Things you have cooked up lately

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hi all!

I am sure that there are many of us that enjoy cooking things in their spare time. As for me, I have always enjoyed cooking and prepared meals for the rest of the family quite often in my household while growing up. As a university student now, I still enjoy making some things for myself. Today, I made a Texas style Chilli. Here is the recipe along with some (bad quality) pictures.

The recipe is as follows:

2.5 lb Chuck Roast, cubed
1 Onion, diced
5 cloves of Garlic, minced
3 tbsp Chilli Powder
4 tbsp Ancho Chilli Powder
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
4 Chipotle Peppers, minced
1 7 oz can of Adobo, from Chipotles
1/2 Cup Beef Stock
1 Can Tomato Sauce
1 12 oz Beer
1 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp Olive Oil
And a few drops of Habanero Hot Sauce

One thing you might notice about this recipe is the absence of beans. Many of my friends cannot seem to fathom such a thought when it comes to chilli, but most sources I have read have stated that beans are considered "filler" and that true Texas style chilli is just "meat and gravy". I personally think beans are overrated anyway. I also used chuck cut into cubes rather than ground. This makes the chilli much heartier, and if you simmer it long enough it should be incredibly tender.

I start off by dicing the vegetables. This can be painful to your eyes if your onion is fresh. Most people use white or yellow onion in their recipe but I am personally a fan of red onion for its strong but slightly sweet flavor.

I also keep the seeds in my Chipotles as they add a significant amount of heat to the dish, but you can always remove them if you prefer things to be more mild.

Once the veggies are chopped up, glaze the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and sautee the onion and garlic for about five minutes.

When the most of the onion has faded in color, add the salt and meat and brown evenly on both sides.

Then we add the beer. You can of course use whatever beer you want, but I am a craft beer drinker so a mere Bud Light won't cut it for me. A darker beer with a chocolate malt profile (eg a Stout or Porter) would work best. I chose to use Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, one of my favorite porters.

After boiling the beer and letting it reduce for about three minutes, add the chipotles, adobo, tomato sauce, stock, hot sauce, and chilli spice mixture.

After letting it simmer for a while (I am patient, so I let it simmer for 7 hours), it is time to eat!

You can garnish it with whatever you like but I think it is generally fine the way it is. As far as your choice of beverage goes, there is not better choice than a glass of the same beer you used in the recipe.

And that's it! As I sit here enjoying this chilli while I type this, I wonder if anyone else here has made something interesting to eat.

Blackhawk11

one on one
related.

[youtube]XXChcvVPv2A[/youtube]

I live in a residence hall at college so the extent of my cooking is putting water in a cup of noodles and heating it up. But I do put Cheez-Its in it afterward which is pretty tasty. I'd love to be able to cook though and next year when I live in a house I'll probably be doing a lot of it! If it gets as cold as it is here now (flirting between negative and positive Fahrenheit) come next year, I might just dig up this thread for that chili recipe, it looks delicious!

bass when are you gonna get food

2014 edit holy shit i didn't realize this recipe was here, now i can have forks con every day

Last edited:
Great Lakes is a quality brewery.

Over the past few years I have played around with chilli quite a bit. I went through a phase where I would use a ratio of ground beef, pork, and italian sausage. I'd flavor it with bacon or salt pork on top of your standard spices and have very little broth. These days I have been going with cubed chuck and a much thinner broth based on crushed tomatoes.

Lately I have been trying simpler meals with more than one "course," although I just eat everything at the same time. Nobody got time to sit around and eat. The other night was:

Arugula, sliced mushrooms, sliced carrots with olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing
Bow tie pasta, tomato sauce (crushed tomatoes, butter, basil), shredded mozzarella
Pork chops glazed with honey and lime juice

Shii

zap
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Oh God, where do I begin

Well, I've been cooking a lot since Christmas since my grandma had long since given up on the idea and pretty much just goes out, while my mom burns pretty much everything she cooks. It's been a good learning experience since I never did get a lot of opportunity in the kitchen.

