XY Experiences

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Mega Stones only appearing from 8-9pm is really grinding my gears. There's a lot of cool shit that happens form 8-9 irl / I keep forgetting..

/rant
if you're not caring about setting berry fields back a day, then just reset your 3ds clock :D

Glittering Cave in the 3D portion where pokemon jump out at you from the dark. It's a really low encounter rate; it took me a while.

Not quite done with the game (just before 8th gym) but I'll note my answers so far:

What surprised you as you played through the game? Wonder Trade was an amazing surprise early on. Pokemon Amie was pretty cool too. I was really surprised how much stuff there was in between gyms, especially the first and second gym, as usually there's not a lot to do beyond 'go to a city, beat the gym, go to the next city.' Towards the end of the game it started to get a bit frustrating, though, when I really just wanted to finish the E4 but instead had to keep fighting through more trainers with pokemon 15 levels below mine.

What disappointed you as you played through the game?
Lack of plot. Team Flare/Lysandre's plan was completely incoherent and not very interesting. Also: I know this game is for children, but seriously, can we get some actually competent villains? An evil organization that isn't using crappy pokemon and actually poses a threat? Really tired of seeing the same stupid Liepard/Gulpin/whatever in every battle.

More interesting rivals/companions would be nice too. I found the four kids following me to be pretty annoying.

Also: even with the Exp Share turned off most of the time, my pokemon ended up seriously over-leveled by the end of the game; lv 60-70 before I even hit the final gym. It made things way too easy, and I was using a deliberately disadvantaged team as a theme challenge.

How could they have improved the game to remove this disappointment?
Just add in a Hard Mode, honestly, or some mechanic that tracks your team's levels and adjusts the opposing trainer's levels accordingly so that battles are actually a challenge sometimes.

What parts of the game do you enjoy? Really liked the various minigames for Super-Training and Amie; I'd like to see something like the Pokethlon/Bug-Catching Contest from HGSS come back; I always enjoy stuff to do that's not just endless battling.

Really, there is a LOT to like about this game; I don't think I've been so engaged with a game since Silver and SoulSilver, which have always been my very favorites. The graphics are amazing, all of the locations are really beautiful and interesting (I loved the 3D cave early on), and I'm impressed by the options for shinies and the varieties of pokemon available, even if I haven't really gotten into breeding/competitive stuff yet.

Which Pokémon did you really enjoy using? I got lucky and got a lv.1 Skarmory off Wonder Trade very early; he was the leader of my team. Did not get a chance to train many of the new 'mons because I was doing a theme but I'm looking forward to training up Tyrunt, Fennekin, and Sylveon.

Which Pokémon ended up being a lot worse than you thought they would be? It's not that bad, but I'm a little disappointed in Talonflame. Such a cool-looking pokemon but its moveset is really unimpressive, especially early on, and it's kind of frail. At least mine is.

Which gyms did you find the most challenging? Rock gym was tricky only because I had an all-flying team (tho Skarmory was a boss). The rest-- super easy. Some really impressive gym designs, though. I especially liked the mind-bending Psychic gym.

Last edited:
What parts of the game do you enjoy? Really liked the various minigames for Super-Training and Amie; I'd like to see something like the Pokethlon/Bug-Catching Contest from HGSS come back; I always enjoy stuff to do that's not just endless battling.

Really, there is a LOT to like about this game; I don't think I've been so engaged with a game since Silver and SoulSilver, which have always been my very favorites. The graphics are amazing, all of the locations are really beautiful and interesting (I loved the 3D cave early on), and I'm impressed by the options for shinies and the varieties of pokemon available, even if I haven't really gotten into breeding/competitive stuff yet.
The Pokeathlon was the main reason I'd constantly go back to SoulSilver again. Perhaps it'll be added in the next generation, and the extra apps are some things that really get your Pokemon attached to you, at least for me. It's not easy to read a Pokemon's mind. It's very complex, simply put. Although I can seem to "read the mind" of choices, how can you do the same to how a Pokemon thinks and feels? It's a mystery I'd rather not investigate.

Last edited:
The "two guys nothing wrong with that" joke has been going on a while. Back in GSC (and HGSS), in Goldenrod Mall, there are two guys standing back-to-front on the fourth floor. When you talk to them, they say something like "two buff guys standing side by side. What's wrong about that?". BW has the two shady guys in a Castelia alley as well.

If anything should be censored, it was the Ferris Wheel in BW. That thing was scary haha.

The "two guys nothing wrong with that" joke has been going on a while. Back in GSC (and HGSS), in Goldenrod Mall, there are two guys standing back-to-front on the fourth floor. When you talk to them, they say something like "two buff guys standing side by side. What's wrong about that?". BW has the two shady guys in a Castelia alley as well.

