Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to give you guys an update on the Latios / Ferrothorn / Tentacruel core I posted some pages back. If you want to read the synopsis of the core, I'd go back and find it, otherwise, I'm just going to post the updated sets.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Iron Barbs
Relaxed 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
0 Spe IVs
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate
Calm 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
-Healing Wish (New!)
-Defog
-Recover (New!)
-Dragon Pulse

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
Liquid Ooze
Bold 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
-Knock Off
-Giga Drain (New!)
-Scald
-Sludge Bomb

Healing Wish was added on for sweeper support. Since I dropped Wish all together, I felt Latias needed reliable recovery, thus Recover. Tentacruel had Rapid Spin, which was redundant with Defog on Latias and it also needed some form of recovery now that Latias wasn't passinh Wishes, which is where Giga Drain comes in.

I've been running a very similar Rotom-W / Landorus-T core, but without AV on Landorus-T. How do you think the vest helps and/or hurts him? I might want to try it out.
Where do I begin? xD

First off, I'm assuming you're running a choice item. The main advantage that assault vest lando-t gets over choice scarf or band lando-t is the ability to switch moves *without running leftovers*; this is extremely helpful both for easing prediction and for gaining an advantage later in the match.

Lando-T is a great choice abuser, and so this is what most people expect. When they see it doesn't gain any health back to leftovers, people generally assume you a) have no bulk investment (true in our case) and b) assume that Lando-T is choiced. By bluffing choice through a significant portion of the battle, you can gain the upper hand both by threatening a revenge kill (you can switch in and force out, say, Latios that's fearing your scarf U-Turn while not actually being able to outspeed it if you've done this well; this also stops your opponent from setting up when he/she knows the "scarf" Lando-T can revenge kill their pokemon) while also being able to hit the opponent (say, their dragonite that comes in after you "lock in" to earthquake) with a powerful move when they think you're choiced.

The added bulk isn't the main feature, but it's a definite plus over the added damage that expert belt would afford; you can survive a Rotom-W hydro pump if need be, and easily take weak hidden power ices from the likes of mega-manetric or jolteon (lol). Most non-stab surfs are quite easy to stomach, and even some non-stab ice moves fail to KO. However, it's important to remember to play the bluff well, because if you show off that you're not choiced in the first couple turns (unless it's to nab a crucial KO... then go for it and win), you're almost always worse off with assault vest than choice or support. However, if you can play the bluff well, you can essentially have both this Lando and the benefits of a scarf lando on your team.

EDIT:
I didn't say this in there, but you'll never be able to bluff band (unless they're really stupid lol), because it'll be completely obvious from the damage calc on your first U-Turn.

Hey I'm new to Smogon and the metagame (my cousin got me into the meta finally), and I'm trying to make a good core. I feel I'm trying to hard so I got on here and figured I could ask for some help. I'm wanting to make a weather team based Mega Scizor, and I'm wanting to do weather so either sandstorm or rain. In the rain I was thinking something like Scizor Rotom-W Azumarril, and the sand I was thinking Scizor Tyranitar. I don't need Scizor in the team I just really like him.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey I'm new to Smogon and the metagame (my cousin got me into the meta finally), and I'm trying to make a good core. I feel I'm trying to hard so I got on here and figured I could ask for some help. I'm wanting to make a weather team based Mega Scizor, and I'm wanting to do weather so either sandstorm or rain. In the rain I was thinking something like Scizor Rotom-W Azumarril, and the sand I was thinking Scizor Tyranitar. I don't need Scizor in the team I just really like him.
If used on a weather team, Scizor generally prefers rain, due to it turning his 4x fire weakness into a 2x one. The best way to set up rain is defensive Politoed, so it is definitely essential, imo. Scizor hates Skarmory with a passion, so any rain catered special attack fits well. I'd recommend recommend Thundurus-I, as it can abuse Thunder in the rain, which hits Skarmory super effectively. A physical Water Type is the final teammate in this potential core, so Azumarill would make a great choice. Gyarados and Crawdaunt are always good too.

