Warstory? NO! War Video! TTar likes to Dance!

Warstory? NO! War Video!

http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/QxHWcWUJfhsalsDE.html

Props:
Fun game against a cool guy. Ken is the former SSBM USA, MLG and World Champion.
Whirlwind pulled my TTar into play for free
Taunt stops Whirlwind and Painsplit FTW!
2x Dragon Dance TTar = OHKO on Medicham, PorygonZ and Salamence

Slops:
Swampert missed his Stone Edge
Let my Mence die to Dusknoir Ice Beam :(
Dusknoir vs. Dusknoir is SUPER boring
Hit the wrong button and used an Earthquake against Skarm. :/

Seriously though, I'm NO pro. Criticisms and advice are both welcome!

First post.
Overall, it was an OK battle.
Too bad there isn't any pokemon that resembles Marth, lol. Maybe Scizor, since Ken always plays with Red Marth.

Hmm I wonder what's Mew2king's favorite pokemon.

That wasn't really a great fight. His only way of stopping TTar was by trying to keep shuffling in salamence to intimidate and he made the mistake by keeping skarm in to let you DDance up (useless to keep skarm in on all TTar for the most part because of the threat of taunt). If he had seen the Taunt coming and swapped in medicham into the taunt intended for skarmory that would have made the fight interesting since you would probably have had to swap out the TTar. Your opponent's bad play helped you out a lot, but anyway, good win.

EDIT: We also didn't see all your team right? But if your way of killing other dusknoirs is with your own dusknoir then you might have a bit of a problem with them. Or if you rely on salamence to kill dusknoir then Ice Beam(wasnt expecting that on dusk)/Ice Punch is a problem obviously.

2nd EDIT: Also nice video work. Its a nice change from the usual war stories

Thanks! Surgo gave me some pointers too so I'll learn from all the responses. I'm trying to improve. Fortunately, this time around, my opponent was a little careless and I got a win.

Honestly stopped watching when he had his Electivire Ice Punch your Swampert. I do like the concept of War Videos though, little more exciting then most stories.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Unlocked. Even if the battle was uninteresting, maybe constructive discussion can come from it.

I like watching battle videos well enough, I've watched a few on Youtube, but I really don't like it as much as a warstory. It's just not as engaging without the commentary, IMHO.

This was one of the more well-done videos, though. I really dug the music. Much, much better than the boatloads on youtube that just use Top 40 trash (enough with Fallout Boy already).

There's been enough criticism about both of your battling skills, but they didn't leave nearly as sour a taste in my mouth as the flee at the end. It's not as if he was in a stall war that wouldn't have ended for 10 minutes or anything, that match would have been over in two turns or so.

Warstory? NO! War Video!

http://gameroom.mlgpro.com/view/QxHWcWUJfhsalsDE.html

Props:
Fun game against a cool guy. Ken is the former SSBM USA, MLG and World Champion.
Whirlwind pulled my TTar into play for free
Taunt stops Whirlwind and Painsplit FTW!
2x Dragon Dance TTar = OHKO on Medicham, PorygonZ and Salamence

Slops:
Swampert missed his Stone Edge
Let my Mence die to Dusknoir Ice Beam :(
Dusknoir vs. Dusknoir is SUPER boring
Hit the wrong button and used an Earthquake against Skarm. :/

Seriously though, I'm NO pro. Criticisms and advice are both welcome!
I was wondering if any SSBM Pros also played Competitive Pokemon.

It was kind of dumb for Ken to stay in on the obvious Swampert that would kill his Electivire.

1st of all, he used Ice Punch, which is 75 Base and 100 accuracy and neutral damage. If he was hoping for a KO, using an Earthquake or Cross Chop would be the way to go, both doing neutral damage and with 100 base. Cross Chop has a higher chance for a critical, which if he did get a critical, it woud've done a heck of a lot of damage.

Swampert's a freaking Water/Ground Pokemon. I've never seen a Ground Pokemon that didn't use Earthquake in at least one of their standard movesets.

He really should've swapped into his Skarmory. Layed another set of Spikes, then whirlwinded.

It's nice that war videos are becoming more common, they are a lot more exciting and interesting than stories, perhaps until competitor comes out. However, the battle itself was poorly planned by the opponent.

