Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FlyThai that is an awesome set. I am definitely going to try it out. Have you thought about pairing it with wish support at all? Seems really nice for a pokemon that could get worn down pretty quickly. That alongside leech seed support could mean a pretty unbreakable gyarados.

FlyThai that is an awesome set. I am definitely going to try it out. Have you thought about pairing it with wish support at all? Seems really nice for a pokemon that could get worn down pretty quickly. That alongside leech seed support could mean a pretty unbreakable gyarados.
Yes Wish support would be awesome on it. i never tried it though but its a sure thing. Especially considering that Gyarados can take essentially any blow minus electric moves with no problems. Personally I run it aside with Goodra as well to create a dual tank combo. it but the third teamslot member is purely up to you for overall synergy. But this Gyarados works best with Ferrothorn

Last edited:
I made a post on this in the underrated sets a long time ago. Gyarados paired with Ferrothorn makes a great Defensive core with Gyarados serving as a mixed wall with assault vest + intimidate. This is the set i run on my absolute hands down best wifi team

With Intimidate, Max HP, half on def and rest on attack with an adamant nature + assault vest this Gyarados essentially checks most of the offensive Meta

EV spread:252 HP, 150 Def, Rest Attack
Nature:Adamant
Ability: Intimidate
Item:Assault Vest
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Dragontail

Pokemon that this set counters include: Talonflame, Greninja, Aegislash (three most used pokes right there), Mega Lucario, Charizard X and Charizard Y, Garchomp, Dragonite, Infernape, Scizor, Mega Alakazam, Conkeldurr, Gengar......eh should i keep going?

This is all due to my experience. I've countered all these pokemon flawlessly with this set. Paired with Ferrothorn and Leech Seed support the core has been damn near unbreakable defensively

With that said, because this Gyarados can counter so many threats its important to pick out the one which is the biggest threat to your team so it wont be worn down to much. And make sure Ferrothorn passes leech seed to it as much as possible. Based on my experience this Gyarados tends to counter at least two pokes per battle which is more than enough for your team to counter attack
Great core, only 2 problems.

1) How do you deal with burns? Do you have a cleric or something on your team?

2) Rotom-H 252 SpA Rotom-H Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gyarados: 336-400 (85.2 - 101.5%)
252 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 640-760 (181.8 - 215.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 472-564 (134 - 160.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Great core, only 2 problems.

1) How do you deal with burns? Do you have a cleric or something on your team?

2) Rotom-H 252 SpA Rotom-H Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gyarados: 336-400 (85.2 - 101.5%)
252 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 640-760 (181.8 - 215.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 472-564 (134 - 160.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Personally I run Goodra along with that core with my top team. Goodra easily dispatches Rotom H or allows me to retain momentum if they decide to switch.

I also run Flash Fire Chandelure. Because i think its damn underrated. But that was to take more pressure off of my Ferrothorn and Bisharp from fighting moves without having to rely on Gyarados and it absorbs fire moves that they weak to and burns that Gyarados and Bisharp hates.

But if you want to run a different team than mine having wish and heal bell support would be awesome with the core. I just dont find many situations when using my main team to worry about it.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

This is a set I made for my buddy that loves Gengar. This set is made to get 2 surprise KOs with Counter and Destiny Bond, which gives you an instant advantage. Taunt is there to keep stallers away. The beauty of this set is that it's unexpected, but that doesn't make it any less viable.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability : Natural Cure
EVs : 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Nature : Bold
- Toxic
- Block
-Seismic toss
- Soft-Boiled

This allows for me to either make the opponent run out of pp or stall long enough, it works well against CharY especially

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt

This is a set I made for my buddy that loves Gengar. This set is made to get 2 surprise KOs with Counter and Destiny Bond, which gives you an instant advantage. Taunt is there to keep stallers away. The beauty of this set is that it's unexpected, but that doesn't make it any less viable.
gengar's HP stat is really low, with no investment counter will be doing fairly laughable damage. it's why it is not worth running on things like hitmontop and stuff.

