Underrated Sets and Pokemon

terrako3o.png

In every generation and every tier, there are the underdogs--the neglected and the underused, cast aside in favor of the more well-known Pokemon. This thread aims to find underrated sets and or Pokemon that function well in the Ubers Metagame. So basically post your set and a small description, not an analysis but enough so we get the general idea why we should use it and what niche it fills.

NO SHITTY GIMMICKS.

I don't care about how your Ratatta 6-0'ed a guy with 3000 ACRE.

Edgar:

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Sylveon does actually pretty well, it's not as gimmicky as you may think. The idea of the set is just to support the team with Wish and Heall Bell, works great with Mega Kanga, Palkia and Dialga.

Faint:

Mewtwo @ Mega Stone X
Trait: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Nature: Naive (+ Spe - SpDef)
- Psystrike
- Fire Blast
- Low Kick
- Taunt / Stone edge

kd24 used this against me in a match w/ explosion as the final move and it caused me a lot of trouble. I discussed this set in #ubers about a week ago with a few others and it while some were skeptical others thought it was neat. It was pointed out by Melee_Mewtwo that there may not be much merit to use this set > regular MM2-X with Taunt, Low Kick and EdgeQuake which is understandable, but in some cases this may be better. You have the surprise factor which will force out physically defensive mons that would otherwise check MM2-X only to hit them with a Psystrike. Obviously Fire Blast will OHKO the likes of Scizor, Genesect etc with ease while 2HKOing Aegislash as well. Low Kick is still a very powerful move w/ STAB and the large amount of heavy mons in the tier. Taunt can be used as your 4th move but I personally prefer Stone Edge for the likes of YGod and Ho-Oh.

And before anyone calcs it: this sets Psystrike > max Atk MM2-X Zen Headbutt.

Malefic:

Xerneas @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 Hp / 252 SpD / 8 Def
Nature: Calm
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Thunder Wave
- Roar / Toxic

People use RestTalk defensive Xerneas, and in most cases, this is just better. RestTalk is self-sufficient, but just too passive and eventually ends up overwhelmed. If you play defensive Xern well, you won't even need to use Rest; anyway, by using RestTalk, you are essentially expending 2 moveslots that could otherwise be filled with utility moves that support the team.

The "underrated" element here is Thunder Wave, which provides awesome utility when used on a set like this, which can simultaneously provide Aromatherapy support, and retain a respectable offensive presence with Fairy Aura Moonblast. With Twave and the EVs, you can cripple most setup sweepers even if it has to take a hit in the process.
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Fairy Aura Xerneas: 334-394 (73.4 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Roar can be run in the last moveslot, ideally with hazard support (SR minimally, Spikes is recommended - Ferro is a great setter). Roaring on predicted switches is highly effective on this set as the opponent's switches when facing this set (as with all Xern, generally) are often highly predictable. Roar can also phaze out setup sweepers like CM Arceus formes if Paralysis isn't the best option. Toxic can also be run to put these sweepers on a timer but is generally inferior.

Kejmur:

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD or 16 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
-Play Rough
-Knock Off / SuperPower / Ice Punch

Simple and IMO effective set. Fairy/Water typing is perfect for Ubers metagame and this set hits decently hard even by Ubers standards (thanks to Huge Power). Aqua Jet is obvious priority (mostly for Blaziken though, you also easily switch on both his STAB attacks). With Assault Vest Kyurem-W Ice Beam technically deals no damage and you can for example tank Thunder from Non-Specs Palkia if you mispredict as well. So far I like how it works as a bulky pivot with good resistances to abuse (and 100/80 bulk with Assault Vest is just good enough :D). Really appreciates Wish support and fortunately he has great synergy with pink blobs as he easily takes fighting attacks aimed on blobs. Knock Off is obviously for team support, as knocking off items may be annoying for your opponents, but SuperPower is fine option as well (if you want to dent Dialga and Ferrothorn harder) and Ice Punch is your best bet if you want to somewhat hurt Groudon. Something I recommend to at least try, I'm still surprised with pretty decent results so far ;). And while investing in special defense instead of HP may be better with AV, sometimes I want this Azumarill to tank some weaker physical hits (like Support Groudon EQ) which HP spread is better at than SpD one obviously. But if you don't care about this, just go with standard 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD Adamant choice ;).

