Pokémon Cloyster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

Cloyster

Base Stats: 50 / 95 / 180 / 85 / 45 / 70
Abilities:
Shell Armor: Opponent’s moves cannot Critical Hit.
Skill Link: Moves that attack 2-5 times always hit 5 times.
Overcoat (HA): Immune to residual weather damage and powder moves.
Notable Movepool:
Icicle Spear
Hydro Pump
Spikes
Rapid Spin
Toxic Spikes
Substitute
Rock Blast
Shell Smash
Razor Shell
Explosion
Ice Shard

The biggest reason why anyone would consider using Cloyster for an offensive team is all because of one move. The thing is, Shell Smash is one heck of a move. Boosting every offensive stat by +2 for the small price of a -1 in both defenses is a bargain anyone would take if it means sweeping whole teams. He also has highly powerful moves in STAB Icicle Spear and Rock Blast, both guaranteed to have 125 BP because of it's ability, Skill Link. His base 180 Defense also helps in finding set-up chances. However, he's very frail in the special side, meaning even weak Special moves can dent it heavily. Also consider that he has weaknesses to Electric, Fighting, Rock, and Grass, the former two extremely common. While unboosted, he is quite slow and quite underwhelming in terms of power. However, give it the right support, and surely he would be an asset to any team.

Possible Sets
Shell Smash

Cloyster @ Life Orb / White Herb / King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Naughty / Adamant
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump / Razor Shell

This is probably the most common set anyone would find on a Cloyster. The basic strategy is to set-up Shell Smash then sweep if possible. Life Orb is the preferred item, providing Cloyster some wanted power. White Herb is usable if the defense reduction is not desired, though it's one-time use. King's Rock lets Cloyster have a 41% flinch chance for every hit, though it is unreliable. Icicle Spear is the move to spam, as it is basically a 125 BP move NOT factoring STAB. Rock Blast provides coverage, hitting Talonflame, Volcarona, Charizard forms, and Gyarados. The last slot is up to preference; Hydro Pump is there to hit physically defensive mons that may come in on Cloyster such as Skarmory, Scizor, and Aegislash. On the other hand, Razor Shell blasts through Heatran, which usually runs SpDef investment. Ice Shard can find it's uses when in want for priority, though the extra coverage is always better. It is recommended to use Naughty when running Hydro Pump; otherwise Adamant is preferred.

However, our oyster friend does have its problems. For one, if it doesn't run Hydro Pump, it usually has a hard time getting past through Defensive behemoths Skarmory and Scizor. Aegislash and Ferrothorn also stop it completely; they can shrug of most of Cloyster's hits and KO back with a Shadow Ball or Power Whip respectively. Priority can pick him off during a sweep, as having a lowered Defense stat (and a weakness to Mach Punch) shortens his staying power. Stealth Rocks also pose a problem to him, limiting his lifespan. Most notable of all is his very exploitable SpDef stat. All it takes is a simple gust to fold him. However, give him the support he needs, and he will surely prove its worth.

Personal Opinion:
I used him in the past, and I have to say he is quite usable. He can easily pressure teams by just showing him in Team Preview. However, I did find it somewhat difficult to set-up safely since he has somewhat low HP paired with a weak SpDef (his Def is nice). However, give him the chance, and he will go play hard. I recommend everyone to try him ;0

That's all, discuss.
(Pardon if there's already a thread. I did make sure by searching it manually and by using the engine. PM me if there's a problem.)

Last edited:
How the hell does this guy not already have a thread? :x

-Focus Sash is a very viable option on the Shell Smash set
-Ice shard is also very viable on the Shell Smash set for stuff like Breloom and scarfchomp
-Lum berry seems like a decent option on the Shell Smash set
-A hazard control set is worth noting but I don't think it's as good as last gen because there's no Custap Berry
-Explosion might be viable on the Shell Smash set to get past bulky waters

How the hell does this guy not already have a thread? :x

-Focus Sash is a very viable option on the Shell Smash set
-Ice shard is also very viable on the Shell Smash set for stuff like Breloom and scarfchomp
-Lum berry seems like a decent option on the Shell Smash set
-A hazard control set is worth noting but I don't think it's as good as last gen because there's no Custap Berry
-Explosion might be viable on the Shell Smash set to get past bulky waters
i'm thinking it's mainly as cloyster, hasn't changed much in the gen shift and with new bulkier powerful threats, cloyster has a harder time than ever sweeping with ss

Last edited:

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Very underrated pokemon in my opinion.
I strongly believe Ice Shard should be used over Hydro Pump/Razor Shell because it lets you outspeed and KO things like Breloom and Talonflame before they can move.
Icicle Spear is so strong that it can 2HKO most steel-types anyway (it even 2HKO's Aegislash-Shield with LO).