If anything should be censored, it was the Ferris Wheel in BW. That thing was scary haha.
Really? Never knew.
I was too young when I saw those to realize the Ferris wheel thing...

I have a question for some of you guys to answer, but any stage in the game is fine:
"What is the most annoying Pokemon you've fought?"
For me, early-game is Hawlucha, as, with some painful experiences on my first game, battered my team up pretty well.
Mid-game, there's not much that can stop a Lv. 50+ Delphox with Flamethrower, Psychic/Psyshock, and Grass Knot.
Late-game, against the Elite Four, that award goes to Malva's Talonflame. Sure, it's fragile, but its ridiculous Brave Birds make it swift and painful without some form of an attack tank. You can outspeed it, but that's hard to do against Flying types. But for each Elite Four member, it's Wikstrom's Probopass due to Sturdy, Drasna's Noivern because of its ridiculous Speed, and Siebold's Starmie, because of Surf, Surf, Surf. Diantha's Goodra is a massive tank, able to take a lot of hits, then give you some painful ones back.
These are just off my experiences, though. Thanks in advance!

Actually, they did censor the Ferris Wheel, at least in the US version. The Kindergarten Teacher is actually a crossdressing guy. He even says it is ok for him taking off his shirt because you are both guys. Two sweating boys on a Ferris Wheel mid summer - nothing wrong here.

Reactions: MMX
Damn it, a shiny Graveler appeared at the Victory Road when I was leveling up to complete the Dex, and when I switched into a Pokémon that coud make it sleep... It exploded. It's the second time something like that happened to me, the first being an Abra teleporting away back in Silver.

I really don't like shinies, when they're bred or traded, or chained or something. I think they're not really Worth the time you spend to have one, even more after RNG and cloning, since their Worth is really lesser. But when they appear in-game, I think it's quite nice, just like winning the lotto, and when a wild shiny explodes away from me... it's sad. =(

I've been breeding like mad all week. In a few days I've already got ideal Kangashkan, Aegislash, Helioisk, Dragonite, and Hydreigon. However, yesterday I learned one of my Friend Safaris has Gale Wings Fletchhinder, which obviously meant my quest for Sucker Punch Bisharp had to sit on the back burner. Up to this point everything else was fairly easy since someone was generous enough to Wonder Trade me a 31/31/31/xx/31/31 Bulbasaur, though Deino was a huge headache, but it was still only a handful of hours of work. Still it's ridiculous that you're essentially punished for trying to breed two Pokemon you own because they naturally hate each other due to having the same trainer ID, but I digress.

This Fletchling, though, took almost two whole days. I just could not get the right IVs to pass, the ones that ended up being Adamant and 5IVs and in the right place were all Big Pecks, and I was constantly having to switch around parents. HOWEVER, it paid off big time. Not only did I get an ideal Adamant Fletchling, I got a FLAWLESS one. That's right, six perfect IVs. And it's male, which means it can be a stud! I was so happy.

How did I celebrate? I dropped $1.3 million dollars at the Lumiose Boutique. Oh yea.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
k so I've been hunting GTS for shinies now that pokebank is out because I collect shinies, soooo I traded a Dialga for a shiny Mawile. Shiny Mawile apparently has three perfect IVs, is Adamant Intimidate and is Kalos born. I mean idc about their stats, but damn, I lucked out on that one. I also have a shiny Emboar, shiny Braviary, shiny Teddiursa, shiny Swanna and shiny Axew from GTS shiny hunting with legendaries. n_______n ONLY LIKE 28 MORE SHINIES TO GET FOR MY COLLECTION OF DESIRED SHINIES TO BE COMPLETE (this is just tying me over til I get shiny charm ;_;)

I am so envious of anyone with a 6IV Ditto. I'm on, I think, hour 15 of trying to get a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Whismur with Rattled. I don't know why, but I cannot get that SPA IV to pass and still have the other IVs work out. I've got two 5 IV parents breeding and the mom has 31 SPA (I had to do a whole separate chain to ensure the mom had it, which wasn't fun), so I don't know what the hell to do other than ride my back back and forth and wait for my O-Power to recharge. I got desperate and tried to trade for a so-called 6IV Ditto and was scammed (SHOCK!), but like I said, I was desperate and not thinking clearly. I didn't really like that Azelf anyways.

Hell, at this point, I don't even care what the SPE is since it's just gonna be a Specs Exploud. As long as it outspeeds Azumarrill and Trevenant with no EVs, it doesn't really matter.

