Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of pokes that can do that role better than Furfrou and the set is inferior to Furfrous other sets. The main thing(s) i dislike on your set is the Life Orb and the EV spread, lefties is pretty mych always the best item on Furfrou and maybe 252 HP 252 ATT instead of investing 252 EV's in speed so you make it a bulky offensive poke instead? :S Dunno, just throwing out my opinion.

Choice Band Greninja

Greninja @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Night Slash
- Rock Slide
- Water Shuriken

He kinda becomes the poor man's Genesect, but very effective nonetheless (good in Ubers too). Outspeeds all dragons, Lati twins, 350 speed tier, etc. Water Shuriken fucks up Talonflame. Nightslash if you predict a switch into Aegislash. Rock Slide for Zard Y/Dnite. Greninja's base attack is barely lower than his Sp atk, but has an equally awesome movepool and imo is much more useable.

There is a lot of pokes that can do that role better than Furfrou and the set is inferior to Furfrous other sets. The main thing(s) i dislike on your set is the Life Orb and the EV spread, lefties is pretty mych always the best item on Furfrou and maybe 252 HP 252 ATT instead of investing 252 EV's in speed so you make it a bulky offensive poke instead? :S Dunno, just throwing out my opinion.
If you're attempting to hit anything for any amount of useful damage off 80 attack, you're gonna need a boosting item. It doesn't have 2 120 BP STABs to run like Talonflame.

One I used for a while...

Ambipom @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Technician
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4HP, 252Atk, 252 Spe
- Fake Out
- Return
- Taunt
- U-Turn

A fairly standard set aside from taunt. I used to use this all the time. Can be used as a far more effective anti-lead than a more standard set and can keep rocks off the field for the first few turns while you switch into a mon that can do some shenanigans, via U-Turn. A silk scarf F/O-Return combo is enough to 2HKO many unresisted recipients. You'll be surprised.

This set is a prime choice for gaining momentum. It can also shut down many Will-O attempts, many Baton Passers and is, in general, a royal nuisance in a variety of situations.

A simple move change can transform this guy into a really annoying threat. All it takes is the right player to abuse it!

Choice Band Greninja

Greninja @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Night Slash
- Rock Slide
- Water Shuriken

He kinda becomes the poor man's Genesect, but very effective nonetheless (good in Ubers too). Outspeeds all dragons, Lati twins, 350 speed tier, etc. Water Shuriken fucks up Talonflame. Nightslash if you predict a switch into Aegislash. Rock Slide for Zard Y/Dnite. Greninja's base attack is barely lower than his Sp atk, but has an equally awesome movepool and imo is much more useable.
Always seemed a tad gimmicky to me given that, in the vast majority of situations, Greninja is totally outclassed in anything it tries to do physically. Its special protean sets are what really set it apart.

Choiced Greninja is also very lacklustre. I have used a specs set to SOME degree of success in the past but throwing away its versatility is just too big a tradeoff when it's been gifted with an ability such as Protean. Its LO / EBelt sets are just too good to consider anything else bar offensive utility.

Is this underrated, or WHAT?

Nidoking - 81/102/77/85/77/85

Nidoking
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Speed
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast/Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave/Thunderbolt

Most people focus on nidoking's solid attack stat, with it's megahorn + EQ combo. It did get a buff this gen in that stat. I don't use that stat, I actually use a special set, with it's OK 85 Sp.Atk. Nidoking's special ability, sheer force, boosts the power of moves with secondary affects by 33%. Combined with these moves, it can wreck shit. Combined with Life Orb, it gets the life orb boost, but does not lose HP, which is simply amazing. Nidoking can't use this on a physical set because Megahorn/EQ don't have secondary affects, and poison jab is weak as it is. Thoughts?

EDIT: Damage Calcs to come.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 229-273 (63.6 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 216-255 (55.9 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Blastoise: 208-247 (57.4 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Tentacruel: 283-338 (77.7 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 221-265 (68.2 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
A great set but with the rise of fairies, this set has actually become his standard (in UU especially). It's a lot rarer to see his physical sets these days. Pretty sure this was the case in Gen V as well.

