SwagPlay, evaluating potential bans (basic definition of "uncompetitive" in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some points I've seen supporting Swagger:
1. You can switch out...and get half your team paralyzed, and possibly eaten up by entry hazards. Now your weakened, paralyzed team is bait for Mega Garchomp, Mega Heracross, or any manner of insanely strong albeit slow bulky attacker.
2. It's not an effective strategy...and neither is Double Team. Still, it turns a game of RNG chess in to a series of coin flips. Your point's pretty meh
3. It can be Taunted...but not if the taunter is the one switching in, and hits itself to death. Oh, and also, the same Pranksters with priority Taunt are used by Parafusion teams.
4. Electric/Ground types can't be paralyzed...and can still kill themselves over a series of coinflips.
5. Hax exist...but not to the extreme of a 50/50 every turn. The chance of full paralysis is a simple 25%, a Focus Blast miss is 30%, and Play Rough is a 10% chance of missing (and there's still people who want the acc checks removed on these moves, even with the lesser chances of them happening). Also, with all these, there's ways around them, like not using lower-accuracy moves and running Electric/Ground types to avoid paralysis.
6. Magic Bounce beats Swagger and Thunder Wave...and all of the Magic Bounce users besides Mega Absol (who takes a Mega slot and can't switch in until after it mega evolves) are weak to Foul Play. Furthermore, none of them are too great: Espeon is the only one of the four that is OU, and it's considered one of the worst OU mons anyways.
7. Infiltrator/Sound moves/multi-hit moves...can still be haxed to death.
Finally, who wants to run Thundurus or Espeon on every team? Good lord, that makes teambuilding boring.
This is what bothers me: does no one agree that you can easily use the +2 atk to sweep if you do it right? I can't tell you how often I've swaggered a garchomp who subsequently snapped out of confusion and swept my entire teaman with +2 EQ. Like seriously. It isn't even worth discussing banning. If you ban this, you might as well ban togekiss for paraflinch. This topic is so stupid.

Do not ban anything.

Ban Swagger yes.

This form of luck based strategy is just no fun when you are on the receiving end of it and if you aren't lucky then you waste precious energy taking it down in to no avail. As mentioned before Paralysis is nullified by electric types so this is good but swagger has the capacity to cripple multiple Pokemon when it has no right to do so.

I once came across a team that simply used the following moves on all of the mons;
Substitute/ Swagger/ Foul Play/ Recovery move
They all had the Prankster ability too. How on earth do you beat that? Breaking a sub whilst rolling the dice hoping you don't hit yourself in confusion enough times to take one Pokemon down but this was six in this instance and it isn't strategy, it is just sheer abuse. This was an extreme scenario but Swagger is something that seems to reverse the tide of a game absent of skill but raw luck.

Another luck based strategy that springs to mind but isn't as frowned upon (I am relatively new to competitive battling so I know a little bit,) is parahax. It takes a little more to pull off but this is luck based nonetheless but it is also not as terminal as what swagger does.

You can't necessarily ban certain conditions really as inflicting status on a team is a completely different aspect altogether and is perfectly viable.

Also banning certain Pokemon isn't the way to go either. They could have other reasons for being on a team. The more honorable users of Klefki use it for dual screens for example so banning a Pokemon for having a specific move would be unfair and also not give certain Pokemon a chance to flourish in a new role for a second chance in this life.

So I am all for banning the actual concept and move Swagger so as to ensure that someones win condition isn't based on a lucky few moves that shape the whole match.

Failing that giving priority to such a move in the ability Prankster can suck the life out of certain battles and the combo of Prankster/Swag should at the very least be banned. Problems that occur with this is that swagger could still exist but not with the Pokemon it worrks best with but on the plus side it wouldn't be nearly as effective as teams will at least have a fighting chance against Swagger balancing the implications of it somewhat.

Last edited:
Why doesn't everyone meet in the middle? Maybe a new ban on having more than one swagger/prankster/foul play user on a team.
That could be fair. Though then that opens up the can of marbles is it one Pokemon that actually uses Prankster-Swagger-Foul Play-T Wave, or one that has the ability to use it?

So, for example, if I wanted to put Klefki and Thundurus on my team, Klefki rocking the swag and thunderus beasting it out with Nasty Plot, is that now not allowed? Or can Thundurus be there since he is my special attacker?

Sorry if what I say has been said before, but I only saw this thread about an hour ago, and after about 3 pages, I decided I'd just skim

The thing I've been seeing a lot of that I completely disagree with is that Swagplay has counters. I don't see who they are. Most Espeons are 2HKO'd by foul play, and even the few viable electric types that exist, only the prankster has a reliable way around swagger.

For that reason, I'm in favor of either of the 1st 2 options. Banning all swagplay options would be too painful, and maybe more detrimental than swagger.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Three Words:
Espeon
M-Absol
Xatu

I'm done here.
Of these, Xatu is unviable, Espeon is bad, and Mega Absol takes up a Mega slot, and does not have Magic Bounce on the first turn.
This is just ridiculous. Really, the only people who would complain about this would be extremely frustrated people, who have experienced it a couple times. If they were to actually learn something from playing with para-swag based pokemon, they'd have the brains to change their team.

