Turnabout Returns!

Introduction

Oh wow, it's been forever since I've done anything on here! lol, Welcome to my first official 6th gen team and my first post in who knows how long! After kinda only derping around for the larger part of 5th gen from time to time and flailing around a bit at the start of 6th gen, I finally decided to kinda sorta try to build a team and came up with something that's been fairly successful so far, even going on a bit of a winning streak the other day. That said, I know it could probably use some improvements and have found a hole or two in the team which I'll comment on later, so I figured, maybe ya'll can give me some ideas to make the team better. Anywho, onto the team building process!

Humbleish beginnings

My first couple ventures in 6th gen team building, the one pokémon that stood out to me as being a boss was Goodra, so I knew that I had to use him and decided to go for something of a bulky offensive core. I decided to pair a Fairy with Goodra because the combo seemed somewhat decent in concept, and went with Azumarill to make it even more decent.

I needed a rocker next and wanted a steel type. Now, I had tons of options here. Skarmory, Ferothorn, Forretres... All great but incredibly boring options... While looking 'round I found Aggron listed as OU. Huh, I thought. I love Aggron. Loved him ever since I used a banded Jolly Aggron to lure out and obliterate Milotics back in 4th gen. I just had to use him if he was viable.

After Aggron, I wasn't sure where to go next.... What did my team need? Well... A ground immunity would be nice... Something that could remove hazards would be pretty cool, too... Oh, and Aegislash is a jerk. What do? Once more, I came upon a pokémon that I loved listed in a tier that I did not expect. I loved trolling with Mandibuzz last gen as she was very effective at making my opponent's lives a pain with Toxic stallin' taunting knock offing goodness. Gotta use her.

So, now what? I looked at my team as it was and decided that a Ghost type would fit pretty well. A Ghost type with a poison STAB and levitate would be even cooler. Hm... I've got so many choices! <_< Yeah... I've never had much luck with Gengar but decided to give him another go. At first, I used choice specs on him, buuuuuut, that didn't work. Then I gave him a Scarf so that if anything, I could use him as a lead since my team was kinda lacking in leads. He's done fairly well since, but that's mostly 'cause Trick's OP.

My final team slot and generally the hardest to figure out. I actually had a slightly easier time filling this slot then the previous ones. I wanted something bulky. Something that could sit there and setup when needed. Something with an OP name. Conky does all that and has acted as something of a glue for the team. A pokémon that can clean up when necessary, absorb most forms of status no problem, and over all be a total beast. I used Conkledurr extensively back before 5th gen UU was established and remains to be an impressive fighting type. Truly, a force to be reckoned with

And now, an in depth look at the team (changes are bolded )

Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

One of the first pokémon I chose for the team and an old friend. It's fairy/water typing allows it to resist or be immune to the Ice and Dragon type attacks aimed at Goodra. Azumarill's infamous Aqua Jet gives me an extremely powerful priority attack while Waterfall is a good water STAB. Superpower deals with steel types that may want to switch in Play Rough 'rounds out the set by providing another strong STAB to throw out when opposing steels and poisons are dead.

Goodra (M) @ Assault vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt

The second pokémon of my bulk offensive core. This thing can tank any special hit that isn't super effective and fire back with something that in my experience will likely be at least a 2HKO. Draco Meteor is Goodra's STAB and a death sentence should you not resist or be immune to it (or be Blissey/Chansey ), Fire Blast kills steels and steel/fairies, Sludge Wave gives great neutral coverage and is my strongest anti-fairy attack unless said fairy is immune to it, and T-Bolt 'rounds out the set. Very few can safely switch into this thing so far in my experience and I am usually able to lure in something to get torn to shreds with it. I originally had Focus Blast, but I hate it's accuracy so I went with Sludge Wave instead. Life Orb is for power, though I've wondered if it's necessary.

Aggron (M) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

OMG, this thing is awesome. Aggron is extremely easy to bring out and safely go mega. Once it hits Mega, it can tank so many attacks it's hysterical. Uxie's got competition for being one of my most reliable stealth rock user ever! 0_o Seriously, I can't sing enough praise. It's steel type STAB is awesome, hitting fairies extremely hard for such a defensive pokémon. Earthquake is Earthquake, and T-Wave gives good paralysis support to the team. If you haven't tried Mega Aggron, do so now. You'll be impressed.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Defog
- Roost

Mandibuzz wins games. Literally. Mandibuzz can come in and tank physical hits all day, provide a decently quick Taunt, and Foul Play hurts. Defog is there to remove hazards though I rarely seem to use it. That being said, I don't want to get rid of it in case of spike stacking shenanigans. Not sure though. Knock Off, Toxic, and Whirlwind all have their uses and could probably work just as well as Defog. I haven't been to quick to change anything since she's been working as is either way, buuuuuut, we'll see.

