The Black Rampage

1. Introduction

So I wanted to make a team based around the great monster and wallbreaker Kyurem-B. After a lot of changes and Team Building I eventually came to this team, with which I have a won a couple of battles on Showdown and I even took number 1 in a local tournament with about 50 players.

I'm really happy already with the help I got from you guys, and if you can still help, it would certainly be appreciated.

The point of this is to make it in real life for Wifi Battling, so all levels are set to level 50.

(Up to date of 21/11/2014, this team has been undefeated in over 500 battles. Not exagerating)

2. Quick Glance

3. Team Building History
I'm sorry for the weird spoilers, but I can't get it right in the post editor ...

As stated above, I wanted to start of the team with Kyurem-B. I got myself a Lonely nature one, because I wanted to make him mixed without losing any speed. Kyurem-B would be the Poke to build around, and thats how it began.

The only things that is still sad for Kyurem-B is that his speed just falls down the good tiers. With things like Greninja, Terrakion en Keldeo running around, he'll never get a great chance of sweeping. Since he also doesn't have acces to any speed-boosting move, I had to find support in another way. This support comes easy is Sticky Web. This lowers the speed of any pokémon that makes ground contact.

Not to bad for support. Since only a few Pokémon actually get this move, I opted for Smeargle, since he can bring the most support (just everything :P).

Now, with Sticky Web support (and also Stealth Rock on Smeargle), I wanted to take a Rapid Spinner over a Defog Pokémon. No idea if this idee was good, but so far I'm liking the Excadrill I put up for this job.

Eventually I wanted some Volt-Turning combinations right here. So I went with Greninja and Magnezone at first. I chose Greninja for obvious reasons, and Magnezone for countering Kyurem-B's counterpokes. That didn't seem to help me alot though, so I opted to lose the Magnezone for Rotom-W and this has been working out far better up till now.

Finally I wanted to pick a Mega that suited the team. I have Sticky Web support, and I'm clearly in need of some sort of Defensive Mega. My choice fell between Venusaur en Heracross, but eventually Heracross seemed to be the better choice in this case.

Eventually I got some comments that really made sence to me, by Ignus. So I decided to change Smeargle to Togekiss, as suggested. Now, with Stealth Rocks gone, this wouldn't be enough. So I changed up my Steel Type Excadrill to Heatran.

Off course, I know lacked a Spinner, though with only 1 Hazard to be set up, I tought Defog would be more convenient, and with that Mega Scizor seemed a great candidate over Heracross.

Eventually after a lot of testing it seemed to me that I lacked a serieus Physical Wall. Off course, the typing of both Rotom-W and Togekiss help, but they aren't enough. After a little while it finally struck me that Landorus-T could be a great help, having both acces to some strong attacks (even uninvested) and even Knock Off.

4. Up Close! (Remember, all EVs are calculated at level 50)

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Teravolt | Lonely
29 | 31 | 31 | 31 | 31 | 31
100 Atk | 156 SpA | 252 Spd
Outrage | Fusion Bolt | Ice Beam | Earth Power

With Kyurem-B's massive Attack-stat, you can nearly 2HKO anything, which makes it almost impossible to switch in on. When facing this Pokémon, you have to make sure to predict around it. The fact that it carries a Life Orb only makes him more threatening. Outrage takes care of most stuff, while Fusion Bolt is a great second move to have to take down Flyers and Bulky Waters. Things like Garchomp, Gliscor and Landorus gets OHKO'd by Ice Beam, while Earth Power is there to deal Super Effective damage against those Pesky Steel Types.

I've chosen for 29 IVs in HP, because then your HP hits 199 instead of 200. Meaning you'll take less Stealth Rock damage and less Life Orb Damage.
Calcs:
100+ Atk Life Orb Kyurem-B Outrage vs 252 HP Conkeldurr: 81.1 - 95.7% (12,5% to OHKO after Stealth Rocks)
100+ Atk Life Orb Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 57.9 - 69% (Guarenteed 2HKO after Leftover Recovery)
156 SpA Life Orb Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs 252 HP Gliscor: 242.8 - 291.2%
156 SpA Life Orb Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 214.7 - 254.5%
156 SpA Life Orb Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs 252 HP M-Venusaur: 80.7 - 95.7% (56,3% to OHKO after Stealth Rocks)
156 SpA Life Orb Kyurem-B Earth Power vs 252 HP Aegislash (Shield): 51.4 - 60.4% (90,2% to 2HKO after Leftover Recovery)

I could go on all day for this list, but I think it's clear that Kyurem-B does massive damage against all major walls in this metagame.

