Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
see any immediate flaws with this team? I've been running it for a couple days and it seems to wreck most passerby people. the gengar does seem a bit random its just a pivot for fighting or ground

forretress defensive rocky helmet sturdy
ferrothorn sp. defensive leftovers anticipation
hippowdon defensive smooth rock sand stream
tyranitar sp. defensive assult vest sand stream
garchomp physically offensive choice band sand veil
gengar specially offensive gengarite (or specs) levetate
I knew I couldn't be the only one running Anticipation Ferrothorn.

Clefable is just unfair, if its at full hp when sent out, theres nothing you can do to stop it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-89315092
Honestly you lost because you misplayed very badly. Here are some key problems:

- why did you sack quagsire, which is one of your better stops to clefable, to Azumarill when you had a perfectly good counter to Azumarill with mega Venasaur
-why did you leech seed on clefable when you had nothing to lose going for sludge bomb. You still would've 2hko'ed and you walled the other two pokes so there was no need to "predict" with leech seed
- why did you sack ditto to Aegislash, when it could have copied clefable's boosts and chanced on a crit

There is so other stuff too that makes this a bad battle / example:

- you tried to trap Aegislash with Dugtrio, forgetting that ghost-types are immune to trapping
- your opponent is using a Donphan

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Clefable is just unfair, if its at full hp when sent out, theres nothing you can do to stop it.

Where's the 'simple question' exactly?

Clefable is set-up fodder, taunt bait, and overall always begs for crits to happen. If it's Unaware, then Toxic/Taunt it. If it's Magic Guard, set-up or also taunt it. It's special attack isn't anything to write home about, either. It's extremely pHaze-able, too. Aegislash and Excadrill are both very solid checks and usually stop Clefable in its tracks.

And not to be a jerk or anything but you made lots, lots of misplays in that game lol

also:

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

next turn, if clef decides to use Cosmic Power again:

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- 13% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

and the 3rd turn:

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 104-126 (26.3 - 31.9%) -- 30.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

There's a 30% chance of flinching in all those 3 scenarios.

Aegislash:

4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 218-258 (55.3 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 146-174 (37 - 44.1%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Bisharp:

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 320-377 (81.2 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 213-252 (54 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's on 252/252+ Clef, too. Idk what spread they usually use, but that's the worst case scenario.

Where's the 'simple question' exactly?

Clefable is set-up fodder, taunt bait, and overall always begs for crits to happen. If it's Unaware, then Toxic/Taunt it. If it's Magic Guard, set-up or also taunt it. It's special attack isn't anything to write home about, either. It's extremely pHaze-able, too. Aegislash and Excadrill are both very solid checks and usually stop Clefable in its tracks.

And not to be a jerk or anything but you made lots, lots of misplays in that game lol

also:

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 174-206 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

next turn, if clef decides to use Cosmic Power again:

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- 13% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

and the 3rd turn:

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 104-126 (26.3 - 31.9%) -- 30.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

There's a 30% chance of flinching in all those 3 scenarios.

Aegislash:

4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 218-258 (55.3 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 146-174 (37 - 44.1%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Bisharp:

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 320-377 (81.2 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 213-252 (54 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's on 252/252+ Clef, too. Idk what spread they usually use, but that's the worst case scenario.
I usually run 252/252+ like Blissey, but according to usage stats it's 252/0.

List of pokemon that can (usually) counter Clefable--that is, switch in on Clefable at full HP and threaten it out or kill it--assuming you don't just let it set up:
Swords Dance Aegislash
Mega Venusaur (sleep powder is a plus)
Bisharp with at least 104 HP Evs
Heatran (can tank all day thanks to quad-resisting moonblast, being immune to flamethrower, and resisting stored power, and can roar it out to give a different pokemon a better chance to kill it or spam flash cannon until it crits)
Swords Dance Talonflame
Excadrill (even Jolly) - (resists moonblast and stored power and can flinch with iron head - AV helps with flamethrower)
Mega Mawile
Landorus-I with sludge wave

Other options:Taunt it
Trick it a choice item (esp. if it's the last thing left on your opponents team so you can roar it out)
Put it to sleep and kill it before it wakes up (Mega Venusaur is best for this)
pHaze it out and try again later

When a pokemon is put into borderline, can it return to the tier below (UU) and can it move up (to OU)? If so, what controls this?

