Pokémon Diancie

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll probably be a B-rank "useful but gimmicky otherwise" Pokemon. Which for me means, make a gimmicky set if I can and spam it on wifi. Have fun, random people on the PSS.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Pretty interesting to see we've got the scoop on Diancie already, although it's pretty disappointing to see that all Gamefreak did was slap +50 to Carbink's offenses and call it a day. It has a nice signature move, and as a defensive mon with garbage speed you can run a -Spe nature and use both STABs decently.

The lack of a reliable recovery move is the big problem here, but it could still be a decent SR setter or TR support mon, and it has a great niche of hard-countering Talon and checking both Zards decently. A rest-talk set similar to CroCune sounds nice because Moonblast is amazing on a mono-attacker... but dat 4x Steel weakness. Worse, Diance can't threaten Steel-types at all (no Focus Miss, no EQ or even Bulldoze despite knowing Knock Down) meaning it's total bait for Bisharp/Scizor to come in and SD on it, etc. Aegis switches in easily, and Excadrill will love this thing, coming in to spin its rocks for free and KO with EQ/Iron head.

This thing screams Weakness Policy to me. Usable offenses at +2 with good STABs and great defenses with enough common weaknesses to make it a good item choice.

Diancie@Weakness Policy
Clear Body
Brave/Quiet/Sassy/Relaxed 252 HP / etc.
~ Diamond Storm
~ Moon Blast
~ Rest/Trick Room
~ Sleep Talk/Gyro Ball/HP Fire/Explosion
I really like this idea. It plays to Diancie's strengths... it has the bulk to pull it off, crap speed for TR, and decent mixed offenses (especially if you can nab the boost)! Explosion is just icing on the cake.

It looks like Diancie will have a few solid niches, but plenty of awful matchups against top threats, so I'm curious to see how it will fit into the metagame.

Just wanted to point something out, heatran (one of the better defensive Pokemon in the game) has a 4 times weakness to ground type moves (which are more popular than steel type moves), and 2 times weaknesses to water and fighting (also very common). Heatran's offensive presence and move pool are much better than diancie's, but its defensive stats are worse and its 4x weakness is easier to exploit. While I don't honestly believe that diancie will be an OU Pokemon, I don't understand the NU doom and gloom talk. Diancie is a fairly reliable check to most fire and flying types and sports a few nifty resistances to dark and bug type attacks. Paired with something like ferrothorn, diancie could make a solid OU core and would likely be the premier UU wall if it does in fact drop (which I fully expect it to do).
It still is not much if any better than Rhyperior, Golem and Regirock, the latter two being NU.

It still is not much if any better than Rhyperior, Golem and Regirock, the latter two being NU.
Defensively it's better than any of those three, since it actually has special bulk. Rypherior is good and Regirock is not terrible but Golem just sucks, Diancie is not even comparable to it.

It's not going to NU or even RU. Rock/Fairy is a pretty good typing, it'll be able to counter both Staraptor and Talonflame, and with a Balloon it can counter Mega Pinsir too. That's half of your average birdspam team. And if Diancie becomes prevalent enough such that Talonflame starts packing Steel Wing, that would just mean Diancie had an impact on OU.

Defensively it's better than any of those three, since it actually has special bulk. Rypherior is good and Regirock is not terrible but Golem just sucks, Diancie is not even comparable to it.

It's not going to NU or even RU. Rock/Fairy is a pretty good typing, it'll be able to counter both Staraptor and Talonflame, and with a Balloon it can counter Mega Pinsir too. That's half of your average birdspam team. And if Diancie becomes prevalent enough such that Talonflame starts packing Steel Wing, that would just mean Diancie had an impact on OU.
Regirock can counter Staraptor and Mega-Pinsir too even without Balloon.

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 136-160 (37.3 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regirock: 136-160 (37.3 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Solid Rock Rhyperior is in a similar vein, capable of avoiding 2HKO's from both.
Golem cannot avoid the 2HKO, but Golem has Sucker Punch and still defeats most birds, and is actually more similar to Diancie in that it can check the very same Dragons, utilizing Rock Blast (Screw Multiscale) and Sucker Punch to do so. Unlike Diancie, however, Golem is not helpless against Steels and can actually check most of them.

Rhyperior is in a similar vein with the very same typing as Golem, but lacks Sucker Punch and Sturdy but has Solid Rock, Megahorn and Aqua Tail instead.

