The Everything NFL Thread - 2013-2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man what I wouldn't give to see Clowney go to the Lions. They already have the best DT in the game(Suh>McCoy, atkins) and Ansah is already a bigger freak than Clowney. The worse player in that line is seriously a top 13 player at his position. Just sell your future Lions and trade up for Clowney. It needs to happen. Give football fans what they want. A dl with 4 players who have the talent to be the best at their respective positions. They're so close. This is the closest any team will ever get so please do it!

Even if that did happen, and even with the greatest DL ever assembled, with the best WR in the game, a great RB and a very good QB and I still can't see the Lions winning 8 games :(

Adding, what the fuck is up with the Niner's brass? Pay Harbaugh whatever he wants ffs, even if he didn't win a Super Bowl yet, you're telling me 3 championship games and 1 SB appearance isn't enough to give him top coach money compared to the years of lameness before? He's gonna be cheap compared to whatever you're probably about to overspend on Kaepernick, and let's not forget Harbaugh is part of the reason why he's as good as he is; he could easily have turned out to be Terell Pryor instead. And what about making Alex Smith into the elite manager he is over the loser he was before?

Tldr; pay the man, don't play hardball with the first good coach the Niners have had in a long while, that's just disrespecting what he's accomplished. Especially if those ridiculous Browns rumors are true.

Kaepernick wants more than Cutler's $18mil...fml. If he won those last 2 Super Bowls, I would say gladly pay him. But the fact is he didn't, he's largely been carried by a great team whenever he struggles (which happened quite a bit this season), and honestly as a Niners fan, even I don't think he's worth that much yet, he's lacking still. I'd give him no more than $15mil/year honestly, and even I think that's top dollar relative to what he's shown so far. And the sad part is, the Niners will eventually bite for that, but won't bother paying Harbaugh what he's worth.

QB salaries will largely be a non-issue if the cap is going to raise as much as it did this year every year. With expected increases of $8 million a year the next two years, QBs won't have to take up 15% of their team's cap room.

Of course, drastically increasing the cap will drastically increase player salary, but with the NFL being as profitable as it is it's not really an issue. More market money = more competitors = higher FA prices. Rookies who were drafted after the wage scale was implemented will be seeking huge raises as well. It'll be a nice experiment to see if the "More Money = More Problems" theorem is legitimate.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't think the QB salary spike will be as big an issue as it's being made out to be even if the salary cap wasn't increasing at the rate it is. Overpaying for any position is a long-term disaster, and teams are going to realize that having a mediocre "franchise quarterback" taking up $18 million of their cap space is not a way to win titles. When the Ravens signed Flacco to an $Ass-Million/second contract, they had to release players like Anquan Boldin. Boldin had possibly the most underrated season by any player this year (easily one of the best wideouts in the game), while Flacco turned into an interception machine gun. The Ravens faltered as a result. The Cowboys paid Romo ass-million dollars and even though Romo performed pretty well last season, their defense collapsed and its going to get worse before it gets better. The Lions extended Stafford to a three-year, $more-money-then-everyone-in-this-thread-will-ever-see-in-their-lives contract and Stafford imploded. The Lions are going to take some cap casualties (Burleson, Delmas) as a result.

The point is, the teams giving superstar money to B-level or barely-elite quarterbacks aren't winning. If the Bears lock up 2014's Alex Rodriguez Idiotic Sports Contract of the Year Award with Cutler and they don't perform, it's going to send shockwaves to other GMs that although a franchise quarterback is pretty necessary to win in the NFL, it's not nearly enough.

It's no longer an issue, but over the last decade QB salaries were inflating faster much than the salary cap was rising. As bad as Bleacher Report is, this article has the numbers to back it up. As a tl;dr, the top 10 QBs cost an average of ~3% more of the salary cap in 2013 vs 2006, and ~4% more in 2013 vs 2000.

Again, it probably won't be an issue, but the risk of letting a guy like Flacco or Cutler go is too high for management/coaches to seriously consider doing. You're obviously right, spending a large amount of money on one position lowers your competitive ability to secure good players at other positions, and generally weakens teams as a whole (unless they are very, very good at drafting), but when the alternative could be "shitty quarterback -> shitty season -> 1st round QB -> QB bust -> cycle continues until coach/GM get fired (or possibly longer)" you can see why teams WANT to pay Flacco and Cutler tons of cash.

Not 100% sure how the salary cap is calculated, as it's not just a "profit/32" kind of thing, but I'm guessing the league got together and noticed the issues these super-contracts were having or could have on the bottom half of the league. It's not good for veterans if they have to get cut to pay these contracts, and it's not good for the sport either.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
The Cowboys defense has been ass for quite a while now and has nothing to do with Romo's contract, which is far more deserved than someone like Flacco's (or even Eli's). Actually, they've just been decimated by injury the past couple years when they've finally been even capable of stepping up. Not sure if that's a staff/conditioning problem or simply bad luck but whatever.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Apparently Steve Smith is set to be released tomorrow. I wanna cry so badly rn :( someone comfort me.