Rotom-W has always been an amazing partner for Scizor, having great synergy and forming an annoying VoltTurn core. Rotom-W's Hydro Pump is also boosted by rain, and has a 100% accurate Thunder, despite the weather nerf.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
kinda surprised not to see this core itt:

Deoxys-D @ Red Card
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 244 Atk / 252 SAtk / 12 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword / Iron Head
- King's Shield / Pursuit

This is the premier hyper offense core in the metagame at the moment. It's referred to as the hazards core, and for good reason. Deoxys-D is an exceptional hazard stacker, outclassing Deoxys-S with the same sort of set in every aspect. The consistency with which it sets up hazards and disastrous effects of the hazards support offensive Pokemon like nothing else. The other two Pokemon in the core aim to preserve these hazards. Swords Dance Bisharp is one of the most threatening sweepers in OU, boasting two excellent STABs that include Knock Off and Sucker Punch priority. It also gets the ability Defiant, which allows it to pseudo-block Defog in posing a ridiculous threat with the +2 from Defog that allows it to utterly annihilate if the opponent goes for a Defog. This pressures opponents not to Defog and thus maintains your hazards, or you get Bisharp destroying. It's a win/win. Aegislash is the spinblocker of the core. It's running the standard CRUMBLER set, but with an Air Balloon. Air Balloon Aegislash is the best HO spinblocker in the game; it makes switching into Exca relatively safe, which is something non-Balloon Aegi and Gengar would die for. There are some options depending on what exactly you want for your Aegi.

This core's effect on the metagame is very apparent in that it is the backbone of so many hyper offense teams and makes hazard stacking a much more viable strategy. I know I'm not saying anything creative by posting this, but the thread is 'Good Cores', and this is a great core.

Deoxys-D @ Red Card
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak

This is the premier hyper offense core in the metagame at the moment. It's referred to as the hazards core, and for good reason. Deoxys-D is an exceptional hazard stacker, outclassing Deoxys-S with the same sort of set in every aspect. The consistency with which it sets up hazards and disastrous effects of the hazards support offensive Pokemon like nothing else. The other two Pokemon in the core aim to preserve these hazards. Swords Dance Bisharp is one of the most threatening sweepers in OU, boasting two excellent STABs that include Knock Off and Sucker Punch priority. It also gets the ability Defiant, which allows it to pseudo-block Defog in posing a ridiculous threat with the +2 from Defog that allows it to utterly annihilate if the opponent goes for a Defog. This pressures opponents not to Defog and thus maintains your hazards, or you get Bisharp destroying. It's a win/win. Aegislash is the spinblocker of the core. It's running the standard CRUMBLER set, but with an Air Balloon. Air Balloon Aegislash is the best HO spinblocker in the game; it makes switching into Exca relatively safe, which is something non-Balloon Aegi and Gengar would die for. There are some options depending on what exactly you want for your Aegi.

This core's effect on the metagame is very apparent in that it is the backbone of so many hyper offense teams and makes hazard stacking a much more viable strategy. I know I'm not saying anything creative by posting this, but the thread is 'Good Cores', and this is a great core.
As far as synergy goes, this core somewhat suffers from opposing Aegislash and Fire-types, seeing as Deoxys doesn't want to switch in to repeated Fire Blasts / Flare Blitz attacks. Though, I will say that Bisharp in general can check those if it's already in thanks to Sucker Punch and Defiant. Not to mention, this is Hyper Offensive, and not the usual stall shenanigans I play. I'd still think the Hydreigon + Aegislash core is still good both offensively and defensively, as each can switch in on most of their checks and counters, (Barring Greninja) and can break through plenty of defensive cores with ease.

Hi, fairly new here. One thing that seems confusing to me is how to make a good offensive core. On one hand I see people posting offensive cores that cover very different threats, with the logic that between the two you can cover a wide range pokemon. On the other hand, I see people posting cores that cover the same threats, with the logic that the first pokemon weakens the check, and the following one finishes it off and is free to sweep now that the check is dead. So which one is it? Do you go for a core that covers a range of threats or one that focuses on busting down one kind of check? Or are both okay and useful for different reasons/situations?