It's these damn special attackers. I can breed my physical hitters in a matter of hours, but Heliolisk, Hydreigon, and now this Whismur take forever.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The King of Harts yeah I hear ya, I've been trying for a female Aerodactyl (that's it, do not care about IVs at the moment!) and haven't had any luck for about 2 hours... Which parent is the problem do you think? I could probably hook you up with a 5iv father. Don't have any Whismur yet so can't help with the mother...

Anyway so I've just started another run of X and only just noticed that you can make a custom nickname for your character instead of those default ones they give you. Now I'm sitting here trying to come up with something hilarious... why do I care so much?

Hey guys! Just wanted to say that I am glad Pokebank is finally out (who wouldn't be). I can finally trade over my ideal pokemon from the last generation. My perfect ditto will make breeding so much quicker. Currently, I have bred an ideal mawile, ferrothorn, Aegislash, Dragonite, Salamence, Bisharp, tyranitar, and Garchomp in preparation for the regionals in April. Well, I'll be on Pokemon Y all night. Smell you later.

I am so envious of anyone with a 6IV Ditto. I'm on, I think, hour 15 of trying to get a 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Whismur with Rattled. I don't know why, but I cannot get that SPA IV to pass and still have the other IVs work out. I've got two 5 IV parents breeding and the mom has 31 SPA (I had to do a whole separate chain to ensure the mom had it, which wasn't fun), so I don't know what the hell to do other than ride my back back and forth and wait for my O-Power to recharge. I got desperate and tried to trade for a so-called 6IV Ditto and was scammed (SHOCK!), but like I said, I was desperate and not thinking clearly. I didn't really like that Azelf anyways.

Hell, at this point, I don't even care what the SPE is since it's just gonna be a Specs Exploud. As long as it outspeeds Azumarrill and Trevenant with no EVs, it doesn't really matter.

It's these damn special attackers. I can breed my physical hitters in a matter of hours, but Heliolisk, Hydreigon, and now this Whismur take forever.

I hear ya on the 6 IV Ditto; I was also scammed for one. Good luck breeding. Breeding is a female dog.

The King of Harts yeah I hear ya, I've been trying for a female Aerodactyl (that's it, do not care about IVs at the moment!) and haven't had any luck for about 2 hours... Which parent is the problem do you think? I could probably hook you up with a 5iv father. Don't have any Whismur yet so can't help with the mother...
I don't know which parent it was, but I finally got it. I don't know how many eggs I had to hatch, but it was a crapton. I had a 31/31/31/31/31/xx Whismur breeding with a xx/31/31/31/31/31 Whismur, but I got way more 4iv babies than I did 5iv ones, and the 5iv ones didn't have SPA, and the ones with 5iv and SPA didn't have Rattled. That Hidden Ability is what was really messing me up, I think. I finally settled on a 31/31/31/31/31/xx since he needs bulk more than he needs speed.

So yea, I got something after almost a full day, but thanks for the offer though.

Oh, and FYI, I got a 31/31/31/xx/31/31 Tyrunt in the second batch with just a 5iv dad and 1iv mom. So yea, Special Attackers are the real enemy.

Having finished X / Y, I definitely have an opinion on it. I'll just say this: I haven't liked and been so engaged in a Pokémon game since R / S / E! X and Y are quite strong titles and they are very enjoyable.

What surprised you as you played through the game?
Wonder Trading. Damn I love this feature! Wonder Trading makes trading Pokémon so much easier. Even though the mons you receive are always random, I have gotten some really good stuff through Wonder Trade, including a 5 IV'd Rotom. I definitely hope they keep this around. It's very convenient and the fact that you never know what you get makes trading with people more enjoyable.

What disappointed you as you played through the game?
Probably the biggest disappointment to me was the Pokémon League. This is supposed to be the most intense part of the game, battling the Elite Four one by one and receiving the Champion title. I found this Pokémon League to be a joke (and I didn't even use the Exp. Share in my play through). The Elite Four weren't too hard to beat and Champion Diantha is in the same boat. Her Mega Gardevoir was the only mon in the League that presented a challenge to me, but otherwise, conquering the League isn't too big of a challenge in X and Y. D / P / Pl are my least favorite games in the series, but the one thing I did like about those games was that the Sinnoh League was actually challenging. Cynthia's Garchomp. That is all. I hope GameFreak makes more Champions like Cynthia in the future. She actually proved to be a decent challenge and Diantha was pretty underwhelming.

Like others have said, the story of X and Y is also pretty disappointing. B / W's story is by far the best in the main series. It really made you see the Pokémon world in a new light. X / Y on the other hand are different. Team Flare, like past evil organizations, was supposed to drive the plot forward, but they just seemed...there. I did like Lysandre, but I found him to be too similar to another crime syndicate leader (*coughCyruscough*). After Black and White, I expected future Pokémon games to have much richer storylines, but this was not delivered in X and Y. I can't help but feel that this part of the game was rushed a bit and I think GameFreak could have executed it much better.