Either way, Nidoking is sick and deserves far more usage in OU, whether in a sticky web team or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gengar @ Focus Sash/Leftovers
EV's: 4HP/252 Speed/252 Special Attack
Timid Nature

-Taunt
-Destiny Bond
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Bomb

This set is meant to surprise people and force uncomfortable decisions. Not many people expect destiny bond on gengar and even fewer expect a taunt. Taunt usually completely stops the skarm-bliss core. If you reveal destiny bomb to early or you don't get knocked out, then your opponent can either not attack in fear of dying from destiny bomb and take a stab hit or switch out and let another pokemon take a hit.

Focus Sash can be used to survive a hit, but it may give away that you have destiny bond so leftovers can be used to bluff that you are running this set.

A great set but with the rise of fairies, this set has actually become his standard (in UU especially). It's a lot rarer to see his physical sets these days. Pretty sure this was the case in Gen V as well.

Either way, Nidoking is sick and deserves far more usage in OU, whether in a sticky web team or not.
I'm yet to face a physical Nidoking this generation.

Ikr? It isn't bad though. I used one in UU a while ago and it maims many a special wall.
It got a decent boost in attack this generation so I'm surprised why people prefer special attacking Nidoking over the physical one. It gets awesome stabs in Earthquake and Poison Jab.

I should breed one and try it out.

It got a decent boost in attack this generation so I'm surprised why people prefer special attacking Nidoking over the physical one. It gets awesome stabs in Earthquake and Poison Jab.

I should breed one and try it out.
People prefer special Nidoking because it gets incredible coverage (Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast) to abuse with Sheer Force. Also, with Sheer Force factored in, Earth Power does far more damage than Earthquake.

People prefer special Nidoking because it gets incredible coverage (Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast) to abuse with Sheer Force. Also, with Sheer Force factored in, Earth Power does far more damage than Earthquake.
Forgot about Sheer Force, yeah with Sheer Force I can see why a special attack Nidoking would be used.

Don't forget about his powerful Physical Moves with Sheer Force though. Poison Jab, Brick Break, Iron Tail, Aqua Tail, Fire/Ice/Thunder Punch(es). He has the coverage he needs, just most are genned egg moves.

252 Atk Life Orb Nidoking Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 179-212 (44.3 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoking Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mew: 140-165 (34.6 - 40.8%) -- 56.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Earthquake definately has better power, but Bulldoze doesnt take Life Orb recoil. I would still use EQ though.

An odd set but great fun to use:

Liepard @ Choice Band
Ability: Limber
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- U-Turn

Sounds a little gimmicky at first but this can work a treat and can really catch your opponent by surprise. Base 88 Attack is low, sure, but it reaches a somewhat respectable number when banded. The trick to this set is abusing the fact that most people expect you to use a Prankster status move. Espeon is ALWAYS OHKOd if it tries to switch in for an MBounce (Look at the damage below...). Sableye also has a good chance to be OHKOd after a taunt attempt. Here are some calcs... Obviously nothing game defining, but some are impressive nonetheless.

252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Espeon: 356-422 (106.5 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 284-336 (93.4 - 110.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 208-246 (51.4 - 60.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 236-278 (57 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 236-278 (56.1 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 118-139 (33.3 - 39.2%) -- 97.8% chance to 4HKO (This is actually a big one as Gliscor often switches in to take a TWave. This leads to a lost Toxic Orb fairly frequently).
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 302-356 (78.6 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 149-176 (50.8 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 120-142 (40.9 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 133-157 (34.8 - 41%) -- 68.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (Good damage even after the Intimidate).
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 126-148 (41.4 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 244-288 (81.3 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trevenant: 458-540 (122.4 - 144.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Trevenant: 378-446 (101 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Liepard Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 259-306 (83 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

These calcs are pretty impressive when you consider that many of the Pokemon listed are common threats or switch-ins to Liepard. I've used this set to degrees of success in OU and urge people to give it a try. Can work a treat as a VoltTurn partner!

