Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, what do you think of this core I've recently made? The goal of this core is to give my double birds (talonflame and staraptor) free switch ins, and allow them to do their birdly things. However, I think it could be used to help any sweeper or choice user have free switches to go and hurt things.

upload_2014-2-15_17-12-37.png

Tangrowth@Assault Vest
252 HP/ 252 SD/ 4D
Relaxed
Regenerator
-Giga Drain
-HP Ice
-Knock Off
-Earthquake

This is just your standard AV Tangrowth, the general Idea here is to tank hits from targets you sweepers can't KO, force something out, and try and get you sweeper in on a double switch. It's not the most reliable, However, the team this duo is on sports a a couple of birds, so I wanted something that could switch in on T-tar and Rotom-W (and to a lesser extent mega ampharos). Honestly, I think knock off is the most important move here, because you really just want to be annoying with this set, however the other moves are there so you can help force switches and actually beat be threatening enough to warrant switching on.

upload_2014-2-15_17-19-2.png

Ampharos@Amp-ite
252 HP/ 44 SPA/ 192 SPD/ 20 SPE
Modest
Static --> Mold Breaker
-Volt Switch
-Dragon Pulse
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

I pulled the Rest Talk set off the current analysis, and so far it runs well. The main idea with this set is to just switch in, the use the slow volt switch to bring in something that really likes a free switch, witch again, is the whole point of this duo. It has a great set of resists, allowing it to switch in easily, just so long as you're weary of powerful ground or fairy attacks. The only real down side to this set is the opportunity cost of your mega slot. However, I feel Ampy justifies itself by allowing more frail Pokemon have easy chances to come in and fire off their attacks.

So far, they've been effective for me at creating opportunities for a pokemon like CB Staraptor to enter and fire off hard hitting moves. However, I do see the blatant weakness to Mamo and, to a lesser extent, Cloyster. However, you still have 4 team spots left to attempt to rectify that error.

I just don't see the appeal of M-Amph, it's way too slow to really do anything and it seems to me that M-Venu + Rotom-W would be a better core, especially if you're looking for a slow volt switch.
I can second that, as one who uses Mega Venusar and Rotom-W myself. They have good type synergy together, Venusaur resisting Rotom's Grass weakness, while Rotom resists Venusaur's weakness to Flying.

Been thinking of building a team around Zard X, as part of a FWG core.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Roost / Earthquake

Standard Zard X set. Still undecided on whether I should go for Roost over EQ. I do run Earth Power on my Celebi, but I still don't have a reliable answer for Aegislash.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 SDef / 248 HP / 28 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Nothing to see here. Just the most common version of Rotom-W.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 60 HP / 196 Spd
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Recover

Initially, I was planning on using Ferrothorn, but the Celebi I got from Pokebank is Modest with 31 IVs in Def/SAtk/SDef/Speed (not getting HP hurts, but overall I'm happy), so I'm looking to trying him out for this team. Decent Volt-turn combo with Rotom-W too. I just took the EV Spread from Smogon for now, but is this spread even good this gen? Any ideas def. needed!

Also, I need another opinion on something: I'm gonna be using Forretress (as my SR setter and Rapid Spin user) on the team since I opted for Celebi instead of Ferrothorn. Now I'm also considering adding Azumarill on the team, so those two can also form a good Dragon/Fairy/Steel core along with Zard X too. Any tips?

Been thinking of building a team around Zard X, as part of a FWG core.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Roost / Earthquake

Standard Zard X set. Still undecided on whether I should go for Roost over EQ. I do run Earth Power on my Celebi, but I still don't have a reliable answer for Aegislash.

EVs: 232 SDef / 248 HP / 28 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Nothing to see here. Just the most common version of Rotom-W.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 60 HP / 196 Spd
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Recover

Initially, I was planning on using Ferrothorn, but the Celebi I got from Pokebank is Modest with 31 IVs in Def/SAtk/SDef/Speed (not getting HP hurts, but overall I'm happy), so I'm looking to trying him out for this team. Decent Volt-turn combo with Rotom-W too. I just took the EV Spread from Smogon for now, but is this spread even good this gen? Any ideas def. needed!