ZoroarkForever:

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance

Ok so I'm a Zoroark aficionado so here's a Zoroark set. SD Zoroark is designed for use on hyper-offensive teams where multiple must-answer threats like EKiller, MGar, and Xerneas reside. Zoroark can masquerade as one of the aforementioned pokemon to force a switch into something that counters its false identity (w/e its masquerading as) and cripple/outright KO it. For example, bringing it in on a Xerneas disguised as regular Gengar or Palkia disguised as EKiller will usually force a switch and provide a free SD and hazard damage. At +2, Knock Off is more powerful than Adamant Lum EKiller's +2 ESpeed vs. pokemon holding an item, while sucker punch is slightly less powerful, allowing it to severely cripple pokemon like Groudon. With SR+Spikes up, it can potentially sweep frailer teams at +2 with Sucker Punch. An adamant nature is chosen because Zoroark really needs all the power it can get and still reaches 309 speed, which beats out positive natured base 90s. Focus Sash, while it does require hazards off your side of the field, makes sure Zoroark lives a hit as its bulk is nonexistant. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with Zoroark after testing and the mindgames it causes, and I believe it has some potential down the the road. This set hates support Arceus/Arceus in general, but hey, that's what you have MGar for.

Zoro does work vs. Orch: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-95680914

Last edited:
Ok since you posted a Terrikion picture, a Terrikion set you shall get.

Terrikion @ Muscle Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly Nature
~ Swords Dance / Rock Polish
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake / Rock Polish

The idea with this set is to fake a Scarf set and set-up on the switch. Earthquake is there so you don't get hard walled by Aegislash.

Time to post the Sylveon set that everbody knows!

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Sylveon does actually pretty well, it's not as gimmicky as you may think. The idea of the set is just to support the team with Wish and Heall Bell, works great with Mega Kanga, Palkia and Dialga.

Last edited:
Needs more quick attack (XY laddercast watchers understand this)
but anyway off to my set

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 SDef
- Iron Head / Body Slam
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- stealth Rock / Body Slam
This is something I've been testing with scarf/specs ogre, and it has the ability to save mons from the brink, set up SR, xerneas check, and a pivot, though it can spread paralysis if you don't need SR or stab coverage.

Mewtwo @ Mega Stone X
- Psystrike
- Fire Blast
- Low Kick
- Taunt / Stone edge

kd24 used this against me in a match w/ explosion as the final move and it caused me a lot of trouble. I discussed this set in #ubers about a week ago with a few others and it while some were skeptical others thought it was neat. It was pointed out by Melee_Mewtwo that there may not be much merit to use this set > regular MM2-X with Taunt, Low Kick and EdgeQuake which is understandable, but in some cases this may be better. You have the surprise factor which will force out physically defensive mons that would otherwise check MM2-X only to hit them with a Psystrike. Obviously Fire Blast will OHKO the likes of Scizor, Genesect etc with ease while 2HKOing Aegislash as well. Low Kick is still a very powerful move w/ STAB and the large amount of heavy mons in the tier. Taunt can be used as your 4th move but I personally prefer Stone Edge for the likes of YGod and Ho-Oh.

And beefore anyone calcs it: this sets Psystrike > max Atk MM2-X Zen Headbutt.

Will-o-wisp on mewtwo y! This makes up for its low defense and since so many physical attackers are sent in to deal with MMY, and MMY is faster than them, it's really easy to spread burns to them. Burning yveltal on its sucker punch is pretty cool. Don't see why no one really uses it.

Gardevoir@its Mega Stone
Timid 252Spd/252 SpA
-Calm Mind
-Subsitute
-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock/Thunderbolt

Sub Calm mind Mega Gardevoir! A lot of people underestimate how powerful its Pixilate Hyper Voice is, especially after calm mind boost. And don't tell me shit like GeoXerneas outclass this because 100Spd is faster than Xerneas itself and Yveltal. It also hit harder than Arceus-Fairy (Plus this doesn't spend your Arceus Slot) . Psyshock so that you are not Gengar Bait and hit Chan/Blissey. Thunderbolt hit Ho-oh and Kyogre and at least hit some steel neutrally.

Calm 252Hp/ 252 Sdef
-Hyper Voice
-Heal bell
-Pain Split
-Wil-O-wisp/Toxic/thunder wave

Heal Bell support. Sylveon gives this set competition but this hit a lot harder.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Gardevoir@its Mega Stone
Timid 252Spd/252 SpA
-Calm Mind
-Subsitute
-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock/Thunderbolt

Sub Calm mind Mega Gardevoir! A lot of people underestimate how powerful its Pixilate Hyper Voice is, especially after calm mind boost. And don't tell me shit like GeoXerneas outclass this because 100Spd is faster than Xerneas itself and Yveltal. It also hit harder than Arceus-Fairy (Plus this doesn't spend your Arceus Slot) . Psyshock so that you are not Gengar Bait and hit Chan/Blissey. Thunderbolt hit Ho-oh and Kyogre and at least hit some steel neutrally.