The offensive support Cloyster is really nice, having an offensive presence and supporting the team at the same time:

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rapid Spin / Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Spikes/ Toxic Spikes

Basically you set up spikes, or Shell Smash, and hopefully kill a pokemon or two with Icicle Spear/ Rock Blast. Which set do you think is the best for Cloyster?
Mixing Focus Sash and Rapid Spin is just silly; if you switch in on hazards to spin you'll break your Sash. If you're using Sash, you need a different spinner to help protect it, and in that case Cloyster should be aiming to only come out at the very end once it can get a clean sweep.

Cloyster is a good shell smasher and all, but one thing that urks me about some people who use cloyster is not using a water stab in general. I Know ice shard is priority and all, but in all honesty why would I sacrifice coverage just to beat specific threats that aren't even that common in this metagame anymore (breloom)? Razor shell is a good way to get past various steel types that otherwise could take a hit and kill you, if you add rain support, you could easily get past aegislash and other steels such as mawile.

Also, in my opinon this is the best cloyster shell smash set.

Cloyster @ Liechi berry
ability: Skill link
Evs: 4 hp / 252 attack / 252 speed
adamant nature
- shell smash
- razor shell
- icicle spear
- natural gift

After +2, a natural gift can ohko specially defensive rotom-w as well as doing at least 86% to physically defensive rotom-w; with a little prior damage, you can take out the physically defensive one as well. Ice and water as an offensive stab combination does damage to a lot of things, where rock blast provides little to no additional coverage. Beating out most waters who are traditionally your checks is a pro for this set.

Cloyster is a good shell smasher and all, but one thing that urks me about some people who use cloyster is not using a water stab in general. I Know ice shard is priority and all, but in all honesty why would I sacrifice coverage just to beat specific threats that aren't even that common in this metagame anymore (breloom)? Razor shell is a good way to get past various steel types that otherwise could take a hit and kill you, if you add rain support, you could easily get past aegislash and other steels such as mawile.

Also, in my opinon this is the best cloyster shell smash set.

Cloyster @ Liechi berry
ability: Skill link
Evs: 4 hp / 252 attack / 252 speed
adamant nature
- shell smash
- razor shell
- icicle spear
- natural gift

After +2, a natural gift can ohko specially defensive rotom-w as well as doing at least 86% to physically defensive rotom-w; with a little prior damage, you can take out the physically defensive one as well. Ice and water as an offensive stab combination does damage to a lot of things, where rock blast provides little to no additional coverage. Beating out most waters who are traditionally your checks is a pro for this set.

Except you lose your item, which is no good, and you're using it for a specific Pokemon that is 2HKO'ed by Rock Blast. Also, Cloyster doesn't learn Natural Gift...

And Rock Blast gains coverage on Fire-, Ice-, and hits other things neutrally, like Water-types. It is a very important move.

Except you lose your item, which is no good, and you're using it for a specific Pokemon that is 2HKO'ed by Rock Blast. Also, Cloyster doesn't learn Natural Gift...

And Rock Blast gains coverage on Fire-, Ice-, and hits other things neutrally, like Water-types. It is a very important move.
Cloyster learns natural gift through a 4th gen tutor, as with most pokemon that learn it 4th generation and back.

and it really doesn't matter if it loses its item, thats basically the same situation as if you used a white herb or something. at +2 it still has a lot of power to ohko the threats it needs to ohko, while some getting eliminated through residual damage. you don't need rock blast because you already have water STAB. It basically covers fire as well as other rock and ground types. The ice types in OU often have a secondary stab that you can exploit with your water stab, which includes mamoswine. Why not have a one time grass coverage move to eliminate your best counter immediately in one shot (almost) than bank on a 2hko with a move that isn't even supereffective or stab. Its also great against things like keldeo and jellicent.

Cloyster learns natural gift through a 4th gen tutor, as with most pokemon that learn it 4th generation and back.

and it really doesn't matter if it loses its item, thats basically the same situation as if you used a white herb or something. at +2 it still has a lot of power to ohko the threats it needs to ohko, while some getting eliminated through residual damage. you don't need rock blast because you already have water STAB. It basically covers fire as well as other rock and ground types. The ice types in OU often have a secondary stab that you can exploit with your water stab, which includes mamoswine. Why not have a one time grass coverage move to eliminate your best counter immediately in one shot (almost) than bank on a 2hko with a move that isn't even supereffective or stab. Its also great against things like keldeo and jellicent.

Nonono, the item thing is an issue, you should always run NM-I / LO / LB, or else it's a waste really. You don't need a Water STAB though.

There's a lot of priority to be afraid of, but unfortunately aside from Pinsir and Talonflame a bunch of the users resist Ice anyway... If Cloyster doesn't have the HP to take a weak hit because of say Focus Sash, it's not going to get past stuff like Aegislash no matter what.

Nonono, the item thing is an issue, you should always run NM-I / LO / LB, or else it's a waste really. You don't need a Water STAB though.
So you are telling me that I should get walled by heatran of all things. At least razor shell/ hydro pump gives me a fighting chance against steels.

