Battle Mechanics Research

I decided to do a bit more testing with Misty Terrain in Le Wow last night.
Here are the results for the sake of fully explaining this move's mechanics for searchers.

It doesn't matter if the dragon move user or the status ailment user is grounded itself or airborne;
dragon-type attacks will deal half damage and status ailments will not work on grounded targets.
Confusion is not prevented in this terrain.

If a pokemon with Protean uses a move affected by Electrify or Ion Deluge, will it change its type to the original type or to Electric? Do any of these moves affect Hidden Power, Natural Gift or Judgment?

Last edited:
Slayer95

If a Protean bearer's normal-type moves influenced by Ion Deluge will transform it into an electric-type move.
Ion Deluge will not affect hidden power's type. The move also may not affect normal-type moves that have their typing changed by another factor in light of that.

If the Protean bearer is influenced by Electrify, it will transform into the electric-type along with the next move it uses.

Out of heart scales atm so I'll have to re-teach Judgement to my Arceus and test its interactions (and Natural Gift's) with those moves later.

Just faced a Chople Berry Exploud in the Battle Maison, and unless this had already been said, Type resistant berries only decrease damage on the first hit of Parental Bond.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I noticed that in the Battle Maison when I Knock Off killed NPC mons, the message "X was Knocked Off" still came up.

IDK if it's this way in actual battles, but someone could double check that maybe.

Something from earlier in the thread that I don't believe got explained very well:

If Freeze Dry (the Ice-type move that Water-types are weak to) is changed by Electrify, it becomes an electric type move. Since Electric-type moves are already super-effective against Water-types, Freeze-Dry's side effect won't stack. That is, an Electrified Freeze-Dry against a pure water-type will do 2x damage, and not 4x. Used against (Water Absorb) Lanturn or Ludicolo, the move will do 1x damage. Used against Water/Flying types, the move does 4x damage (which it already did).

Ive been doing trolling research with sky drop and I've discovered that It suppresses some abilities. The only ability I know of that it works on currently is Speed boost (NWXW-WWWW-WWW5-N7EX). Also If the weight limit is static, I believe it to be between 407 and 440 lbs. (185 to 200 kg). I have been able to pick up Mega Abomasnow (407 lbs) but not Virizion (440 lbs).

Ash_F2D what was your Sky Dropper's weight? I'm curious if that is put into effect as well.
I primarily used Mega Aerodactyl (174 lbs. 79.0 kg) but as of this post Ive also tested using dragonite (463.0 lbs.210.0 kg) vs Tyranitar (445.3 lbs. 202.0 kg) and Virizion both were unsuccessful. Suicune however was successful (412.3 lbs. 187.0 kg). So at this point it is all but confirmed that the weight limit is static. The only pokemon left to test to find the exact weight limit are Bronzong, Entei, and Ho-Oh. As a side note, I was able to pick up Registeel with the ability light metal.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I tested it in-game and when a pokemon with the ability Mega Launcher uses Heal Pulse it heals by 75% not by 50%, idk if this was implemented into PS but if not it needs to be (Wonder if Clawitzer will get more use if it is)

I recently learned something cool about Flower Veil.

Not only does the bearer of the ability protect its grass-type allies from stat reduction,
it protects them from non-volatile status ailments as well (burn, poison, paralysis, sleep, freeze).
I read an article on Nugget Bridge and the author mentioned how FV protects his gourgeist from such ailments such as Smeargle's Dark Void.
I then went into Le Nah with those two guys and had florges try to toxic gourgeist. It failed due to her ability.

Regarding Lightning Rod: ground-type bearers of the ability will draw in the move Electrify and receive the special attack boost, despite ground guys being immune to electric-type attacks.

Last edited:
I was wondering if someone could help me understand what is happening with Round in this battle. Round should let multiple pokemon skip the regular turn order to use Round one after another. However, in triple battles it just seems to "forget" about this rule. I've lost many battles in Battle Maison due to Round not working correctly.

I have a battle video that finally shows off everything (most of the times when it doesn't work, Aurorus gets KO'd in the first turn and people can just yell "You didn't select Round for it"). Turn one, Registeel breaks the Round Spam with a Rock Polish. Turn two, Gardevoir is now the slowest member of the team, and the Round combo goes off even with Registeel using Rock Polish again.

WMMW - WWWW - WWW5 - RZ2V

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Yeah SorrySleeping something seems weird with Round (as pointed out by Theorymon earlier in the thread) but I'm not quite sure what it is, and don't have the proper tools to test it.

I need to look through the thread, since I'm not sure what page Theorymon posted, but Round only goes up to 120 BP. Also the battle video post shows despite the break, Aurorus's Round does have 120 BP. Annoyingly, the PokemonShowdown Calculator doesn't have "Roud" as a Move.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Aurorus (No Move) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regirock: 348-409 (115.6 - 135.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Aurorus (No Move) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Regirock: 174-205 (57.8 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I have another Video that shows 5 pokemon using Round, again broken by nothing.
Prygon -Z Round, Greninja Round, Gardevoir Round, Armaldo Rock Polish, Florges Round, Aurorus Round.
R24G - WWWW - WWW5 - S8LA

4 SpA Florges (No Move) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 61-72 (19.5 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO
4 SpA Florges (No Move) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 121-143 (38.7 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Okay, something totally bizarre happened in a Triples battle I accidentally did yesterday. In the battle, I was facing a team based around Round. A Scarf Porygon-Z led with Round, and then both the Sylveon and Aurorus seemed to get priority from it, as they outsped my Manectric. HOWEVER, later on in the match, he used Round with Mega Gardevoir, Reuniclus, and Porygon-Z. The odd part is that THIS time, Reuniclus went AFTER my Pokemon.

So TL;DR: I think something else is effecting Round's priority in a way we don't know of yet.

Here is the battle video for those of you that want to see it: 8EAG-WWWW-WWW5-E849

Oh, it was on the previous page. ~_~

I'm doing some more BP grinding in Battle Maison tomorrow, I'll try to write down results. It seems every time a "perfect combo" of Round goes off, the next turn will fail, even if it is in the next battle.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Dunno if this was tested already, but Reflect Type does not cure Paralysis or Burn if RT is used on an Electric or Fire type respectively. Tested in Le Nah with a Mew, Jolteon, and Pyroar.

I want to test something involving Forest's Curse and Grass immunities next, but I need other people for that since it requires three mons...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)