Also, I need another opinion on something: I'm gonna be using Forretress (as my SR setter and Rapid Spin user) on the team since I opted for Celebi instead of Ferrothorn. Now I'm also considering adding Azumarill on the team, so those two can also form a good Dragon/Fairy/Steel core along with Zard X too. Any tips?
Hmm... It's odd to run an Adamant Charizard, considering that with only Base 100 Speed, there are certain threats that it can't outspeed or at least tie with, so I'd go with a Jolly Nature instead. With Bank being out, I see no point in running Chesto Rest Rotom-W, as it can really screw over its opponents with Pain Split instead. As for Celebi, Earth Power isn't a Level-up move, so you really can't go with the Bank Celebi you got. If you're gonna use an offensive Celebi though, the best set (In my opinion) would be Nasty Plot, (Event Move) Giga Drain, Earth Power, and either Psychic or Hidden Power Fire.

This is a core I'm really liking a lot right now:

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 116 SDef / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Seed Bomb
- Zen Headbutt

AV Conk is just great in the current metagame because of great coverage, power and bulk, as well as as a form of recovery, priority and a way to remove items. And it absorbs status like a champ. EV's are a bit dodgy perhaps, but it's just maximized Atk with a speed creep on other Conkeldurrs, and an attempt at maximizing special bulk.

Next up we have Celebi, but not just regular Celebi. I'm using SD + Baton Pass Celebi because it's not only unexpected, but mainly because of how well it works with Conkeldurr. AV Conk at +2 Atk is scary. Celebi can also take out some popular switchins with this set:

+2 252 Atk Celebi Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 402-474 (99.5 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Celebi Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 288-340 (40.9 - 48.2%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Conk also deals with Dark and Bug moves which allows it to receive a Baton Pass easier. Obviously this core is weak to Talonflame, but then again every team's forced to run a Talonflame counter.

I can second that, as one who uses Mega Venusar and Rotom-W myself. They have good type synergy together, Venusaur resisting Rotom's Grass weakness, while Rotom resists Venusaur's weakness to Flying.
I think you're missing the point of MAmpharos. He has the slowest, strongest Volt Switch in all of OU. He hits like a tank thanks to his base 165 SAtk and has incredible natural bulk on both sides that he can take advantage of thanks to his unique typing (lol Zekrom). You're not going to get the same raw power from Rotom-W as you would from MAmphy, and there's so much he can do to support a team that Rotom can't touch. MAmphy and Rotom-W are both great counters to Talonflame, but they are not comparable in terms of the way they're used. In fact, here's a core I've used that's worked incredibly well for me:

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rest

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Heal Bell

I borrowed the Double Electric tactic from Gen V UU (Raikou + Zapdos) in that I can take advantage of their relative lack of weaknesses. Rotom-W only fears Grass type moves, really. And MAmphy can cover them very well with its outstanding bulk. MAmphy doesn't like Ground or Ice moves, and that's where Rotom comes in. They're a great Volt Switch core because they have the capacity to scare out and heavily dent Ground type immunities, respectively.

This core excels with any sweeper that fears Talonflame: Shift Gear Genesect, Hawlucha, Volcarona, Infernape, etc.

Hmm... It's odd to run an Adamant Charizard, considering that with only Base 100 Speed, there are certain threats that it can't outspeed or at least tie with, so I'd go with a Jolly Nature instead. With Bank being out, I see no point in running Chesto Rest Rotom-W, as it can really screw over its opponents with Pain Split instead. As for Celebi, Earth Power isn't a Level-up move, so you really can't go with the Bank Celebi you got. If you're gonna use an offensive Celebi though, the best set (In my opinion) would be Nasty Plot, (Event Move) Giga Drain, Earth Power, and either Psychic or Hidden Power Fire.

There's been some compelling arguments for Adamant Zard X being viable in the Charizard thread. I'm not completely sold on it yet myself, so I'll be testing it out. I'll keep pain split in mind too thanks! In Bank Celebi's case, it doesnt have NP, and Giga Drain's a no-go too. On WIFI I'm probably just gonna run Psychic or maybe Dazzling Gleam, but on Showdown I'll be sticking with Earth Power.

I give unto you, the death of stall.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Now Go foth, and cleanse the filth from the ladder.

I'm going to showcase a core that is almost impossible to beat.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald

Gastrodon and Magnezone trap Mega-Pinsir's two biggest stops, Skarmory and Rotom-W. You could also add a Tyranitar w/ pursuit for Talonflame, but I don't want to make a whole team for you :P

We all know about the popular defensive cores namely, VenuTran, SkarmBliss/Chans, ChansBro, but what offensive combo's can help take down these pesky, hard to beat cores? Well that is what I want to know. I will put a few duo's that are popular this gen, or take down huge defensive threats. Also, share your favorite duo's below. Keep in mind that we are talking MOSTLY duo's. Feel free to share, and here are some of my favorite duo's in the Gen 6 meta.