So you are telling me that I should get walled by heatran of all things. At least razor shell/ hydro pump gives me a fighting chance against steels.

This is true, or you could just switch. After you've set up a SS doesn't mean you can't switch, you still can. It has that gargantuan Defense, giving to times to set up. I just feel like Ice Shard / SS / Icicle Spear / Rock Blast is best.

Quite honestly Cloyster sweeps at lower ratings but is pretty ineffective when you get a bit higher up.

It also didn't really get anything new this gen, and has problems with new threats like Aegislash and in general the meta got bulkier.

This is true, or you could just switch. After you've set up a SS doesn't mean you can't switch, you still can. It has that gargantuan Defense, giving to times to set up. I just feel like Ice Shard / SS / Icicle Spear / Rock Blast is best.
...well now that I think about it, a life orb cloyster set doesn't have anything else to run, so rock blast is okay I guess, and with life orb and rain it almost kills aegislash. The natural gift set is still good though. You are right though that I can just switch, but then again cloyster has a limited window of oppurtunity to set up, so....

I still stand by the fact that one, cloyster needs a water stab regardless of what set it runs because really what do you need ice shard for? What priority user dies to ice shard other than breloom? Mega absol? I know talonflame doesn't die to ice shard. Conkeldurr is too fat, and infernape resists ice.

Cloyster was able to get away with not running a Water-type move last gen, but stuff like Aegislash, Mega Mawile, etc etc.. kinda throw a wrench in that. SS / Icicle Spear / Rock Blast / Ice Shard works okay, but there needs to be a much larger priority removing Steel-types if this is the set it runs.

I believe cloyster is still decent at the worst. A major advantage going into cloyster favor is the ability is its ability to check talonflame if they havent got a sword dance up. But its mostly outclassed by rotom-w in that regard. And i agree with ice shard being pointless. Cloyster would rather run razor shell giving it more coverage.

I think it's worth mentioning that Magnezone can't trap Aegislash anymore.

This definately makes it difficult in dealing with aegislash, and will probably force cloyster out even if cloyster carries razor shell.

+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 153-180 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And thats at after a shell smash. Now if we look at aegislash.

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 144-170 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So even with razor shell cloyster isnt getting past aegislash, and if you predict the kings shield and shell smash and is also for some strange reason you are carrying both ice shard and razor shell you still arent able to ko and are ko by shadow sneak if you attempt anything else.

This definately makes it difficult in dealing with aegislash, and will probably force cloyster out even if cloyster carries razor shell.

+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 153-180 (47.2 - 55.5%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And thats at after a shell smash. Now if we look at aegislash.

252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 144-170 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So even with razor shell cloyster isnt getting past aegislash, and if you predict the kings shield and shell smash and is also for some strange reason you are carrying both ice shard and razor shell you still arent able to ko and are ko by shadow sneak if you attempt anything else.
I really think cloyster should carry life orb or mystic water, that way it can get the 2hko it needs to get on aegislash, but thats just me.

+2 252+ Atk Mystic Water Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 183-216 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 199-234 (61.4 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

regardless, you still have to play king shield games.

I really think cloyster should carry life orb or mystic water, that way it can get the 2hko it needs to get on aegislash, but thats just me.

+2 252+ Atk Mystic Water Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 183-216 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 199-234 (61.4 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

regardless, you still have to play king shield games.
You're still beaten by sacred sword followed by shadow sneak.

You're still beaten by sacred sword followed by shadow sneak.
yeah I know, I meant when it was weakened or something.

edit :Wait a minute, sacred sword ignores defense boosts/drops, so if sacred sword does 59-70%
and shadow sneak does 30-35% (calculated it), that means you can be left with a little bit of hp and still finish whats left of the team. You really only have a 20% chance of dying assuming full health.

yeah I know, I meant when it was weakened or something.
Oh, ok being able to kill a weakened aegislash is a big gain making it harder for it to check, but unless you run both ice shard and razor shell (I see little reason to.) aegislash will beat you if its at 68 percent or higher. Aegislash is also a mon you don't want to be fighting with because razor shell makes contact meaning you could lose your shell smash boost for your attack stat.

Oh, ok being able to kill a weakened aegislash is a big gain making it harder for it to check, but unless you run both ice shard and razor shell (I see little reason to.) aegislash will beat you if its at 68 percent or higher. Aegislash is also a mon you don't want to be fighting with because razor shell makes contact meaning you could lose your shell smash boost for your attack stat.
One of these days I might run drizzletoed with cloyster, just to be sure I could kill him.

One of these days I might run drizzletoed with cloyster, just to be sure I could kill him.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Cloyster Razor Shell vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield in Rain: 298-351 (91.9 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Take that aegislash! Its 6.3 percent chance to ohko with mystic water.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Aegislash is just going to troll Cloyster with King's Shield if you attempt to use Razor Shell on it.
It's best to go for the 2HKO with Icicle Spear and leave that moveslot for Ice Shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)