Alphabet Cup

I think you mean Banette...
Oh, and Contary mons are pretty good, if they have the right moves.
Yes, I messed out because I wanted to post a lead set for Sableye too, with Spore/Sticky Web(or Spikes)/Stealth Rock/Taunt.

Heatran now gets a good recovery in Heal Order and Terrakion can abuse Trick in his famous Choiced Sets.

Did anyone think about Coil Charizard-Mega? Its bulk can become quite threatening after a +1/+2 and can then use a nicely accurate Cross Chop if you are afraid of defense drops from Close Combat.

Don't forget that Kyurem-B gets Karate Chop, King's Shield, and Knock Off. Zygarde gets Zen Headbutt. Jolteon gets Judgement.

Shuckle can put you to sleep with Spore, almost half your attack and special attack with Power Split, cause burns with Scald, set up Stealth Rock, Sticky Web, and Spikes, doom an incoming set-up sweeper by Skill Swapping Contrary, restore HP with Slack Off, Soft-Boiled or Synthesis, reduce your special attack even more with Snarl, change your type with Soak, it can struggle (idk why you would want that, though), remove its water weakness with Sunny Day, wreck your HP with Super Fang, and then, during its sunlight, unleash Solar Beams quickly. Talk about 4MSS.

Belly Drum Simple Bibarel.
It's over.

EDIT: Also, Skill Swap Slaking
Wish/whirlwid wobbufett
Bibarel is the least of your worries in B. Belly Drum Basculin has Adaptability Aqua Jets (and also gets Bullet Punch), Bisharp's combination of Bullet Punch and Sucker Punch make it pretty tough to beat. Other notable users includ Breloom, who can fire off Technician-boosted Bullet Seed, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch and Bonemerang. Oh, and there's Belly Drum Baton Pass Blissey and Bronzong. Yeah, good luck.

Speaking of Slaking, Regigigas now is somewhat viable thanks to access to Role Play, allowing him to remove Slow Start and gain an opponent's ability.
Archeops still sucks.

Edit: Can't believe nobody noticed Nasty Plot Nidoking. And it gets Night Daze.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Edit: Can't believe nobody noticed Nasty Plot Nidoking. And it gets Night Daze.
Wow, is there a single OM where Nidoking isn't awesome?

Alakazam finally gets Aura Sphere. Awesome.

Belly Drum Breloom seems good, or it would if it wasn't so frail. Still, it can be great if you switch it into Chansey or something else with no offensive presence whatsoever. Mega-Banette is probably the biggest BD threat with its sky-high attack and STAB Shadow Sneak. Besides these two viable Belly Drummers include Blaziken (which is banned), Basculin with its speed and Adaptability-boosted Aqua Jet, Bisharp with its gain of Bullet Punch (the only other Steel-types who get BulletDrum are Bastiodon and Bronzong, none of which are known for there offensive presence, but you could try to suprise the enemy.) and Beartic with the equivalent of a STAB Aqua-Jet in the rain.
All of these benefit greatly from Bolt Strike, and Blue Flare can be used by Beheeyem

Carracosta, Cloyster and Cincinno get Close Combat to finally get through Steel-types. Conkeldurr also gets it, but most will probably prefer Drain Punch.

Dragon Dance Darmanitan looks terrifying, and Drain Punch seems like a decent alternative to Superpower if you want to gain staying power at the expense of raw strength. Doublade gets Dynamicpunch and can therefore use No Guard properly.

Escavalier gets Earthquake and Excadrill can go boom.

Feraligatr and Flygon get Fusion Bolt.

Gastrodon can beat other Gastrodon with Giga Drain.

Haxorus gets Hi Jump Kick and Heatran gets Heal Order. Besides that, nothing very interesting in H.

Machamp and Meoletta get Mach Punch. Besides that, there's suprisingly little brought by M. Metagross gets recovery, but that's pretty much it

Porygon-Z can finally use Psystrike to break through Blissey. Porygon2, on the other hand, can abuse Parting Shot.

S-mons should probably get banned. Not only do they get amazing support, but their offenses are also incredible with Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Superpower, Spacial Rend, Sacred Fire, Scald, and the dreaded Scratch.

I've been looking around T, and I've realised that Tornadus, Thundurus and Togekiss get Tail Glow. The latter even gets Baton Pass. Thundurus is now the only Topsy-Turvy Prankster, which makes it amazing.
Tyranitar and Tangrowth can now setup Trick Room. Tyranitar is the only TR setter that completely destroys Ghosts, which gives it a defenite niche.