CubeZard (Or Duo-Drag)
Kyurem-Black and Mega Charizard X

These two together destroy a lot of threats. I only use LO mixed Cube, but scarf works as well. As long as we are talking about Cube, lets talk about what things that it 1-2HKO's. Heatran, Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, Mandibuzz, the list goes on. A lot of people last gen said that Cube's movepool limited him last, but mixed it very vital this gen. Cube's ability, however, is the reason it is so good this gen. Teravolt is basically Mold Breaker, just with a more badass name. It allows Cube to 2HKO Rotom-Wash with LO powered Earth Power. It also ignores the Thick Fat on Mega Venusaur and allows for LO and STAB powered Ice Beam to 2HKO. This thing alone destroys VenuTran. Unless it is ScarfTran. (I'm looking at you Wiz >.>)
Enough of Cube. Lets get to the Beast known as Zard X. This thing with two Dragon Dance's up is incredibly dangerous. It 2HKO's Specially Defensive with... wait for it... Fire Punch. Good luck trying to switch in on this thing with anything that isn't Azumarill or something Scarfed and with Earthquake. Its great typing and bulk also allows it to get up at least one Dragon Dance. (BTW, +1 EQ 2HKO's Azumarill sooo there's that)

Duo-Birds
Talonflame and Staraptor

This is what I like to call the "Floppy Birds" duo. Besides being a really bad pun, it really describes them both pretty well. They are both Very frail, but when they are in, they can really put down a lot of Poke's. However, unlike Zard X and Cube, these guys need a TON of support. They need a Defogger/Spinner to clear rocks for both, but mostly Tflame. Then you need a Cleric to clear burns from Raptor just in case, a Wish passer that can remedy Tflame's as well as Raptor's rocks damage, and then two other Poke's that are Sponges. Otherwise, Tflame has STAB Priority Brave Bird that can really put a dent in a lot of things. However, Tflame's x4 weakness to Stealth Rocks and his main STAB moves having to be Flare Blitz and Brave Bird, it is going to mow through HP quickly. Tflame is also walled by pretty much every Rock type. However, Close Combat from Staraptor can really take out those threats easily. Staraptor also mows through HP. It usually uses Reckless with Brave Bird and Double Edge for STAB, Close Combat for coverage, and Roost to heal on switches. So this combo can be effective, but it can't be run fully effectively unless you have support behind it.

That is pretty much it from me. But I want to here from you guys. What are your thoughts on these two duo's? What are the offensive duo's you are waiting to share with everyone? Leave it below.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 250 HP / 250 Def / 4 SpAtk / 4 Sp.Def
Bold Nature
~Giga Drain
~Sludge Wave
~Leech Seed
~Sleep Powder

My Mega, made to take care of Bulky waters and Thick Fat helps live some of the SE hits, added extra Sp.Def then standard just to also have a bit bulk on both sides

Heatran @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 152 SpAtk / 4 Sp.Def
Calm Nature
~Dark Pulse
~Fire Blast
~Flash Cannon
~Earth Power
Heatran is made for Special defense,while still being a able to take some hits on the physical side, Fire Blast hurts a lot of things any ways, everything else is just for filler/coverage

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp.Def
Adamant Nature
~EarthQuake
~Stone Edge
~Waterfall
~Dragon Tail
with the good old QuakeEdge combo,waterfall for stab and DT for force switching, once it's threats are out it can take some bulk and kill kill kill, I am unsure whether or not sped ev's are necessary, say to out speed electrics, but I usually try to take them out before Gyra gets switched in

I'm going to showcase a core that is almost impossible to beat.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald

Gastrodon and Magnezone trap Mega-Pinsir's two biggest stops, Skarmory and Rotom-W. You could also add a Tyranitar w/ pursuit for Talonflame, but I don't want to make a whole team for you :P
Not to be a dick but doesn't a simple Expert Belt Mamoswine kinda manhandle that entire core single handedly? Freeze Dry wipes out Gastrodon with a tiny bit of S.Atk investment, it wipes out Magnezone without Sturdy and Mega Pinsir comes short of a kill with Return whilst comfortably getting 1 hit by Icicle Crash and even if it chooses not to Mega-Evolve to take the Icicle Crash it'll just get revenged by a Ice Shard on the next turn.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 250 HP / 250 Def / 4 SpAtk / 4 Sp.Def
Bold Nature
~Giga Drain
~Sludge Wave
~Leech Seed
~Sleep Powder

