XY UU Beta Discussion (Read post #32)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reference to the earlier discussion about Rapid Spinners, I was thinking if Lucarionite gets banned in OU, then people will start using different Mega Pokemon to replace it, and that could potentially lead to Blastoise rising to OU.
No offense, but how do you figure that? To go from mega lucario to mega blastoise is going from pure offensive to balanced. I see mega cham or gard filling that niche better than blastoise tbh

| 51 | Blastoise | 3.10057% | 193862 | 3.415% | 156613 | 3.464% |
| 52 | Gardevoir | 3.07436% | 206153 | 3.632% | 155719 | 3.445% |
| 59 | Medicham | 2.90186% | 159909 | 2.817% | 125895 | 2.785% |

Blastoise and Gardevoir are just barely under OU. Mega Lucario is hogging up a ton of usage, once he's banned I'm definitely thinking Gardevoir will go up. But I don't actually think Blastoise will. Teams that use Lucario are offense-orientated, and Blastoise isn't fast enough and doesn't hit hard enough. And defensive teams will be using Vensuaur (aka WHY WON'T YOU FUCKING DIE) or Scizor. The lack of recovery, even Lefties, really limits Blastoise's allure for a defensive player. It totally could rise though: Lucario really does have a ton of usage, and Blastoise is #51 in OU.

Most offensive players will definitely go for other currently OU megas, e.g. Pinsir, Charizards, Mawile, T-Tar, Gyarados... but I think a decent enough portion will go for Medicham, Gardevoir or others. Lucario is just too good, the gap in power between it and other OU megas is a lot bigger than the gap between OU megas and current UU megas. Viability wise, there's just no reason to run UU megas over Lucario, but an argument can be made to run them over some of the other OU megas.

TM13IceBeam If Thundurus drops, it will probably go straight to BL, because Thundurus-T was banned and incarnate form is generally superior.
I'd like to see Forretress and Salamence in UU, but this is not very likely.

Personally I'd still think Thundurus is worth a try. It functions completely differently from his Therian forme, and besides OU (where Thundurus-I is rated higher on the viability list) is not the same metagame as UU, so Thundurus might function differently. Then again, IDK how much different would it be. If it's going to get banned, it'll probably be for different reasons, and not strictly "beats out Thundurus-T". Landorus already did that by basically being a stronger and bulkier version of Thundurus-T with a worse off defensive typing, but it's not like you could really exploit it lol

TM13IceBeam If Thundurus drops, it will probably go straight to BL, because Thundurus-T was banned and incarnate form is generally superior.
I'd like to see Forretress and Salamence in UU, but this is not very likely.
DDMence with Fire Fang/Outrage/Draco Meteor will be good. The Fire Fang is so it isn't affected by DM's SpAtk boost if they have Hippowdon and Jirachi on their team, if I use DM as Jirachi switches in and I have Fire Blast, then I can't hit it so hard. But I doubt it would stay, more broken than Cube, IMO. Forry won't drop because OU players are stupid.

No offense, but how do you figure that? To go from mega lucario to mega blastoise is going from pure offensive to balanced. I see mega cham or gard filling that niche better than blastoise tbh
Well, I think all of the Mega Pokemon will get boosted somewhat if Lucarionite goes. Obviously Blastoise won't be one of the main beneficiaries, but I'm sure if Lucarionite goes will get him some extra usage, however small, and he doesn't need very much to get into OU.

I think it'll be very rare that Mega Blastoise replaces Mega Lucario on a specific team, but people make new teams all the time, and if there's one less Mega Pokemon to use, all the remaining ones will surely benefit to some extent.

I wouldn't be saying this is Blastoise was far away from the cut-off, but he's quite close, so a fairly small change could put him over the cut-off.

Eh i still think hes one of the better offensive around as a mega, but he takes up a mega slot. You could use tentacruel who spins and absorbs t spjkes.

He will get more usage, but i think youll find more offensive megas finding usage like mega cham (shares similar role in priority as lucario), sheer power (mawile, pinsir and scizor), etc..

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Eh i still think hes one of the better offensive around as a mega, but he takes up a mega slot. You could use tentacruel who spins and absorbs t spjkes.

He will get more usage, but i think youll find more offensive megas finding usage like mega cham (shares similar role in priority as lucario), sheer power (mawile, pinsir and scizor), etc..
i agree with you but i would just like to point out that blastoise has the added benefit of being able to smash spinblockers with dark pulse which has an effective 120 power

Mega Blastoise is easily the best spinner in the game, no doubt; its only drawback is that it takes up the mega slot. It wouldn't be the first pick of a Lucario user, but based on Shuckle Man's reasoning I think it's actually pretty likely to go to OU.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, considering Mega Blastoise is so close to OU usage, even the smallest change that helps it could be enough for it to get enough usage to be OU. On the subject of a possible Lucarionite ban in OU, I'd like to bring up something. Now, this likely wouldn't be for a couple of months, but does anyone feel that a Lucarionite ban would be enough for Lucario do drop from OU? And if so, how big of a threat could it be in UU?