Here's a couple things I've made since Christmas:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/319071_10151143090261674_923776332_n.jpg
Pumpkin Pecan Crunch dessert! I'm not a fan of pecans, but they came together with the pumpkin really nicely. :>

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/73241_10151161418431674_351845666_n.jpg
My first attempt at chicken parmigiana. It turned out nicely even though the breadcrumb browned quicker than I thought (a result of the cheese methinks).

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/9688_10151166807251674_428534243_n.jpg
This was a little tougher to manage. It's a dark chocolate raspberry cheesecake with an oreo crust. It was super rich, but with a little whipped cream, it was delicious! I was so happy, I had never made a cheesecake before. ;-;

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/535987_10151195554346674_1852357448_n.jpg
This was super fun and not life-threatening at all! My mother was a big fan of Chili's honey-chipotle chicken crispers, so I googled it and found an imitation recipe and it turned out pretty good! However, as any good poor family knows, buying a deep fryer is (generally) out of the question unless we strike it upper-midclass version of rich (which we didn't) so deep frying anything requires a big ass pan and a shitton of oil. That can pose significant risk to a family like ours, but we did it anyway. I had to ask my mom to do it because I was such a fucking pansy. But alas, it turned out amazingly.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/63716_10151210687681674_2118171296_n.jpg
Orange beef with ginger root! It's super easy to make with leftover cuts of beef. I make it sometimes when my uncle kills too many cows. ^_^

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/309537_10151212115146674_333436585_n.jpg
This is my most recent (and hardest) recipe I've made. It's a variation of saltimbocca alla romana (or in English, pork with mozzarella and sage). It was super hard to get the technique right because I had to pan fry as usual, but the layers had to stay intact perfectly. It was a nightmare. I edited the recipe a little so I could bake it instead of fry, it takes more time but it's worth it imo. Plus the meat is juicier that way.

Yeah I know all the pictures are shitty and low quality but whatever. It was taken from my phone. You get my drift.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i made a breakfast burrito for lunch today. Reduced the mess by cooking the egg in the microwave. :)

sorry for bumping this... i saw this thread last week and really wanted to post but i didn't have time to cook anything particularly interesting. i'm a university student and cooking is one of my favourite things to do, but usually i only have time to whip up something fast like chicken/rice/broccoli. today i finally had some time on my hands to plan and cook something nice, so i decided to treat myself to some beef tenderloin i've had in my freezer for a while. i also made my favourite sautéed potato recipe and some nice green beans i got the other day. i decided to take some pictures in case anyone wanted to see what i was doing

i started off by parboiling the potatoes. i usually cook with regular potatoes but i thought it'd be fun to get those little ones for a change. i cut them in half and parboiled them in slightly salted water for about 5 minutes. after that i drained the water off and started sautéing them in a really hot pan (actually it's a wok because i needed my pan for the steak lol) with olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper

after they started to brown i added in some rosemary and thyme. unfortunately i'm too lazy to use fresh spices, but the dry stuff is still really good. right before they were finished i added just a touch of butter and a minced clove of garlic. here's the final product... it's a really tasty and simple recipe that i think anyone would like. thyme is delicious!!

while the potatoes cooked i prepared the steak and green beans. when i'm at home and cooking green beans for my family, i stir fry them with toasted almond slices, but it's kind of a pain to do that as a university student, so i just boiled them. i seasoned my filet with just salt and pepper. i went pretty easy on the salt but i like to use a lot of pepper for a nice pepper crust

i buy those giant full pieces of beef tenderloin when they go on sale at the grocery store and i cut it up myself, which explains why i have two really different sized pieces. anyways once the potatoes were pretty much done i started cooking the green beans and steak. i just used some vegetable oil in a super hot pan for the meat

one trick my dad taught me when cooking filet is to cover the pan with a pot lid to help the inside cook without having to burn the outside. normally you'd achieve this by finishing a seared filet it in the oven for a few minutes, but i'm a lazy son of gun so i prefer to do it this way. it's definitely not as good as an oven, but it's certainly not a bad technique