My Mega, made to take care of Bulky waters and Thick Fat helps live some of the SE hits, added extra Sp.Def then standard just to also have a bit bulk on both sides
EVs should be 248 on HP and Defense as the 2 extra points don't raise its stats any; both would be the same with 248 (363 HP, 290 DEF) You could raise SDEF to 8 EVs by doing this.

Not to be a dick but doesn't a simple Expert Belt Mamoswine kinda manhandle that entire core single handedly? Freeze Dry wipes out Gastrodon with a tiny bit of S.Atk investment, it wipes out Magnezone without Sturdy and Mega Pinsir comes short of a kill with Return whilst comfortably getting 1 hit by Icicle Crash and even if it chooses not to Mega-Evolve to take the Icicle Crash it'll just get revenged by a Ice Shard on the next turn.
Pinsir can Swords Dance for one turn without Mega evolving, surviving an Icicle Crash from Mamoswine with 40-50% HP left, and then Mega evolve next turn and OHKO with a Return. Pinsir can even stay Pinsir for two turns, Swords Dance and then Return, outpredicting Mamoswine's Ice Shard, leaving it with 20-30% and then Mega evolving on the third turn and using Quick Attack to kill Mamoswine.

And anyway, other team members can cover the weakness to Mamoswine.

Im surprised there havent been many/if any regenerator cores...slowbro and amoongus work well together, and to round out thr fwg is heatran. This is a pretty solid core and should be talked about more and expanded on.

Maybe just incorporate some other interesting regenerator pokes like tornadus or mienshao idk Im just throwin stuff out there

I give unto you, the death of stall.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Now Go foth, and cleanse the filth from the ladder.
Lolwut? Never see people use Frustration on Pinsir, seeing as its a major bitch to reduce his Happiness so low.

Onto more relevant topics, I'm looking to bring about a core using Mega Houndoom again, but this time, for UU. How do teammates of Slowbro and Roserade sound?

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire => Solar Power
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power Fighting

Slowbro (MOVESET CURRENTLY UNDECIDED)

Roserade @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure / Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Dazzling Gleam

The two form a pretty sturdy offensive Fire/Water/Grass core, and Slowbro has Regenerator. Any suggestions on what Slowbro's set should be. seeing as it would work as a nice offensive tank for two sweepers. Onto Roserade, who I'm considering running Technician on for that nice Base 90 Power Hidden Power Fire. I don't know, what do you guys think?

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
if someone else has talked about this core i apologise, but i've had a lot of success with this core and i think it is very good in the current meta.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

These two form a devastating Volturn core, and cover each others weaknesses well. They both are able to beat most of the others' counters, and they have decent type synergy. But the thing that pushes this over the top is the fact that both have intimidate. This makes it really easy to beat most physical attackers, and wear them down with Volturn. This core is excellent for Volturn teams.

Pinsir can Swords Dance for one turn without Mega evolving, surviving an Icicle Crash from Mamoswine with 40-50% HP left, and then Mega evolve next turn and OHKO with a Return. Pinsir can even stay Pinsir for two turns, Swords Dance and then Return, outpredicting Mamoswine's Ice Shard, leaving it with 20-30% and then Mega evolving on the third turn and using Quick Attack to kill Mamoswine.

And anyway, other team members can cover the weakness to Mamoswine.
But the problem with outprediction as an argument is you're stuck in a 50/50 guessing game against Mamoswine so outprediction works both ways, alternatively if they guess you're gonna aim for 2 turn they could as easily Icicle Crash twice in a row as easily as they could Ice Shard the second turn if you MEvolve so in the end you've still managed to check half a team with just one solution.

All you've done is illustrate there is a perfectly viable scenario where Mamoswine does check it since it forces the Pinsir user to do something unusual, all I'm saying is that it's not a 'invincible core'.