Unown now has 3 legal moves, including U-Turn. Horray!

V doesn't get many things, but what it does get is great. V-Create Venusaur and Victreebell sound absolutely terrifying, especially since they get priority in the form of Vaccum Wave. Virizon and Volcarona can probably use Vaccum Wave very well, and Volt Switch Vaporeon sounds funny.

Wobuffet gets Wish, Whirlwind and Will-O-Wisp. That's pretty scary. It also gets Water Spout, which is not. In fact, nothing in W has the speed or special attack to pull of a Water Spout. I guess there's Whiscash afer a Dragon Dance, but that's it.
This seems like a fun meta, but it's a little imbalanced. Then again, OMs are rarely balanced to begin with.

Edit :
Oh, and there's Belly Drum Baton Pass Blissey and Bronzong.
I can't really see this working too well for obvious reasons on Bronzong, but Blissey might have the defenses to pull this crazy stunt off. It also has realible recovery, which means it can do this more than once.

Archeops still sucks.
Well, it has priority now, and can go mixed more easily with Aeroblast. But it's not noticeably better.

Last edited:
[G]
A lot of things now get Geomancy; notable users include Gengar, Goodra, Galvantula, Gastrodon, Glaceon, Greninja, and Gothitelle (hint hint Shadow Tag hint hint). Gorebyss could Baton Pass a Geomancy boost instead of a Shell Smash boost if it wants to give something massive special bulk as well as power and speed.
continued...

[H]
Hydreigon, Heliolisk and Houndoom get Hurricane... 'nuff said. Oh, and Heatran gets Heal Order. Hippowdon could become a cleric with Hell Bell in combination with Slack Off / Heal Order and its natural bulk. Honchkrow can now rip through opponents with Hi Jump Kick.

[I.]
Infernape can use various Ice moves including Ice Beam, Ice Shard, Ice Punch and Icicle Crash on any of its sets to rip Dragons and Gliscor to shreds.

[J]
Jolteon can use Judgement with either a Flame or Icicle Plate for massively powerful coverage; Jellicent, Jynx (who also gets a reliable Sleep move) and Jirachi can use this too but Jolteon does this best. Jirachi's physical sets could use Jump Kick for those blasted Steel and Dark types.

[K]
Kingdra, Kabutops, Kyurem-B and Klinklang all appreciate Knock Off on their physical sweeping sets; Klefki could use it to become even more annoying than the bastard thing already is.

[L]
Latias stalls with Leech Seed and both Ion twins can finally use Lava Plume to KO Steel types; Lilligant also appreciates Lava Plume for some actually decent coverage on its Quiver Dance sets. Liepard gets a priority Leech Seed, Lovely Kiss and Light Screen to royally p*ss you off. Luxray can use Leaf Blade to crush the Water/Ground Pokemon, while Lucario / Mega Lucario can use it to rip apart the bulky Waters who can usually tank its attacks.

[M]
Machamp finally gets Mach Punch and both it and Mamoswine have nabbed Meteor Mash to rip apart Fairy types (and maybe get an attack boost while they're at it). (Mega) Medicham can use Mach Punch too, and Metagross gets Megahorn along with fairly reliable recovery in Moonlight / Morning Sun. Mismagius can blow away Darks with Moonblast, and Moltres can have fun with Muddy Water for opposing Fire types. Malamar might like one of the physical moves on its sets for specific threats (like Mach Punch to take down weakened pokemon afetr a Superpower boost), although it isn't totally necessary.

[N]
Ninjask can now Baton Pass Nasty Plot boosts if it so desires, and Noivern can sweep or even wallbreak with Nasty Plot in its repertoire. Nidoking and Nidoqueen might enjoy Night Daze on their Sheer Force sets.

[O]
Omastar can enjoy having Oblivion Wing on its Shell Smash sets to break down Grass types; and has advantages over Ice Beam (Oblivion Wing hits Mega Venusaur and also heals Omastar). It also rips most Fighting and Bug types to shreds.

[P]
Porygon-Z / Porygon2 can use Psystrike to annihilate Special walls like Blissey, though the lack of STAB will probably mean using it in conjunction with Nasty Plot to make full use of it.

[R]
Raikou becomes arguably the best offensive Rapid Spinner ever, while Roserade, Reuniclus and Rhydon / Ryperior can use it in conjunction with their bulk and / or access to other entry hazards to become great utility Pokemon. A lot of bulky Pokemon such as the aforementioned Rhyperior, the Regi's and the Rotom formes all get Recover / Roost too, making them very difficult to take out in the hands of a smart player.

