Media One Piece (spoilers!)

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
how does flag fruit mean you turn stuff hard lol, are flags hard or smth doesn't make too much sense to me but i guess he's strong so w/e

uragg

is a Contributor Alumnus
ohh ok that makes sense, still seems like the fruit itself does not give him much added combat power (i guess he can reshape stuff like that bull thing he made) but there's probably other catches/uses i'm not seeing or smth

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah... just like every great fighter in OP, he probably just naturally has a shit-ton of physical strength, that allows him to really abuse the fruit. I mean, that's what every Zoan does, and many Paramecea like Luffy too.

Based on the child-flashback-arc, Gomu Gomu is even a pretty useless fruit ability without practice and incredible physical abilities.

Yeah... just like every great fighter in OP, he probably just naturally has a shit-ton of physical strength, that allows him to really abuse the fruit. I mean, that's what every Zoan does, and many Paramecea like Luffy too.

Based on the child-flashback-arc, Gomu Gomu is even a pretty useless fruit ability without practice and incredible physical abilities.
hasn't Oda said that the real advantage of a Devil fruit is that an eater can keep making up new and more powerful techniques based on sheer creativity? Think of Kuma, he has the Paw Paw fruit and can push things...Including pain itself :v4:

Luffy is really powerful in combat because he has insane creativity as well as sheer brute strength. Then he also uses things like the Gomu Gomu no mi for utility purposes, the Gomu Gomu UFO comes to mind.

It just seems to me that in One Piece, devil fruit users are judged based on their creativity, as well as physical prowess.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not much creativity needed when you swamp continents at will. I'd say even BB's fruit requires more creativity than that at least in execution.

Except for WB and his shake shake fruit, right?
We should remember that this fruit in particular requires extreme self control and total knowledge of its effects. When BB took over it he almost sunk his own teammates and unknowingly sent a friggin Tsunami to a distant island. WB also demonstrated lot's of creativity in using it as a weapon booster (imbuing his spear with it), deflector and precise long range attacks along with the usual quake/wide direction attacks.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not much creativity needed when you swamp continents at will. I'd say even BB's fruit requires more creativity than that at least in execution.
Except for WB and his shake shake fruit, right?
You are both talking as if the only thing you have to do with the Gura Gura no Mi is use it and bam, world destroyed. It takes mastering of the fruit to be able to apply the quakes where you want, the intensity you want, and even to the substance where you want to do it. A weak character probably wouldn't even be able to split a rock apart, let alone the earth or the air and all the shit that WB did. Yeah he got owned a bit in Marineford, but come on give him some credit, the dude was super old and still held the tittle of the strongest man. Just because he was the strongest man alive doesn't mean that he should 1 v 1 the whole Marines force.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
man i love when flamingo loses his normally cool temper

and its almost foreshadowed that luffy will smash his shades off by the end of this arc. get HYPED

Speaking about foreshadowing, what does everyone think about the new JPN opening theme where they had:

Sanji vs. Kizaru
Zoro vs. Fujitora
Luffy vs Akainu (who else)

That says a lot of things. First of all Sanji is due to becoming much more powerful than he already is, and Green Bull is most likely gonna be taken down by someone else by the crew or even someone allied to the Mugiwara's.

Speaking about foreshadowing, what does everyone think about the new JPN opening theme where they had:

Sanji vs. Kizaru
Zoro vs. Fujitora
Luffy vs Akainu (who else)

That says a lot of things. First of all Sanji is due to becoming much more powerful than he already is, and Green Bull is most likely gonna be taken down by someone else by the crew or even someone allied to the Mugiwara's.
I think it's a perfect matchup, but it still surprised me. I'm glad you brought it up, A5Dragon. I still can't believe that Sanji is 1v1ing Kizaru, but it makes perfect sense based on Sanji's great observational Haki skills and Borsalino's primarily melee based kicking-combat.

Isho Vs. Zoro doesn't surprise me that much, they're both extremely proficient swordsmen, and the anime even added a scene where the two met before Issho met the other straw hats. They already somewhat duked it out in the manga. It's a cool matchup to be sure.

Luffy Vs Akainu Vs Blackbeard. Ah, the three big players in One Piece, not counting Yonkos, Kuzan, etc. Each of them are intense combatants with completely different ideologies and personalities. I was surprised to see Luffy hitting Akainu with Armament Haki without any side effects. I though Akainu had found a way to get around Haki and still come out on top. There's no way they won't physically clash in the future, I just wonder what the battle will be like. And then there's Black Beard, jolly, powerful, and incredibly evil, he's clearly become the biggest "big bad" in the series. He has a crew with multiple devil fruits, and the Yami Yamn no Mi which borders on broken in the One Piece world. I can't wait to see him and Luffy meet again.

uragg

is a Contributor Alumnus
wtf why always brake at super cool parts....

guess sabo is pretty stronf as expected, confident vs big nigs and showing off that hardening haki stuff

not sure if grape plan will work, but i'm sure there'll be many more gratuitous comedic usopp shots as it develops =]

Things are really heating up in all fronts of the story (except maybe Sanji and co.)
I hope Diamante gets to flex his stuff a little bit more in the finals. It almost seemed like he was going to
get in on the action but then stopped himself when he saw Burgess riling up (I wouldn't blame him, but he is supposed
to be an executive). Excited to see more flag flag stuff.