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

The closest thing to a lead this team has. I picked Gengar entirely do to his typing and levitate and he's been the member that I was most uncertain of until I went on a pretty cool winning streak many of which were do to tricking Scarf onto something that did not want. Gengar is fast and hits fairly hard. Shadow Ball gives good Ghost STAB while Sludge Wave is for teh fairies. Now, if I'm not mistaken, Sludge Bomb is actually considered better do to the better chance of poison, but... I dunno... I don't want to get trolled by lack of power or a poor damage roll :/ T-Bolt is mostly filler...

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

The final Pokémon of the team, Conkeldurr! Conkeldurr is fairly bulky especially once he starts setting up and acts as the team's clean up crew. Drain Punch and Leftovers does a great job of keeping Conks healthy and Mach Punch provides fantastic priority. Knock Off 'rounds off the set providing nearly unresisted coverage in two moves! Also, Knock Off plain old wrecks stuff. That said, he's sadly walled by fairies...
Threat List

Fairies! My team is extremely weak to 'em. Now, I haven't actually had much trouble dealing with fairies so far. I have two resists and I can usually lure 'em out and pick up a kill with Goodra. However, a recent late game sweep by Mega Gardevoir was a massive wake up call for me. Gengar is usually the team's first casualty and Aggron has to soak up a bajillion attacks as is, leaving me with 3 weaknesses and nothing to switch into 'em once they have died. Having another way to deal with 'em would probably be a good idea and though he's been a great team member so far, I'm wondering if it should be Conkledurr that goes to patch this weakness up...

I also may be weak to Thunderus, though I've only seen one normal form so far and was able to beat it so I'm not sure...

Conclusion

I know it's probably not the best team in the world but it's been fairly effective down there in bottom-of-the-barrel-player land and I've been enjoying it so far. I'm definitely up to improving it, hence me posting the team. I'm sure there's other threats out there that I'm weak to and likely some non-standard EV spreads that would fit my team a bit better so feel free to inform me of 'em, lol. Also, I'm not sure if this team is straight OU or pokébank OU, though I'm pretty sure I've been playing it in the former... If I should have marked it differently, please let me know. Thanks for ya'lls time and happy battling :)

Edit: Derped

Last edited:
Looking at this team, I don't really know what to say. It seems very solid. Banded Azumarill is so hard to deal with at times, but perhaps it would be better without the band. Choice items aren't very great for things like Azumarill, for it needs to switch moves often, Aqua Jet against faster things, Waterfall for bulkier things, etc. For Azumarill, I suggest giving it a Life Orb instead of a band. I think it can afford the loss of HP and power in return for the ability to switch moves. Once the choice band is identified, Azumarill becomes easy to wall, because although it has outstanding strength, it can't hit rotating steel and grass types.

Now, unlike Azumarill, Goodra cannot use the Life Orb as well as it can use Assault Vest. Goodra is the greatest for special walling, and the assault vest gives it a maximum of 657 special defense, and only two weaknesses. It gives you resistances to four types that are most often special, also. As a more defensive Pokemon, Sludge Bomb is the better poison move.

Beyond that, I don't really have anything to suggest. Nice team!

Looking at this team, I don't really know what to say. It seems very solid. Banded Azumarill is so hard to deal with at times, but perhaps it would be better without the band. Choice items aren't very great for things like Azumarill, for it needs to switch moves often, Aqua Jet against faster things, Waterfall for bulkier things, etc. For Azumarill, I suggest giving it a Life Orb instead of a band. I think it can afford the loss of HP and power in return for the ability to switch moves. Once the choice band is identified, Azumarill becomes easy to wall, because although it has outstanding strength, it can't hit rotating steel and grass types.

Now, unlike Azumarill, Goodra cannot use the Life Orb as well as it can use Assault Vest. Goodra is the greatest for special walling, and the assault vest gives it a maximum of 657 special defense, and only two weaknesses. It gives you resistances to four types that are most often special, also. As a more defensive Pokemon, Sludge Bomb is the better poison move.

Beyond that, I don't really have anything to suggest. Nice team!
Assault Vest might be something to try, I just don't want to miss out on the power that Orb grants.