As unusual as this looks, I've tested it and it works extremely well.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Snore

In this set, you've got 404/278/293 bulk, setup sweeping, recovery, status absorption, Serene Grace paraflinch and Substitute infiltration all rolled into one. On top of that, its typing gives it only two weaknesses and it doesn't really mind Knock Offs and U-Turns much, which are the two most common Dark/Bug moves in OU. Normal/Electric isn't exactly the best dual type coverage you can get, but the resistances hardly matter once you've got enough boosts, which isn't hard to do, and the only two outright immune Pokémon are scarcely seen in OU. Having to shift between asleep and awake looks problematic on paper, but in practice it's not really a hassle since most opponents won't be doing a huge amount to Meloetta either (read: bulk, typing, SDef boosts, recovery).

EDIT: Almost every Serene Grace Pokémon can do this, but only Meloetta, Blissey and Dunsparce have any form of STAB and Blissey and Dunsparce are Blissey and Dunsparce.

Last edited:
Assault Vest Eelektross:

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Discharge
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Dragon Tail

Basically, come in and start messing with the opponent, knocking off their items and throwing in discharge damage and possible paralysis. Dragon Tail brings out a new victim to do the same, while U-turn will switch Eelektross out to come in later on something new. Eelektross is also very slow and this set is pretty bulky, so the slow U-turn makes Eelektross a great way to give a frail pokemon a free switch in.

Eelektross has a niche in this role in that it has no real exploitable weaknesses. With good physical and special defenses and no type weaknesses, it means Eelektross can Dragon Tail out a new pokemon and most of the time, it will not fear its moves too much. Unlike a phaser like Mandibuzz for example, who would not want to bring out something with electric, Ice fairy and rock moves, or Skarmory who doesn't want to bring out a strong special attacker.

There are a lot of other move options as well. Eelektross has a decent attack from just about every type under the sun, so if you have a problem with a specific pokemon, Eelektross probably has a coverage option to hit it super effective. The hide tag below lists all the types where Eelektross has a 75+ base power move.
Electric: Discharge, Thunderbolt, Thunder Punch, Volt Switch
Fire: Flamethrower, Fire Punch
Water: Aqua Tail
Grass: Giga Drain, Grass Knot
Fighting: Drain Punch, Superpower
Bug: U-Turn, Signal Beam
Dark: Knock Off, Crunch
Flying: Bounce, Acrobatics
Dragon: Dragon Claw, Dragon Tail
Rock: Rock Slide
Steel: Flash Cannon, Iron Tail
Normal: Return

And as always there's still Hidden Power.

As for other attacks with some utility, Volt Switch is a way to combine Discharge and U-turn into one slot and free up something else. Giga Drain and Drain Punch are both in its movepool but you'll find you either won't do enough damage with them, or you reserve it for hitting stuff super effectively and don't use it often enough to get significant healing. Still, since they are Eelektross's only hope of extending its HP bar outside of direct teammate support (wish etc), they're worth a mention. Acid Spray makes Eelektross a wall breaker, but you're probably better off U-turning out to something that can hit the wall better. Same with Charge Beam and Power-Up Punch. Finally, super fang can also take a big chunk out of a wall.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I copy/pasted this from something I posted in RMT. It is a very overlooked set.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover

This set focuses on Starmie's natural strengths over Greninja, bulk and Rapid Spin. Use Natural Cure over Analytic, because that makes Starmie double as a status absorber.

^ that Starmie set is far from underrated. Bulky spinner Starmie was one of the main sets last gen iirc. The only thing new with that set is the EV spread, which I'm not sure is the most efficient, ie requires further test and calculations.

I will talk about some underrated sets about my trademark pokemon, Nymphia/Sylveon, and aftert that, the rest of the Fairy types.