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi, fairly new here. One thing that seems confusing to me is how to make a good offensive core. On one hand I see people posting offensive cores that cover very different threats, with the logic that between the two you can cover a wide range pokemon. On the other hand, I see people posting cores that cover the same threats, with the logic that the first pokemon weakens the check, and the following one finishes it off and is free to sweep now that the check is dead. So which one is it? Do you go for a core that covers a range of threats or one that focuses on busting down one kind of check? Or are both okay and useful for different reasons/situations?
Both are good for different reasons. For offensive types with very few resistances, stacking STAB users can be very good. For example, Starapter can be used to severely dent checks and counters to Talonflame and Pinsir, Talonflame can revenge kill, and the Pinsir can clean up the mess and sweep the opponent's team. Flying is a great offensive typing this gen, and so strategies like this work well. Fairy is another type that works like this.

Other types, on the other hand, need support to be used effectively. The vast majority of teams use A fire/water/grass core offensive core, so if your team is mono fire, you will get walled by the opponent's water type. A grass type should be added to this team, as they can damage water types. And now, no one can damage opposing fire types, so a water types is very useful.

As far as synergy goes, this core somewhat suffers from opposing Aegislash and Fire-types, seeing as Deoxys doesn't want to switch in to repeated Fire Blasts / Flare Blitz attacks. Though, I will say that Bisharp in general can check those if it's already in thanks to Sucker Punch and Defiant. Not to mention, this is Hyper Offensive, and not the usual stall shenanigans I play. I'd still think the Hydreigon + Aegislash core is still good both offensively and defensively, as each can switch in on most of their checks and counters, (Barring Greninja) and can break through plenty of defensive cores with ease.
As a stall player, you're not really thinking in the HO mindset; HO doesn't aim to survive many attacks because the members are not really intended to be bulky, they are intended to a shittonne of damage and to overwhelm the opposition so the enemy folds to their extremely powerful attacks. They seek to end the game as quickly as possible and employ brute force to do so - thus, offensive synergy matters way more than defensive synergy, as the aim of an HO team is to take as few hits on its own side as possible, while dishing out massive damage to the other team.

As a stall player, you're not really thinking in the HO mindset; HO doesn't aim to survive many attacks because the members are not really intended to be bulky, they are intended to a shittonne of damage and to overwhelm the opposition so the enemy folds to their extremely powerful attacks. They seek to end the game as quickly as possible and employ brute force to do so - thus, offensive synergy matters way more than defensive synergy, as the aim of an HO team is to take as few hits on its own side as possible, while dishing out massive damage to the other team.
Ah, I'm starting to get your meaning. So, I assume that Mega Pinsir and Thundurus-I would make a good HO core together because Pinsir's STAB Return can break through most special walls like Blissey and Mega Venusaur, while Thundurus can deal with the likes of Slowbro, Skarmory, and Rotom-W, correct?
EDIT: Thundurus-I can also heavily abuse Prankster Thunder Wave, which allows it to cripple Greninja, who'd otherwise be able to slaughter this core, as well as many other faster threats like Talonflame.

Last edited:
Alright everyone, the title probably has you wondering what the hell my thought process was behind this, and WELL I will elaborate. Mega Ampharos is, in my opinion, a very good pokemon that sees much too little usage. It's excellent defensive qualities, impressive special attack, slow speed, access to heal bell, and godly hair make it an ideal volt-switch support pivot. Mega Amph's weaknesses lie in Ice, Dragon, Fairy, and Ground. Now what on earth resists ALL FOUR of those? Tadaaaaaa: BRONZONG. Levitate Bronzong is only weak to Ghost, Dark, and Fire. Mega Amph heavily resists fire thanks to its typing and bulk, and Dark and Ghost type moves are not incredibly common, but Ampharos's bulk is good enough to handle most of those without a problem at all. The synergy between these two is not perfect but it is nonetheless very good. Here's the set I've been running:

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 SAtk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Heal Bell

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SDef / 220 Def
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

As you can see, I've gone with both of them being as slow as possible; Ampharos to maximize its usefulness as a pivot and Bronzong to get the most out of Gyro Ball, as well as having access to Trick Room which turns Mega Amph into a special-sweeping beast. They can both tank most of each other's weaknesses quite well, and Bronzong can deal with the fairies that threaten Amph while Amphabulous's Focus Blast helps deal with many of the Darks (such as Bisharp) that threaten Bronzong.