I don't usually have any problem with Azumarill being banded. As long as I predict right, he tears things to shreds, lol

Thanks.

So... I did test Assault Vest on Goodra... I haven't really noticed much of a change either in survivability 'nor in offensive capability, but I did run some damage calcs and have an idea of what it should and should not be capable of, so I'll probably keep it for now, though I have thought of running Expert Belt on it...

I'm kinda sorta working on another team which so far has been kinda crappy but could be sorta funish so I'm not really gonna do much work on this team for a little while, however, I am still open for suggestions an comments... I'm also thinking that Conkledurr needs to go for something that's fairly tanky and can setup for a cleanup, but ain't weak or walled by fairies... I'd definitely like some suggestions here.

I don't have too many suggestions that EyeDentist didn't say. Apart from agreeing with everything he said, you may want to change your Mandibuzz moveset. Running a Foul Play/Swagger moveset makes her capable of doing damage to just about everything. Also, if you are worrying about not having a definitive lead, running defog and Knock Off makes a great anti-lead, so you can trifle with the opponent.

Not too much else, so again, good job. Also, replays would be appreciated if you have them.

I don't have too many suggestions that EyeDentist didn't say. Apart from agreeing with everything he said, you may want to change your Mandibuzz moveset. Running a Foul Play/Swagger moveset makes her capable of doing damage to just about everything. Also, if you are worrying about not having a definitive lead, running defog and Knock Off makes a great anti-lead, so you can trifle with the opponent.

Not too much else, so again, good job. Also, replays would be appreciated if you have them.
Here's a few that I sent to my friend a little while ago

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-78646647
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-78646647 (This was a battle I had with my friend. We knew both our teams. )
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-79001046
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-79002617
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-79012147

I'll post more later if desired.

So... You agree with Life orb>Band on Azumarill? Huh... I've only ever banded Azu or ran sub/punch (speaking of, is that set viable this gen? ) Running Orb seems like blasphemy, lol. Also, no suggestions for replacements for Conk?

For the record, I apologize for not posting any losses. I didn't save 'em and I don't think the team lost to many battles anyways.

This team looks really great, but I would recommend that you run AV Conkeldurr. AV Conkeldurr can switch almost any special attack and retaliate with it's great physical attack stat.
Here is the set:
Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SDef / 12 Def
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

phoenixwright7,

The EVs saffron195 suggest have a purpose. I would recommend using them. The 12 Def EVs are so that your Def is higher than your SDef. That ensures that Genesect with get a SAtk boost with Download since Download does not take into account the SDef boost from Assault Vest. I actually run 252 Atk / 244 SDef / 8 Def / 4 Spd since 8 in Def is enough, and then you can speed creep other Conkeldurr. Just encase I wanted to mention to run an Adamant nature. I don't see that posted anywhere on this thread.

From what I understand, Assault Vest Conk is kinda turning into his new standard set. I know that it's supposed to be quite good, my friend has sung plenty of praise for the set, and I actually did consider it when building the team. I chose Bulk Up since I wanted something that could setup and clean up late game when needed. He's worked, but instead of a different Conk set, I think I just need to replace him. I don't have much issue with the 'mons that assault Vest Conk seems to easily deal with (like Rotom-W ) either way. I could test the set regardless though, I suppose, lol.

From what I understand, Assault Vest Conk is kinda turning into his new standard set. I know that it's supposed to be quite good, my friend has sung plenty of praise for the set, and I actually did consider it when building the team. I chose Bulk Up since I wanted something that could setup and clean up late game when needed. He's worked, but instead of a different Conk set, I think I just need to replace him. I don't have much issue with the 'mons that assault Vest Conk seems to easily deal with (like Rotom-W ) either way. I could test the set regardless though, I suppose, lol.
No, that is my bad. I didn't realize your set was Bulk Up. I thought you had it as Assault Vest with those EVs.

This team looks really great, but I would recommend that you run AV Conkeldurr. AV Conkeldurr can switch almost any special attack and retaliate with it's great physical attack stat.
Here is the set:
Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
Shiny: No
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SDef / 12 Def
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
Well, I suppose Scizor could take the place of Conkeldurr, he is a great revenge killer/pivot. I would use this set:
Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp Def
Bullet Punch
Super Power
U-Turn/X-Scissor
Pursuit

Conkeldurr is pretty good though and I recommend trying out both before making a decision.

Also, run Sludge Bomb over Sludge Wave.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)