If this problem wasn't so prominent, people wouldn't have to change their teams, they wouldn't encounter them so much, and this thread never would've happened.

Alas, people are satisfied with their teams, obviously not enough to fight this problem of para-swag (which is "common" in OU, yet not common enough for people to understand that their team needs some changing), and instead of using their brains in changing their team, they go to a thread and make all their complaints. It is this kind of mentality that evades me - if it is a problem, it's obviously on both sides of the particpating party.

Essentially, it is up to us to fix this problem, not some mod, if we are to get this nooby way of playing out of the game.

Now, all we have to do is just find a counter.

Perhaps priority moves, or lum berries?
This is the wrong attitude. It doesn't matter that SwagPlay has counters. The fact of that matter is that just the use of Swagger turns the battle into a coinflip. It is a strategy that can allow worse players to beat better players and is entirely unskillful. If you cannot argue this core point then you're wasting your time. 45% odds w/ accuracy, whatever, it's a coinflip.

Unless you have Magic Bounce mons (most of which suck), Prankster Taunt (of which viable users consist of: Sableye [not that good] and Thundurus [forfeiting a moveslot, though it isn't a bad option for it anyways]), Own Tempo (all users suck), or Lum Berry (which not many Pokemon want to run) -- the battle is up to a coinflip. This is like any other broken strategy: the broken (well, uncompetitive) part is the coinflip, and there are a few counters but they shouldn't need to be run on every team.

A few users even got suspect reqs with this strategy: if it is consistent enough to do that, it is consistent enough.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
I will say you forgot magic coat which everyone seems to be ignoring.
Latios/Latias, Togekiss, Jirachi, ect. Can all learn it.
In fact a good majority of pokemon can.

It has uses outside of this, and while it takes up a move slot it's not any worse than any other clerical move.
In fact it could take over defog if you predict well. Since it bounces back entry hazards.
Magic Coat acts as a check, yes. But, if you switch in to a Swagger, you're still confused, and if you proceed to hurt yourself in confusion rather than Magic Coat, well...

I am in favour of not banning Swagger. Simply put, there is no point in discussing SwagPlay when the strategy won't even be in OU once the lower tiers materialize.

And can people please stop naming ridiculous strategies such as Own Tempo and Lum Berry specifically to counter SwagPlay, those strategies are completely unviable.

Of these, Xatu is unviable, Espeon is bad, and Mega Absol takes up a Mega slot, and does not have Magic Bounce on the first turn.

Espeon is amazing. If he's not performing, bouncing back almost every entry hazard and status move the enemy throws at you, then you need to git gud. Simple as that.

Some points I've seen supporting Swagger:
1. You can switch out...and get half your team paralyzed, and possibly eaten up by entry hazards. Now your weakened, paralyzed team is bait for Mega Garchomp, Mega Heracross, or any manner of insanely strong albeit slow bulky attacker.
I'm willing to call this an effective strategy. You have paralyzed an opponent's team, and now you're sweeping it. If this is swagger phazing for you to do this, it is not only completely legitimate, it is something that can be used as an EFFECTIVE strategy. There's no reason I can't do this WITHOUT prankster, so why do I have to lose my ability to phaze something and twave without going to -7 to phaze? A team such as that is not the source of the problem here, is it?

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
This is what bothers me: does no one agree that you can easily use the +2 atk to sweep if you do it right? I can't tell you how often I've swaggered a garchomp who subsequently snapped out of confusion and swept my entire teaman with +2 EQ. Like seriously. It isn't even worth discussing banning. If you ban this, you might as well ban togekiss for paraflinch. This topic is so stupid.

Do not ban anything.
I see /vp/ has found this thread, given the amount of 1-5 post users are suddenly replying to it.
Yes, you can sweep with a Swaggered Garchomp. You can also watch in horror as your +2 Garchomp proceeds to kill itself. The fact remains it turns the game in to nothing more than a giant coinflip.

Magic Coat is not a move you can just stick on any poke, plus foul play still shits on deoxys, the most common user
Lum berry works once
Magic Bounce users die to Foul Play
1. There is no viable Own Tempo user 2. If I have to use Own Tempo just to counter Swagplay, I take away team synergy

A smart Swagplay player will have a couple Swagplay users, Imposter Ditto, a sweeper or two, and some way to set up hazards. There goes every counter you could possibly have, since now you can't just PP stall by switching.

I am for a ban on Confusion + Prankster. This is the easiest way to eliminate the problem. Swagger and co. have little use outside of these trolling antics, and are fine without the priority
Almost any. There are countless pokemon who do learn it from 5th gen and below.

Personally this is my options:
Either no ban, or meet in the middle. Only one Swagger + Prankster user per team.
If a ban MUST happen. I'd vote for Swagger + Prankster.

I am posting to contribute, and that I am for no bans.

I'm not going further right now because I don't have a formal argument yet, but I'll be making one as this topic percolates and I'm less overall angry. But my voice has been heard.