I'm assuming this isn't a common set since I couldn't find it by searching, I very possibly may be wrong
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

x1.33 Focus Punch is nice, and 2 STABs gives it nice coverage

I'm assuming this isn't a common set since I couldn't find it by searching, I very possibly may be wrong
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

Looks good, but I'm not sure why the ability is Justified. Plus DDance is usually better, but I guess subpunch is unexpected.

Although not OU I've been using this thing for a while and it does quite well removing certain Pokemon from my opponents side.

Jumpluff @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 36 HP, 40 Def, 180 SpD, 252 Spe (probably a better way to do this but I want to give it as low HP as possible for Leech seed while still taking hits well)
Jolly Nature
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Bounce
-Infestation

Subseed is Obvious. Infestation to trap; and deal additional damage while Bounce is for a free turn to avoid damage if I'm below 25% as well as damage and the 30% paralysis chance. I've come across times just Bounce and Infestation alone saved me from losing certain matchups. Has trouble against Grass types that don't mind Bounce however. Wish I had one of my replays of this thing working.

Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw

I really don't see the point of this set. Between Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw, you're already 2HKOing a large proportion of the metagame at worst. The only things Focus Punch will help you beat more easily are Heatran and Tyranitar, but having the power to break through them is rather meaningless when you're not using Mega Charizard X to sweep. Substitute isn't even that great of an option as MegaZard's HP is already put under pressure by the recoil from Flare Blitz. Honestly you're better off sticking with Dragon Dance + Earthquake or Brick Break if you want to reliably beat Heatran/Tyranitar.

Now that Steel-types no longer resist Dark and Ghost, I've been thinking about using a Specially-Defensive Hydreigon. Looking at its stats, it actually has a decent amount of bulk great, resistances (Water, Grass, Fire, Electric, Dark, and Ghost and an immunity to Ground), and reliable recovery in Roost to make it a possibility.

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Levitate
Calm 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
-Roost
-Fire Blast
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse

I'm thinking that the move set could be tweaked a bit, and you could even take out some SpD EVs for more SpA or some Speed.
Some calcs
4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 424-504 (109.5 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 352-420 (90.9 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 312-372 (80.6 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 304-364 (78.5 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 258-306 (66.6 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hydreigon deals only about 20% damage to the Fairys and 40% damage to Volcarona. It's not a special wall or usable as a wall.

Some calcs
4 SpA Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 424-504 (109.5 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Florges Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 352-420 (90.9 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 312-372 (80.6 - 96.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 304-364 (78.5 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Hydreigon: 258-306 (66.6 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hydreigon deals only about 20% damage to the Fairys and 40% damage to Volcarona. It's not a special wall or usable as a wall.
So don't switch it into Pokemon with super effective STABs? Seriously, with this logic every defensive Pokemon is utter garbage.

So don't switch it into Pokemon with super effective STABs? Seriously, with this logic every defensive Pokemon is utter garbage.
No, you can defeat one 'mon but when they have a fairy, they switch into it. And a special wall is not good for me when it must switch out on every fairy 'mon...

They can easily switch in taking ~20% damage and forcing you out.

Not sure how common it is but I've been using:
Weavile Focus sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 hp
Jolly Nature
Knock Off
Ice Punch
Ice Shard
Taunt

Basically offensive and utility at the same time, Knock off and Taunt fuck with so many things. Makes a good lead to either cripple a switch-in or taunt something trying to setup

No, you can defeat one 'mon but when they have a fairy, they switch into it. And a special wall is not good for me when it must switch out on every fairy 'mon...

They can easily switch in taking ~20% damage and forcing you out.
The same can be said about any Fire Pokemon vs Ferrothorn, or any Special Attacker vs Skarmory, or any Physical Fighting-Type vs Blissey, etc.

on another note, I found something interesting.

