Naruto (Spoilers ITT)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's very refreshing that they don't get into bs illusion battles and that Sasuke actually got stabbed. Hopefully things will start happening though

Did anyone else catch "I'm in Hell" on the anime.

Shit was brutal. I felt like it was almost too much for the show in general... which is awesome.
Its nice to be surprised. You know the more I read the manga, the more I feel like its just a
shitty spoiler for the anime. Maybe it is because of the way I read or imagine the scenes or rush
through it all, but man I feel like the anime is just a much, much greater depiction of the story than the
comic. Do any of you guys feel the same way? Any pro-manga people?
Just trying to stir up some discussion.

So what is that episode in terms of manga chapters? I only tune into the anime dubs if there's a good fight usually, most of them are animated nicely (with the exception of kyuubi Naruto vs Pain, which looked like it was drawn by a mentally handicapped 3 year old with 1 arm and 3 missing fingers).

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The anime is around 55 chapters behind the manga, going over Obito's life and what he did up until the present, so chapter 607 if you want an actual number. Also, god that was the worst style of animation ever way to ruin what should've looked like a good fight.

I dunno, I always assumed if they were to continue Naruto, that it would skip either years ahead to deal with the kids/grandkids or skip a few generations ahead (so that this whole thing is now baked into legend). Though theoretically, this should be the "war to end wars" since you have everyone united, it's just a matter of keeping the peace, so who knows what plot device they could come up with...regardless, it always sucks when a favorite anime/manga is at the end, as some part of you always wants a bit more, unless its nearing ridiculousness like DBZ got to or Bleach to an extent where it's continuing for popularity's sake.

Man, I've heard people complain about the Pain fight before. But I just rewatched most of it again, and the animation was awesome. There was like one bad part of animation where naruto and pain were fist fighting when he lost sage mode, but besides that, the fight was beautifully animated. I liked the darker tone and palette of the fight. The way pain was drawn in motion really captured the essence, power, and the magnitude of each attack and how fast they were going. I have a feeling that one "high ranking" person from a thread complained about it and ruined it for everyone else. It was a beautiful rendition of the fight. I think it was done much better than the manga could ever account for. The fight really used the fundamentals of good animation.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My biggest bitch with the Pain fight's anime is that they had their best animation staff on for the part where Pain was kicking Naruto's ass, but they had shitty animation staff for the first episode of the fight where Naruto is kicking pain's ass. I don't want to see Pain be awesome, the whole point of that fight is to showcase Naruto's awesome sage powers.

The part where Naruto is kicking pain's butt is just meh colored copy/paste from the manga. If they were going to put their most nutz animation staff on this fight and build off the manga to make the fight more epic (like all of Naruto anime's best fight scenes-- see Naruto v. Sasuke at the Valley of the End) should have done it for the part where Naruto is kicking ass (nutz-ass frog katas, nutz-ass rasengan abuse, etc. etc.), not the other way around.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
nihilist big babies get used to Naruto's really generic animation and then don't understand what is going on when someone actually puts art style and fluidity into it. Not that Nine Tails vs. Pain is the best animation I've seen but it's way better by default than most of Naruto.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The part where Naruto is kicking pain's butt is just meh colored copy/paste from the manga. If they were going to put their most nutz animation staff on this fight and build off the manga to make the fight more epic (like all of Naruto anime's best fight scenes-- see Naruto v. Sasuke at the Valley of the End) should have done it for the part where Naruto is kicking ass (nutz-ass frog katas, nutz-ass rasengan abuse, etc. etc.), not the other way around.

They put more effort into their fantasized version of the Hinata vs Pain fight.

nihilist big babies get used to Naruto's really generic animation and then don't understand what is going on when someone actually puts art style and fluidity into it. Not that Nine Tails vs. Pain is the best animation I've seen but it's way better by default than most of Naruto.
The fact that episode 167's animation was better than Naruto's regular shit animation was never in dispute.

The main issue with that episode is that it flew in the face of the original manga. It disregarded some vital rules set by the manga (there's a five second interval between each successive use of Shinra Tensei, Pain can't just spam it) and created some pretty fucked up inconsistencies (it's pretty much impossible for Pain to tank so many hits from 6Tails!Naruto)

The tone was off. It was kind of a looney in the anime.

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
That middle paragraph is all well and good, but that link totally contradicts your first statement and is typical of the criticism I was talking about.

It's like some people weren't aware of the looney toons influence in the anime from the beginning...

EDIT: Also almighty push was already really stupid to begin with, what with invalidating the character's entire motives (wanting to acquire WMDs).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That middle paragraph is all well and good, but that link totally contradicts your first statement and is typical of the criticism I was talking about.

It's like some people weren't aware of the looney toons influence in the anime from the beginning...
The link was kind of a joke response, but it does illustrate my point. They set out to do their own thing without adhering to the manga. I'm fine with the animation studio applying their own artistic license, but they completely changed the fight from the ground up.
EDIT: Also almighty push was already really stupid to begin with, what with invalidating the character's entire motives (wanting to acquire WMDs).
Whether it's stupid or not is irrelevant. You can't just ignore the rules set by the manga.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I enjoyed the Pain vs. Naruto fight quite a bit when I watched it. The animation was pretty great when Pain was beating up Naruto, but even when the animation went downhill, it was still pretty entertaining.

I enjoyed the Pain vs. Naruto fight quite a bit when I watched it. The animation was pretty great when Pain was beating up Naruto, but even when the animation went downhill, it was still pretty entertaining.
I don't watch the anime but was that actually in the show? I always thought this was a fan-made animation O.O

I can understand why people would laugh at this, but you're kind of taking this one scene and putting it under a microscope. This actually follows the fundamentals of real animation. It exemplifies how fast he is moving. Have you ever seen a picture of people sky diving? It's pretty much the same thing.

The animation that was actually bad would be the one posted by PK Gaming with the giant frogs.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
I don't wanna keep harping like I loved that episode or anything, cause I was kinda lukewarm to it. But yes, animation is supposed to do things that live action cannot, even when you've got a relatively normal looking dude like Pain. That clip exemplifies not just the speed, but also the raw emotion and power of the character. It also has very good linework, and had to take a lot of work to pull off. Of all the clips from that episode that get taken out of context, it's really actually a good one. The roadrunner stuff, not so much.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
New Naruto chappy is up. Karin gets a moment in the spotlight, and we learn that she possesses ability that only one person before her possessed.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shinryu, the sites I tend to use are mangapanda.com (have an ad blocker for this site, just an fyi) and mangastream.com. If it's not on one site, I'll check the other site. mangapanda usually has their scans up first, but their clean-up and translation work is sketchy at best and downright unreadable at worst; in comparison, mangastream has their scans up later, but their scans are clearer and the text more readable.

I also lurk /r/Naruto (as well as /r/Bleach and /r/OnePiece) and refer to their stickied weekly chapter discussions to see which scanlation site has their scans up first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)