after a few of minutes on both sides the steak was pretty much done, so i added like a gram of butter to the pan for a little flavour. the green beans were almost done too, so i let the steaks rest on the plate for about 10 minutes and plated the rest

definitely one of my favourite meals to cook. it's not very fancy or complex but i have a pretty simple taste and i think it's really delicious. i burnt the meat ever so slightly because i was talking to my housemate and struggling to take pictures, but the sear is pretty good overall and it tasted great. here's what the inside of the steak looks like. i like to eat my meat medium rare to rare, so this is what most of my steaks end up looking like. sometimes it's a little more or less cooked depending on how much i'm paying attention XD

that's pretty much it... i hope it was interesting! if anybody has any cooking techniques or recipes to share i'd love to hear them. in particular, any simple but tasty recipes for a lazy college student would be unreal

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tonight I made my first attempt at making a juice reduction. The concept is pretty simple, but I need to do a better job at figuring out proportions.

My goal was to cook pork chops in the skillet with some apple juice and salt, then drizzle a reduced apple juice sauce over them. The apple juice reduction I made consisted of apple juice (obviously), a little cinnamon, brown sugar and salt. It sounds like a sweet, dessert-like sauce, but it meshed surprisingly well with the pork chops.

In conclusion, sweet juice reductions are quite good with dinner and not just dessert. My next attempt will be at an orange juice reduction with chicken.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
i can make a cheesecake im proud of. although its not that hard, really. but i really like the taste, though im workin on the texture currently. ive still got ways to go. also crust is ass.

the boyfriend loves cooking regularly and im also gettin into it thanks to him. he makes some really good thai food. the other day we ate rice, steamed swai, and a curry beef (which "I" made. and by "I" I strictly meant he told me everythin to do.

lookin back we've already cooked a lot of other stuff but i dont have any more pics.

edit: so sorry for the blurry pic :( i hate my not-so-smartphone inability to take pics from up-close

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
aww shit, iconic has some natural talent i see

anyway as some of you know i actually cook for a living. unsurprisingly, ever since i started working as a cook i have cooked a lot less at home--mostly cause i come back from work exhausted, not because i'm tired of cooking lol

anyway, i don't have anything particularly interesting to share right now, but i probably will later this week. i just wanted to say iconique's dish looked good :)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i can make a cheesecake im proud of. although its not that hard, really. but i really like the taste, though im workin on the texture currently. ive still got ways to go. also crust is ass.

the boyfriend loves cooking regularly and im also gettin into it thanks to him. he makes some really good thai food. the other day we ate rice, steamed swai, and a curry beef (which "I" made. and by "I" I strictly meant he told me everythin to do.

lookin back we've already cooked a lot of other stuff but i dont have any more pics.

edit: so sorry for the blurry pic :( i hate my not-so-smartphone inability to take pics from up-close
@Phantasia - if you want some cheesecake tips, I'd be more than happy to help you out. I've been baking cheesecake for many many years now, and I have a recipe handed down through my family's generations. Just send me a PM and let me know what you're having trouble with, and I'll give you advice :)

Can't believe I never saw this thread! Guess I should offload some of my baking adventures pics, though I think a lot of them had been posted in my art thread before. I went from totally incompetent at cooking to alright over the last year or so, hoping I can make something of it in the future. Mostly I just stick with doing cake pops and other stuff like that, but lately I've been branching out into making pies and *attempting* to make macarons (fuck those things). Anyway, onto the pics!

And something more on the actual topic of this thread that I've actually cooked more recently, ha. I made a bunch of steak and pale ale mini pies maybe a couple of weeks back? Was a fairly simple recipe, just needed some lightly fried steak and shallots, beef stock, any brown or pale ale (I used Cooper's, nothing special), tomato puree and some bay leaves and you leave it all to simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Then you just get your pastry, cut out a few circles so it'll fit in a muffin tin, spoon some of the filling in and then cover and bake. Probably not too useful if you want something super easy (pastry is annoying to work with), but the mustard shortcrust pastry and the steak and ale filling go really well together. Might try it out with Guinness next time though.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I decided to cook something nice for dinner tonight, and since it turned out really well I'll share it here.