Overall, the core works well; while not perfect, it can hold its own against many threats.

WEAKNESSES: Mold Breaker Excadrill, Mold Breaker Haxorus. Actually, anything with access to Earthquake and Mold Breaker; unless Bronzong can get a Trick Room set up without being KO'd first, then this two are long gone. ALSO, I think it's worth mentioning that this core can be very, very difficult to find a place on a lot of teams. Wish Support is usually greatly appreciated, and Sylveon fills this role pretty well. This is my biggest problem, actually; finding good team members for this core is nightmarish.

ANYWAY. Thoughts/opinions on the core would be greatly appreciated, and PLEASE offer all the suggestions you have, especially team options. Thanks everyone, cheers.

Alright everyone, the title probably has you wondering what the hell my thought process was behind this, and WELL I will elaborate. Mega Ampharos is, in my opinion, a very good pokemon that sees much too little usage. It's excellent defensive qualities, impressive special attack, slow speed, access to heal bell, and godly hair make it an ideal volt-switch support pivot. Mega Amph's weaknesses lie in Ice, Dragon, Fairy, and Ground. Now what on earth resists ALL FOUR of those? Tadaaaaaa: BRONZONG. Levitate Bronzong is only weak to Ghost, Dark, and Fire. Mega Amph heavily resists fire thanks to its typing and bulk, and Dark and Ghost type moves are not incredibly common, but Ampharos's bulk is good enough to handle most of those without a problem at all. The synergy between these two is not perfect but it is nonetheless very good. Here's the set I've been running:

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 SAtk
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Heal Bell

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 36 SDef / 220 Def
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Trick Room

As you can see, I've gone with both of them being as slow as possible; Ampharos to maximize its usefulness as a pivot and Bronzong to get the most out of Gyro Ball, as well as having access to Trick Room which turns Mega Amph into a special-sweeping beast. They can both tank most of each other's weaknesses quite well, and Bronzong can deal with the fairies that threaten Amph while Amphabulous's Focus Blast helps deal with many of the Darks (such as Bisharp) that threaten Bronzong.

Overall, the core works well; while not perfect, it can hold its own against many threats.

WEAKNESSES: Mold Breaker Excadrill, Mold Breaker Haxorus. Actually, anything with access to Earthquake and Mold Breaker; unless Bronzong can get a Trick Room set up without being KO'd first, then this two are long gone. ALSO, I think it's worth mentioning that this core can be very, very difficult to find a place on a lot of teams. Wish Support is usually greatly appreciated, and Sylveon fills this role pretty well. This is my biggest problem, actually; finding good team members for this core is nightmarish.

ANYWAY. Thoughts/opinions on the core would be greatly appreciated, and PLEASE offer all the suggestions you have, especially team options. Thanks everyone, cheers.
I actually brought up an identical core a few pages back. Anyways, you're forgetting to mention Greninja, as it can come in and Dark Pulse Bronzong and Ice Beam Ampharos. Granted, Bronzong might be able to OHKO with Gyro Ball. Regardless, this core would be a terror to face in UU. Umbreon can switch in against Ghost and Dark-types and provide Wish support, but then a Fighting-type could break through the core, so Florges is also an option.

I actually brought up an identical core a few pages back. Anyways, you're forgetting to mention Greninja, as it can come in and Dark Pulse Bronzong and Ice Beam Ampharos. Granted, Bronzong might be able to OHKO with Gyro Ball. Regardless, this core would be a terror to face in UU. Umbreon can switch in against Ghost and Dark-types and provide Wish support, but then a Fighting-type could break through the core, so Florges is also an option.
Oooh, right about that. Hm. Anyway yes, I've only recently started UU and I'm not much good yet, but these two usually hold their own pretty well. I'll try an Umbreon

