Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

since no one has any animated sprite, I decided to start the fenekin's back sprite. This sprite is very easy to animate. I'm using an existing fenekin on internet as reference (IT DOSN'T DO BY ME). Maybe tomorrow or monday it will be finnished. Here my progres, but i need to fix the speed and do all other frames.

Last edited:
since no one has any animated sprite, I decided to start the fenekin's back sprite. This sprite is very easy to animate. I'm using an existing fenekin on internet as reference (IT DOSN'T DO BY ME). Maybe tomorrow or monday it will be finnished. Here my progres, but i need to fix the speed and do all other frames.
Just wondering where that front sprite has come from? From what I can see it isn't the one listed on the spreadsheet, so I'm just curious. I mean, I quite like it to be honest (...though looking at it height may be an issue).

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In other news I did some experiments with making shinies from the PKparaiso sprites, and I am no longer seeking that option. To be fair I did a good amount of work on them, but it's not something I could ever be happy doing a larger project on.

To elaborate on what I did, Pkaparaiso did not have a single shiny from here, and so far they have no shiny backs. These are the four Pokemon in the game currently that must have shiny forms due to event moves. I used photoshop to reduce the colours to 16 across all frames (unlike a certain other place that reduces them to 16 colours but each frame has different colours) so that shinies would be feasible. Feasible is a choice word because it was hard as hell. Photoshop allows you to choose certain colours to keep when reducing from 255 to 16 so that was also necessary, otherwise if you allow the dumb computer to do this Entei becomes all brown everywhere with about 8 different greys. Even now some of the colors aren't all right, shiny Raikou has brown more than grey because of how the purple and grey mixed together on the regular form. Suicune's back has random static everywhere which is impossible to fix. Those Genesect eyes look really clean right? That's because I cleaned each frame and if I showed you the original version with random popping red colours it would not be pretty. Total time it took me over the course of this week is probably over ten hours. Expand that to all 700+ Pokemon, and even though pkparaiso has some shinies already they don't seem to show any signs of doing shiny backs, which would be the sorts of things a simulator wants.

I started doing a few more from the top of OU usage and I gave up around here:

Rotom-W is supposed to have blue eyes and tan outline for its shiny, but no amount of messing with colour reduction would cause that to happen. It's impossible.

Even if we only kept the shinies we need, people would want their favourite shiny. Just doing colour reduction on the standard forms would still take hundreds of hours. 3DS capture cards are not colour accurate, and they take too much time to rip everything. At this point I don't particularly care about models, even less than ever. They are not my competition and unless we get the models and textures ripped straight from the games I can't see any way they will look good.

Since I think it is easier and more fun to make the 100 XY Pokemon into sprites rather than dealing with messy models of 700+ Pokemon and their alternate forms I'm not going to seek this out as an option. Anyone else sadistic enough to do so can feel free.

I used the official artwork for a reference for the front. The wings there looked a bit rounder than the in-game model. Also, the in game model's wings looks yellow sometimes as well. Must be the backgrounds mixing with the transparent wings on wi-fi battles that makes it look greeinsh blue.
[URL=http://s959.photobucket.com/user/icebem/media/PinsirF-3.png.html]
[/URL]
Edit:
His right arm outline got messed up somehow. Quick fix

Last edited:
Fennekin's back sprite is finnished. If you find some bug, tell me and i will try to correct it.

PD: In my image editor, the frame rate is syncronous, but when i post the sprite here, i see the movement of back sprite asynchronize with the front sprite. Do you see fine?

Last edited:
Fennekin's back sprite is finnished. If you find some bug, tell me and i will try to correct it.

PD: In my image editor, the frame rate is syncronous, but when i post the sprite here, i see the movement of back sprite asynchronize with the front sprite. Do you see fine?
Barnacle Boy isn't ready yet. It's animation needs to be fixed. Also I think Fennekin's Back sprite needs to be a bit changed. 1. The head looks weird on the back. 2. The backsprite's animation moves in BW style (rugged parts) while the front has smooth (parts are edited to make it look smoother)

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I did some fixes with Xerneas. It didn't nearly as many changes as I originally thought, just changing the head size shifted the dynamic of the sprite in more favourable ways.

- Top of horns no longer make a horizontal line
- Head is smaller
- Body is lifted higher up
- "Shoulder" pads are better shaped
- A few other subtle things

Okay, this is asking a lot, but I would REALLY appreciate if someone could transfer these changes to the backsprite for me. I've still got a lot on my plate to work on, including Mega Scizor, Zygarde (yep I haven't forgotten), and Diancie. If anyone looking for something to do would be willing to take this extra burden off of me, I would REALLY appreciate it (2x same phrase combo!).

Speaking of Diancie, an update.

I think I'm ready to start the backsprite on this one, since I worked out all of the major things that were bugging me.

In other news, I finished Mega Scizor's front animation. Now I just need to get the back done.

Last edited:
I might be fine with the Xerneas changes, except that the new head is definitely too small. It's dwarfed by the antlers and makes the neck look too long.

To all hopeful animators, please check the chart in the OP to see what's ready for animation (as in approved with "yes" under both "L ready" and "P ready"). Fennekin isn't approved; I'm looking for extensive QC or new sprites with better proportions and a more accurate face. Frankly, I've been meaning to do this myself but keep finding other things to work on. Also, seleccion would you mind animating N-Kin's Pancham back sprite to match the front, same thing you did with Froakie? It would be a great help to us.

More Mega Pinsir changes. Just to the front:

Fixed the legs a bit. Thoughts?
The pincers look a slight bit small to me. I dunno, I think it'd be good to make them somewhat larger, as they're about the same height as Mega Pinsir's body. I don't know if the points can be made to look longer, but if so, I think that'd look even better.

So yeah. IMO, only the pincers need fixing, everything else is fine. Great work so far!

So, is this thread over? Now that Showdown has animated models, will all this hard work go to waste?
Not on your life. As S0L1D said above, there's going to be an option to use sprites or models. Plus, Showdown isn't the only destination for all this spritework - just take a look at the first post and see all the different sites using them :)

First off sorry I've been gone for so long I've just been busy, but lately I've had some time to work on sprite.
The first edit i did was on hawlucha.
h.png

I did a few edits on the front sprite like on the eye and head.
Then i made a new sprite for the back.

The next edit i did was on noibat.
noibat.png

I just did a few touch ups on noibat like it's eyes and wing, and i changed the way it's feet were pointing.
It's old feet just made it look goofy to me.

i hope you like, and i should be able to work on the project more often.
I plan on going back and editing mega harecross and tyranitar's back.

First off sorry I've been gone for so long I've just been busy, but lately I've had some time to work on sprite.
The first edit i did was on hawlucha.
View attachment 9314

I did a few edits on the front sprite like on the eye and head.
Then i made a new sprite for the back.

The next edit i did was on noibat.
View attachment 9316

I just did a few touch ups on noibat like it's eyes and wing, and i changed the way it's feet were pointing.
It's old feet just made it look goofy to me.

i hope you like, and i should be able to work on the project more often.
I plan on going back and editing mega harecross and tyranitar's back.
I love the new Noibat edits! The feet going out on the other was just... ehh

Okay, yet another Mega Pinsir update:

Does the back sprite need pincer work as well? The size looks OK to me.
Yes, it looks much better now; in fact, I think it's close to being finished, personally. Great work, man!
EDIT: It may be better to edit the backsprite's pincers slightly as well to make it look more fitting with the front. Choice is up to you, though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)