Served with honey carrots and was absolutely delicious. Safe to say I demolished the whole thing in one sitting.

that looks absolutely delicious django. how did you prepare the chicken / what are you cooking it over?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
thank you for the salivating tutorial, Iconic! I'd be set for life if I can make myself that meal every day (don't laugh at me now, koko D:<) ;x How long does it take to cook the steak medium rear?

Also really cute-looking desserts, elcheeso :3

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
that looks absolutely delicious django. how did you prepare the chicken / what are you cooking it over?
Just covered the chicken in salt pepper and butter, then chopped up a lemon and put half of that inside the chicken, and scattered the rest around the tray. At this point I also chopped an onion into quarters and put that in. I pour two cups of water over the chicken before putting it in the oven, then use that to baste it every half hour or so. An hour before its ready just throw in some potatoes and ez, roast dinner with very minimal effort.

the whole thing takes about 2 hours to cook

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
time to revive this thread.

can you tell i do this for a living? lol

i've made this once before a couple of weeks ago and it was so good i decided to do it again. its basically a vietnamese-style broth soup with braised pork shoulder, noodles, bok choy, carrots, celery, and hot peppers. i added some pan-seared scallops because 1. scallops are fucking delicious and 2. they go really well in this dish.

usually i'd finish it with some fresh chopped cilantro but i was out of that :(

i might edit this post later with a full recipe but its kinda long so im being lazy for now lol

Personally, I hate cooking, which is in odd contrast to some of the shows I like watching on Food Network (competition ones like Chopped). But anyways, I make a decent batch of chili from our family recipe, it doesn't go for burn-your-mouth hot, but it's more medium/mild with a touch of sweetness.

Also going to make baked onions for Super Bowl tomorrow, slow cooked for a couple of hours in the oven with some cheese on top of a slice of garlic toast.

I had an extra stick of cream cheese just sitting in my fridge, so I decided to experiment with some cream cheese mashed potatoes, which turned out pretty well.

Ingredients:
Couple of potatoes, boiled
8oz. stick of cream cheese
1/2 cup milk (I used buttermilk because I have a whole carton I need to use before the 14th)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 packet of dry ranch seasoning

Boil the potatoes. You can peel them if you want but I'm lazy and hate peeling potatoes. Skins are better anyway. Once they're soft, drain the water and go to town on the potatoes with a potato masher (I used a fork after finding out I don't have a masher, would not recommend). Once they're good and mashed, mix the cream cheese and (butter)milk. Once that's all good and creamy add the ranch and however much garlic you want and mix again. Enjoy your mouthgasm.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Most of the early image tags are broken. :'(
No fair. I demand the Original Posters take initiative to populate their posts with beautiful pictures again instead of broken links.

Today I made broiled grapefruit for breaky because I've been on a recent grapefruit obsession and I found this article online: http://en.julskitchen.com/breakfast/broiled-grapefruit. I don't have my own picture but it looked like that one. I topped it with blueberries and honey and greek yogurt.

I thought I would cook much more as a finally independent college student but recently I've just been going out to eat all the time cause there are so many good places to get food here in Toronto.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Curry meatballs and curry pork with sour apple. (yes, singular coz I only used one)

I just bought a pack of really tasty fair trade curry powder, so my recent food is predominantly curry.

Curry Meatball
I just sprinkle lots of curry powder onto the meatball and let them marinate for say 1 hour.
Then I just boil them with very little water.

Curry pork with sour apple
Sprinkle powder onto pork, marinate for 30 mins ~ 60 mins. (inside the pot)
Cut up sour apple into dices, put aside.
Switch stove on, boil pork with little water.
When boiling, add apple dices.
Cook until apple becomes soft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)