[S.]
Sableye gets Prankster Spore (among other things) because it's just not annoying enough to deal with, and can also use Spiky Shield over Protect if you fancy. A lot of physical attackers such as Scolipede, Samurott, Salamence, Scrafty, Sharpedo, Staraptor and Swampert get access to the amazing Sacred Fire. Basically anything you want could use Sticky Web or Stealth Rock, in particular Sableye, who is immune to Rapid Spin and gets priority on these moves. Sceptile appreciates Sludge Wave on its special sweeping sets and can also use Spacial Rend if it wants. Scarafty and Sharpedo get STAB Sucker Punch, and Skarmory loves screwing opposing walls over with a Super Fang + Toxic combination. Anything listed here (and others) can now use Switcheroo too, if you are one of those players.

Oh, and Slaking gets Skill Swap. Have fun.

[T]
Thundurus, Tornadus (and their Therian forms), Togekiss and Typhlosion can use Tail Glow and rip walls to shreds; Typhlosion also appreciates Thunderbolt for the annoying Water types it frequently faces. Talonflame gets a lightning-fast Taunt, and you could pick from a decent selection of Toxic Spikes users now.

[U.]
Ursaring gets a Guts-boosted U-Turn for powerful pivoting; there's not much else here though.

[V]
(Mega) Venusaur likes having Volt Switch or Volt Tackle for incoming Talonflames, and physical Virizion loves V-Create. Volcarona, Vivillon and Venomoth all get access to Volt Switch should you want to test the waters before using Quiver Dance or Sleep Powder. Chlorophyll Venusaur and Victreebel with Growth love abusing sun-boosted V-Creates.

[W]
Weavile can use Water Shuriken or Waterfall for Fire types or pack Wild Charge for Gyarados, and Wobbuffet becomes hella annoying with Will-O-Wisp.

[Y]
Yveltal is already good at forcing plays with its typing, access to moves Sucker Punch and Taunt and its general bulk (augmented by Roost); Yawn would simply make it even better at this, especially in conjunction with entry hazrads... could be a top-notch annoyer in Ubers.

Phew, that's a lot of awesome stuff.

Last edited:
S-mons should probably get banned. Not only do they get amazing support, but their offenses are also incredible with Swords Dance, Sucker Punch, Superpower, Spacial Rend, Sacred Fire, Scald, and the dreaded Scratch.
Regarding a potential ban on the letter S, having read the comments on here thus far and talked to some others through PS, I have decided to now discuss how bans will play out in this tier. Firstly, I'm announcing the first test:

Once an Alphabet Cup ladder is established on a server, voting on bans of the letter S will begin.

Vote Alphabet cup OMotM
While this sounds like an episode of Sesame Street gone wrong, I had planned on an S suspect test before the metagame began. Having now confirmed that it wasn't just me who thought that they're slightly detrimental, an analysis of S's impact on the metagame will begin once a ladder is established for some time. After which, a ban vote will occur. Having the ladder allows people to play in a controlled manner instead of asking for battles in the OM room on PS.

I'm reluctant to ban S fully, because immediately wiping out 103 Pokemon from the metagame is huge. Remember that S is only broken because of the moves it provides: Some of the Pokemon in that category may still be viable without their moves.

As such, when a ban on a letter will be imposed, moves will be banned, not users. This does not mean that individual Pokemon may not be suspected; if it is found that one such Pokemon is overcentralising it can be subject to a vote. For blanket bans of letters, moves not naturally learned will be banned.

When a vote for a blanket ban on a letter begins, multiple bold voting will occur with the following categories:
-No ban
-Ban (letter)-status
-Ban (letter)-physical
-Ban (letter)-special

Each vote for a ban is weighted 1. This means that you can vote to ban all three categories of moves, and they will each count for 1 to the total. Obviously, you cannot vote "No ban" and a ban option. If the number of votes conducted for a certain ban divided by the number of users who have voted is greater than 50%, a ban will occur. A majority is necessary: having exactly 50% will not constitute a ban.

Here's an example:
30 users participate in voting.
14 users vote No Ban.
16 users vote Physical Ban.
14 users vote Special Ban.
15 users vote Status Ban.

In the above example, only a Physical Ban takes place, and Physical moves of this letter can no longer be used in Alphabet Cup, being cast to the (imaginary) Alphabet Cup Ubers. Status Ban did not achieve a majority vote and it remains unbanned.