Calm 252Hp/ 252 Sdef
-Hyper Voice
-Heal bell
-Pain Split

Heal Bell support. Sylveon gives this set competition but this hit a lot harder.
What exactly does the first set accomplish? The Speed is far from an advantage over Geomancy Xerneas, considering Geomancy Xerneas outspeeds this and essentially everything relevant to the metagame upon setting up (which also allows it to invest more in bulk and use a Modest nature). Xerneas also has greater immediate power after setting up due to the +2 boost, better overall bulk, is less Mega Gengar food than Gardevoir (as it can outspeed and OHKO Mega Gengar after setting up, while Gardevoir is outsped) and that set cannot even set up repeatedly (one of the greatest disadvantages of Xerneas) due to its complete lack of recovery combined with Substitute, and often entry hazards. Moreover, it fails to overcome the vast majority of Xerneas' checks in any way, meaning that almost every decent team has a solid way to handle it, while it also has some checks that Xerneas does not, in the form of powerful physical Scarf Pokemon such as Zekrom.

Xerneas can even run a Calm Mind set of its own, which uses its substantial bulk to set up and overcome many of its checks (Gyro Ball Aegislash, Scizor, Ho-Oh and the like fail to deal significant damage to a physically defensive Xerneas), using RestTalk for recovery and proceeding to set up until it is extremely powerful and difficult to take down.

The latter set you proposed is also barely worth using. It may be somewhat more powerful than cleric Xerneas or Sylveon, but both have better bulk (not only in stats but also in access to Leftovers), and Sylveon has a far better recovery option that also supports its team, which are generally far more valuable features for support Pokemon, especially if they are intended to check the likes of Yveltal and Palkia.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Calm 252Hp/ 252 Sdef
-Hyper Voice
-Heal bell
-Pain Split

252 SpA Lustrous Orb Palkia Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Gardevoir: 141-166 (41.4 - 48.8%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Gardevoir: 148-175 (43.5 - 51.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Yeah no. Gardevoir can't reliably take on Palkia and Yveltal which are two major pros of Sylveon.

If you're hellbent on using Mega Gardevoir then try Sub OR Calm Mind + 3-attacks with para or Web support maybe, this frees up a moveslot to run Shadow Ball for Aegislash which is a nice perk over special Xern or CM Fairy Arc (who usually runs Psyshock for Gengar and Ho-Oh). STAB Psyshock hits Kyogre and Ho-Oh hard enough to where you don't need TBolt iirc.

Mewtwo @ Mega Stone X
- Psystrike
- Fire Blast
- Low Kick
- Taunt / Stone edge
[...]
This is actually one of the better sets that I faced, simply because Special Mewtwo X is the ultimate bait simply because the attacking power of the regular Form and the Megavolution is the same: In other words depending on your enemy check or situation you can megavolve at the right time. MewtwoX fears flying and fairy type moves while regular Dark and Bug.

Btw here is a "Setup"

Mewtwo-Y
Trait:Imsomnia
EVs 252Spe/252Spa/4SpeD
-Psystrike
-Fire Blast/Aura Sphere
-Calm Mind
-Rest

Here is yet another Mewtwo Set which relies on the correct timing of Megavolution. As you see, it is the only Pokemon which can setup with Calm Mind and Rest, and this is how it goes:
1)You Calm Mind til your satisfied
2)You Rest to heal up and get rid of status
3)next Turn You Megavolve

This set is beast against Teams which relies on status to bring this beast down. The only problems so far with this MMY is that the couverage isn't the best. But its unique traits of completly healing in one turn, high stats and power makes it a terrifying setup sweeper.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Gardevoir@its Mega Stone
Timid 252Spd/252 SpA
-Calm Mind
-Subsitute
-Hyper Voice
-Psyshock/Thunderbolt

Calm 252Hp/ 252 Sdef
-Hyper Voice
-Heal bell
-Pain Split

68/65/135 with a megastone >>>>>>>> 95/65/130 with no megastone

just saying.
This is actually one of the better sets that I faced, simply because Special Mewtwo X is the ultimate bait simply because the attacking power of the regular Form and the Megavolution is the same: In other words depending on your enemy check or situation you can megavolve at the right time. MewtwoX fears flying and fairy type moves while regular Dark and Bug.