Calm Mind set
Nymphia @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate nature: Modest/Calm
EV: 252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Hyper Voice
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic/HP Ground/HP Fire/Toxic/Heal Bell/Wish

Assault Vest
Nymphia 2 Assault Vest
Ability: Cute Charm Nature: Bold
EV: 252 HP 252 Def 4 SpD
-Draining Kiss
-Moonblast
-Shadow Ball
-Psyshock

More gimmicky sets for fairy-types. Start with Azumarill (which we always have Huger Power as a ability; 50 Atk/60 SpA
Life Orb
Azumarill Life Orb
Nature: Modest
EV: 252 HP 252 Atk, 4 Def
-Aqua Jet
-Waterfall
-Play Rough
-Super Power

Togekiss (That things has an ample movepool)
Choice Specs
Togekiss @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace. Nature Modest
EV: 60 HP, 252 SpA, 196 Spe (Tentative)
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Aura Sphere/Shadow Ball

Assault Vest
Togekiss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace Nature: Bold
EV: 252 HP 132 Def 124 SpD
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam
-Fire Blast
-Shadow Ball

Offensive Nasty Plot
Ability: Serene grace Nature: Modest
Togekiss @ Life Orb
EV: 4 HP 252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere/Fire Blast
-Dazzling Gleam

Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene grace Nature: Timid
Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
EV 4 Hp 252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere
-Dazzling Gleam
-Fire Blast

Baton Pass
Togekiss @ leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace Nature: Bold
EV: 252 Hp 132 Def 124 SpD
-Nasty Plot
-Wish
-Air Slash
-Baton pass

Super Luck
Togekiss @ Scope lens
EV: 60 HP, 252 SpA, 192 Spe
Ability: Super Luck Nature: Modest
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam
-Aura Sphere
-Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot/Roost

Ediot: There's 2 more
Nasty Plot Balanced
Togekiss @ Leftovers
EV: 252 HP 252 SpA 4 Spe
Ability: Serene grace Nature: modest
-Nasty Plot
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam
-Aura Sphere/Thunder Wave/Roost

Mega Mawile
Hazard Setter
Mawile @Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate Nature: Adamant
EV: 252 HP 128 Atk, 128 SDef
Stealth Rock
Iron Head
Play Rough
Sucker Punch

Trick Room
Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate Nature: Brave
EV: 252 HP 252 Atk 4 SpD Speed IV: 0
Play Rough
Iron Head
Knock off/Stone Edge/Sucker Punch/Crunch
Swords Dance/Knock Off

Gardevoir/Mega Gardevoir

Screen Gardevoir 2
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronoise Nature: Modest/Timid
EV. 128 HP 132 SpA 252 Spe
Reflect
Light Screen/Healing Wish/Calm Mind
Hyper Voice
Psyshock/Focus Blast

Gardevoir 4 Attacks
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronoise Nature: Timid
EV. 52 HP 204 SpA 252 Spe
Hyper Voice/Moonblast
Psyshock/Psyshic
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt/Energy Ball/Shadow Ball

Now Clefable

L
ife orb
Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard Nature: Modest
EV: 252 HP 252 SpA 4 Spe
Calm Mind
Moonblast
Fire Blast
Psychic/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam

Calm Mind Defensive
Clefable @ leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard/Unaware Nature: Bold
EV. 252 Hp 220 Def 36 SpA
Clam Mind
Moonblast
Wish/Softboiled*
Cosmic Power/Thunder Wave/Toxic/Protect
*Illegal with Softboiled

Fully Defensive
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard Nature: Calm
EV. 252 HP 252 Def 4 SpD
Cosmic Power
Softboiled
Thunder Wave/Toxic
Seismic Toss/Moonblast

Klefki

Trick set
Klefki Choice Band /Scarf/Specs
EV: 252 Hp 128 Def, 60 SpA/60 Atk, 72 SpD
Ability: Prankster Nature: Bold/Impish/Calm/Careful
Switcheroo
Dazzling Gleam/Play Rough
Thunder Wave
Spikes/Taunt/flash Cannon/Swagger
Curiosity: I actually put Iron Head,forgetting that is Not on the level up movepool. It can be in the tutored movepool.

Calm Mind
Klefki Leftovers
Ability: Prankster Nature: Bold
EV. 252 HP 124 Def 132 SpA
Calm Mind
Dazzling Gleam
Flash cannon
Thunder Wave/Taunt/Spikes

Slurpuff
Belly Drum Sweeper
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry/Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EV. 4 HP 252 Atk, 200 Spe, 56 SpA (Note: I want to outspeed Scarf Garchomp)
-Belly Drum
-Play Rough
-Return
-Flamethrower

Not Viable: Wigglytuff, Granbull, Dedenne.