Togekiss @ Rocky Helmet
Serene Grace | Calm
31 | 0 | 31 | 31 | 31 | 31
244 HP | 12 Def | 252 SpD
Dazzling Gleam | Air Slash | Thunder Wave | Roost

Like I said in the Team Building History, I got this sugestion from Ignus (down in the comments). Seeing as Togekiss is awesome, I didn't see much counter-arguments, not to try it out. And man, is this thing good. It counters so many Special treats (for Kyurem-B) like Latios and Charizard Y. It can even thank some hits from major treats like Rotom-W, Genesect and Thundurus. Sadly you can't T-Wave Electric Types anymore, but it just shows Togekiss' Bulk.

(It even takes Greninja's Ice Beam, so you can T-Wave it. Ice Beam does 58.6 - 70.6% damage to this Togekiss on level 50).

I decided to run 244 HP, since with that number, you take less Stealth Rock damage when you switch in. Air Slash is your main STAB (and yes you can get flinches, but that's not the biggest point here), while Dazzling Gleam is a good second STAB to hit Dragons and Fighting Types really hard. (The second one is really important since I kinda could get a problem with Fighting Types if I lose Togekiss early on). Roost is easy recovery which is so needed on this Pokémon.

At this point in time, I'm doubting whether to use Leftovers or Rocky Helmet. While Leftovers seem to be the better choice, Togekiss' bulk is often that good that you simply don't need it. In this situation, Rocky Helmet would work excellent as a replacement. Doing a bit of extra damage to contact moves like most of the Fighting Types.

Landorus-T @ Assault Vest
Intimidate | Adamant
31 | 31 | 31 | 0 | 31 | 31
252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 Def
Earthquake | Stone Edge | U-Turn | Knock Off

This Pokémon is just an awesome Physical Wall. With Intimidate, 252 HP and 252 Def, this thing can take Physical Hits, such as only a few can. It also knows Knock Off which is amazing to get rid of Life Orb, Leftovers or even a Choice Item. Pretty nice.

Earthquake and Stone Edge gave me all the coverage that I needed, so I had 2 free spots basically. U-Turn is great to get switch-initiative, while Knock Off (as stated above) is a great help for my entire team.

I made this guy fully Defensive, so it can take hits when necessary. Here are some calculations:
Calcs:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs Landorus-T: 26.5 - 32.1%
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird (+1) vs Landorus-T: 46.4 - 55.6% (16.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery)

252 Atk Mega-Pinsir Return (+1) vs Landorus-T: 55.6 - 66.3%

These calculations have been done factoring in the Intimidate that Landorus-T inflicts on them. I can keep going, putting on damage calculations, but I tought that Mega-Pinsir and Talonflame are the most frequent ones in this days metagame.

Assault Vest is an option over Leftovers if you want to take a hit better. It actually has proven to work out, and when you are in need of something to take a Special Hit, this thing actually doesn't do that bad :)

Heatran @ Leftovers
Flash Fire | Calm
196 HP | 28 Def | 4 SpA | 252 SpD | 28 Spd
Lava Plume | Earth Power | Stealth Rock | Roar

Wow, what an EV-spread right? Well, Heatran is my second Special Wall (to take the things that Togekiss can't, and visa versa), and I really meant for him to become one. With 252 EVs and a Calm Nature, Heatran can't even be OHKO'd by Greninja's Hydro Pump. (Not what you want to take, but common. That's impressive!)

I gave him 196 HP because he takes less Stealth Rock damage then. I wanted him to be faster than Mega-Venusaur, so I gave him 28 Spd EVs. At this point I had 32 EVs left to give, so I wanted to put them all in defense. Sadly enough his Stats doesn't change if you give him 28 or 32 EVs. So I was left with 4 EVs. Ow well, in SpA they go then. Might as well get in more damage.

Lava Plume hits a lot of things in this metagame, and the possible burn is actually really nice. Stealth Rocks are the reason I put Heatran on this team, and Roar is there to have a phaser, just incase. Only Earth Power falls out of place in some battles, but in other battles I'm just glad I have it.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Levitate | Modest
31 | 0 | 31 | 30 | 31 | 30
12 HP | 248 SpA | 248 Spd
Hydro Pump | Volt Switch | Hidden Power [Fire] | Trick

Now that I have a Physical Wall in Landorus-T, I could change my Rotom set, and that's exactly what I did. Now with Choice Scarf and Trick, I can outspeed almost anything I want, and when I see it fit, I can screw something up with Trick.

Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are the obvious choices, while HP [Fire] gives me some coverage incase I need it. Not that it's going to OHKO things like Ferrothorn and Scizor, but it's still going to do some nice damage.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Technician | Adamant
31 | 31 | 31 | 0 | 31 | 31
236 HP | 252 Atk | 20 SpD
Bullet Punch | U-Turn | Roost | Defog

Mega Scizor is the only Pokémon in my team with Priority, but boy, does it come handy. Bullet Punch from this thing has really saved me a lot, both on showdown as on real wifi battles.
U-Turn gives me switch initiative, which is nice in combination with Rotom-W and Landorus. Roost is to keep me healthy, while Defog is obviously there to get rid of Entry Hazards.

This thing is just a beast, and it doesn't need a Swords Dance to be 1.

Max Atk is the obvious choice here. with 236 HP he just takes 1 less point of damage from Stealth Rocks, while I put the rest in SpD to make him a bit more bulky in that regard.

5. Finishing words

I'd really appreciate any comment related to this team of mine. I'm open for any suggestion, so please do make some.

Rate my team when you have time for it, and any and all fixes of you guys will be looked into.

~ Black Rampage ~

Last edited:

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
Hi! Let's see what I can say that may help you out.

Let's start off by saying that sticky web isn't nearly as reliable is you would expect. It's inability to hit targets that are flying or who can levitate seriously restrict it's usefulness. Particularly with your team, you must plan for this when building your team. Kyruem's counters and checks are largely offensive, which means you must have an answer and a way to consistently clear out these threats. Choice Specs Latios is a good example of this. It's faster than all of your team excluding Greninja, and 1hko's everything excluding Excadrill, who is 2HKOed by surf. Charizard-Y is a similar situation, as is Charizard-X (Isn't hit by sticky web first turn in!), DD Dragonite, Landorus-I, Salamence and even Hydregion. Luckily, your Greninja can handle most, if not all, of these threats. But that also becomes a weakness. If you loose your Greninja, you loose one of your only means of revenge killing these threats. Sticky web can't handle these threats.

That said, I would suggest revising your team with that in mind. Specifically, there are two things you can do to remedy this. The first is replacing Smeargle. As I said, sticky web isn't reliable, and right now all your Smeargle is there for is sticky web. Instead, you should be focusing on revenge killing the listed threats. Kyruem's greatest strength is wall breaking, and should be used as such. So here's the first suggestion.
Replace Smeargle with Togekiss.
Example Set (In your format because it's super cool)

Togekiss | Leftovers
Serene Grace | Calm
252 HP | 252 SpDef
Thunder Wave | Air Slash | Dazzling Gleam | Roost

Much like your Smeargle, the point of this set is to set up for a late game Kyruem Sweep. A big part of this set is understanding that it's primarily a pivot. Thunder wave is only there to cripple those who can get in your way later on. Don't be greedy and expect flinch Hax to work. They won't. If you have a better choice (Like switching to Rotom), do it.

This isn't perfect, and take everything I say with a grain of salt. With this, you loose stealth rock, something vastly important, especially with the presence of Huge threats like Talonflame and Mega-Pinsir.

I don't have time to finish writing this now, but consider at least this first option. Good hunting!

Already thx for your post. I'll certainly check it out. I'd probably have to include a Stealth Rocker in the team, so I'll have to swap out some stuff, and see how my synergy will turn out.

I got a PO Import for my changes. Don't know how these will turn out, but I'm waiting a bit for respons from you guys.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 100 Atk / 156 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SDef / 160 Spd
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- U-turn

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SAtk
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SDef
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

I made some changes to the team, and I hope it's now better. I have a "bit" of a fighting weak. Togeiss kinda solves it, but on its own thats kinda hard. Also because of that I have a Lucario weak at the moment, so I really hope that one will get banned :P

Hey y'all. I changed the OP, with the last changes I made to the team. Just went first place with it on a tournament (though i had to change some items for item clause). I'm only doubting 2 changes I could do.

Heal Bell on Togekiss over Dazzling Gleam, and Rest on Rotom-W over Hidden Power [Fire].

Any toughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)