Pokémon Clefable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clefable is a bit overrated. that's for sure. The more threatening boosters of OU, Scizor and Lucario, carry STAB attacks that threaten Clefable. I suppose it can stop a boosted Volcarona for a few, but it doesn't have any moves that hit back hard and unoosted Volc still hits hard.
Similar to Swagsire, this thing can actually pull off a great Swagger set:
Swagable (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Swagger
- Psych Up
- Stored Power
- Soft-Boiled

This set is odd, you could use the reliableness of Cosmic Power, but this set pulls off a ton of shenanigans. Similarly, you can run Ditto to get the boosts if they kill Clefable. Clefable has fun getting +2, it may get it in Attack, but this amps up Clefables Stored Power exactly as much as Cosmic Power does. It then leaves the opponent confused and you at +2 Stored Power. This set is gimmicky, but it is pretty fun to use!
Ah... swagger. If anything it's fun picturing your opponents throwing fits rage from having their pokemon kill themselves.

As for the build, I think comic power power, while potentially powerful, is a too unreliable. First the opponent needs to stay in for 3 swaggers and then Psych Up to reach max potential damage, and because of the mechanics of Psych Up you could potentially lose boosts should the opponent switch. I think it's better to run the set with some kind of passive damage in order to help rack up damage. Toxic might be decent as Unaware and Softboiled allows Clefable to sponge a surprising number of hits. Trick + Flame orb with swagger support helps to make Clefable more bulky on the physical side whilst doing decent damage each turn.

Swagsire definitely does this better since its scald burns at the most inconvenient of times.

Scizor in its normal form cannot reliably beat Clefable in a 1 on 1 situation if its Physically Defensive especially if its using Unaware (which renders SD moot) as it has to be wary of the common Flamethrower/Fire Blast they use to threaten Steel type switch ins.

Mega Scizor does better but its still dangerous.

Unboosted Modest Volcarona can only 3HKO a Physically Defensive Clefable and pray its not fighting a Clefable with Calm Mind or Cosmic Power/Stored Power.

Lucario I agree with (or its Mega Form at least) but then again M-Luke is a monster to a lot of the meta.

Clefable is a bit overrated. that's for sure. The more threatening boosters of OU, Scizor and Lucario, carry STAB attacks that threaten Clefable. I suppose it can stop a boosted Volcarona for a few, but it doesn't have any moves that hit back hard and unoosted Volc still hits hard.
252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 282-332 (71.5 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 300-356 (87.2 - 103.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 152-180 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 166-196 (59 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Clefable tanks both of those "threats" like a pro, even without any investment in Def, which most Clefables will run.

i got a cleffa with wish and some great IV's magic guard i cant seem to find a wish pass set posted here although may have missed it is there one?

252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 282-332 (71.5 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 300-356 (87.2 - 103.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Clefable: 152-180 (38.5 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 166-196 (59 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Clefable tanks both of those "threats" like a pro, even without any investment in Def, which most Clefables will run.
Taking 87% is not tanking ^^;. You don't want to come in on 87% damage. And that's not even taking into consideration Life Orb or a possible Choice Band. Also bullet punch and not Flash cannon on MLucario?

Last edited:
my clefable set is

252HP/252DEF/4SPA UnAware (some defence raising attack lowering nature)
-cosmic power
-moonlight/wish
-moonblast
-encore

One would not believe how hilarious it is to switch on agislash *6 ATK and have its shadow sneak do nothing. hell if they predict the switch and swords dance just encore em into either and start cosmic powering after plus 1 anything dose just barly 50% then leftovers comes while u cosmic again then heal.

Taking 87% is not tanking ^^;. You don't want to come in on 87% damage. And that's not even taking into consideration Life Orb or a possible Band. Also bullet punch and not Flash cannon on MLucario?
Of course you don't want to come in on 87% damage. Unless you're stupid or playing Weakness Policy Dragonite, why are you swapping into SE hits? And again, those calcs were without any Def investment. Bold 252 Def Clefable scoffs at even LO Bullet Punch from Scizor then OHKOs back. MLucario does not score a KO on Clefable with Flash Cannon unless that Clefable is completely lacking SpD investment, and at +1 and a Life Orb Clefable can OHKO back with Flamethrower. It is very difficult to threaten Clefable with the checks you listed.

i got a cleffa with wish and some great IV's magic guard i cant seem to find a wish pass set posted here although may have missed it is there one?
Clefable @ Leftovers.
Magic Guard
Bold | 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpA
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
This is why pure damage calculations can be misleading as you need to take into general usability. The point of Unaware is to come in and stop boosted mons. Quagsire can come in one boosted mons and force switches with burns and toxic, while in the case of Clefable the player needs to wait until one of your Pokemon are ko'd or use U-Turn (if they survive) to avoid being KO'd after the switch. You also need to factor in wear and tear, given that Clefable trades off unaware and how prominent stealth rocks remains this generation.
Mega Lucario 2HKOs fully special defensive Clefable with unboosted flash cannon. Would Unaware Clefable even run Life Orb?