And a final note on bans: Pokemon which learn a banned move naturally can still use the move. Smeargle can still be used, with his plethora of moves, outclassed as he may be. I'll be updating the OP to reflect some of what I've said here.

Last edited:
continued...
[M]
Machamp finally gets Mach Punch and both it and Mamoswine have nabbed Meteor Mash to rip apart Fairy types (and maybe get an attack boost while they're at it). (Mega) Medicham can use Mach Punch too, and Metagross gets Megahorn along with fairly reliable recovery in Moonlight / Morning Sun. Mismagius can blow away Darks with Moonblast, and Moltres can have fun with Muddy Water for opposing Fire types. Malamar might like one of the physical moves on its sets for specific threats (like Mach Punch to take down weakened pokemon afetr a Superpower boost), although it isn't totally necessary.
Milk Drink

So guys if anyone of you want to get something fun out of the letter C let me recommend you Circle Throw Coil Cresselia para shuffler.
Absolutely amazing with Drapion Supporter for ghosts.

And honestly when it comes to letter S the only move that might need ban is Shell Smash cause it causes everything with S to become death incarnate.
More stealth rocker, spikes, spore, etc isn't as bad as the shell smashes.

Gosh everyone's noticed everything cool already.

A thing I'm disappointed with is there's no good abuser of Heart Swap for stealing enemy boosts, nothing really fast gets it, so to use it for that purpose you would need to run focus sash. The problem with that is I think a lot of mons will end up running multi hit moves like Bonemerang, Dual Chop, Gear Grind etc. Although I could see Dmeteor/Super power/Heart Swap hydreigon being fun, but quite underpowered.

PZ and P2 now get psystrike which might be cool.

Scolipede as a baton passer has all the good stuff like spore and shift gear, but it can also be extra annoying with spiky shield!

Also disappointed nothing gets Oblivion Wing, Omastar can use it as a cool way to regain his health but Omastar will be severely outclassed as a shell smasher in this meta.

And honestly when it comes to letter S the only move that might need ban is Shell Smash cause it causes everything with S to become death incarnate.
More stealth rocker, spikes, spore, etc isn't as bad as the shell smashes.
This is why there will be an analysis before a ban vote occurs. Naturally people are assuming S is overpowered. Now, this is without a ladder, without somewhere people can encounter common threats and figure out counters. Before the vote occurs, we'll be better able to analyse the meta, focusing on what S brings to the table and whether it is indeed broken as all hell. After that, if the blanket ban comes out as a majority no ban, then we'll look closer as to why this letter is such an issue.

Well, if Shell Smash goes rogue, there's a simple solution: Unaware. However, there are few users, let alone good users.

Fairy
95/70/73/95/90/60

Clefable is, hands down, the best user, since it has better stats, nice Fairy typing, and Circle Throw or Clear Smog to reset Shell Smash's boosts.

Water/Ground
95/85/85/65/65/35

Quagsire gets quasi nothing new from the metagame, its viable options limited to Quick Attack and Quiver Dance. Even then, with base 65 Special Attack and base 35 Speed, it's not going anywhere as far as special sweeping. However, it does have a sufficient special movepool (Scald, Earth Power, Ice Beam), and Quiver Dance could provide a means to patch up its paltry base 65 Special Defense.

Psychic/Flying
67/57/55/77/55/114

Ever seen an Unaware Swoobat? Yeah, it's the sort of thing you only hear about in-game. 67/55/55 defenses are extremely unimpressive, not to mention Swoobat is weak to three forms of priority (Ice Shard, Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak), but it does get interesting new tools in Stockpile and Seismic Toss and has the fastest Speed of any Unaware user.

While Bibarel would be better with Unaware in its Belly Drum set, it has nonexistent bulk and, well, Belly Drum.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something important...

Another solution is, as many people have mentioned, Topsy-Turvy Tornadus/Thundurus Incarnate. They, however, are weak to Ice Shard and pretty darn frail (i.e. prone to other forms of priority). Then again, I've never seen how bulky/frail the genies can be. Calcs, anyone?

Last edited:
Some more fun (but not necessarily good) gains:
Mega-Aggron --> Amnesia
Doublade --> Defend Order/Defog/Dragon Tail/Dynamic Punch (courtesy of No Guard, 100% accurate)
Parasect --> Perish Song/Powder (to take advantage of that 5x fire weakness)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There is such a ridiculous amount of broken S-moves that I personally believe we should ban the entire letter. Shell Smash, Spore, and Sticky Web alone are enough to make a pokemon OU, but having all of these on the same Pokemon is absolutely nuts.
The main problem isn't one or two overpowered moves, or that merely the offensive side is great. If that was the case, specific bans can be understood. But it has absolutely EVERYTHING you could possibly want. The best boosting move in Shell Smash, the best status move in Spore, the (arguably) best priority move in Sucker Punch, the best utility-driven physical move in Sacred Fire, the best utility-driven special move in Scald, reliable recovery in Slack Off, a ton of great offensive moves, and every single entry hazard. The only moves missing are V-Create and U-Turn and that's it.