I would like to get back into the X/Y Metagame, could someone with a reasonable amount of knowledge PM me to help build a team? Any insight is appreciated.

Also, to my knowledge, there are certain shiny blocks on some pokemon. What would happen if someone were to transfer a shiny Reshiram over (which cannot be obtained without hacking)? What would happen if a Shiny Gen 3 Mew were sent over (which can legally be a shiny)?

see any immediate flaws with this team? I've been running it for a couple days and it seems to wreck most passerby people. the gengar does seem a bit random its just a pivot for fighting or ground

forretress defensive rocky helmet sturdy
ferrothorn sp. defensive leftovers anticipation
hippowdon defensive smooth rock sand stream
tyranitar sp. defensive assult vest sand stream
garchomp physically offensive choice band sand veil
gengar specially offensive gengarite (or specs) levetate
It seems like your team depends far too hard on that ttar staying alive. As soon as its gone mega zard y (or roosts talon flame) wrecks that team, garchomp isn't known to taking hits either. Furthermore, ttar doesn't have recovery, which means switching in to rocks or spikes pretty deadly. And a definite counter to that team is offensive deoxys speed with its insane coverage, which comes in at the end and wrecks your team. I'd recommend a different wall pair as forry and ferro both have crippling fire weaknesses. Heck, mega zard x gets one dd up and has a chance to sweep if hippo is low enough.

Can I have some help with playing RestTalk MGyarados?

I've been into competitive Pokemon for four years now, but I've never been willing to give Restalk strategies a try since I really hate the idea of its unpredictability. The way I see it, there are so many uncertainties:
1. Predicting the enemy in general
2. Sleep talk can roll rest
3. If mono-attacking, there's only a one-in-three chance that you will roll your attack move (this is the case with MGyara)
4. You might wake up any time

I feel that it gives the enemy way too many free turns in general. However, apparently many people have success with it? I need help with understanding what to do when in Rest state, with a Resttalk, Dragon Dance, Waterfall Mgyara.

I've been into competitive Pokemon for four years now, but I've never been willing to give Restalk strategies a try since I really hate the idea of its unpredictability. The way I see it, there are so many uncertainties:
3. If mono-attacking, there's only a one-in-three chance that you will roll your attack move (this is the case with MGyara)

I feel that it gives the enemy way too many free turns in general. However, apparently many people have success with it? I need help with understanding what to do when in Rest state, with a Resttalk, Dragon Dance, Waterfall Mgyara.
umm i'd be tempted to go 3 moves, rest/sleep talk/waterfall or eq. I don't use it often, as like you mentioned the unpredictability but i wouldn't trust a 1 in 3 chacne to get an attack personally. But thats just me. I'd say experiment with it.

EDIT

actually, after looking at gyaras bulk i'd say dd set is an option, but you have to make sure that most of the hard hitters are gone. Gyra does not fancy taking drain punches from a conk.

Standard power vs speed questions: What notable pokemon can be outsped by Timid Scarf Magnezone but not outsped by Modest? And what notable pokemon can be OHKOed (n-HKOed) by Modest but only 2HKOed (n+1HKOed) by Timid? Lv. 50

Last edited:

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus

Well, first of all, when you use Rest, the sleep turns are fixed. You will ALWAYS be asleep for two turns, so that should fix #4 on your "uncertainty" list.

Next, I'd say one of the major issues with RestTalk Gyarados is that unlike a lot of other RestTalkers, you're not boosting your defenses in any way. That's why I'd advise using RestTalk with something that can hold Leftovers (in this case, regular Gyarados).

If you'd like a great RestTalk Gyarados set, head over to Gyarados's OU Analysis page in the C&C forums! It's the fourth set down from the top.

