DS and Wii online services to be fully killed May 20th this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo has confirmed that all remaining online services for the DS and Wii games will be terminated after this date. This means that you will not be able to go online with any of the following Pokémon games: Pokémon Diamond, Pokémon Pearl, Pokémon Platinum, Pokémon HeartGold, Pokémon SoulSilver, Pokémon Battle Revolution, Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, Pokémon White 2, My Pokémon Ranch, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia & Pokémon Conquest. All online features of these games will be inaccessible, regardless of the console you play them on. All 3DS and Wii U games will continue to be playable online, as will Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter.

this basically means that for the gen 4-5 games this is killing the GTS for those gens and the other remaining online features of of these games and for PBR and gen 4-5 you won't be able to find battles online anymore.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I will tag TheMantyke here because this probably impacts him and the Wifi forum too.

This is pretty sad but it was going to have to come to an end at some point, supporting 5~8 year old games isn't done much in the Console world (Its fairly common in PC Land). I am actually surprised the Gen 4 GTS is still active :|

Do note that this actually happens in May, not March. We still have roughly three months of Wi-Fi left.

That said, seeing Nintendo Wi-Fi end after nine years of service since Mario Kart DS came out is pretty sad. We'll miss you. :(

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kind of disappointing to see this go. No more Gen 4-5 WiFi battles (I do this on occasion with friends who have moved away) and no more SSBB or MKWii online, which really does disappoint me. Oh well, I guess it was something that was going to come eventually. Still doesn't make me thrilled about it though lol.

Do all of these games even have online features? I can't think of any for Conquest at least.

Nevertheless, it's slightly surprising to see it all go, as BW2 is still relatively fresh, but then again... it's only one game, on a series with a new game(s) out.

This shouldn't affect the ability to transfer Pokemon from, say, Pearl to Black 2, right? That can all be done without using the Internet, if both consoles are in the same room, right?

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
This shouldn't affect the ability to transfer Pokemon from, say, Pearl to Black 2, right? That can all be done without using the Internet, if both consoles are in the same room, right?
No, these connections are all Local. This transfer system will be totally unaffected. Stuff like Pokecheck however will be impacted.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Update from Pokecheck, download everything you'll need before May 20th:

Hozu: Ok, some confirmation from someone else who knows about fakeGTS services - "...yes it requires auth from Nintendo servers before connecting to the GTS" So when the servers go down, no more GTS uploads/downloads from 4th and 5th gen.

A shame, because fakeGTS servers were useful to someone who has never hacked. I used it as a resource to store and clone my legit Pokemon. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a Powersave or another device to edit my save file, first time in 16 years of playing Pokemon I had to buy a cheating device thanks to Nintendo's ineptness. :/ Nintendo has also lost my business for future non-Pokemon and Kid Icarus games period, I cannot take their blatant anti-consumer behavior anymore between their terrible policies on game licenses, slow transitioning to modern game trends, region locks on 3DS, and now this. Why buy a game if they're just going to make it unplayable in 5 years (in BW2's case, less than two years)? And if it's digital, tied to the console too!

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
This is sad, being a Gen 5 player and all...
luckily I completed my BW2 Dex. But I'll miss trading and battling...

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Update from Pokecheck, download everything you'll need before May 20th:

Hozu: Ok, some confirmation from someone else who knows about fakeGTS services - "...yes it requires auth from Nintendo servers before connecting to the GTS" So when the servers go down, no more GTS uploads/downloads from 4th and 5th gen.

A shame, because fakeGTS servers were useful to someone who has never hacked. I used it as a resource to store and clone my legit Pokemon. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a Powersave or another device to edit my save file, first time in 16 years of playing Pokemon I had to buy a cheating device thanks to Nintendo's ineptness. :/ Nintendo has also lost my business for future non-Pokemon and Kid Icarus games period, I cannot take their blatant anti-consumer behavior anymore between their terrible policies on game licenses, slow transitioning to modern game trends, region locks on 3DS, and now this. Why buy a game if they're just going to make it unplayable in 5 years (in BW2's case, less than two years)? And if it's digital, tied to the console too!
I'm sorry? What? Nothing about this changes how the games core function plays. I don't see how this is "inept" by Nintendo. They have been running this service for like, 8 years or more... It was going to end sooner or later. I also do not see how this is "Anti consumer behaviour" either. They have no released a DS game for a fair while... They are moving onto 3DS games only now. Companies move on. Also: A lot of digital content is tied to the console? Nothing stops you from playing that content :| Not unless Nintendo added some super sneaky Wifi DRM or something.

Look at 360 games and stuff, their servers get shut down all the time. I was *online* when the ChromeHounds servers got switched off. I was disappointed yes, but I didn't go and bitch and call the company inept for that happening :/

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I'm sorry? What? Nothing about this changes how the games core function plays. I don't see how this is "inept" by Nintendo. They have been running this service for like, 8 years or more... It was going to end sooner or later. I also do not see how this is "Anti consumer behaviour" either. They have no released a DS game for a fair while... They are moving onto 3DS games only now. Companies move on. Also: A lot of digital content is tied to the console? Nothing stops you from playing that content :| Not unless Nintendo added some super sneaky Wifi DRM or something.

