Suggested New Game Rule for Xenforo

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The Conversation feature of Xenforo is great, but it can be extremely difficult to fake such a conversation. This is because it's more than just text - it's timestamped automatically by the forums as well. As such, in village vs mafia games where the formation of trust is the point of the game, certain rules must be established to stop villagers from being able to clean each other instantly by simply inviting each other to conversations.

One of the rules that vonFiedler added off-hand in his latest game was "You may not invite another user to the conversation containing your role PM". I think even this is not strict enough. Since conversations are so difficult to fake, I would suggest the following rule for any game where secrecy is a concern:

You may NOT invite any users to a conversation who were not a part of the conversation when it was formed. This obviously includes the conversation containing your role PM and any other conversations with the host.

(You may want to add some exception for mafia and known teammates, but that shouldn't be necessary.)

Seeing as we have additional features as of Xenforo, it's a good practice to try and make use of them to make games better, not ban them altogether, but this is a good temporary solution, yeah.

Agreeing with the general idea, but one quick thing: convos with the host don't need that rule on them, since you can just not check the box that lets people invite others.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Agreeing with the general idea, but one quick thing: convos with the host don't need that rule on them, since you can just not check the box that lets people invite others.
The checkbox is currently borked right now. Hence every convo always has invite on and there's no way atm to turn it off. If not there wouldn't be a need for this :000 I already notified Joim of the invite thingy but don't think it's been worked on yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)