So, since people are using Defiant Bisharp as a "Defog Punisher" of sorts, I kind of applied that logic to any Pokemon that has the ability Competitive or Defiant. Obviously there's Defiant Thundurus-I (which idk if anyone posted a physical Defiant Thundurus yet, but it's super possible, especially with its awesome physical move pool), but I also notice that Milotic has Competitive as its secondary ability, and it can also make use of the boosts with a decent base 100 atk. Not to mention that most Defogers don't like tanking Special hits, or are weak to the Ice coverage that Milotic carries, you have a pretty effective "Fog Blocker".

Milotic @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Competitive
Modest / Timid
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power Electric
-Surf / Dragon Pulse / Recover / Toxic

FurryGah: The problem with competitive milotic is that without the boost offensive milotic is laughably outclassed by other OU mons. Bisharp doesn't have that problem because of his unique typing and moveset.

I've been really struggling to find a choice scarf user I really like. Lando-T is a great one, but I was getting tired of falling back on him. Two of the biggest issues scarf users face right now is the prevalence of high powered priority and the general bulkiness of sweepers, who often refuse to be so easily answered by a frail scarfer. While I'm not sure how much the following set answers the second problem, it provides a nice solution to the first. Here it is:

Cloyster@Choice Scarf
Ability:Skill Link
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 Def Jolly (If you don't care about outspeeding greninja go for adamant. The power boost is really nice for things like kyurem-B)
-Icicle Spear
-Rock Blast
-Razor Shell
-Ice Shard

There are two main reasons I picked cloyster as a scarfer: high powered ice stab and awesome physical bulk. This guy can survive a mixed sub Kyurem B's fusion bolt with no investment. His physical bulk and typing allows him to shrug off all of the priority seeing use right now at least once (without lucarionite, vacuum wave is nonexistent and this guy can even take an LO breloom mach punch). Next, a 125 BP ice stab is just great in any meta since the dawn of dragons and is maintaining its power through the age of flying types. By using choice scarf I try to utilize it in a way that I find more beneficial than as a sweeping move. There are too many good steel types around for me to feel comfortable sweeping with this guy. The surprise factor of his scarf often lets me get the first revenge for free, without worrying about switches to pesky steels. Rock Blast is a really nice high powered coverage move to have, espeically for kyurem-B behind a sub, but for the most part it's icicle spear you'll be clicking. Razor Shell is used even less, but it comes in handy every now and then and makes sure fewer things wall him completely (waves fist at heatran). The fourth slot is mostly filler but I like ice shard for it's ability to let me take out dragonite/salamence after multiple dd's with rocks up. It can also be useful for getting a weak Thundurus-I if you really want to avoid thunderwave, although the only time you'd have to worry about thunderwave over thunderbolt before you've revealed your set is if cloyster has no damage on him and they are fearful of a sash smash. Which actually brings me to a pretty interesting point I've found in playing with scarf cloyster. Letting your opponent have rocks up before you reveal cloyster's set can be very useful. A damaged cloyster is automatically less dangerous to the opponent because it can't rely on sash and manage a kill or two. With rocks damage cloyster looks like a sitting duck to a lot of pokemon it destroys with a scarf. It's a balancing act though. If you need cloyster to come in multiple times it's better to get rid of the rocks, but I've nabbed so many kills because of the rocks damage making me look useless. Because of that I get the kill instead of the opponent switching to their cloyster counter/check. Once you've revealed the set I'd say it's in your best interest to remove rocks, but before then they can come in handy. A 76% closyter is still hardy enough to take on a lot of mons through priority.

This is definitely not the end all be all of scarfers. Cloyster has a number of weaknesses most notably being his relative slowness as a scarfer. I rely on other team members for checking speed boosting sweepers on the team I'm using him so this has not proven to be as much of a problem. This guy is used to prey on non boosting offensive mons and the general weakness the meta has to fast ice stab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)