Last edited:
Roserade
W/ Choice Specs
A/ Natural Cure
N/ Timid
Leaf Storm
Dazzling Gleam/Sludge Bomb
Hidden Power (Fire)
Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Sludge Bomb

This thing hits really hard with specs and can still do its job as a spikes setter. Leaf storm hits like a truck, dazzling gleam gets surprising coverage whereas sludge bomb is a reliable STAB, HP Fire is there because it needs it desperately for coverage and the last slot is for what you want for your team.

Scarf would also work, as well as using Technician over natural cure for a boost on Hidden Power. EVs are 252SpA 4Def 252Spe

KAWWARK (Archeops) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Now this here is a neat and definitely unexpected set. It outspeeds and OHKOs lead genesect here is the calc:
4 SpA Archeops Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 316-376 (111.6 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This guy is a good lead not only against genesects but also the lead SR lando a HP ice does around 66% and after they have rocks up they are left with a crippled lando. After running some calculations more SAtk investment does not do much it still :
4 SpA Archeops Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 244-288 (68.9 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
4 SpA Archeops Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 220-260 (61.4 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
However Archeops is the most fragile little prehistoric bird around and you need to either predict like a monster or hit and run. 252 Attack of 140 base on a U-turn hits hard. and a scarf on base 110 is outspeeding a lot of threats.

I have used it and it as a great revenge killer, hit and run, and lead all in one. worth a try.

KAWWARK (Archeops) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 Atk
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Now this here is a neat and definitely unexpected set. It outspeeds and OHKOs lead genesect here is the calc:
4 SpA Archeops Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Genesect: 316-376 (111.6 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This guy is a good lead not only against genesects but also the lead SR lando a HP ice does around 66% and after they have rocks up they are left with a crippled lando. After running some calculations more SAtk investment does not do much it still :
4 SpA Archeops Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 244-288 (68.9 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
4 SpA Archeops Hidden Power Ice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 220-260 (61.4 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
However Archeops is the most fragile little prehistoric bird around and you need to either predict like a monster or hit and run. 252 Attack of 140 base on a U-turn hits hard. and a scarf on base 110 is outspeeding a lot of threats.

I have used it and it as a great revenge killer, hit and run, and lead all in one. worth a try.
If only archeops didn't have defeatist... It would be such a beast

Well yeah, which is why I mentioned don't keeping him in, hit and run attacker and the such. if its any consolation prize there is a good chance he is just going to die not go down to below half health. So defeatist is kind of moot.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Taillow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 1
Adamant Nature
- Endeavor
- Toxic
- Protect
- Sleep Talk/Whirlwind

I know you're thinking I'm a noob, (and I probably am) but hear me out. In this generation and the last I've been pleasantly surprised at how good it is as a lead and ghost bait F.E.A.R. Taillow is. If the opponet could have Fake Out, use Protect first. After that, or if they don't have Fake Out, spam Endeavor. Your opponent will accept the loss of a Pokemon, attempt to use flinching or Paralysis to prevent you from attacking, switch to a ghost type to block Endeavor only to have it hit because of Scrappy, or switch out to attempt to save the first Pokemon for death fodder later. If Taillow uses Endeavor without taking damage, switch it out to ether use as death fodder latter, or cripple another Pokemon. Due to Leftovers, Toxic is way more useful than Quick Attack could ever be. The last move is filler. You can use Whirlwind to force out opponents, but that was better in Gen V. Sleep Talk is also usable for a 33% chance to use Endeavor while asleep. With how common leftovers, priority users, and opponents that set up are Quick Attack is useless. I know it sounds crazy to use a F.E.A.R. Pokemon without Priority, but itworks better without Quick Attack. Taillow works best on a team that could use ghost bait and functions well without its sixth member.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Y'know, I'd probably make the last move Quick Attack anyway; even though it isn't useful in most situations, Sleep Talk and Whirlwind are even more situational on a Lv1 Pokémon. 33% chance of hitting Endeavour? If Taillow is asleep it's dead. You might hit Toxic on something that's immune to it or already poisoned (very common), you might get Endeavour on something with 1 HP (if it's doing it's job right, this is possible too). Protect? Yeah, you stalled a turn. That's cool, but nothing's been achieved. Putting a phazing move on something with defenses like that is also a bad idea for obvious reasons. If you phase out something that tried to setup on you, great, but it can come back later knowing it can just hit with anything and you'll die. Scrappy Quick Attack is the main reason to use this, though. Say an Autotomize Aegislash is setting up on you. It has the speed boost but you Endeavoured it as you did so. Without Quick Attack, you're sunk: it's immune to Toxic, so it easily tops your Lv1 Pokémon as it tries to Whirlwind and goes on to sweep your team. It certainly has it's uses. Many more things are immune to Toxic than ScrappyQuick Attack.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
As unusual as this looks, I've tested it and it works extremely well.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Snore