"There's no reason to use Sylveon when Florges exists."
"Mega Pinsir will probably be a good sweeper in UU."
"Mega Kangaskhan looks pretty decent."

People have been pretty shitty with tiering predictions this gen. You can only look so far into base stats, typing and movepool. Until I can actually use it I'll withhold judgement, but yeah Gamefreak has pulled some stupid shit if this is its entire movepool. NOT EVEN POWER GEM.

What it has over Rhyperior and Regirock is much better special bulk and fairy typing, which gives some handy resistances.

(In the future can we leave ignorant and inflammatory remarks out of a ou discussion thread, kthx)
it was a joke. calm down.

Sighhh... Why does this thing have to be seemingly quite underwhelming? I mean, it's not so bad as that I don't think it'll be a niche threat [but who knows, after all, "Talonflame will be a UU oddity" and "Mega Pinsir is shit"] - but it doesn't even have Power Gem, let alone some cool attacks like elemental beams [justified by the gems making them?]

Still, I'm really hoping for some great tutors in the next games. Play Rough and Recover lgi?

DUN UNDERESTIMATE
forget to change alts? :toast:

Another Trick Room user is definitely a welcome addition, as so many of them are weak to Dark (think Reuniclus, Cofagrigus, Xatu, Victini and now even Bronzong). I think Diancie will fit in well as a TR supporter with Stealth Rock, not to mention that Fairy is a great type both offensively and defensively. Good stuff, definitely gonna pick up TR again when we can use this.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Man, I was so excited to run CM on this thing and it seemed like the least shitty of the three event mons (based purely on typing). I guess this can completely replace Carbink in whatever people decided to use it for since it has those nice defenses with its array of utility moves but I would consider running Aromatisse over this if you're not using rocks. This thing can't even check Dragon types since a good portion run EQ, Surf, or Earth Power in Hydreigon's case; with a bunch of common weaknesses including a crippling 4x Steel weakness (UU is littered with Bisharp, Metagross, and Aggron) and bulky Waters galore, those good defenses suddenly aren't that great.

I don't understand what goes into Gamefreak's head when they keep releasing slow, defensive Pokemon with no healing save for Rest and Leftovers. No fucking clue. It's a reason why the meta has gotten to be so offense-oriented the past few generations; things are hitting harder, defensive mons can't stand up to it because they don't get any reliable heals.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/pokemon/diancie/

It's from the official website. skip to pic 8
Wow, that certainly is promising. I just hope that's not Diamond Storm, as they'd look way too similar!

Man, I was so excited to run CM on this thing and it seemed like the least shitty of the three event mons (based purely on typing). I guess this can completely replace Carbink in whatever people decided to use it for since it has those nice defenses with its array of utility moves but I would consider running Aromatisse over this if you're not using rocks. This thing can't even check Dragon types since a good portion run EQ, Surf, or Earth Power in Hydreigon's case; with a bunch of common weaknesses including a crippling 4x Steel weakness (UU is littered with Bisharp, Metagross, and Aggron) and bulky Waters galore, those good defenses suddenly aren't that great.

I don't understand what goes into Gamefreak's head when they keep releasing slow, defensive Pokemon with no healing save for Rest and Leftovers. No fucking clue. It's a reason why the meta has gotten to be so offense-oriented.
Crocune is a good defensive pokemon with only rest. However, I'm not sure mono-attacking is what Diancie should do. I think mixed sets with HP investment are the way to go, as Diamond Storm is hard to pass up, with or without Power Gem.

Also, just a note, Bisharp is OU, not UU, so if Diancie ends up in UU it won't have to worry about it there.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Crocune is a good defensive pokemon with only rest. However, I'm not sure mono-attacking is what Diancie should do. I think mixed sets with HP investment are the way to go, as Diamond Storm is hard to pass up, with or without Power Gem.

Also, just a note, Bisharp is OU, not UU, so if Diancie ends up in UU it won't have to worry about it there.
Suicune is not slow. Base 85 speed is actually quite fast for a Pokemon of its caliber. CM patches up for the still relative rarity of good physical Grass or Electric types (or things that use those moves) so its weaknesses are much less easily exploited, not to mention Scald to make physical Pokemon think twice about switching in. The two simply cannot be compared.

