XY Battle Spot: Hidden TR

Hi, it's been a while since I've posted here, and i'm looking to get some feedback for my team. I've found it easier for opponents to prepare for a Trick Room team when it's obvious that it's a Trick Room team. So a few goals I've set forth for this team were:

-Set up trick room
-Do the best possible to not seem like a TR team in the preview
-Have many possible Mega Pokemon to keep my opponent guessing
-Make sure that these Pokemon can work well in many possible combinations in or out of TR
-Have type coverage

Of course, some trainers will recognize this as a TR team. (Especially after this thread!) However I try to pick my mons accordingly, and try to predict what the opponent thinks I'm going to do, so then I try to alter my strategy which doesn't work as often, but then my team doesn't get recognized as often. Another thing I've noticed is that this team struggles against weather teams, especially sun. I'd say the success rate of this team is around 60-75%. Now the team.

Amp @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Evs: 252 HP / 164 Satk / 92 SDef
Nature: Quiet
Ivs: 31/x/31/31/31/0
o Dragon Pulse
o Thunderbolt
o Focus Blast
o Protect

My favorite mon on this team, and my mega. Ampharos is meant to be used after Jelli sets up TR. 3 Standard attacking moves meant to deal big damage and hit a variety of types. Generally I'll throw it out after Jelli/Liepard faints, or if I feel like I can get a free switch due to Encore. The ev spread I updated to be able to take a Mega Gardevoir Moonblast.

Jelli @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Cursed Body
Evs: 252 HP / 4 Satk / 252 SDef
Nature: Sassy
Iv's: 31/x/31/31/31/0
o Trick Room
o Surf
o Ice Beam
o Protect

Jellicent will almost always be paired with Liepard, and if he is paired with Liepard he is going to lead. Liepard covers easy TR set up, so I can get that up. Surf is a good spread/STAB move. Now I chose Ice Beam over Shadow Ball because Liepard can basically hit the same things with Sucker Punch. I have it equipped with weakness policy because I often find it on the brunt of a super effective move right off the bat, and the extra power in TR never hurts.

Sid @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Evs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
Ivs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
o Fake Out
o Sucker Punch
o Encore
o Protect

Liepard is the all-star of this team. It allows for immediate set-up for Jellicent, which is Liepard's main paring. Fake Out to take out a potential Taunt/Something sure to OHKO Jelli. Sucker Punch as it's STAB move. Encore is key. Encore locks a move in, which is handy for someone that used Fake Out (I'd Protect Turn 1) or another status move during the previous turn. Liepard really helps with support, and allows me to rest easy knowing I can have a very successful first few turns with this guy on the field.

Bow @ Air Balloon
Ability: Inner Focus
Evs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
Nature: Jolly
Ivs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
o Bullet Punch
o Close Combat
o Earthquake
o Protect

Breaking away from the TR formula. It's all about espionage with Lucario, and Charla. Both are here to disguise potential megas, and my TR. Both are there for type coverage. Also both are not blindingly fast so in TR they have the advantage on mons that take advantage of their speed. Bullet Punch is for priority/STAB which is handy if something will outpseed it/is weak. Close Combat is it's hard-hitting STAB. Earthquake for coverage, and works hand'n'hand with Charla and doesn't do much to Torterra or Jellicent, should it be out on the same turn with them. Air Balloon is mostly for it being out with Torts, and due to me not being able to find a better item to fit. Suggestions in this area are most appreciated.

Charla @ White Herb
Ability: Blaze
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid
Ivs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
o Air Slash
o Overheat
o Dragon Pulse

o Protect

Explained in the Lucario description what it's purpose is. Air Slash is to get potential hax and to provide a STAB. To hit hard, I've given it Overheat for a more powerful, more accurate Fire Blast, and White Herb lets it get two off, maximum force. Dragon Pulse is for some Dragon coverage, and to help out Mega Ampharos if it's out there with it.

Torts @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Nature: Brave
Ivs: 31/31/31/x/31/0
o Substitute
o Wood Hammer
o Earthquake

o Protect

Torterra is my additional type coverage & TR worker. Sometimes I can get Substitute off so it has additional protection, and leftovers restores substitute HP, and of course in-battle damage HP. Wood Hammer as a really powerful STAB, leftovers helps with the recoil too. Earthquake is it's other STAB, and coverage. Sometimes I'll use Torts against rain teams. While it doesn't resist water, and sure doesn't resist ice, it's grass typing lets it hit most Water types super effectively,and EQ lets it hit electric types other than those floating.