In this set, you've got 404/278/293 bulk, setup sweeping, recovery, status absorption, Serene Grace paraflinch and Substitute infiltration all rolled into one. On top of that, its typing gives it only two weaknesses and it doesn't really mind Knock Offs and U-Turns much, which are the two most common Dark/Bug moves in OU. Normal/Electric isn't exactly the best dual type coverage you can get, but the resistances hardly matter once you've got enough boosts, which isn't hard to do, and the only two outright immune Pokémon are scarcely seen in OU. Having to shift between asleep and awake looks problematic on paper, but in practice it's not really a hassle since most opponents won't be doing a huge amount to Meloetta either (read: bulk, typing, SDef boosts, recovery).

EDIT: Almost every Serene Grace Pokémon can do this, but only Meloetta, Blissey and Dunsparce have any form of STAB and Blissey and Dunsparce are Blissey and Dunsparce.
Why snore? (Also does snore work on showdown yet?)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Togekiss would sometimes run Rest+Snore in Gen IV and V, back when it was Normal-type. It's always been a thing, although it never saw tons of use because Air Slash+Roost was generally better.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Y'know, I'd probably make the last move Quick Attack anyway; even though it isn't useful in most situations, Sleep Talk and Whirlwind are even more situational on a Lv1 Pokémon. 33% chance of hitting Endeavour? If Taillow is asleep it's dead.
As I said, the last move is filler. What I meant by that is you will never use it. Although I do admit Whirlwind is useless without suicide leads in the metagame and Sleep Talk is about as useless, but as common as Leftovers are, Quick Attack is about as equally useless. It's still seems useful against pokemon that don't have Leftovers or priority, but opponents will usually predict the Quick Attack and switch.
You might hit Toxic on something that's immune to it or already poisoned (very common), you might get Endeavour on something with 1 HP (if it's doing it's job right, this is possible too).
I know it really seems crazy not to run Quick Attack, but in my experience, Toxic has been more useful and you can use a revenge killer after Taillow faints if you don't have Quick Attack.
Protect? Yeah, you stalled a turn. That's cool, but nothing's been achieved.
I just use it against Pokemon that could have Fake Out.
Putting a phazing move on something with defenses like that is also a bad idea for obvious reasons. If you phase out something that tried to setup on you, great, but it can come back later knowing it can just hit with anything and you'll die.
It was okay in Gen 5 before Deoxys got banned because it you could use Endeavor then Whirlwind while they use entry hazards, but in Gen 6, I actually agree with this.
Scrappy Quick Attack is the main reason to use this, though. Say an Autotomize Aegislash is setting up on you. It has the speed boost but you Endeavoured it as you did so. Without Quick Attack, you're sunk: it's immune to Toxic, so it easily tops your Lv1 Pokémon as it tries to Whirlwind and goes on to sweep your team. It certainly has it's uses. Many more things are immune to Toxic than Scrappy Quick Attack.
I know you're thinking I'm a noob, (and I probably am) but hear me out. In this generation and the last I've been pleasantly surprised at how good it is as a lead and ghost bait F.E.A.R. Taillow is.
I use Taillow as a lead and ghost bait. People don't expect scrappy, so they switch in ghost types. If they have Leftovers, Quick Attack is useless. I'd rather spam Endeavor then send out something like Talonflame for the Revenge Kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)