Look at 360 games and stuff, their servers get shut down all the time. I was *online* when the ChromeHounds servers got switched off. I was disappointed yes, but I didn't go and bitch and call the company inept for that happening :/
I don't buy that excuse because several of those games have sizable communities, outside of Pokemon being mainly Brawl and MKWii. BW2 have been out for less than two years. I am a PC gamer mostly and there are several games that are 15 years+ that still have non-private servers running. I would accept this if Nintendo gave us the option to host private servers in light of this decision like the old computer games that don't have the luxury of the game dev being around to operate servers. They won't have to pay money to run their servers, we get to play our games. Also, the 3DS is 3 years old....I guess 4 years is "a fair while" in the game industry but in the real world it isn't.

As I explained in my previous post, yes this will affect how I and many other people play the games. In addition to Pokecheck & friends, some people still actually do play the 5th gen games online. They aren't irrelevant just because X&Y came out. I own a 3DS and X&Y so "suck it up and upgrade" isn't a valid retort. I would understand if everything was ancient but it's not. You can still play the storyline but you can't trade and play with people online, which is arguably one of the core functions of the games. DW shutting down wasn't a big deal because you can trade with other people or download the stuff off Pokecheck.

My complaint about tied to the console licenses has to do with digital copies, yes, and my complaints are not limited to Nintendo. I don't understand how "but everyone else does it!" means it's ok for any sort of behavior (and I don't understand why it's bad that I have a negative opinion against Nintendo for doing so, is calling them inept really wishing the worst of curses upon them?) I remember when I got a new 3DS, I had some difficulty with getting the games I downloaded on my new console. If you buy a game off the eShop, it's tied to that console. If you happen to lose the console, sell it before transferring the licenses, etc, your games are gone because they're not tied to your NNID. It's one of the reasons why I don't game on consoles very much anymore because my stuff is in a cloud and my ability to play games may or may not be taken from me at any time. This puts a bad taste in my mouth. Anyways, not going to talk about this anymore because it has nothing to do with the topic and tbh I don't care if people think my distaste for such things is dumb.

It is my decision to refuse further business to Nintendo in light of this decision as the 3DS is the last "console" I gave up on, and you are welcome to continue to enjoy whatever you want. It is my own personal decision to not want to buy games because I don't see the point if part of the features will be disabled a few years down the road. Is that a ridiculous reason? That's my opinion, you can call me an idiot or whatever, doesn't stop me from being upset.

Last edited:
I'll miss you Pokemon Diamond, Soulsilver, Black, Ssbb and Mario kart wii online. Mario kart wii's costum tracks online still exist though so i might get those one day.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I went ahead and bought a save editor (for legitimate carts), so I'm prepared for the end. Unfortunately, since the time of the posting, it is not possible to host private servers for Wi-Fi on legitimate carts due to the way the games are coded. For games other than Pokemon, you all may be interested in the Save Nintendo Wi-Fi initiative if you have the proper hardware.

For those of you who get stuff off DNS services, make sure to make a checklist and grab the following:
- event mons. This includes species like Darkrai or Jirachi, and stuff with event moves like V-Create Rayquaza and legendary beasts
- any Dream World-exclusive Pokemon, particularly females (since Dream World is also closed)
- competitive Emerald tutored mons
- Pokemon that come from games you don't own, for instance HGSS ball mons if you don't have HGSS.

R.I.P. memories.

Last edited:
Does this apply to local Wi-Fi as well? I'm referring to trading Pokemon with another DS right next to you. If so, then this REALLY sucks.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Local uses an infrared connection, not a Wi-Fi connection. You can still trade between DS systems.

So you can't transfer pokemon through the poketransfer after May?

Ahhh, I'm sad to see these go :// RIP GTS, SSBB and MKwii online (and rescue mail/ranger net lol)

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Ahhh, I'm sad to see these go :// RIP GTS, SSBB and MKwii online (and rescue mail/ranger net lol)
You can still transfer Pokemon through PokeTransfer... That uses 3DS Wi-Fi connection, not DS.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I'm not sure if my post implied that enough, but DNS spoofing services will no longer work since your connection still requires authentication from official servers. Get everything you want off Pokecheck and co. now or purchase a save editor that works with retail carts.

Also people who still think this affects local connections and Pokebank....lol

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
It is my decision to refuse further business to Nintendo in light of this decision as the 3DS is the last "console" I gave up on, and you are welcome to continue to enjoy whatever you want. It is my own personal decision to not want to buy games because I don't see the point if part of the features will be disabled a few years down the road. Is that a ridiculous reason? That's my opinion, you can call me an idiot or whatever, doesn't stop me from being upset.
I'm sure that Nintendo will greatly suffer from their lack of $35 every couple of months.

Rescue mail is still entirely possible as it doesn't access the Internet at all. For Ranger Net, there is (used to be??) a program called "Mission Injector" that could add missions to your game including the event-only ones; not sure if it's still around though.

I never played SSBB online much since the lag made it suck, but I'll definitely be sad to see Pokecheck GTS spoofing for Gen IV-V go.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not content in buying a backup device for NDS carts because I already plan on getting a powersaver soon enough. If the powersaver was compatible with NDS carts then I'd be satisfied but iirc it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)