Btw here is a "Setup"

Mewtwo-Y
Trait:Imsomnia
EVs 252Spe/252Spa/4SpeD
-Psystrike
-Fire Blast/Aura Sphere
-Calm Mind
-Rest

Here is yet another Mewtwo Set which relies on the correct timing of Megavolution. As you see, it is the only Pokemon which can setup with Calm Mind and Rest, and this is how it goes:
1)You Calm Mind til your satisfied
2)You Rest to heal up and get rid of status
3)next Turn You Megavolve

This set is beast against Teams which relies on status to bring this beast down. The only problems so far with this MMY is that the couverage isn't the best. But its unique traits of completly healing in one turn, high stats and power makes it a terrifying setup sweeper.
I'd rather just use cm cresselia with lum berry if that's the case. I mean it has less problems than the set you're using since it can at least afford to take a phys hit lol and it has far better bulk.

68/65/135 with a megastone >>>>>>>> 95/65/130 with no megastone

just saying.

I'd rather just use cm cresselia with lum berry if that's the case. I mean it has less problems than the set you're using since it can at least afford to take a phys hit lol and it has far better bulk.
Cress is piss weak lol, and Mewtwo isnt a "bulky booster" or anything, Rest+CM is basically just another way to block status like Taunt+CM

Xerneas @ Leftovers
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Thunder Wave
- Roar / Toxic

People use RestTalk defensive Xerneas, and in most cases, this is just better. RestTalk is self-sufficient, but just too passive and eventually ends up overwhelmed. If you play defensive Xern well, you won't even need to use Rest; anyway, by using RestTalk, you are essentially expending 2 moveslots that could otherwise be filled with utility moves that support the team.

The "underrated" element here is Thunder Wave, which provides awesome utility when used on a set like this, which can simultaneously provide Aromatherapy support, and retain a respectable offensive presence with Fairy Aura Moonblast. With Twave and the EVs, you can cripple most setup sweepers even if it has to take a hit in the process.
+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Fairy Aura Xerneas: 334-394 (73.4 - 86.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Roar can be run in the last moveslot, ideally with hazard support (SR minimally, Spikes is recommended - Ferro is a great setter). Roaring on predicted switches is highly effective on this set as the opponent's switches when facing this set (as with all Xern, generally) are often highly predictable. Roar can also phaze out setup sweepers like CM Arceus formes if Paralysis isn't the best option. Toxic can also be run to put these sweepers on a timer but is generally inferior.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Xerneas @ Leftovers
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Thunder Wave
- Roar / Toxic

It's not a matter of playing Xerneas better or a set being superior. RestTalk Xerneas has invaluable longevity for more defensive playstyles, and is rarely overwhelmed alongside several sturdy walls that synergize well with it. The set you propose works within the specific context of the team you put it in, and fits better there than RestTalk Xerneas would. For more stall-oriented play, your set would underperform.

It's not a matter of playing Xerneas better or a set being superior. RestTalk Xerneas has invaluable longevity for more defensive playstyles, and is rarely overwhelmed alongside several sturdy walls that synergize well with it. The set you propose works within the specific context of the team you put it in, and fits better there than RestTalk Xerneas would. For more stall-oriented play, your set would underperform.
This is true.

"People use RestTalk defensive Xerneas, and in most cases, this is just better."
What i meant by this is not that this set > RestTalk Xern, but rather, with regard to the more generally seen playstyles this meta (balance, quickstall), this set is a better fit on many teams than RestTalk, which is really only better on full stall teams that are constantly on the defensive and require Xern to repeatedly switch into the threats it checks. Most other teams would be better off forgoing the longevity RestTalk confers on Xern for the utility of Thunder Wave + another move while retaining Xern's ability to handle things like Yveltal and MMX when the need arises. Just wanted to clarify this because my wording sucks and the purpose of my previous post is to present a different take on defensive Xern that suits some (*most*, but this is arguable) teams better, rather than claim one set is better than another.