Also, wow Pica. Don Flamingo really set his whole fortress up to take advantage of all his subordinates/hidden spots.
Although I don't know how much of the place was created by King Riku. So how many big guys have we yet to see in
Don Flamingo's crew. And what exactly is the position of the sticky fruit guy? I'm a little confused with the whole ranking system of the Don Flamingo Crew. Does anyone else feel like his crew is more established/bigger/more organized than any other villain crew we've seen so far?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone else feel like his crew is more established/bigger/more organized than any other villain crew we've seen so far?
Eh, that's to be expected. Doflamingo rules a country, is the king of underworld and has a yonkou as his biggest client, after all. His crew couldn't be a bunch of pushovers.

(take fucking notes, Crocodile)

Things are really heating up in all fronts of the story (except maybe Sanji and co.)
I hope Diamante gets to flex his stuff a little bit more in the finals. It almost seemed like he was going to
get in on the action but then stopped himself when he saw Burgess riling up (I wouldn't blame him, but he is supposed
to be an executive). Excited to see more flag flag stuff.

Also, wow Pica. Don Flamingo really set his whole fortress up to take advantage of all his subordinates/hidden spots.
Although I don't know how much of the place was created by King Riku. So how many big guys have we yet to see in
Don Flamingo's crew. And what exactly is the position of the sticky fruit guy? I'm a little confused with the whole ranking system of the Don Flamingo Crew. Does anyone else feel like his crew is more established/bigger/more organized than any other villain crew we've seen so far?
The Donquixote Pirates/Family are organized like this:

At the top, you have Donflamingo. He leads the entire organization which is based in Dressrosa. Donflamingo is both captain and king of Dressrosa, and is also active in the underground under the alias "Joker".

Below him are three different groups or teams, the special ops team, the soldier team, and the special powers team. Each team is lead by an executive, with Pica leading the special ops, Diamante leading the soldiers, and Trebol leading the special devil fruit users. Additionally there are a few miscellaneous executives and members that operate outside the standard three groups. Vergo, for example, was placed in the Marines to act as a mole. This chart can help :)

As for my thoughts on the chapter, I'm very interested in some of the minor details dropped during the arena scene. Blackbeard being "the hottest ticket in the pirate world" and commanding "10 giant captains" speaks about just how far Teach has come since the timeskip. Also of interest to me is Sabo's haki-imbued attack "Dragon Talons". Perhaps Monkey D. Dragon has been a mentor to Sabo, and has trained him personally in combat.

Last edited:
Hmmm, that kind of makes me wonder what the power difference is between the minor officers and the execs. I personally see Oda trying to bring up Franky's power level to something close to the big 3 since he pretty much foddered buffalo and baby-5 together and senior pink as well. Another thing I just took notice of is that so far, there is no overarching theme for don flamingos team so far. I mentioned earlier that the kingdom looks a lot like Gaudi's architecture (which is in Barcelona, Spain). Violet fits into this mold, but the others don't really. Anyone else find any common themes between his crew? I guess there doesn't have to be for every single villain.

Probably what they meant by "giant". All the BB pirates are huge. It's interesting because excluding stronger there are only 8 BB pirates so they might have recruited even more monsters.. but I think it would be really crazy is stronger was a captain of his own army. The interactions with his subordinates are already making me giggle. If he is the 9th then that means they've only recruited 1 other member.. And this is me using the literal meaning of giant and assuming it wasn't poorly translated.

And imo the image above is one of the most iconic in the manga.

EDIT @ above, maybe not a theme but yeah you can tell oda took a lot of inspiration from the Spanish. Mostly the names.

Last edited:

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Technically Zoro/Luffy can just one shot Pica with a haki infused move, the thing is Pica just go and absorb himself and disappear while collpasing the castle around them, which is why Viola will be needed to read his mind. Interested to see how this goes down.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Technically Zoro/Luffy can just one shot Pica with a haki infused move, the thing is Pica just go and absorb himself and disappear while collpasing the castle around them, which is why Viola will be needed to read his mind. Interested to see how this goes down.
What indicates Zoro/Luffy can oneshot Pica? We know for a fact that Vergo>Sanji. Pica has the same rank as Vergo so he's not going to be some pushover, and Zoro is only a tiny bit stronger than Sanji if at all, so at the very least, Pica will pose a challenge to Zoro, although we don't know the gap between Luffy and the other Strawhats as well. Pica also has the advantage considering how he IS the fighting environment, he knows where the Strawhats are at all times now, and considering how Violet couldn't find him earlier, chances are the Strawhats have no vision of him. This is going to stall them for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)