2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundongan is pretty much there for the taking if Kroos does go, may play a bit deeper but fit he is probably the best central midfielder in the Bundesliga.

the two late goals that man city and arsenal conceded were very easily avoidable and would have kept their chances of qualifying to the next round alive.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
No, dude, he wants to go from FC Bayern Munich managed by Pep Guardiola, first in the Bundesliga by 16 points to Manchester United, managed by David Moyes who lie in 7th spot.
I also read some articles suggesting that Mourinho intends to bring him but alas, the same applies to us :(

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
idk i still think we're in this tie, the good news is that the shit hit the fan in the first leg, and now we can go into the second like with the mindset that the worst has already happened. forever an optimist, might be, but wenger's tactics we're good up until Gibbs got injured and that entire flank broke down repeatedly, we we're creating chances and frustrating bayern when they we're in possession.

In fairness the Muller goal was unreal, Pizarro and Muller moved together perfectly and it was easy for Lahm to lift it in - impossible to defend and a perfect goal really. First one was a sweet strike but they're a dime a dozen these days.
It was a good second goal but had wilshere not played the free kick quickly, arsenal would not have lost their defensive shape. koscielny had gone for the fk only for wilshere to hit it straight at neuer. Flamini was at cb covering for koscielny and then the goal went it due to this disorganisation

Am I the only one that watches La liga?
One hell of a match between Sociedad and Barca. Counter attacking football at its best. Sociedad have lost around 3 games @ home since the start of last season.
However if they don't get to that 4th spot in the table they I definitely could see Griezmann moving on. Already on 15 goals in the league(19 goals overall). A team like liverpool would suit him perfectly or Dortmund.
(he is much better than that guy Liverpool was link to during the January transfer window).
Barca should of really conceded more than they did today. Reminded me of the games against bayern last year. Incredibly.

Roma and Chelsea getting the important W just makes this weekend better.

Last edited:

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
I find La liga to be too boring because it's dominated by Barcelona and Real Madrid. And, La liga matches are broadcasted too late for me to watch them without ruining the next day.

i'm glad skrtel gave away a penalty for shirt pulling. hopefully he will learn from that

liverpool this season: best attack in the league but worst defence in the league

Aren't you gonna say anything about Gerrard's performance? Seeing as you make sure people know every time he plays poorly, I'd say it's only fair that you praise him when he plays well (or really well)...

My god, Suárez's assist on the third goal... Simply amazing.

Also re: Chelsea's match: yea I agree Ramires dove when he realized he couldn't reach the ball, but it was hard for the ref to see that. And damn, if Howard had done what he was supposed to do, Terry would've probably fouled him. Still a good win in a really tough game.

EDIT: Yea I didn't mean that you were wrong to call him out when he didn't play well, just that when he does he deserves the same treatment. I agree with you on him not being able to do what he used to anymore, which is why he should either have less defensive responsibilities and play loose (hard to do with the current lineup), or not start the games like Giggs did.

Last edited:
Aren't you gonna say anything about Gerrard's performance? Seeing as you make sure people know every time he plays poorly, I'd say it's only fair that you praise him when he plays well (or really well)...

My god, Suárez's assist on the third goal... Simply amazing.

Also re: Chelsea's match: yea I agree Ramires dove when he realized he couldn't reach the ball, but it was hard for the ref to see that. And damn, if Howard had done what he was supposed to do, Terry would've probably fouled him. Still a good win in a really tough game.
I think Gerrard is partly responsible for our defensive fragility. I don't think he's comfortable on the ball enough to play the holding role as well. He's very good at taking free kicks and penalties and he's great at long range passing and long range shots. Are we better off using him sparingly like Ferguson did with Scholes and Giggs? The answer is yes but it won't happen because he's Gerrard and the WC is coming up. That said, I though he was ok today.

Diving wins you matches. Ramires is a fucking god.

Diving for a match winning penalty, and most recently the dive for the FK to win vs Everton.

Amazing scouting by Chelsea.
If you're referring to the penalty against West Brom, it wasn't a dive. Just was not a penalty.

A bit late but here are the Euro 2016 Qualifying groups.

Group A
Netherlands, Czech Republic, Turkey, Latvia, Iceland, Kazakhstan

Group B
Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium, Israel, Wales, Cyprus, Andorra

Group C
Spain, Ukraine, Slovakia, Belarus, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Luxembourg

Group D
Germany, Republic of Ireland, Poland, Scotland, Georgia, Gibraltar

Group E
England, Switzerland, Slovenia, Estonia, Lithuania, San Marino

Group F
Greece, Hungary, Romania, Finland, Northern Ireland, Faroe Islands

Group G
Russia, Sweden, Austria, Montenegro, Moldova, Liechtenstein

Group H
Italy, Croatia, Norway, Bulgaria, Azerbaijan, Malta

Group I
Portugal, Denmark, Serbia, Armenia, Albania

Russia should be able to get 1st. Easy groups for Spain, Germany, England and Portugal. Serbia vs. Albania should be interesting.
Champions league time. Expecting Dortmund and United to win.

We might actually qualify this time :OOOOO not getting up the hopes of course, Coleman always leaves a team in worse shape than he found it.
To be fair, Wales' chances of qualifying are minimal imo. Belgium and Bosnia are the obvious favourites.

As bad as Zenit were Dortmund were efficient in scoring some of their chances.
They still need Hummels and bender back.( Gundogan would be like a new signing).

England V san marino, always fun watching England score so goals.

ISREAL are NOT in Europe, why are they here, go off geography and put them in Asia.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
Tbf if you put Israel in the geographic region where they'd belong, they literally wouldn't survive away games.
On another note, Manchester United is absolutely horrible and Moyes deserves to be fired unless he miraculously gains tactical insight overnight holy balls that was a god awful performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)