I test this Pokemon out on smurf account and I need to say so far I really like the results. Really decent Kyurem-W, Palkia, Yvetal and Darkrai check and in general this fella checks dark/dragon types pretty well and I'm still surprised how well it actually works. Also the ability to check Blaziken is something that any team appreciates.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD or 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
~ Aqua Jet
~ Waterfall
~ Play Rough
~ Knock Off / SuperPower / Ice Punch

Simple and IMO effective set. Fairy/Water typing is perfect for Ubers metagame and this set hits decently hard even by Ubers standards (thanks to Huge Power). Aqua Jet is obvious priority (mostly for Blaziken though, you also easily switch on both his STAB attacks). With Assault Vest Kyurem-W Ice Beam technically deals no damage and you can for example tank Thunder from Non-Specs Palkia if you mispredict as well. So far I like how it works as a bulky pivot with good resistances to abuse (and 100/80 bulk with Assault Vest is just good enough :D). Really appreciates Wish support and fortunately he has great synergy with pink blobs as he easily takes fighting attacks aimed on blobs. Knock Off is obviously for team support, as knocking off items may be annoying for your opponents, but SuperPower is fine option as well (if you want to dent Dialga and Ferrothorn harder) and Ice Punch is your best bet if you want to somewhat hurt Groudon. Something I recommend to at least try, I'm still surprised with pretty decent results so far ;). And while investing in special defense instead of HP may be better with AV, sometimes I want this Azumarill to tank some weaker physical hits (like Support Groudon EQ) which HP spread is better at than SpD one obviously. But if you don't care about this, just go with standard 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD Adamant choice ;).

Last edited:

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
252+ SpA Life Orb Yveltal Oblivion Wing vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 149-177 (36.9 - 43.9%)
252 SpA Palkia Thunder vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 214-252 (53.1 - 62.5%)
+2 252 SpA Darkrai Sludge Bomb vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 320-378 (79.4 - 93.7%)
+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 302-356 (74.9 - 88.3%)

Not too shabby actually.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spa
Nature: Adamant
- King's Shield
- Gyro Ball / Iron Head
- Shadow Ball
- Head Smash

I find this Aegislash to be seriously unexpected and underrated. Head Smash is a guaranteed OHKO against Ho-oh, a very common switch in to Aegislash and one of the most fearsome pokemon in Ubers. Head Smash also does massive damage against any Yveltal, and KO's offensive variants. It also surprises Rayquaza.

I use Gyro Ball because GeoXern seems to be a thing but if you're not too concerned about it Iron head hits most ubers harder. shadow ball is there to hurt Mewtwo, Giratina on the switch, Lugia more reliably than Head Smash, and the more physically bulky ubers. King's shield is there to troll contact physical attackers such as Zekrom.

The premise of the set is to lure in common 'slash counters and hurt them severely with Head Smash. You don't want to be too gung-ho with Head Smash as that ruins the surprise factor and will probably cripple Aegislash in process, Due to the recoil, it's low HP, and the higher average HP of Ubers.

posting here because facepalm told me to .-.

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance

Ok so I'm a Zoroark aficionado so here's a Zoroark set. SD Zoroark is designed for use on hyper-offensive teams where multiple must-answer threats like EKiller, MGar, and Xerneas reside. Zoroark can masquerade as one of the aforementioned pokemon to force a switch into something that counters its false identity (w/e its masquerading as) and cripple/outright KO it. For example, bringing it in on a Xerneas disguised as regular Gengar or on Palkia disguised as EKiller will usually force a switch and provide a free SD and hazard damage. At +2, Knock Off is more powerful than Adamant Lum EKiller's +2 ESpeed vs. pokemon holding an item, while sucker punch is slightly less powerful, allowing it to severely cripple pokemon like Groudon. With SR+Spikes up, it can potentially sweep frailer teams at +2 with Sucker Punch. An adamant nature is chosen because Zoroark really needs all the power it can get and still reaches 309 speed, which beats out positive natured base 90s. Focus Sash, while it does require hazards off your side of the field, makes sure Zoroark lives a hit as its bulk is nonexistant. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with Zoroark after testing and the mindgames it causes, and I believe it has some potential down the the road. This set hates support Arceus/Arceus in general, but hey, that's what you have MGar for.