Apparently Steve Smith is set to be released tomorrow. I wanna cry so badly rn :( someone comfort me.
Great competitor and fun to watch, but I can't say I'm sad to see him out of the division :^)

Free agency has officially begun, a few big names have been signed but no real superstars. Demarcus Ware was released (no surprise there), DE Michael Johnson to Tampa for ~44/5 year deal, DE Lamarr Houston to Chicago for $35/5, Bucs looking to trade or releases Revis (Raiders/Browns are most interested), and LT Brandon Albert to Miami for 46/5.

It's gonna be a "boring" free agency period because of the relative lack of superstar players or great offensive players, but there's plenty of talent on the market. How's your team doing?

fuckin' Cowboys, this Ware release is probably basically still the fault of the league iirc (league immorally screwed the Cowboys & Redskins for 2 years on the cap for its own reckless mistakes)

Stone_Cold, I can offer no words of comfort other than that maybe teammate-on-teammate violence will be reduced. Other than that, Steve Smith is always going to be one of the greatest Panthers :(

Niners trade for Gabbert? #whatthefuck!?

...I really don't get the point of this unless they want to lose if Kaepernick goes down. I wouldn't give up any draft pick for that bum, hell I'd rather resign Colt McCoy over Gabbert.

Dunno if this reeks of Baalke or Harbaugh; if Baalke, well I never liked him much anyways and I hope he gets shown the door sooner than later since he's mostly building off past GM's picks, and if its Harbaugh, maybe he is more nuts than I thought.

Calm down, teams like 49ers don't care about QBs. Talk to me in 4 years. Out of the signings that killah mentioned, the Bucs payed too much while the Bears got a very good deal. Lamarr was the best Houston in the afc west. I just want Nicks to sign with the Panthers already. Or the Broncos. I want to see 2011 Playoffs Nicks again.

And now the Niners trade for Jonathan Martin? Why bring that guy and his distractions to the team? Not to demean him or his situation (both he and Incognito have dungs for brains as far as I'm concerned), but what's next, Niners sign his buddy Incognito as well?

Eh all I can say is this is a relatively perplexing offseason compared to most so far. Besides the safety they signed to replace Whitner and keeping Boldin, the trades for Gabbert and Martin are just dumb, considering they could've packaged draft picks to move up if they really want to fill those positions.

Ok, ok i'm trying to stay calm.. but this is too exciting! Talib and t.j ward to the broncos!!! And Ware hopefully signing as well. Signing the best OLB(and one of my favorite players) of the last couple years would be the cherry on top. Yes, he's been mediocre the past year and a half, but it's the injuries i tell you. He'd be a huge ass upgrade over phillips(who has always been way underrated) and if he can play at an all time great level just one more time, my love for him will become everlasting. With the addition of Von Miller, the Broncos defense might actually be good enough. Either way i'm definitely rooting for the nicest guy in the league and hopefully he gets a ring wherever he lands. I'm also not going to predict a blow out every game this year. Sure, the Broncos are already lock in as a wild card minimum and are the best team in the AFC by a large margin but they're playing the damn NFC West. So we can't expect blowouts every game :( i'm also starting to believe Peyton might not drop 50 TDs this year fuck my life and this garbage world :(

Considering Talib's off the field issues, that's a lot of money...hopefully he'll keep his nose clean in Denver as well. Broncos are definitely making a big push since Manning is basically year to year now.

And now the Niners trade for Jonathan Martin? Why bring that guy and his distractions to the team? Not to demean him or his situation (both he and Incognito have dungs for brains as far as I'm concerned), but what's next, Niners sign his buddy Incognito as well?

Eh all I can say is this is a relatively perplexing offseason compared to most so far. Besides the safety they signed to replace Whitner and keeping Boldin, the trades for Gabbert and Martin are just dumb, considering they could've packaged draft picks to move up if they really want to fill those positions.
not really, the Martin trade was for a conditional 2015 7th rounder (so a 50% chance it's nothing, 50% chance it's almost nothing) and a 6th round pick isn't exactly much value. when a team has as much talent as the 49ers do, anyone drafted that late is unlikely to make the roster anyway, so what's the harm in trading for guys you think might be undervalued and able to make the roster? if it works, you've got a new player for practically nothing, and if it doesn't, they'll be forgotten by the middle of training camp. It's Jonathan Martin, not Tim Tebow.

Jairus fucking Byrd

And with the up-and-coming Vaccaro...
now that's a scary thought :(

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
another year, another free agency period where i slowly rock back and forth trying to comfort myself with the mantra "in bill we trust"

its not helping

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hey guys

the Super Bowl winners have historically been low-key players in free agency and rarely have had splashy off-season signings, if anything they bring in complementary pieces to supplement strong homegrown talent

so, you know, take it easy

Rashad Jennings to the Giants is a good move i think.

i really like what Caldwell is doing so far. no flashy pick ups, just good players signed to reasonable contracts.

Red Bryant
Zach Beadles
Toby Gerhardt
6th rounder (plus a conditional 2015) for Gabbert
re-signed Will Blackmon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)