This is why pure damage calculations can be misleading as you need to take into general usability. The point of Unaware is to come in and stop boosted mons. Quagsire can come in one boosted mons and force switches with burns and toxic, while in the case of Clefable the player needs to wait until one of your Pokemon are ko'd or use U-Turn (if they survive) to avoid being KO'd after the switch. You also need to factor in wear and tear, given that Clefable trades off unaware and how prominent stealth rocks remains this generation.
Mega Lucario 2HKOs fully special defensive Clefable with unboosted flash cannon. Would Unaware Clefable even run Life Orb?
make a good point but clefable can really eff with azumarils and agislashes cuz of encore and unaware while being able to switch in without uturn and the such

Two things:

1. I have not been talking about Unaware Clefable. At all.
2. Quagsire won't switch in on a Grass attacker. Why would Clefable switch in on a Steel attacker?

I was talking about boosters, therefore Unaware Clefable. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. Though Magic Guard Clefable would suffer similar problems as well given how popular Scizor and Lucario are, moreso if they boost. Why would you assume that Magic Guard Clefable would switch in on boosting steel types?

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
I can already see clefable wrecking shit. It's decent HP makes it a good wall, as well as its decent SPATK, with the addition of learning Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Focus Blast, and other similar moves. It'll be good for a formerly underused pokemon.

To me, Clefable is the new Reuniclus. It can boost with cosmic power + stored power + charge beam or calm mind + moonblast and completely sweep stall teams once mega-Venu is eliminated. Even then, mega-Venu isn't an issue if it doesn't carry sludge bomb. In addition, using Magnezone as a teammate helps Clefable run through offensive teams with Lucario, Scizor, and Aegislash. Besides her boosting sets which are incredible due to her ability and typing, I guess she is an average wish passer and cleric...not enough bulk in my opinion. Just use a pink blob for that

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Your opponent's Mega Luke set up SD even though Clefable was your last Mon? Yeah, that's a rather inaccurate representation of how a serious competitive player would act in a scenario like that.
Yeah, that was a definite play error on my opponent's part. It's possible he or she thought I was running the Magic Guard variant or that that Mega Lucario wasn't running Bullet Punch (for some reason). I don't know why they did that, but I was super thankful.

To me, Clefable is the new Reuniclus. It can boost with cosmic power + stored power + charge beam or calm mind + moonblast and completely sweep stall teams once mega-Venu is eliminated. Even then, mega-Venu isn't an issue if it doesn't carry sludge bomb. In addition, using Magnezone as a teammate helps Clefable run through offensive teams with Lucario, Scizor, and Aegislash. Besides her boosting sets which are incredible due to her ability and typing, I guess she is an average wish passer and cleric...not enough bulk in my opinion. Just use a pink blob for that
Magnezone is a phenomenal teammate for Clefable, but you do have to be careful because Magnezone can not eliminate Lucario, Heatran, Excadrill, and Aegislashes that run Sacred Sword. A good third teammate could be Garchomp, Flygon, or Krookodile. Additionally, if you're good at predicting opponent switches, Dugtrio would be a very viable third member for that core.

I use the same Evil lil Clefable set from 4th gen

Name: Bxtch Puddin'
Item:Toxic Orb
Nature: Bold/Calm (preference)
Ability: Magic Guard
EV spread: 252 HP/ 128 DEF/SPDEF
Moveset:
- Cosmic Power
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Yup, dats it!!
Twave or CP would be the initial start up.
Boil you an egg when needed. And with no speed invest you can nab you one before they try and knuckle you up.
Orb for the slp, para, or possible tricksters. It can function without relying on an item.
You're bound to land more twaves as your opponent shuffles about his team trying to deal with the def you have building up.
Get you some spikes and floaty rocks in there maybe, idk I'd stay away from toxic spikes so i can nail more para.
Aha threats? SE moves? laughable after a handful of CPs
Watch out for SE crits tho and pokes that can recover HP.

Great with Bulky atkrs too like Champ, life orb Darmanitan, anything that hits hard and movepool

gengar walls of course but scizor says hi with BP or bye with pursuit
oh hes gotta sub on a predicted switch?
infiltrator (scarf chandy) is handy

I use the same Evil lil Clefable set from 4th gen

Name: Bxtch Puddin'
Item:Toxic Orb
Nature: Bold/Calm (preference)
Ability: Magic Guard
EV spread: 252 HP/ 128 DEF/SPDEF
Moveset:
- Cosmic Power
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

infiltrator (scarf chandy) is handy
Name it "Attract Heatran" because that's exactly what it will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)