You know what two Pokemon work terrifyingly well together? Mega Ampharos and Bronzong. Ampharos has four weaknesses, Ground, Dragon, Ice, and Fairy. Bronzong, thanks to Levitate, can wall all four of those types. Meanwhile, Bronzong's weakness to Fire is covered by Ampharos. I can see powerful Ghosts breaking through this core, so Dark-types like Tyranitar and Mandibuzz are useful.
Great minds think alike, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great minds think alike, eh?
Well, this was just derping around in OU about 2 months ago.
EDIT: Anyways, back on topic, I saw some guy on YouTube using this UU core for a Pokemon Showdown session, and it actually looks incredibly sturdy. I'd post this in the UU thread if it wasn't locked. Anyways, without further adieu, ladies and gentlemen, ChesPoleon.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield
- Hammer Arm / Seed Bombn

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

These two should be used much more often in UU in my opinion. The two of them resist all of each other's weaknesses barring Chesnaught's weakness to Fire and Empoleon's weakness to Fighting. This does mean that Hawlucha is prone to breaking through this core easily, but then again, what can't that Bird break through? (*Cough* Aegislash *Cough*) There are Pokemon hanging around UU that can deal with those two types fairly easily, such as Slowbro and Latias, but with all of these hazards and Defog to get rid of its Stealth Rock weakness, I consider Victini the best partner here.

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt / Brick Break

Standard Choice Band Victini, standard F/W/G core, it's pretty standard. Victini resists Fighting and Fire and can break through many walls like Chansey for example. Zen Headbutt is listed as an option as there are few instances where Brick Break hits something harder than V-create, maybe Hydreigon or Houndoom. There's also another partner that works well, Chandelure!

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick / Hidden Power Fighting

Chandelure has identical weaknesses to Victini, but with Flash Fire, Chandelure is immune to both Fire and Fighting, giving it even better synergy with Empoelon and Chesnaught. I know, this post is lengthy, but there is really no other place to post this.

Last edited:

Deoxys-D @ Red Card
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak

Could I see a replay or something of this core? As i see it, if you run into a team with a spinner, Bisharp's part of the core is removed, and it would seem to lose effectiveness. If they run a defogger, wouldn't Aegi be less useful? I just would like to see this core in action, can't really understand it's effectiveness.

Could I see a replay or something of this core? As i see it, if you run into a team with a spinner, Bisharp's part of the core is removed, and it would seem to lose effectiveness. If they run a defogger, wouldn't Aegi be less useful? I just would like to see this core in action, can't really understand it's effectiveness.
The point is that Bisharp and Aegislash are both really strong pokemon, and Deoxys-D can easily set up tons of hazards. So you set up your hazards, and then Bisharp stops Defoggers and Aegislash stops spinners. Aegislash can't stop defoggers, Bisharp can't stop spinners, Deoxys can't stop either but can protect the other 2. They cover eachother's weaknesses while still being great pokemon, that's what a "core" is all about.

The point is that Bisharp and Aegislash are both really strong pokemon, and Deoxys-D can easily set up tons of hazards. So you set up your hazards, and then Bisharp stops Defoggers and Aegislash stops spinners. Aegislash can't stop defoggers, Bisharp can't stop spinners, Deoxys can't stop either but can protect the other 2. They cover eachother's weaknesses while still being great pokemon, that's what a "core" is all about.
I realize how it works in theory; however, I can never seem to execute the strategy properly. I have tried it, but just can't seem to make it work.

One utility core that I have been using to great effect is my custom TTT core consisting of Tornadus Therian, Tangrowth, and Tentacruel.
Together they rapid spin, spread status, taunt, leech seed, both fantastic special and physical bulk, and rip apart common defensive cores with mixed Tornadus.

socahtoagrowth (Tangrowth) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
Underrated right now. Insane physical bulk and a Rotom-W demolishing Leaf Storm.

Eleventacruel (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 80 SAtk / 252 HP / 140 SDef / 36 Spd
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin
- Protect
Custom EV spread to outspeed and 2HKO Gliscor. My favorite rapid spinner right now because of its good bulk and typing.

BIRDTACOFLY (Tornadus-Therian) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Hurricane
- Taunt
Ridiculously strong pivot that kills blissey, conkeldurr, and mega venusaur. Tauns leads and set up sweepers.