Again, thanks for the criticisms and advice folks. I appreciate learning from the most hardcore competitive players.

To be fair to Ken, he may have meant to hit with Cross-Chop or some other move and just pressed the wrong button. I did it later in the battle with that waste Earthquake against Skarm. Sometimes mistakes like those can ruin your entire battle plan and it wasn't even mental. It might have just been a slip of the finger.

Also, don't judge him on the flee at the end. I thought it was funny and Ken and are I good friends so I didn't think it was a problem. In my mind, its like turning over your king in chess once you know you are defeated. Maybe the other guy doesn't get the satisfaction of checkmate/KO'ing the last pokemon, but the opponent resigns and you win anyways.

For those of you wondering how to do this yourself:

I recorded it by placing my DS down on a desk and angling the screen up slightly. Then I pointed a MiniDV cam at the screen, sitting on a tripod for stability. I recorded the match and just left the DS on the desk the entire time, hitting the attacks with my stylus below the view of the camera. I used a firewire (USB works too) cable, streamed it into iMovie and then sped it up to 4x speed, added music and saved it to .mpeg.

On a PC, you can do the same thing with MovieMaker, which is free, and a USB cable if your video camera supports that. I highly recommend speeding the battle up because obviously, at 4x speed, it takes far less time and is still very easy to follow. I really hope more of these start to pop up. Thanks again!

Lol @ the comments:
Why would salamence know draco meteor. That is a sp. move while salamence is a phys. sweeper. How do i know this?
Anyway, onto the actual battle. Any particular reason you used Cloyster instead of Forretress? Forretress has significantly better resists as well as the ability to run stealth rock, spikes, and rapid spin like your Cloyster. The only difference IIRC is the 4x weak to fire, whereas cloyster is neutral...

The free setup that Skarm let your T-Tar do cost him the game. Although, with Taunt on your T-Tar, you could have easily switched into Dusknoir much earlier, taunted, and then dragon danced.

After the two DDs, it really was game over for him. Looking at the speed tiers list, T-Tar would be in the top speed tier with only like CS Weavile above him. Focus sash would have also saved him, which demonstrates the importance of both the scarf and sash.

There was some nice prediction going on here. Blissey comming into the Draco Meteor was nice... but very risky. It could have been a dragon-dance physical Salamence, which would have been game over for you. Lucky it was Specsmence however.

Yeay, I was wondering why didn't Electivire switch to someone else... In my opinion, you should've kept Spiking since ThunderPunch would've done shit damage anyway (assuming Dusknoir has 236 attack (neutral, 0 evs) vs 441 defense (bold/impish, 0 evs) would do only 20%-23%.

he did bring the mence in against pert though - the only way i could see someone doing that with a physical variety of salamence would be a risky attempt to scare a switch and a free dd.

i think it's reasonable enough to assume the meteor

Any particular reason you used Cloyster instead of Forretress? Forretress has significantly better resists as well as the ability to run stealth rock, spikes, and rapid spin like your Cloyster. The only difference IIRC is the 4x weak to fire, whereas cloyster is neutral...
Mostly because I had a shiney Cloyster with a good nature and stats. I've got a friend breeding a Forretress for me so hopefully I can train one up soon that can take its place in my line if I feel like he will work better.

Also, that video service that I used is the MLG Game Room and not only is it free like other online video things, but its designed specifically for gamers. So if you want to upload a video there it'll be a lot easier to find that sorting through all the random YouTube videos of people singing the pokemon theme song.

Honestly stopped watching when he had his Electivire Ice Punch your Swampert. I do like the concept of War Videos though, little more exciting then most stories.
Same here..

But ya, I like videos a bit more.

Maybe tonight I'll borrow my girlfriends digital camera and record somethin. idk

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ken made some pretty dumb moves. Leaving Skarmory to struggle, leaving Electivire in... I didn't realize the music was from Smashing Live (or whatever that CD was called) until near the end when I heard the clapping at the end XD

War videos are kinda cool. Hopefully people make some of better matches.

Yes, that music is from "Smashing Live." I freakin' love that CD.

I would love to see some better people make videos. I'm more of a visual/experiential learner than I am a procedural learner, so watching videos and battling myself helps WAY more than just reading war stories. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are the same way, so videos of great battlers going after each other would be AWESOME.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)