I don't see any bans for ParaFlinch strategies, which are essentially the same thing.
Expect for the fact that you can bring in faster Pokemon and take it out. When you play against a SwagPlay team, bringing in a faster Pokemon doesn't help since Prankster beats you regardless of speed.

If your main argument here is that this strategy takes no skill to use, then you should be banning a helluvalot more things that take no strategy to use. For example; Talonflame with Gale Wings and Brave Bird. Aegislash is borderline, he requires some prediction to use, but he can take pretty much any SE hit, SD up, and OHKO back with Shadow Sneak.
lol.

SwagPlay requires more skill to use than priority Brave Bird, and Dragonite with a Lum Berry, or in fact, anything that utilizes a Lum Berry set takes a big dump on SwagPlay.
So abusing luck to your advantage so your opponent can't attack is skillful?

There are pokemon who bounce back Swagger and completely laugh at SwagPlay.
None of those can take a Foul Play particularly well.

Banning M-Luke? Eh. You could have just banned NP/SD on him and called it a day.
Then you render a ton of setup sweepers useless. Is making a bunch of setup less effective better then just banning one Pokemon? Let me know cuz apparently I don't know since I supported the Mega Lucario ban.

Banning M-Gengar? Same as banning Wobbuffet.
Wobbuffet has 8 move in its entire movepool and can only trap and kill Pokemon that are choice locked into an attack. While Mega Gengar has the movepool that can be tailored to take out specific mons for a team. You need Skarmory gone so Dragonite can sweep, use Mega Gengar with Thunderbolt. If goes the same for whatever sweeper you can think of. I don't see how this is comparable...

This is why most other communities for competitive battling shun you guys these days. This thread right here. You wonder why people say "Oh, pfft, fucking Smogon."? This is why.
Pokemon Online is doing the same thing. I don't see you bashing them...

To be clear, I'm not anti-swagplay. I rather indifferent to it tbh (If anyone cares lol) but can see reasons both for and against a ban.

Why doesn't everyone meet in the middle? Maybe a new ban on having more than one swagger/prankster/foul play user on a team.
Good medium imo. Dunno if that would be consider 'complex' and if people would go for it though.

Since the team I stole use has Quagsire, I have never run into any trouble with ParaSwag. And in the times where I've used ParaSwag teams to be a dick, I've been shut down by Ground types and Electric types. I've been on both the dealing end and receiving end of ParaSwag and I've never found it to be broken/over-centralizing/whatever you want to call it.

Still, it turns a game of RNG chess in to a series of coin flips
As someone who plays chess above master level, as well as Pokemon, Pokemon is not "RNG chess." Nor is it anywhere close. This is quite possibly the worst comparison to chess I have ever seen, and that is saying a lot.

6-man swag teams are everything in OU, then?
Whether you think it's to troll or not, it's a valid strategy, with valid counters. If you don't want to work around a strategy to beat your opponent, then why are you playing?
"Valid" is a contentious term, I happen to think strategies that rely entirely on 50/50 dicerolls are unhealthy to the game so I would rather be shot of them. If people disagree with me that's fine, these things are best decided by community consensus

...That has nothing to do with my question. I mean, is someone forcing you to play this game all the time? There are alternatives. I get annoyed from other games too. So I take breaks.
It's a metagame, it's Smogon's version of a game. Smogon has always banned things that are considered unhealthy to the metagame, which is why Double Team is banned

What is your definition of a "good player", exactly?
The ladder is there to a measure a player's skill. It's not perfect, but it's the best thing we have. you don't get high ladder players using unviable Own Tempo Pokémon to counter Swagplay, because the people who resort to things like that are the people who don't win a lot of games against conventional teams.

No, you tried. Tried and didn't do very well.
All I did was point out that expecting a player to switch 144 times to drain a Swagplay team of its PP is unreasonable. If you don't think so then actually respond to that point

To be clear, I'm not anti-swagplay. I rather indifferent to it tbh (If anyone cares lol) but can see reasons both for and against a ban.

Good medium imo. Dunno if that would be consider 'complex' and if people would go for it though.
It's the only real compromise I can see all of us coming to while still getting rid of most people's concerns.
They won't have to fight a team of 6 prankster users, and the prankster/swagger users still get to keep their strategy.

Jaiho

bandy legged troll
Almost any. There are countless pokemon who do learn it from 5th gen and below.

Personally this is my options:
Either no ban, or meet in the middle. Only one Swagger + Prankster user per team.
If a ban MUST happen. I'd vote for Swagger + Prankster.
Pls learn to read. I am aware that there are a lot of Magic Coat users. I simply said that you can't just stick it on anything, because it is such a niche move

Let's look at who sits in an internet forum and whines about the game and then evaluate who enjoys the game.
Alright, let's do that. Everyone who actually enjoys playing the game as it was meant to be played, which is on a level playing field only affected by the skill of the two players, are for the ban. But since we're looking at people in this forum, let's also look at the people being deliberately bothersome and impeding the discussion by giving out completely irrelevant and worthless arguments as a way to play around this irritating strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)