it only a 6.3% chance of Greninja doing so, allowing you to get a +3 Atk and +1 Spe in the same turn. Now, the Attack really gets hurt from this, but believe it or not, this thing at +3 is still only going to be completely walled by things like Quagsire (Unaware Ability) and Trick Room (Ghost types, Espeed won't hit). After +1 Spe and +3 Atk, Dragon Claw or Espeed is all you need, and EQ is there to cover Aegislash and M-Mawile, which just sort of try to say no to this thing. Of course, this comes to predicting, as with M-Mawile, you need to be careful not to use EQ on a Sucker Punch, but to use Espeed on that, which is where the skill comes in on this (For the people saying it's mindless sweeping). Another problem is if the opposing team's core consists of Talonflame and Greninja (Terrible core btw, no bulk, uncommon) as Tflame doesn't like Dragonite and can revenge kill after a Greninja gets you to red, though yes, at +3 a Talonflame almost always dies to Espeed, it will outspeed your other moves and hit you with the 34-40% Brave Bird(Banded). As much as I like this, it does make Dragonite's attack drop, and I haven't done calcs on everything, so I'm not sure what can live the +3 other than Quagsire of which is obvious. Anyways, post what you will, and give me opinions ^^

So, I found a really sweet Dragonite EV spread + Moveset, and it seemingly works to kill everything.
EVs: 232 Spd / 108 Atk / 168 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
So, first, the speed EVs let it outspeed noivern (123) after Dancing once and anything below Noivern's speed. The Specially Defensive EVs was an idea when I saw Greninja still OHKOd this thing even through the Multiscale, these EVs make it only a 6.3% chance of Greninja doing so, allowing you to get a +3 Atk and +1 Spe in the same turn. Now, the Attack really gets hurt from this, but believe it or not, this thing at +3 is still only going to be completely walled by things like Quagsire (Unaware Ability) and Trick Room (Ghost types, Espeed won't hit). After +1 Spe and +3 Atk, Dragon Claw or Espeed is all you need, and EQ is there to cover Aegislash and M-Mawile, which just sort of try to say no to this thing. Of course, this comes to predicting, as with M-Mawile, you need to be careful not to use EQ on a Sucker Punch, but to use Espeed on that, which is where the skill comes in on this (For the people saying it's mindless sweeping). Another problem is if the opposing team's core consists of Talonflame and Greninja (Terrible core btw, no bulk, uncommon) as Tflame doesn't like Dragonite and can revenge kill after a Greninja gets you to red, though yes, at +3 a Talonflame almost always dies to Espeed, it will outspeed your other moves and hit you with the 34-40% Brave Bird(Banded). As much as I like this, it does make Dragonite's attack drop, and I haven't done calcs on everything, so I'm not sure what can live the +3 other than Quagsire of which is obvious. Anyways, post what you will, and give me opinions ^^
When using extreme speed on the DD set, you're always going to lose some coverage to certain threats. In this case, Ferrothorn can check the set, possibly leaving your Dragonite with a paralysis. I run the same set with more standard EV's, but just make sure to have someone to take out Ferrothorn, weather its Magnezone, Heatran etc.

When using extreme speed on the DD set, you're always going to lose some coverage to certain threats. In this case, Ferrothorn can check the set, possibly leaving your Dragonite with a paralysis. I run the same set with more standard EV's, but just make sure to have someone to take out Ferrothorn, weather its Magnezone, Heatran etc.
On the two teams I've got Dnite on, it has either Excadrill + Tflame or Heatran + Conkeldurr. But yeah, forgot to mention that Sableye is a problem, Prankster and the ghost typing gives it a free hit of status, which haults the sweep. I also did not calc against defensive rotoms or Ice Shard Mamoswine, as some things might be bulky enough to take the espeed over the priority and such.

Maybe switch it up to

EVs: 232 atk / 108 spa / 168 SDef
Quiet Nature
- FireBlast
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

I just switched the evs around from ATH's set with fire blast you rid yourself of ferro and scizor should it ever be a problem, you keep ESPEED and EQ to get rid of ttar and any weakened pokes that lack prio, DClaw is STAB, the only con is that you don't have the speed boost and +3 attack but +2 is more than enough

Maybe switch it up to

Quiet Nature
- FireBlast
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

I just switched the evs around from ATH's set with fire blast you rid yourself of ferro and scizor should it ever be a problem, you keep ESPEED and EQ to get rid of ttar and any weakened pokes that lack prio, DClaw is STAB, the only con is that you don't have the speed boost and +3 attack but +2 is more than enough
Maybe switch it up to

Quiet Nature
- FireBlast
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

I think this is decent, but then you become slow and literally walled by Sableye.

Aaron's Aron

A concussion update in my info tab
Dragonite's a great anti lead. Its lum berry sets let it give you a bunch of momentum right off the bat.

Basically speaking, Dragonite is arguably the most versatile pokemon in the game. If your team needs a specific role, Dragonite probably has a set that does it.
I am quite curious, what do you think would be a good anti-lead Dragonite? I feel like that could be quite good and get you some momentum right off the bat, but I'm not sure what that set would be. I tried some things, but they didn't go to well.

I think he makes a great lead too. People always expect set up dragonite, so they take the time to set up a hazard or set up *BOOM* coverage move or STAB in the face.

Any idea what the ideal EV spread/nature should be if I'm using Weaknite as a physical def wall that turns into a sweeper with weakness policy boost and DD?

Any idea what the ideal EV spread/nature should be if I'm using Weaknite as a physical def wall that turns into a sweeper with weakness policy boost and DD?
Why would you use Dragonite as a wall with WP? If he tanks any hits before you can get a WP boost Multiscale will be broken and the super effective attack might possibly KO. Just a thought.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
You should really add the ParaShuffler set to the OP. It's not AS good as it was last gen, but it's still very viable.
Also, you should add a bulky set with Roost. I run that, and I was able to get on the ladder with a 1500+ Elo Rank.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Dragonite's speed is too low for him to hope to sweep without DD, and an assault vest removes any chance at recovery. I'd say leave the AV sets to things like Conkeldurr
Give Dragonite Wish Support, and the AV set becomes a nightmare. But without Wish support, it's more trouble than it's worth.
If you couldn't tell, I'm actually defending AVNite.

Give Dragonite Wish Support, and the AV set becomes a nightmare. But without Wish support, it's more trouble than it's worth.
If you couldn't tell, I'm actually defending AVNite.
That was specifically in response to a PU P set. Assaultnite works all right, though I feel it is kind of counterproductive to remove any reliable healing on a pokemon with Multiscale. It can work, but there are pokemon that do AV better.

As for the para shuffler set, its largely outclassed by Zygarde's glare + Dragon tail set. I do agree it should be added to the OP (its still viable), but you can't talk about it without at least mentioning Zygarde.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
read the zygarde thread, then get back to me. Things like the ability to use substitute effectively, glare hitting ground types, and better physical defenses make Dragonite hard to choose.
I know that, but I mean, it's not so much an outclass as it is a different set of advantages. Dragonite also has some of its own advantages. I just wouldn't call it "outclassed", even if Zygard may be more commonly chosen for that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)