If we are to remove individual moves from the collective movepool, we'll pretty much have to remove everything for it not to be broken.

But we should make a poll. How can we make a poll? Seriously, I have no idea...

There is such a ridiculous amount of broken S-moves that I personally believe we should ban the entire letter. Shell Smash, Spore, and Sticky Web alone are enough to make a pokemon OU, but having all of these on the same Pokemon is absolutely nuts.
The main problem isn't one or two overpowered moves, or that merely the offensive side is great. If that was the case, specific bans can be understood. But it has absolutely EVERYTHING you could possibly want. The best boosting move in Shell Smash, the best status move in Spore, the (arguably) best priority move in Sucker Punch, the best utility-driven physical move in Sacred Fire, the best utility-driven special move in Scald, reliable recovery in Slack Off, a ton of great offensive moves, and every single entry hazard. The only moves missing are V-Create and U-Turn and that's it.

If we are to remove individual moves from the collective movepool, we'll pretty much have to remove everything for it not to be broken.

But we should make a poll. How can we make a poll? Seriously, I have no idea...
Like I said previously, before I start any bans, I would prefer to wait until a ladder is established, begin an analysis on the letter and if there's effective checks and counters (some people have pulled out good ones already). Realistically, in my opinion, the issue stems from Spore, Shell Smash, and Sacred Fire. I don't think a full blanket ban will be necessary, but since people want a ban, I'm going to let it be suspected. Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks more manageable as time goes by, even if S mons get a massive buff in this meta.

As for making a poll... As far as I'm aware I can't. Which is why I'll be using multiple bold voting by response to the thread. It's the best one can do.

On another note, my favourite little bird has become very, very awesome:

Murkrow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Jolly Nature, 252HP/252Spe/4anything else
-Tailwind
-Memento
-Foul Play
-Haze

Setting Tailwind and using Memento to get out free leaves a sweeper with three turns to cause chaos: perhaps something slow and powerful that's about to Shell Smash and end things. Foul Play is standard fare for Dark Pranksters (no Swagger!) and priority Haze was always one of my favourite things. Murkrow still has the niche of being a priority hazer (even though Thundurus-I arguably does better with Topsy-Turvy).

For clearing hazards I think Raikou may be a good rapid spinner, with Shadow Ball to beat ghosts and a good speed tier for spinning. The Rotoms might also be decent rapid spinners since I think Rapid Spin and Voltswitch go together very well, letting you scout out enemy switches if you think a spinblocker is going to come in.

Dugtrio has the strange niche of being able to trap and clear hazards with Defog (with an SR resistance to boot). I see Bisharp becoming quite relevant in this meta, so making the opponent unable to switch Bisharp into defog may be a worthwhile niche?

Also espeon has encore which I find funny, can be used for magic bounce shenanigans, although he probably doesn't have room for that on his sets.

I was making this post about hazard clearing (since so many mons are going to be easily set hazards), but I just realised every E mon gets both Endeavour and Extreme Speed. Surprise FEAR ahoy.

What about doing what eevee general did way back to normal types in stabmons? That is limiting it to one s move per s pokemon.
Hm. This is possible, but a lot of things can thrive with a single move (Sableye with Spore, most attackers don't care about losing Sacred Fire in lieu of Shell Smash, Sawsbuck's 100% burn Sacred Fire, etc). In fact, the only examples of a Pokemon who needs two moves I can think of are Slaking, who needs Skill Swap and extra coverage, and Scolipede who can run a Smeargle-esque passing set with Spore and Shell Smash. Most others thrive with one move.

It could work, but I'm not sure. After the ladder is up, more decisions will have to be made on how to approach the ban. A blanket ban would probably be majority no because of how manageable things are in perspective.

That said, everything regarding this ban is shooting in the dark until the meta is a little more solidified.

Thoughts:

Mega Manectric with Milk Drink
Hitmontop with Heal Order
Heatran with Heal Order
Registeel with Roost
Porygon 2 with Parting Shot
Whimsicott with Will-O-Wisp
Shuckle with many great S moves (Slack Off)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)