This core has some hard times with mamoswine and does not like to do any heavy offensive lifting but rather it is the good "back end" for an offensive team or a second defensive core for a balanced/bulky team.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow tag
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Trick

Mega Tyranitar is an awesome sweeper, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its fair share of obstacles. While it resists some of the strongest priority moves out there, it is still weak to a fair few, namely Mach Punch Conkeldurr, Aqua Jet Azumarill, and Bullet Punch Scizor. Ice Punch lets MegaTar bypass Ground-types such as Gliscor and Landorus-T, but it can still be stopped by the likes of Hippowdon, Skarmory, Keldeo, Chesnaught, and physically defensive Ferrothorn / Mega Venusaur. Gothitelle can trap and pick them all off.

- Specs gives Goth the best OHKOing potential, which is crucial for Goth to trap more than one target and because Goth really does not want to take additional damage.
- Psyshock lets Gothitelle OHKO Assault Vest Conkeldurr, making it crucial; it also deals with Calm Mind Keldeo and Chansey as well.
- Psychic is an option if Chesnaught and physically defensive Mega Venusaur present the bigger threats, but Psyshock is usually enough to deal with them anyway since they cannot damage Goth very quickly enough.
- The second move of choice is mainly to remove Azumarill, but Energy Ball catches Hippowdon and stings opposing Tyranitar & Rotom-W, while Thunderbolt all but ensures Skarmory's demise even if it survives via Sturdy and phases Goth.
- Hidden Power Fire takes out Scizor / Mega Scizor and hurts Ferrothorn; a lot of speed (maximum if you so wish) is needed to ensure the former does not smack Goth with U-turn first, and thankfully Scizors are not known to run much speed, Mega Scizor even less so.
- Trick is the final ace in the hole, locking the opponent into a singular attack which can let Tyranitar set up with ease, whether it be Lati@s's Draco Meteor, Mandibuzz's Foul Play, Aegislash's Shadow Ball or an opposing Tyranitar's Crunch (does not work against Mega Tar!). Trick also lets Gothitelle screw over such walls as Chansey, Suicune, and Clefable, with Shadow Tag preventing their escape.

Last edited:

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Trait: Shadow tag
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spd
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Trick

Mega Tyranitar is an awesome sweeper, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its fair share of obstacles. While it resists some of the strongest priority moves out there, it is still weak to a fair few, namely Mach Punch Conkeldurr, Aqua Jet Azumarill, and Bullet Punch Scizor. Ice Punch lets MegaTar bypass Ground-types such as Gliscor and Landorus-T, but it can still be stopped by the likes of Hippowdon, Skarmory, Keldeo, Chesnaught, and physically defensive Ferrothorn / Mega Venusaur. Gothitelle can trap and pick them all off.

- Specs gives Goth the best OHKOing potential, which is crucial for Goth to trap more than one target and because goth really does not want to take additional damage.
- Psyshock lets Gothitelle OHKO Assault Vest Conkeldurr, making it crucial; it also deals with Calm Mind Keldeo and Chansey as well.
- Psychic is an option if Chesnaught and physically defensive Mega Venusaur present the bigger threats, but Psyshock is usually enough to deal with them anyway since they cannot damage Goth very quickly enough.
- The second move of choice is mainly to remove Azumarill, but Energy Ball catches Hippowdon and stings opposing Tyranitar & Rotom-W, while Thunderbolt all but ensures Skarmory's demise even if it survives via Sturdy and phases Goth.
- Hidden Power Fire takes out Scizor / Mega Scizor and hurts Ferrothorn; a lot of speed (maximum if you so wish) is needed to ensure the former does not smack Goth with U-turn first, and thankfully Scizors are not known to run much speed, Mega Scizor even less so.
- Trick is the final ace in the hole, locking the opponent into a singular attack which can let Tyranitar set up with ease, whether it be Lati@s's Draco Meteor, Mandibuzz's Foul Play, Aegislash's Shadow Ball or an opposing Tyranitar's Crunch (does not work against Mega Tar!). Trick also lets Gothitelle screw over such walls as Chansey, Suicune, and Clefable, with Shadow Tag preventing their escape.
I'm sure you meant for Gothitelle's EVs to be 252 SpA and not 252 Atk?

I don't know it if was already mentioned but Hydreigon and Aegislash do an excellent offensive and defensive core.
The only move that even hits both for even neutral damage is Mold Breaker Ground Typ moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)