How could they have improved the game to remove this disappointment?
Just add in a Hard Mode, honestly, or some mechanic that tracks your team's levels and adjusts the opposing trainer's levels accordingly.
What parts of the game do you enjoy?
Pokémon-Amie. The cuteness is off the charts. ^^
Also, I really love the new breeding mechanics. In the past, it was too time-consuming to try breeding for perfect mons, so I often turned to battle simulators for competitive purposes. Now, it is so much easier to get those perfect IVs and it is a change that I greatly appreciate. Thank you Destiny Knot!

Which Pokémon did you really enjoy using?
To me, it was both Fennekin and Skiddo. I normally don't pick the Fire starter, but I did this time around. Fennekin is easily one of, if not the, cutest starters ever. It is also pretty strong, making gym challenges take a lot less time, as only the Rock gym gives it trouble. Fennekin also put an end to the Fire / Fighting starters (about damn time GameFreak), becoming a Fire / Psychic type as it evolves. Being resistant to the new Fairy-type was also a nice addition and Fennekin is easily one of my favorites from the new gen.
I was upset that we couldn't ride the Skiddo that we catch, but it's not that big of a deal (yet again, that would be a pretty neat feature). The moment I saw a Skiddo, I knew I wanted to train one. Grass may not be all that great as a type, but Skiddo, along with its evolution Gogoat, surprised me. Unlike a lot of Grass-types, both of them are actually quite strong and have a good enough movepool to back it up, learning moves like Earthquake and Milk Drink as it levels up. Having access to Bulk Up was also pretty neat, and having such high HP made it all that much better. It may not have the best movepool ever, but what it does have is great for sweeping stupid NPCs. Overall, a pretty good Pokémon.

Which Pokémon ended up being a lot worse than you thought they would be?
Flabebe and its evos. I wanted to have a Fairy-type on my team and part of me really regrets not choosing Sylveon. Florges, Flabebe's final stage, may have high special defense, but that's all it has going for it. Despite that high special attack, my Florges could not OHKO a single opponent (unless they were Dragons) and often found herself dying more than my other Pokémon, even when she was still just a Flabebe. Her movepool also lacks good coverage, with Fairy, Normal, and Grass moves dominating her movepool. Delphox also shares this problem, but more often than not, Delphox actually carried its own weight, becoming a driving force of my team. Florges, well, just stood there, taking special attacks like a boss, but unable to dish out some serious pain of her own. It's a shame, too, because Florges looked like it had the potential to be a really good wall.

Which gyms did you find the most challenging?
None to be honest. Picking Fennekin really made battling through the gyms a breeze. ^^

These are just my two cents. I really found myself enjoying these games quite a bit, something that I haven't felt since R / S / E. The graphics are great, the music is as good as always, and the roster, while small, has some of the best-looking mons in recent memory. X and Y are simply "X-traordinary".

Last edited:
Proof that special attackers are infinitely harder to breed: I just bred a 6 IV Charmander on my 5th egg! FIVE! FIVE EGGS NECESSARY! It took less eggs than my Charmander has flawless IVs! And my parents were just a 5iv Dratini and 2iv Charmander from a trade.

I'm never breeding a special attacker again! I am all physical hitters for now on!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm sure Pokemon has caused all sorts of obsessive behaviors in us but as someone who suffers from OCD I just went through a particularly torturous ordeal...

I transferred Simon the Samurott from my White 2 to my Y and like ten minutes after I did I immediately began to regret it...like I just "realized" that I had a rule against transferring the starter Pokemon. I didn't even realize I had this rule until I had already done it and thought that I shouldn't have. The only other time I did a permanent cross-generational transfer was from SoulSilver to White 2 when I did not transfer my starter Meganium, and I realized I should have done that this time as well...but too late. I never had a problem transferring any of my other Pokemon but for some reason I feel like the starter Pokemon is like the partner and should not be separated from its trainer, ever. Period. This whole imagining that the trainer is an actual guy and the Pokemon are real thing is causing me a lot of distress...

PokeTransfer is permanent as they constantly remind you during the process so now that it's done, it's done. Samurott doesn't even look that good in Y and it's not exactly that strong in competitive so I don't think I'll ever use it, but I don't want to release it either. Right now it's just sitting in Box 100 in my Pokebank and I never want to see it again ;__;

I think we've all had our transfer regrets but for some reason this one was very physically troubling...like ten minutes after I transferred I realized what I had done and sort of just froze and stared at the screen and had a little trouble breathing...like wow how OCD do you have to be for the characters you are imagining in a video game to cause actual physical distress...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)