Considering the following moveset, which pokemon would you say is more viable: Uxie or Azelf?
@ Light Clay
Light Screen
Reflect
Stealth Rock
U-turn

What concerns me is that my opponent will have a Swampert with Waterfall and Avalanche (Atk 319 @ lvl 100) and a. Eviolite Porygon2 with Shadow Ball (252 Sp Atk+), which is why I'm unsure as to whether or not I should stick with the best defenses possible or sacrifice defenses for more power (this is no ordinary competitive battle as you can see, therefore the only concerns are really just Swampert and Porygon2)

Last edited:
Considering the following moveset, which pokemon would you say is more viable: Uxie or Azelf?
@ Light Clay
Light Screen
Reflect
Stealth Rock
U-turn

What concerns me is that my opponent will have a Swampert with Waterfall and Avalanche (Atk 319 @ lvl 100) and a. Eviolite Porygon2 with Shadow Ball (252 Sp Atk+), which is why I'm unsure as to whether or not I should stick with the best defenses possible or sacrifice defenses for more power (this is no ordinary competitive battle as you can see, therefore the only concerns are really just Swampert and Porygon2)
if you wanted to deal with them specifically then run taunt instead of u-turn. For that set run uxie, better defences in general. If you want to take down pert and p2 you could run LO azelf with energy ball and psyshock to sacrifice the dual screens.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
@ Light Clay
Light Screen
Reflect
Stealth Rock
U-turn

Why care about offenses when your only attacking move is U-turn? Go with uxie.

Where can I find the Gen VI models that look like the ones in game? They are now in use on Pokemon Showdown and in the forums here, but I can't seem to find them.

It seems like your team depends far too hard on that ttar staying alive. As soon as its gone mega zard y (or roosts talon flame) wrecks that team, garchomp isn't known to taking hits either. Furthermore, ttar doesn't have recovery, which means switching in to rocks or spikes pretty deadly. And a definite counter to that team is offensive deoxys speed with its insane coverage, which comes in at the end and wrecks your team. I'd recommend a different wall pair as forry and ferro both have crippling fire weaknesses. Heck, mega zard x gets one dd up and has a chance to sweep if hippo is low enough.
in all honesty i've done fine without ttar. on top of that, tyranitar takes any sp atk like a beast. i can survive 2 focus blasts from mega mewtwo y and ohko it with payback. the idea behind the team is ttar and ferro, hippow and forr complemet each other except for ttar and ferros shared fighting weakness. thats a problem

Should all mega pokemons be banned? it limits teambuilding and forces people to use at least 1 on their team unless they want to be disadvantaged.

umm i'd be tempted to go 3 moves, rest/sleep talk/waterfall or eq. I don't use it often, as like you mentioned the unpredictability but i wouldn't trust a 1 in 3 chacne to get an attack personally. But thats just me. I'd say experiment with it.

EDIT

actually, after looking at gyaras bulk i'd say dd set is an option, but you have to make sure that most of the hard hitters are gone. Gyra does not fancy taking drain punches from a conk.
Thanks!
Well, first of all, when you use Rest, the sleep turns are fixed. You will ALWAYS be asleep for two turns, so that should fix #4 on your "uncertainty" list.

Next, I'd say one of the major issues with RestTalk Gyarados is that unlike a lot of other RestTalkers, you're not boosting your defenses in any way. That's why I'd advise using RestTalk with something that can hold Leftovers (in this case, regular Gyarados).

If you'd like a great RestTalk Gyarados set, head over to Gyarados's OU Analysis page in the C&C forums! It's the fourth set down from the top.
I see, and I suppose I should drop using MGyara- after 30 or so games, I've realized he can't usually take enough punishment to even survive the resting rounds. Thanks!

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Should all mega pokemons be banned? it limits teambuilding and forces people to use at least 1 on their team unless they want to be disadvantaged.
Not true. For example, if you have a team of five non-mega offensive Pokemon, and the final Pokemon needs to be a cleric, would you use a Mega-Evolution over Chansey or Sylveon or something else? Of course not, because it doesn't fit the role. Even though Mega Evolutions are certainly powerful and useful, they are still limited by what role they can play by virtue of typing, movepool, etc., not to mention (lack of) items. I'd actually say Mega Evolutions actually improve teambuilding by adding to the pool of viable Pokemon to choose from. The argument of being at a "disadvantage" is no longer relevant when you factor roles, strategies, and playstyles into the equation, because all Mega Evolutions have their pros and cons just like every other Pokemon in OU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)