Zoro does work vs. Orch: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-95680914

And yes. I do realize this is written very poorly with bad grammar.​

Last edited:

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald/protect
- Earthquake/protect

The gif explains perfectly why quagod is so fucking epic. Thanks to unaware it gives zero fucks about most set up sweepers. The most well known examples include sd arceus forms/blaziken/mmx/notasimportantmonsgohere. It can switch in with impunity on blaze/ekiller/support phys mons and give zero fucks while being able to force them out with toxic stalling. The last two moves are depending on preference with protect to help increase toxic damage while also deterring hjk blaze which would otherwise be able to overpower it, eq helps for shit mons like mega gengar that try to get all over quagod's ass, scald is to fish for burns on bulky steels like zor and the likes. Overall no other mon can check all the threats that quagsire checks and I've had some fair amount of sucess with it so w/e. Also this isn't an analysis so shitposting/tldr is fine.

props to edgrr for the sexyass gif.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Reshiram @ Life Orb
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid or Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Blue Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Roost / Focus Blast / Solarbeam

So Reshiram was basically neglected after nerf to drought, but that doesn't mean its unviable in the slightest. This Reshiram tries to release ludicrously powerful hits by setting up its own Sun. Combine this with Life Orb and Reshiram can do fun stuff in sun with Blue Flare like deal 40%+ damage to Ho-oh with a resisted move and 2HKO Kyogre lacking defensive investment. Conveniently Blue Flare tags enough damage to leave a mark after Regenerator to Ho-oh and deals enough to shove it in KO range for Draco Meteor. Its bulky enough to withstand Surf and Water Spout from Kyogre in Sun, so Roost is a viable option for better standing up to stuff like Specs Kyogre and Scarf Kyogre if you Sunny Day as it comes in. Focus Blast is there for wrecking Tyranitar. Solarbeam is there for hitting Specially Defensive Kyogre hard without resorting to Draco Meteor and also for whacking Water Arceus. That being said, Reshiram isn't entirely helpless against these two without it. Blue Flare in Sun will actually 2HKO 252 HP Water Arceus and 3HKO Specially Defensive Kyogre most of the time (252+ SpA Life Orb Turboblaze Reshiram Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Kyogre in Sun: 143-169 (35.3 - 41.8%) -- 83.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery). However they'll probably Recover Spam / Rest stall Sun turns out which kinda messes with your ability to just "lol" at them. Solarbeam on the other hand deals >75% to Water Arceus and 2HKOes all Kyogre which prevents such shenanigans.

Dragon Pulse is an option but Draco Meteor and Blue Flare spam is too much to give up.

The biggest problem with this thing is getting it in safely, but once in it can wreck havoc.

This replay pretty much shows how scary this thing is. Yes there are misplays in it but Reshiram was able to win the game when given the chance.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SAtk / 104 Spd / 152 Def
Modest Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder

OMG Aromatherapy and Geomancy on the same set? YES! Not everyday is sweep day so let's use this with a little bit of brain.
Thunder OHKO non fully defensive Ho-oh and Focus Miss isn't so needed.
Enough speed to outspeed up to scarf Terrakion at +2, the remaining in physical bulk.

Reviver

Banned deucer.
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SAtk / 104 Spd / 152 Def
Modest Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder

OMG Aromatherapy and Geomancy on the same set? YES! Not everyday is sweep day so let's use this with a little bit of brain.
Thunder OHKO non fully defensive Ho-oh and Focus Miss isn't so needed.
Enough speed to outspeed up to scarf Terrakion at +2, the remaining in physical bulk.
I like that set actually. You can fit a cleric into a HO team which is nice.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Ok since you posted a Terrikion picture, a Terrikion set you shall get.

Terrikion @ Muscle Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly Nature
~ Swords Dance / Rock Polish
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ Earthquake / Rock Polish

The idea with this set is to fake a Scarf set and set-up on the switch. Earthquake is there so you don't get hard walled by Aegislash.
If you want to bluff a choice item, wouldn't using a type-resist berry be better, or lum berry so you set up on WoW users? For example, Payapa Berry allows you to set up on Mewtwo. Equally speaking, a Passho Berry would be good against Palkia and Kyogre, while Shuca and Chople for Groudon and Mewtwo-X respectively

It'd depend on what the teams needs you to set up on. I'd think that being able to set up on Ken would be idealistic, as you RP as they protect to get +2 Speed (they can't risk Scarf, right?) and then you can easily EQ and KO, since Chople would allow you to survive a HJK at +0 (or you could RP again predicting either HJK or protect since they are forced too protect since you outrun +2 Ken after a RP boost).

Also, maybe use Adamant over Jolly if you use RP? You don't need Jolly if you're running RP imo. The berries should give you the set up opp. you are looking for.

Then again, wouldn't SubSalac just be easier? It still bluffs choice, only you can sub on status and sub till you hit Salac vs. Scarfers, etc. You'd lost EQ though, but that would be the price I suppose. You'd do well against all stalls without unaware users, too.

Also, could Protect Terrakion work? HJK from Blaziken would fail and hurt itself, which is always rather nice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)