Non-mega Lucario is still viable in OU imo. It's not exactly the slowest of things, and his STABs still pack quite the punch.

Dropping it into UU... now that'd be big. A fighting type, with a convenient Steel STAB to get rid of Gardevoir and Florges. It'll be one of the top additions.

Lucario doesn't have a physical Steel STAB, though. +2 LO 252 Spa Flash Cannon OHKOs 252/252+ Florges after Rocks, but now you've got to contend with Keldeo and Latias. Let's not forget Thundurus-I if HE also drops.

I don't really think that Thundurus would stay around long in UU though TBH.

Edit: I really hope that something like Forre drops or Salamence as they would be cool meta game shakeup's.

Last edited:
Lucario doesn't have a physical Steel STAB, though. +2 LO 252 Spa Flash Cannon OHKOs 252/252+ Florges after Rocks, but now you've got to contend with Keldeo and Latias. Let's not forget Thundurus-I if HE also drops.
Bullet Punch, Crunch, T-Punch, and Ice Punch exist. Agility Lucario will be pretty good.

Formula's for teambuilding, are starting to become standard.

Mega on nearly every team
Offensive Core
Deffensive Core
1 Pivot/Insurance

The Pivot/Insurance are interesting pokemon. They are what you're team cant handle. Diggersby is one of the best insurances, against stall.

A lost strategy is Baton Passing. Seriously who's running phazers this Gen. Yet to find any lol

EDIT: Lucario will not drop any time soon! And with or without Mega Stone, it'll still be OU!!

Offensive Core
Deffensive Core
1 Pivot/Insurance

The Pivot/Insurance are interesting pokemon. They are what you're team cant handle. Diggersby is one of the best insurances, against stall.

A lost strategy is Baton Passing. Seriously who's running phazers this Gen. Yet to find any lol

EDIT: Lucario will not drop any time soon! And with or without Mega Stone, it'll still be OU!!
I tried BP and it was pretty decent in my opinion. It has good users like Venomoth, Vaporeon, Celebi, Absol, the list goes on. Scolipede fetching the Ban is a big drawback as that was my team's premier speed/attack/sub passing mon. On the other side, absol is a pretty big boon to BP, having Magic Bounce as an ability is just great, and it's better than Xatu tbh.

Personally I'd still think Thundurus is worth a try. It functions completely differently from his Therian forme, and besides OU (where Thundurus-I is rated higher on the viability list) is not the same metagame as UU, so Thundurus might function differently. Then again, IDK how much different would it be. If it's going to get banned, it'll probably be for different reasons, and not strictly "beats out Thundurus-T". Landorus already did that by basically being a stronger and bulkier version of Thundurus-T with a worse off defensive typing, but it's not like you could really exploit it lol

ehhhhh, Thundy-I is much better as a setup sweeper then Thundy-T due to much higher base speed, so he's much harder to revenge after 1 Nasty Plot. Pretty much the only thing Thundy-T has over Thundy-I is that he's a better scarfed offensive pivot with elec immunity and higher special attack.

Unless it was the scarf set that got Thundy-T banned and not it's nasty plot set, I simply cannot see Thundy-I anywhere but BL or OU (it actually does get decent usage in ou btw).

Well it has Bullet Punch and Iron Tail...not like Iron Tail is reliable or anything but it is an option.

Also a Gen IV TM. Not sure if the accuracy makes it completely unviable but hey, it's more accurate than Focus Blast or Thunder at least.

He is one of the best offensive Mega? The 135 base isn't that impressive compared to other Megas. Sure, it's hands down the best spinner allowed in UU but:
1. That doesn't say much.
2. It TAKES up the Mega Slot. This may sound like an RBY in-game discussion, but Venusaur and Charizard both are a lot better as a defensive and offensive Mega respectively. Also, it just occurred to me we should probably not discuss potential drops/rises.

He only has base 135 Special Attack (which is pretty fucking good, if not exactly for a Mega Evolution), but he also has Mega Launcher which boosts his coverage moves very appreciably.

Offensive Core
Deffensive Core
1 Pivot/Insurance

If Terrakion manages to drop then I have no doubts Lucario will eventually, non mega lucario has to fight many pokemon for a slot on the team

No, definitely not. Lucario will get banned to Ubers before it ever goes to UU. And if it ever does, then it will probably be banned faster than Landorus. With a Swords dance set, it will have priority Bullet Punch, and with a Nasty Plot set, it will swipe through teams with Vacum Punch. Not to mention its many options once it's main threats are gone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)