Last edited:
But the problem with outprediction as an argument is you're stuck in a 50/50 guessing game against Mamoswine so outprediction works both ways, alternatively if they guess you're gonna aim for 2 turn they could as easily Icicle Crash twice in a row as easily as they could Ice Shard the second turn if you MEvolve so in the end you've still managed to check half a team with just one solution.

All you've done is illustrate there is a perfectly viable scenario where Mamoswine does check it since it forces the Pinsir user to do something unusual, all I'm saying is that it's not a 'invincible core'.
Okay, that's fair.

This is an offensive core that has worked wonders for me in UU, and functions decently in OU aswell.
Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Knock off
-Crabhammer
-Superpower
-Aqua jet

Sharpedo @ Life orb
Ability: Speed boost
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
-Adamant/Naughty Nature
-Protect
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Earthquake/Ice beam
Basically, both Crawdaunt and Sharpedo share similar checks/counters, so the premise of this core is to bring in Crawdaunt, and fire off very powerful attacks, and wear down said shared checks. Once all those checks have been weakened/ko'd, Sharpedo comes in and cleans up. This core does share weaknesses, and both of them, especially Sharpedo, are pretty frail, but pair them with a nice defensive backbone to cover their weaknesses and give them free switches and it does work.

Lolwut? Never see people use Frustration on Pinsir, seeing as its a major bitch to reduce his Happiness so low.
I think its more for showdown. Having 0 happiness and frustration means its a useless move for ditto to use because most peple run return. Most people aren't going to think of having ditto at minimum happiness. I could be wrong though, don't take my word for it.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think its more for showdown. Having 0 happiness and frustration means its a useless move for ditto to use because most peple run return. Most people aren't going to think of having ditto at minimum happiness. I could be wrong though, don't take my word for it.
You're right. On showdown, Frustration is much better because of Ditto. If Ditto comes in on a +2 pinsir, it will end up with a 1 BP STAB move to use.

Here's a hilarious core that I used for some time:

image.jpg

Sableye @ Iron Ball / Leftovers
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD -OR- 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SAtk) -OR- Careful (+SpD, -SAtk)
-Trick / Gravity (derp, Sableye gets Gravity)
-Will-O-Wisp / Filler
-Recover
-Taunt

AND:

image.jpg

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Swords Dance
-Return
-Quick Attack
-Earthquake

What does this core do? It wins you the game. Sableye tricks an Iron ball onto, say, Rotom-W, Zapdos, or Skarmory, halving their speed and making them Ground-weak. M-Pinsir's check/counter is dead, basically.

Don't believe me?

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 340-402 (111.8 - 132.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 286-338 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 396-468 (103.1 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Badabing, Badaboom.

:]

Edit: finncent1 suggested Gravity so Sableye's moveset has been updated. Thnx finncent1 :]

The only thing is, the opponent can easily play around Gravity, whereas with Iron Ball, the M-Pinsir counter is done for. Gravity may be the better option, although, one has to get pinsir in, set up to +2, then EQ the counter to kill, all without taking a hit. Without a +2, no kill is made and gravity has a 4 turn limit. But maybe with some serious hazard stacking, EQ can K.O without the boost. Gravity will need testing, but it's a great suggestion and option, IMO.

Edit 2: Iron Ball can be used to cripple other things such as the Latis, Lando I, Thundurus, Rotom-H, Talonflame, and any Pokemon not minding a Will-O-Wisp (they'll be expecting it from Sableye), including Air Balloon Heatran, as Iron Ball halves its holder's speed. Shoutout to TheEpicBro for initiating extra Iron Ball options.

Last edited:

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here's a hilarious core that I used for some time:

View attachment 9360
Sableye @ Iron Ball
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD -OR- 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SAtk) -OR- Careful (+SpD, -SAtk)
-Trick
-Will-O-Wisp / Filler
-Recover
-Taunt

AND:

View attachment 9361

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Swords Dance
-Return
-Quick Attack
-Earthquake

What does this core do? This core wins you the game. Sableye tricks an Iron ball onto, say, Rotom-W, Zapdos, or Skarmory, halving their speed and make them Ground-weak. M-Pinsir's check/counter is dead, basically.

Don't believe me?

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 340-402 (111.8 - 132.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 286-338 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 396-468 (103.1 - 121.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Badabing, Badaboom.

:]
Why not just use gravity on Sableye? It's more reliable (as if Rotom/Zapdos doesn't switch in, you don't waste your item and can still slaughter them) and it allows for leftovers from the get-go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)