Which Anime Would make the best Hollywood Movie?

Any anime over 26 episodes (I'd even go so far as to say over 13) would utterly fail as a movie, even with a trilogy.

I think Detroit Metal City would make a great adult film since so much of the humor is very American-ish because of it's vulgarity but it would still retain some of that crazy Japanese flavor that would keep it fresh for new audiences. (By the way if you haven't watched this anime watch it it's seriously the funniest anime I've ever watched.)

Cowboy Bebop "should" be easy and would be awesome. I think a proper Gundam movie would be sweet as well, though given the lack of homeland success from recent mech offerings like Pacific Rim, maybe not that broadly appealing...

Pretty much most things that aren't "over the top" and more towards realism would likely succeed the best given constraints of budget and general appeal. Heck poor Avatar (TLA) was dumbed down and casted so wrongly, no wonder it bombed.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Voting for Death Note as a great combination of detective novel and horror thriller. The interplay between Light and L, and then Light and Near is fascinating, especially because later on they have direct interaction - and then there's Light's entire gambit to kill L by de-powering and then re-powering himself (Spoilers I guess).

The series really needs to have a more directed plot. Bleach has so many things to do that it would make a terrible movie. You couldn't even do, say, the Arrancar Arc because you have literally 10 people that have to be killed off in a fight scene, even if you cut out the psuedos in Hueco Mundo.

Contrast Death Note, which has a definite plot device, specific and important high points, deliberate shifts and ploys in the plot, and an ending which exploits the weaknesses inherent to the plot driver (the Death Note).

Another good one (I am serious): Bobobo-Bo-Bo-Bobo. This one would actually end up creepier than Death Note for all the zany crap that goes on, but its such an in-joke laden fun-fest with a ridiculous twist ending that, pulled off properly, it would be epic.

Finally, Big O would also work marvelously because so much of the important material is already consensed in a short amount of time, and the entire "Stage within a Stage" concept would fit the film genre very well.

Clannad, because the emotions within the anime not to mention the length of the series if you combine it with after story. I would also like the scenery in which they would use.

seconding Death Note as it's one of very few animes that:
  1. is short enough to be adapted into a single movie (ruling out bleach, naruto, OP, fairy tail, etc if you're adamant on making just one movie and not several dozen)
  2. would be plausible to adapt into a live action film without looking incredibly fake / tacky / over-CGI'd, ruling out MOST mecha animes and to some extent SNK as well (although i've seen the workings of the SNK movie and the CGI is actually very impressive)
  3. has a compelling plot that would appeal to more "traditional" western audiences (ruling out ouran and others like it)
  4. isn't so specific that it would likely only draw one target audience (ruling out a lot of sports-specific series like eyeshield or kuroko)
the plot in death note is superb and it could potentially be done as one movie with everything fit in or two movies, with the first one stopping after L's death (or you could stop the series at L's death and change the ending a bit, maybe even make it ambiguous)

something else that may just work as a live-action hollywood film is Bakuman, although if you're going to completely Westernize it then idk how you'd translate the mangaka dynamic over to the US - though if you leave it as is, it may not be too successful over here

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But... there already IS a Death Note movie; and I honestly doubt Hollywood can do it better (even though the Japanese movie is also pretty meh).

The point of this thread was to point out series that would be awesome as movies, that probably are not do-able in Japan live action. Something like Rurouni Kenshin or Hikaru no Go is far better off as a Japanese production for instance.

I'd say the same for Death Note.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Honestly...I just don't see many shounen translating well to live action hollywood...

I'll admit by Hollywood I am assuming you mean done by American actors and actually live action.

But lol...most shounen is way too cheesy to be taken even remotely seriously when acted out irl, especially in English by American actors...

Comedy I think would translate poorly as well since so much of Japanese anime humor is cultural.

My best guess for a shounen style would be some futuristic / sci fi-ish series focusing more on strategy and inner thought that fighitng...maybe something like Legend of Galactic Heroes (thinking mostly of Battlestar Galactica's success)

If not shounen then probably some dark, seinen psychological thriller.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have no idea why Attack of Titans hasn't been suggested yet. The setting is European so Hollywood shouldn't have any casting problems bar mikasa, maybe. No shitty cheesy humour to translate over, and awesome as fuck action sequences - Human v/s Titan, Titan v/s Titan. I mean just imagine the first invasion arc on the silver screen culminating with Eren's first titan transformation.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I have no idea why Attack of Titans hasn't been suggested yet. The setting is European so Hollywood shouldn't have any casting problems bar mikasa, maybe. No shitty cheesy humour to translate over, and awesome as fuck action sequences - Human v/s Titan, Titan v/s Titan. I mean just imagine the first invasion arc on the silver screen culminating with Eren's first titan transformation.
it has actually been suggested multiple times on both pages lol

I don't think it would be a great movie though. The good thing is that it isn't that hard to cut out parts whithout altering too much of the story and i think the story would actually appeal to western audiences pretty well as seen by the big fanbase that it got rather fast, but the major problem is that one of the animes strong points are the completly over the top action scenes whith multiple people flying around at absurdly fast speed doing flips and shit while chopping up titans and i simply can't imagine that you can properly convert that to a live action movie even with massive CGI effort without a) making it look incredibly awkward or b) toning it down massively which wouldn't be good because along with its rather grim atmosphere and extreme gore (another potential problem) the over the top action of this anime is one of its major strong points and a big reason why it is successful. it propably wouldn't be shit like dragon ball, but i really think there would be better choices.

I really want to see a live-action School Days, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue would make a great movie, as the success of Black Swan would indicate. Most of Satoshi's work would translate well to live action, if you could keep the elements of surrealism without letting them become awkward/cgi.

Another good movie would be Kids on the Slope, it's a fantastic short drama. The hard part would be casting actors who can actually play jazz.

Something like Akira or Black Lagoon would fit best in terms of an action movie imo

Thinking about it, Black Lagoon would work alright. It'd end up like Smokin' Aces, but yeah.

A number of 80s OVA's could work. Gunsmith Cats, Black Magic M-66, Dominion Tank Police etc.

Redline could be a decent Speed Racer-ish movie. Lupin the III too.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually, thinking about it, even Mikasa could be white. Rather-- it would probably be better if she were at least part white (since the actual character is half white-- "Ackerman"). Regardless, in a 2-3 hour movie, I'm not even sure if it would be worth going into the back-plot of Asian people's extinction and Mikasa's family story.

The actress wouldn't even have to be Asian-- just a semi-asian looking brunette would suffice, and fit the actual role better in looks than a full asian girl.

Inversely, a pure asian girl who has more "white-looking" features.

Last edited:

_Tonks_

I could totally see a sick as Gundam movie, but I don't think it'd be able to top Pacific Rim, unless it manages to put Charlie Day in the main lead role.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
There is only one real answer: Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan

lmao jk that would be awful, the absurdism of that anime is ahrd to translate to real time. Still, Kill Bill-esque amounts of blood flowing never disappoints.

But for real Cowboy Bebop instantly came to my mind, a lot of it would be easy to make without fundamentally changing characters or plot. The main plot of it isn't very thick or hard to follow and could easily fit into a film. Trigun does fall in the same category, but getting that right, like said before, is hard to pull off because the main storyline has a lot more to it than Bebop. Then again though, Hollywood ain't my thang too much so I could live without a blockbuster based on an anime :]

Mia Wallace

Banned deucer.
I could absolutely see FLCL being a hollywood movie, As well as Cowboy Bebop. However, not sure if they'll be the "Best", but they'll certainly be talked about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)