Any kind of advice is welcome! :)

Last edited:
It´s nice that you try a different approach at trickroom teams. Partial trickroom teams can work.
Nevertheless, this needs some hard work to get you more successful.
I cannot imagine that you are successful with this team against higher ranked players, which you might not have battled yet.

To improve your team in and out of trickroom I would recommend the following:
Replace Liepard with a secondary trickroom inducer.
Your Liepardset does not seem to give your team enough support and does´t threaten your opponent enough.
Also MegaAmpharos is just a bit underwhelming out of trickroom and in doubles your Jellicent might not last too long. Maybe a bulky Cresselia with Trickroom/Helping Hand/Moonlight/attack of choice could help you.

Revise your EV spreads for the bulky Pokemon, it usually is best to invest a lot in HP before investing in Defense/SpecialDefense. I would actually recommend to use a damage calculator and test different spreads against the mentioned Blizzard from MegaAbomasnow but also a physical attack since double targeting is a common strategy against trickroom sweepers.

Torterra has poor synergy with your team, as it has quite some overlapping weaknesses with your other members and not so impressive attack power. Maybe you would be more successful with some traditional trickroom sweeper like Guts Conkeldurr, which can use MachPunch outside of trickroom if necessary. In a similar way Charizard is just not impressive enough/ easily checked with common Pokemon in the metagame. Your WhiteHerb might not even last long enough with Landorus-T being so common. What about Talonflame instead of it?

To be more versatile in and out of trickroom you could finally adjust your Lucarios move set. It has access to Extreemspeed afterall.

It´s nice that you try a different approach at trickroom teams. Partial trickroom teams can work.
Nevertheless, this needs some hard work to get you more successful.
I cannot imagine that you are successful with this team against higher ranked players, which you might not have battled yet.

To improve your team in and out of trickroom I would recommend the following:
Replace Liepard with a secondary trickroom inducer.
Your Liepardset does not seem to give your team enough support and does´t threaten your opponent enough.
Also MegaAmpharos is just a bit underwhelming out of trickroom and in doubles your Jellicent might not last too long. Maybe a bulky Cresselia with Trickroom/Helping Hand/Moonlight/attack of choice could help you.

Revise your EV spreads for the bulky Pokemon, it usually is best to invest a lot in HP before investing in Defense/SpecialDefense. I would actually recommend to use a damage calculator and test different spreads against the mentioned Blizzard from MegaAbomasnow but also a physical attack since double targeting is a common strategy against trickroom sweepers.

Torterra has poor synergy with your team, as it has quite some overlapping weaknesses with your other members and not so impressive attack power. Maybe you would be more successful with some traditional trickroom sweeper like Guts Conkeldurr, which can use MachPunch outside of trickroom if necessary. In a similar way Charizard is just not impressive enough/ easily checked with common Pokemon in the metagame. Your WhiteHerb might not even last long enough with Landorus-T being so common. What about Talonflame instead of it?

To be more versatile in and out of trickroom you could finally adjust your Lucarios move set. It has access to Extreemspeed afterall.
Thanks for the rate! :)

Liepard actually synergizes real well with Pokemon that use set up moves, but as you stated that's basially one mon. I'm skilled at using it so again, I'm hesitant to replace it, what mon would you suggest over Liepard. I was thinking Gardevoir, but I'm not sure. So I'm not that fluent with gen 6 yet, so please forgive my lack of knowledge. How would Talonflame be an upgrade over Charizard? I'm not quite sure what your saying about Lucario either? :L I'm don't know if having Lucario, and Conkeldurr on the same team would be good. Please get back to be a soon as you can! :)

First off, Charizard is not a very good pokemon without his mega evolutions. I know 100 Speed isn't that fast in today's metagame, but it is still a little too fast for such an underwhelming pokemon. Talonflame is an upgrade because he works inside and outside of TR. He's really fast out of it, and can still spam priority Brave Bird inside of TR. Just watch out for other priorities, as the slower pokemon goes first. I don't really play doubles, so I'm hesitant to provide a set, so hopefully someone else will.

First off, Charizard is not a very good pokemon without his mega evolutions. I know 100 Speed isn't that fast in today's metagame, but it is still a little too fast for such an underwhelming pokemon. Talonflame is an upgrade because he works inside and outside of TR. He's really fast out of it, and can still spam priority Brave Bird inside of TR. Just watch out for other priorities, as the slower pokemon goes first. I don't really play doubles, so I'm hesitant to provide a set, so hopefully someone else will.
I'll investigate Talonflame more. I skipped it over somehow so thanks for the suggestion. Still open to rates to better this team. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)