And woops, I failed at looking at usage stats. Still, that doesn't change that it is a crippling weakness.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah at first glance Diancie doesn't look like the greatest thing ever. I remember hearing rumors about it getting Recover, and I was so excited because it would have been an amazing tank that could take on common Pokemon such as the Mega Charizards, Latios and Latias, Mega Pinsir, and Talonflame, but without reliable recover, Diancie isn't going to be walling anything. Such a shame, but it even has Stealth Rock, which would have made it a very reliable SR setter that had the ability to beat the common Defoggers without having to worry about being worn down so easily. Luckily for Diancie Genesect and Mega Lucario are no longer around, but Scizor, Bisharp, Aegislash, Landorus, Excadrill, Azumarill and Garchomp are becoming more and more common as the metagame develops, and I only listed a few Pokemon that threaten Diancie, all of which are extremely common Pokemon in OU. While it does have some cool resistances and a Dragon-type immunity, it has so many exploitable weaknesses that it's almost hard to count. Being weak to Ground-, Water-, Grass, and 4x weak to Steel-type moves on top of having no reliable recovery, shit HP, average offenses, and a pretty limited offensive movepool in general, Diancie just doesn't look like it's going to fare so well in the OU environment. It just looks like so many Pokemon put an insane amount of pressure on it, and even with its high defenses, it doesn't help that Diancie is slower than pretty much every offensive Pokemon in the metagame. If it were to have recovery, its Speed wouldn't be much of an issue, but even with the ability to use Trick Room, it's just not strong enough to threaten most of the metagame, and if it truly doesn't get Power Gem, it's always going to have to go mixed in order to abuse both of its STAB moves, which makes it even weaker.

All in all, Diancie doesn't look too amazing offensively or defensively, at least in OU. However, not everything is probably known about it, and I hate theorymoning before actually seeing it in action, but it's not looking too good for the upgraded Carbink so far. It seems certainly less niche than Carbink, but on paper it still looks underwhelming overall.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
I think they're going to only give Diancie Play Rough, Power Gem, Geomancy and Oblivion Wing through the movie event, then people who actually recieved it from the event get good moves while the ones that where hacked just get a shallow mixed set.
Also, has anyone noticed that Diancie can hit any pokemon for normal damage? (Psyshock + Moonblast hits everything exept Pyroar, which is hit SR by Diamond Storm.)

EDIT: Oops, i was thinking of a coverage with ghost, not psychic, Ghost+Fairy hits everything 'cept Pyroar

Last edited:
I think they're going to only give Diancie Play Rough, Power Gem, Geomancy and Oblivion Wing through the movie event, then people who actually recieved it from the event get good moves while the ones that where hacked just get a shallow mixed set.
Also, has anyone noticed that Diancie can hit any pokemon for normal damage? (Psyshock + Moonblast hits everything exept Pyroar, which is hit SR by Diamond Storm.)

Umm, Psyshock hits Pyroar, but it doesn't hit Steel-types and a few Fire-types.

......Which one of those moves hits Steel Types for Neutral damage?

EDIT: Beat...ah well.

"There's no reason to use Sylveon when Florges exists."
"Mega Pinsir will probably be a good sweeper in UU."
"Mega Kangaskhan looks pretty decent."

People have been pretty shitty with tiering predictions this gen. You can only look so far into base stats, typing and movepool. Until I can actually use it I'll withhold judgement, but yeah Gamefreak has pulled some stupid shit if this is its entire movepool. NOT EVEN POWER GEM.

What it has over Rhyperior and Regirock is much better special bulk and fairy typing, which gives some handy resistances.
Just to point out, 80/100 and 50/150 aren't really all that different.
252 SpA Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Carbink: 106-126 (34.8 - 41.4%) -- 68.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Alakazam Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Regirock: 151-178 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I mean, rock's still outclassed in that respect but I wouldn't say "much better"

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This thing will be an excellent Trick Room supporter / sweeper. All it needs is a moveset with Trick Room and three of Moonblast, signature Rock move, Explosion, and SR to be effective. As for items, all of Leftovers, Life Orb, and Weakness Policy seem as excellent options. Leftovers works best with SR and allows Diancie to act as a reliable Talonflame check, which is great for dedicated TR teams, as they struggle a lot with this thing, while LO and Weakness Policy work best with three attacks. If people try to KO Diance with moves other than Steel attacks, then Weakness Policy has some serious potential on a TR set, and what's even better is the chance to raise your Defense with the singature Rock move, so not even priority is a problem, unless it's Bullet Punch.

Other than that, Diancie seems really bad, mostly due to lack of reliable recovery and a way to hurt Steel-types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)