Move Power-Up Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
....You really are out there, right?

Where did I say OU?

Where did I say any tier?

I was just throwing a strategy out there.
With a terrible base 52 Speed and a huge Fighting, Flying, and 4x Fairy weakness, you're going to be lucky to get up 1 or 2 PuP let alone sweep. In any tier.

I believe the point they are trying to make is that Pangoro just isn't that great.
Im aware, but they're making it sound like im trying to use it as a groundbreaking strategy, when im just making a simple strategy that came to me when thinking about how op it would be if scizor got PuP

Im aware, but they're making it sound like im trying to use it as a groundbreaking strategy, when im just making a simple strategy that came to me when thinking about how op it would be if scizor got PuP
How would Scizor PUP be better than SD? Unless you were running some screwy AV set or something. Sure, it gets Technician, but it's still a shockingly low BP attack even with Technician.

How would Scizor PUP be better than SD? Unless you were running some screwy AV set or something. Sure, it gets Technician, but it's still a shockingly low BP attack even with Technician.
Not to mention that Breloom gets it - with STAB - and it's still pretty terrible even on him.
EDIT: if only technician made the attack boost go up too.

PuP only has two distinct advantages. It's a method of boosting your attack that A) can not be Taunted, and B) can be used with an Assault Vest. Under any other circumstance it is a very poor choice and abilities like Technician and Iron Fist do not suddenly make the move a viable attack in and of itself. Hell even Hone Claws has more utility than PuP in most cases since it can make moves like Stone Edge and Dragon Rush reliable...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Jaroda : While I mostly agree, Victini and Azelf may find use from it purely because they don't have any other moves to boost attack whatsoever. Victini can PuP turn 1 to scout who switches into it and respond accordingly with a boosted V-create, Fusion Bolt, or U-turn. In fact that doesn't sound like a half-bad idea, I will check calcs

Why are you so butthurt about the fact that people disagree with you? I gave reasons as to why it didn't work as did everyone else. It's a strategy, but it's not going to work period. I never even made a claim about Pangoro's viability, it just has better things to do (i.e. Parting Shot runs contrary to it running boosting sets).

Last edited:
Age of Kings Victini can learn Work Up, which would be a much more viable move considering its equal offensive stats and ginormous movepool. As for Azelf I don't see much point when it gets Calm Mind and Nasty Plot.

There is one other niche use for the move and its on Restalk sets that want a method of improving attack and also need a second attacking move, as the longevity of Restalk can make PuP, in certain circumstances, worth the payoff. But otherwise not really.

But Talonflame does, and thats the example he used.
Pangoro's only niche is scarfed parting shot.

If it comes to the point where I need to use set-up Pangoro to laugh at someone, I would run Bulk Up over any PUP set man, seriously.

But then I'll lose to clefable if I run a bulky 252/252 set.
But then I can't take a hit if I run max speed and attack.
Good luck using Pangoro without a scarf, I can quote common attackers that threaten Pangoro in the lower tiers, but that will be wasting my time and effort.

Weakness Policy Dragonite with Power-Up Punch and the Ability Marvel Scale sounds like an interesting mix. Im actually testing this out to see how it works though.

Greninja@expert belt/dread plate/lum berry/sitrus berry
Protean
Adamant/Jolly/Rash
-Power up punch
-Shadow Sneak
-Waterfall/Fling
-Ice beam/Acrobatics

Some pokemons i tried using PuP:

Dusknoir: Not bulky enough, and still pitifully weak since it needs Shadow Sneak. Tried with Rest Talk.
Metagross: Weakness to ghost doesn't help, but it can use with Assault Vest if you find a room for it.
Kecleon: lol Protean + 2 priority attacks is funny as hell. Basically a Greninja that can take hits. Doesn't like priority attacks though since it will almost always be slower than those priority users. At least it gets Recover if you want to. Useable with AV as well.

Yup, PuP isn't that great. Most pokes have much better ways to raise atk...

Weakness Policy Dragonite with Power-Up Punch and the Ability Marvel Scale sounds like an interesting mix. Im actually testing this out to see how it works though.
The one thing I don't see in it's favor is Ice Shard. Unless you PuP on the Ice Shard and then start spamming E-Speed. ...Which might work but it'd require some really good prediction.

You could run this move on a Krookodile to finish things off, as it can get a p-punch boost and a moxie boost. Krookodile is not great, and running this over coverage is not the best of ideas.

Why are people discussing this move? Unless you are Mega Kangaskhan and it allows you to rape everything it's just a glorified Howl pretty much LOL
Sworddance and bulkup too mainstream
Now all we need is a thread for charge beam over tbolt
#pupster

Power-Up Punch has several theoretical applications on things that can't or can't afford to run moves that don't deal damage. Discussing this move on things that are either incredibly frail but fast or on things like Assault Vest sets more than warranted its discussion, but now that we've seen that very few of its uses actually pay off, not a lot of people like to mess with this move.

Last edited:
The one thing I don't see in it's favor is Ice Shard. Unless you PuP on the Ice Shard and then start spamming E-Speed. ...Which might work but it'd require some really good prediction.
I actually tried this out and it did VERY well on dragonite after a Dragon Dance. My downfall to losing was a priority attack in which I SHOULD have used Extreme Speed. However I faced a normal-type team only and KO'd 2 pokemon before the faint. It can be usable but it's a hard choice to do.

The more I look at this thread the more I'm surprised an Admin hasn't come to shut it down yet...

I actually tried this out and it did VERY well on dragonite after a Dragon Dance. My downfall to losing was a priority attack in which I SHOULD have used Extreme Speed. However I faced a normal-type team only and KO'd 2 pokemon before the faint. It can be usable but it's a hard choice to do.
That's not really calcs and honestly I think Dragonite Would be better off Dragon Dancing with a Lum Berry. For that matter it's taking up a good moveslot that you could use for coverage, like Aqua Tail or perhaps Dragon Claw so you aren't locked into Outrage.

As a side off, I don't know, I want to say this move is usable but the more I look at this, the more I realize it'd require a really precise window.

I'm pretty sure we're going in circles here. Unless someone comes up with something new that is a completely different usage, I think we have covered all of our bases here. Maybe this could see usage in LC if anyone there can learn it, since it seems like one of those sort of "lower level moves" like tackle and growl, now that I think about it. Tackle even has more immediate power, unless it got reverted this gen. But otherwise, I don't think it will see too much usage when you could be using SD or Bulk Up or something.

Azumarill gets it. Maybe power up punch on a switch for that extra power?

Of course that raises the question of why not just use belly drum instead.

Darmantan gets it, and seeing how he doesn't have any other attack boosting move that's not work up or belly drum (and unlike azumarill, has no priority) it might be able to work some.

Regigigas gets it as well, and could potentially serve as a way to not only partially counter slow start a little (in 2 turns you got your full attack back basically) and it might be able to pack quite a punch (pun intended) in the lower tiers.

I can see a few small niche uses for it, but overall it doesn't seem viable for the ou tier.

And it's not really the best for UU either. I decided to run Assault Vest Gallade with IP, Knock Off and Drain Punch alongside and... 4 Moveslot Syndrome has never been more prevalent.

You miss the priority Shadow Sneak gives you, half the coverage not using Bulk Up gives you, lack of boosting reliably...

Honestly? Lock the thread and shut the door, I think. Not much else to this move besides (if the Gems ever get released) that cleaner Hawlucha set. At any rate I think we've discussed all there is to be discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)